Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
theradioflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

That's some good explanationing there Jim I recommend using your expo function as well. It makes the movent around the center of the stick slower so it's not as sensitive and jumpy. It's great for foamies and 3D airplanes. I would use something like -30% to -50% expo on your aileron, elevator, and rudder. Make sure you check it out before flying though. For Hitech radio's you want these as -% not +%.
I run expo on all of my planes now. There is no right amount of expo, it's all in what you feel in the sticks. I've had too much expo in planes and I felt I didn't have enough throw around the center of the stick. I hope that makes sense.

Blessings,

Jay
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Wnuk

Speaking of expo, I think I may have to add some to my heli flying. It's something I never did before but after today, I realize I have a bad habit.

We had great weather here this AM so out came the B400 and it accompanied me to the local soccer field today. All was just right to do the first loops of the season. After a warmup pack of figure 8's and stall turns the B400 said "Turn me loose!". So on the next pack, I granted that request. On the first pass, we went up for a loop and this is where my bad habit showed. At the top of the loop, I was "leaning" on the stick and ended up giving some left aileron unintentionally. This brought the heli directly over head but at least coming out of the loop. It got behind me but I quickly got her back, thank goodness. Together we did 5 more loops that were uneventful. It seems I have a bit of a habit of not pulling the elevator stick straight down but actually more at an angle, thus that left aileron input. I believe a little bit of expo will help reduce that bad habit. I'm thankful to have a flying heli after that first attempt

Jim
Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

Speaking of expo, I think I may have to add some to my heli flying. It's something I never did before but after today, I realize I have a bad habit.

We had great weather here this AM so out came the B400 and it accompanied me to the local soccer field today. All was just right to do the first loops of the season. After a warmup pack of figure 8's and stall turns the B400 said "Turn me loose!". So on the next pack, I granted that request. On the first pass, we went up for a loop and this is where my bad habit showed. At the top of the loop, I was "leaning" on the stick and ended up giving some left aileron unintentionally. This brought the heli directly over head but at least coming out of the loop. It got behind me but I quickly got her back, thank goodness. Together we did 5 more loops that were uneventful. It seems I have a bit of a habit of not pulling the elevator stick straight down but actually more at an angle, thus that left aileron input. I believe a little bit of expo will help reduce that bad habit. I'm thankful to have a flying heli after that first attempt

Jim

I do the same with my F-16 (LMAO). I have to THINK about having the stick straight back or it goes into a loop/roll which sux if yer not expecting that.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Wnuk

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Did I mention I had to change shorts when I got home?[&o]
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
JPEE

Hi Jim,

A quick question? Do you use a Dx6i on your 400 with your 401 gyro?

Thanks
JPEE
Old 04-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: JPEE

Hi Jim,

A quick question? Do you use a Dx6i on your 400 with your 401 gyro?

Thanks
JPEE

Yes, I still use the DX6i. The one that came with the B400 didn't have the recall issue nor did the AR6100 need the firmware upgrade. Guess I was one of the fortunate ones. The 401 works normally with the DX6i.

Jim
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
JPEE

Thanks Jim,

I was not aware the there was firmware issue with the Ar6100e RXs. I have 4 in use on my fliers. Can you share what their issue was?

Thank JPEE

Kinda funny we are speaking Blade 400's and we are on page 400!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 AM
theradioflyer

I'm glad you saved it Jim Speaking of upgrades, I should probably upgrade my hardware from CP to 400

Blessings All!

Jay
Old 04-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Wnuk

Upgrade? Heck, we don't upgrade. We modify!

Jay- Here is a quick tease. I did some work on the Decathlon this past week and took it out back to run the G38.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIDi1rGXNU8

JPEE- I am getting back to you this evening with answers from your PM.

Jim
Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
crashcrash

Upgrade? Heck, we don't upgrade. We modify!

Jay- Here is a quick tease. I did some work on the Decathlon this past week and took it out back to run the G38.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIDi1rGXNU8

JPEE- I am getting back to you this evening with answers from your PM.

Jim
Jim....it sounds exactly like my Homelite chainsaw....LMAO. It's sweet....I gotta say.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

[]

J Wnuk;

VERY NICE ..... like I am SUPPOSED TO BE ( an old fogey ultra conservative ) I need to make an observation here

I did that project about 25 years ago with the BUD NOSEN 1/4 SCALER......I had a QUADRA 35, different but not all that much , from
what you are using.
Watching your film it is VERY NOTICEABLE that the HORIZONTAL STABILIZER is vibrating quite seriously. Please accept my recommendation
to INCLUDE A BRACE of supporting wiring all around the stabilizer/fin area... for this you need to cut three holes Stab x 2 + 1 vertical tail
make some kind of metallic strap and connect them all around.......even piano wire with metal links should work nicely.
I am going to watch again to make sure if I did indeed see what I think I saw.
Still, watch out
************************************************** ****************************************
ok SECOND TIME AROUND :
I went back and looked CLOSELY again at the film. I believe I see some supports on the tail surfaces. They seem from a distance to be
very very thin wire......
STILL the horizontal surface is vibrating WAY TOO MUCH........ add to that the AIRBORN STRESSES and I believe (hope to be wrong) that
we are looking at trouble lurking....... DECATHALONS are meant to be acrobatic ( !!! ??? )))
that vibration is stressing all the glue joints..... if ZAP was used ! ? ) even a double application of alipathic would still worry me. RICK
I am wishing HARD that I could fly that plane .
Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Wnuk

Not only are you very observant Rick, but you are also very wise. Thanks much for the advice, I am taking it seriously.

There is 1/8" solid guide rod back on the stab area, it's tough to see in the video though. The first one I built didn't have the guide wires but this one does. Though the crash that took out the first one was engine related [] I also used epoxy to join the horizontal & vertical stabs together and to the fuse. Something else that can' be seen is underneath the horizontal stab I used some triangle stock as additional bracing.

You are very correct though, there IS a lot of tail vibration in the video. The largest reason is likely because I put an un-balanced prop on it. I just grabbed one from my drawer for the test run. Once I get it balanced that should reduce most of the vibration. Another cause is that I didn't use soft mounts for the engine. I like to make my own mounts when I can. Keep in mind that I'm just putting this back together after 2 years of being a hanger queen. To get it flight ready again there are many things that need to be done yet.

Next it's on to the smoke system then reprogram the throws and setup. I also need to replace the TX & RX batteries before I fly heragain. Still a few weeks away but I'm working on it.

Jim

edit- Rick, anytime time you come to PA you are more than welcome to fly her. I'm sure she would appreciate your graceful touch
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Barrrick

great . one more thing : if you don't YET have a smoke system, PLEASE CONSIDER the TEJERA system of smoke :
www.theXTREMA.com
ooops : wrong address : GO HERE INSTEAD : http://www.tmenet.com/index2.htm

from the home page pick "Products" then follow the leads, you even get videos, etc
Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Barrrick

just for relaxing, run into a tiny question :

Using the DSMS TX that came with the original CX-2.
have been using it to ALSO fly the mCX......
today I returned to the CX2 and find that three functions are now REVERSED ! (?) ( YAW - AIL - ELEV ) throttle works OK
so I opened the little window in the front of the TX, and there are 10 microswitches.
No combination seems to give me a correct setting for using the CX-2 again

QUESTION IS : does anybody know where the INFO is for what switch settings apply to a case like this ?

I am PUZZLED [&o] =============RICK
Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

great . one more thing : if you don't YET have a smoke system, PLEASE CONSIDER the TEJERA system of smoke :
www.theXTREMA.com
ooops : wrong address : GO HERE INSTEAD : http://www.tmenet.com/index2.htm

from the home page pick "Products" then follow the leads, you even get videos, etc

Is this the one you are refering to?

Note I took that image to show you the guide wires also.

I don't have a solution for your CX2 issue, I don't remember much about that radio system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80944.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1178113  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
theradioflyer

Man Jim, that sounds awesome and looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing smoke dump out from underneath in some graceful up lines[8D] How cool.

I maidened two planes today and both had my heart racing. The first was 3DHS edge540 40". I had it so tail heavy that it was darn near uncontrollable. I ended up breaking the landing gear plate as I tried my best to land her. I fixed it and move the battery forward and the next flight was much better.

The next was the F-16 and the helmet cam was on. The first throw was terrible and I bounced it off of the ground, ( big puff of dust and all ) but I manage to climb out and put some major up trim into her. This thing hauls the mail[X(] I flew most of the time around 1/2 throttle and it still cruised. My heart is still racing after today's activities!

F-16~ http://www.vimeo.com/4110045

Have a Blessed and wonderful Easter All!

Jay
Old 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Man Jim, that sounds awesome and looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing smoke dump out from underneath in some graceful up lines[8D] How cool.

I maidened two planes today and both had my heart racing. The first was 3DHS edge540 40". I had it so tail heavy that it was darn near uncontrollable. I ended up breaking the landing gear plate as I tried my best to land her. I fixed it and move the battery forward and the next flight was much better.

The next was the F-16 and the helmet cam was on. The first throw was terrible and I bounced it off of the ground, ( big puff of dust and all ) but I manage to climb out and put some major up trim into her. This thing hauls the mail[X(] I flew most of the time around 1/2 throttle and it still cruised. My heart is still racing after today's activities!

F-16~ http://www.vimeo.com/4110045

Have a Blessed and wonderful Easter All!

Jay

LMAO....you flew it like you stole it (F-16). For take off....you gotta have a BUNCH of up elevator trimmed in, dial it back out once yer up there...IS THAT THING A HOOT OR WHAT? I flew mine today with the new landing gear system installed. I thought I flared enough, but the nose wheel grabbed and flipped it....zero damage though....Happy Easter to all...even Arrow (LOL).
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

just for relaxing, run into a tiny question :

Using the DSMS TX that came with the original CX-2.
have been using it to ALSO fly the mCX......
today I returned to the CX2 and find that three functions are now REVERSED ! (?) ( YAW - AIL - ELEV ) throttle works OK
so I opened the little window in the front of the TX, and there are 10 microswitches.
No combination seems to give me a correct setting for using the CX-2 again

QUESTION IS : does anybody know where the INFO is for what switch settings apply to a case like this ?

I am PUZZLED [&o] =============RICK
Hello Rick,
If you have a CX2 manual on page 19 there are the settings for the CX2 transmitter.
1. UP
2,3,4,5, down
6,7, up
8,9,10 down

Good Luck there Rick and I feel good I was able to help....................JPEE

Name:	Om32812.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1178170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82824.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1178171  
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Wnuk

Dang, Jay! That thing is hauling the mail! I can't believe the speed from it. Not only is it quick, but it looks to be a bit of a shadow up there with the grey paint scheme. That makes it twice as hard to fly. What a superb job you did on her! Now try and catch your breath!

Jim
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM
crashcrash

Dang, Jay! That thing is hauling the mail! I can't believe the speed from it. Not only is it quick, but it looks to be a bit of a shadow up there with the grey paint scheme. That makes it twice as hard to fly. What a superb job you did on her! Now try and catch your breath!

Jim
Every time you fly that F-16.....you pee a little, and it takes 20 minuets to get blood flowing in your hands again after you land...totally a white knuckle experience for sure.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 PM
theradioflyer

I had so much up trim to add on the maiden that it wasn't funny. It went straight to the ground and I couldn't believe that it hit wings level and went back into the air I'll post a quick clip of it on vimeo shortly. The jet goes out of view because I didn't have the camera set low enough on that flight. Your right on the peeing a little and heart racing... what a blast. That's why we do this, right?

Vic, was that landing on grass? I bet you could grease it in on pavement[8D] The ground is so rough this time of year.

Hey Jim, what camera did you use to film that run up vid? the quality was perfect.

Here's a pic of the belly after the first toss and bounce

Blessings!

Jay

Name:	Rp44762.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1178213  
Old 04-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Barrrick

RESPONSES (various)

J.Wnuk : YES that is the Xtrema smoker. At least it looks just like one. You'll be amazed.
thanks for the complimentary commentaries. I am doing RC since 1957 and I guess it is
part of me ( or was ! ) .... a vibration like that would WORRY me forever.

RADIO : makes me wonder if I would 'STILL' be able to fly and handle something like that (?)
that is great great flying, great camera work.....only the tiny bug on the lens distracts in that film
I compliment you sincerely, that is GOOD AIRWORK.

JPEE out in Sunny CAL : but of course, """THE CX-2 MANUAL""" feeble mindedness is becoming
a constant.[]....now why couldn't AYE have thought of that ?... Please receive my thanks many
times over. Now I find that the CX-2 will not rise much above 6" off the ground. It's been left unused
for months, maybe it has rusted over.

GREAT HEARTFELT THANKS TO ALL OF YOU !............RICK always on F.M. (feeble mind)[&o]
Old 04-11-2009, 09:15 PM
theradioflyer

Thank-you Rick, I'm sure you would fly her well[8D] You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, heck I couldn't fly two planes at one time. There are many things that you do that few others can match. Your Blessed!

Here's the very short clip of me bouncing the f-16 of off the ground on my first toss. I wish it showed when it hit and the puff of dust it made[&:]

Video~ http://www.vimeo.com/4111438

Blessings All!

Jay
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

I had so much up trim to add on the maiden that it wasn't funny. It went straight to the ground and I couldn't believe that it hit wings level and went back into the air I'll post a quick clip of it on vimeo shortly. The jet goes out of view because I didn't have the camera set low enough on that flight. Your right on the peeing a little and heart racing... what a blast. That's why we do this, right?

Vic, was that landing on grass? I bet you could grease it in on pavement[8D] The ground is so rough this time of year.

Hey Jim, what camera did you use to film that run up vid? the quality was perfect.

Here's a pic of the belly after the first toss and bounce

Blessings!

Jay
Yeah...grass landing. I know the mains hit first, I could hear it. When the nose touched, she grabbed and over she went (put on bigger front tire now). NOW>>>>>>I got a question about yours. WHERE did you set ZERO on the elevons? It's supposed to be 1/4" from the bottom of the fuse...front of the elevon. I have found that having them zero at flush with the bottom of the fuse is better, you don't have to trim as much up elevon for takeoff, but for straight and level flight at 3/4 throt, you may have to trim a little down from center....if you understand what I'm telling you. It was sooooo cool, wasn't it (first flight with the F-16)?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
theradioflyer

Vic, I had them set @ 1/4" from the bottom. Trimmed out and flying @ 3/4 is close to an 1/8 or a little less. Mine balances about a 1/2" in front of the cheater holes. I could likely go back with the CG but I want to fly her more before I do that because it glided in well for the landing.
First flight you ask? VERY COOL!

Blessings and Happy Easter!

Jay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.