Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 02:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

A few years ago, at about this time of the year, we had a series of break-ins at our clubhouse. A cooker and stocks of alcohol were stolen and the door was destroyed. We repaired the damage, fitted a stronger door and installed a camera in a tree opposite the entrance. After a few weeks it filmed a young couple in a small white new Toyota stealing a drum of electrical cable which had been stored in a shed on the site. We were unable to see the car's registration but small Toyotas are fairly rare in our part of France, most of the locals preferring French marques.

We made a copy of the film and presented the evidence on a DVD disc to the local gendarmerie. They didn't tell us anything but they must have recognised the couple and presented them with the evidence thereby inadvertantly revealing the location of the camera.

A few days later the camera was stolen!
Old 12-18-2021, 06:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

A compilation of three flights with the Big Guff on 10th November which explains why I am sometimes wearing a blue fleece and sometimes not!

The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 09:14 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Military !!

I think this is so funny.
Joined the Military Nov 1969, went through Commo training as well pole lineman. Got orders for Vietnam I was 5' 3.5 in...98lbs they made me a tunnel rat. Started growing to 6' 137lbs. Called me a worm. Came back to the USA they put me in the honor guard for 2 years. Now off to Germany 🇩🇪. Back to Communications. Etc......
. Since I was Tactical Communication Chief, Taught Electronic Warfare to the AF, Was Project Officer of Aircrew Training Devices, and retired after 7 years as Management Engineering. 47.5 years total... What I'm getting at,, doesn't matter what life throws at you.. make the most of it at that moment.
Originally Posted by donnyman
Gentlemen

I was told, If you join the military be sure to get into a technical field and avoid the fighting end of the military get them to teach you something that can be useful to you when you get out, riflemen are not used in civilian life. why die or get maimed for a country that puts you in a diminished position.

I say this to say If our so called leaders had to physically lead in the battles they would put more thought into the waging of war, a bullet wound can encourage a lot of thought. I followed the advice and found out it was true. If they had to walk in the common mans shoes they would be careful to see the shoes were better made, so I decided not to put my life in jeopardy for those sitting in their ivory towers. If I am wrong then why are so many of our fighting men living on the streets in need of medical care and such, suffering?

The common man if not polluted by the politics of others for the most part is honest, kind, and will do good toward his fellow man.
More important is to remember WHY these men died, who profited? what good was done?

I am going to be chastised for what I have said but I could not contain my self. I am sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:55 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
A compilation of three flights with the Big Guff on 10th November which explains why I am sometimes wearing a blue fleece and sometimes not!

https://youtu.be/218ZhH1wBDM

I think the Guff made the flight of birds jealous!
Old 12-18-2021, 10:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

The piano piece which accompanies the flying footage is by Frédérik Chopin who used to spend his summers near to where I live. The college in Aigurande is named after him.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:52 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think the Guff made the flight of birds jealous!
The birds are the Common European Crane. We often see them flying over our field, usually in October, thousands of birds in huge flocks. They are on their way to their winter grounds in Southern Spain and North Africa.They are the harbingers of winter! In the Spring they will fly north to Russia and Scandanavia. The small group which Frans captured on film on 10th November must have been amongst the last to migrate.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

I found an interesting story in the news this morning. I hope you can access it David.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bombed-na...161507192.html
Old 12-20-2021, 06:50 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you for that Mike. Very interesting. Not many of them left now.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Perhaps you gentlemen may be interestred in the following which I remember only too well. The helicoptor pilot involved was from the US Navy on an exchange programme.

Was it really forty years agao?

How time flies!

The Penlee lifeboat disaster : "Truly the eight bravest men I've ever seen"

Let us remember with respect: Trevelyan Richards (56) – coxswain, James Stephen Madron (35) – 2nd coxswain/mechanic, Nigel Brockman (43) – asst. mechanic & fisherman, John Blewett (43) – emergency mechanic & telephone engineer, Charles Greenhaugh – landlord of the Ship Inn, Mousehole, Barrie Torrie (33) - fisherman, Kevin Smith (23), Gary Wallis (23).

On the night of the 19th December 1981, in horrendous storm conditions, the mini-bulk carrier ‘Union Star’ suffered engine failure east of the Wolf Rock. Refusing tug assistance, the ship found itself being swept towards the coast at Boscawen Point, west of the Tater-du lighthouse.

The Penlee lifeboat 'Solomon Browne' launched from Mousehole in total darkness, 100 mph winds and waves cresting to 60 feet. A naval rescue helicopter from RNAS Culdrose found itself unable to lower a winch due to the strength of the wind, and it was left to the lifeboat ‘Solomon Browne’ a 47ft wooden Watson Class boat, to make the attempt to rescue the ‘Union Star’s’ complement of eight, which included the captain’s wife and two teenage stepdaughters.

By this time, the ‘Union Star’ was just 300 yards from the rocks. Time again, the lifeboat, also with a crew of eight, made approach runs in mountainous seas, and the helpless helicopter pilot could only look on in the wavering rays of his searchlights as the tiny lifeboat was repeatedly hurled onto the ship’s deck, then swept off again but, in this way, its crew managed to grab four of the stricken ship’s crew and get them aboard the lifeboat.

“We’ve got four off,” the lifeboat radioed to the coastguard as she prepared to make yet another run in towards the ‘Union Star’ then, as the coastguard repeatedly tried to raise her, there was nothing but a shocking silence. Only when daylight came was the devastating truth realised. The ‘Union Star’ was a capsized wreck in the shallows, and the lifeboat had been smashed to matchwood, with total loss of life – the entire crews of both the ‘Solomon Browne’ and the ‘Union Star’ had perished.

The helicopter pilot, Lt-Cdr Russell Smith USN, was to write: “The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen, or am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee (crew) when it manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60-foot breakers and rescued four people shortly after the Penlee had been bashed on top of the casualty’s hatch-covers. They were truly the bravest eight men I have ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI.”

Old 12-21-2021, 05:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

They were Heros in every sense of the word!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

They were Heros in every sense of the word!
Yes and two of them only 23 years old.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Here is a video I think this group will appreciate:

Old 12-23-2021, 05:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got a surprise today, my son gave we copies of the final WWII Operations report and Aircraft report. If you would like to see them PM me an email address.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Merry Christmas Gentlemen and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Peace on Earth, Goodwill To All Men.

warningshot (12-29-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 05:46 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Good morning and happy holidays everyone. Here's wishing you all a God blessed, safe and enjoyable time.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Merry/Happy Christmas to you all! David, since you like WWI aircraft and you are in France I thought you might enjoy a build of one of France's less than successful prototypes of the Great War.

Mike
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Biplane-Canard
Old 12-24-2021, 08:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

Guys, herer is a link to some OPS reports from WWII

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cezc2lpo7...LtZYke1ka?dl=0
Old 12-24-2021, 03:14 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Merry/Happy Christmas to you all! David, since you like WWI aircraft and you are in France I thought you might enjoy a build of one of France's less than successful prototypes of the Great War.

Mike
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Biplane-Canard

Old 12-25-2021, 12:50 PM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Merry CHRIST (THE REASON FOR THIS SEASON)mas! TO ALL

Last edited by donnyman; 12-25-2021 at 12:52 PM.
warningshot (12-29-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 06:58 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Merry CHRIST (THE REASON FOR THIS SEASON)mas! TO ALL
AMEN! And too you too!
Old 12-26-2021, 07:14 AM
stingray67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get some help regarding transmitter/receiver. I posted similar question elsewhere on site and no one answered. I new to forum and not very knowledgeable Re: RC. I built a Dumas Chris Craft a few years ago and recently was given a Traxxas Villain that came with no Transmitter, controller (not sure proper term). I wondered if there is a way to control the traxxas boat with the same unit that controls the Dumas boat? It is a Futaba Attack T2DR. Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:38 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Happy holidays to you stingray67

I do not have the answers you seek but You have many options open to you which would be enhanced if you would fill out your avatar profile to let people know where you are located. You may have neighbors close by that can be of great help where you live

finding a means to control your model is not complicated as long as you use the proper radio medium (air or ground frequencies)
There is a section on this site that is dedicated to boats and that is where I would start for that medium.

Don't get discouraged the info you seek is available .............. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2021, 09:30 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Stingray 67 your transmitter is an old two-channel Futaba AM design. This transmitter was made for surface vehicles like cars and boats and they were available in a number of different frequencies to suit the legal requirements of different countries. If you live in the USA I'd suspect that it transmits on 27M Hz or 75MHz. You need a compatible AM receiver, preferably a Futaba to fit in the Villain.

These transmitters and receivers have not been made for decades but someone may have one kicking around which you could probably get for nothing. You may also need compatible crystals.

Donny's advice about putting your question on the boat forum of RCU will probably bring better results.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-26-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:25 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys!! Merry Christmas to all - a bit belated but I had the chance to spend it with my son (who I get to see every 4-5 years, with luck) and, wouldn't you know it - along with him and his latest news, I find out that my youngest granddaughter is engaged too.

GREAT Christmas!!!!!!!

Hey, got a question - - might anybody around here have a set of WWI-era wheels, 3.75" diameter, that they might care to part with? I've been searching everywhere I could think of and it's just not coming together. Friend of mine is building an old (new old stock) TF Elder-40 and that's what they call for. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:05 AM
stingray67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat radio

Thanks for information, I think I did post this in boat section and no one answered. I just joined this forum and am still trying to figure out how it works. I will provide more info if I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.