Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
erdnuckel2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hello guys,

and sorry I missed to upload the picture of the lower rotor head problem last night - here it is!:

http://www.rcline.tv/photo/1829/prob...from-3dpro-set

Regards,
Sven
Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Electrotech

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the discussion on the brushless Motors! Here i have just successfully modified the big lama assembly into an Airwolf size 400 fuselage. Without the battery weight it is about 480 grams. Here are the things that i have done:

1) Extended the shaft using screw driver
2) Using Walkera Lama 400 Blades
3) Tested with Walkera Lama 400 1200 20c mah battery and (flying time about 10 to 12 minutes)
4) Tested with a 2200mah 20 to 30 c battery (flying time about 3 minutes)
5) Using original stock motors and not the Extreme 380 Motors

Summary-This is a different flying experience as compare to big lama. With 1200mah this heli could fly against moderate wind and with the 2200mah it has no problem with the stronger wind. Today's wind condition was a bit strong and if i fly the original big lama, i guess it has not enough strength to go against wind. So far so good and have not experience any side dive problem yet-hopefully no more side dive problem

I believe this heli could take the 1500 to 1600mah battery without problem. It was nice flying the Airwolf and enjoyed every minutes by looking at the heli

Below is the comparison photo of Big lama, Airwolf 400 and Walkera Lama 400 and please enjoy the video too. Have a good day!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqzekEA9z0[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79539.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1247154  
Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM
rusty63

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2

Hello guys,

and sorry I missed to upload the picture of the lower rotor head problem last night - here it is!:

Regards,
Sven
Thanks for link . The misalignment is very noticeable .
Hi Jestine ,Your Lama does flyfine on those Blades , There weren,t cut back at all ? Russell<u> Jestines vid </u>
http://www.youtube.com/user/technoelect
Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: rusty63
...If in future if i feel like i need more speed . Will look into lighter Flybar Weights . But think i will just buy du-bro generic collars from lhs . cheap like $3.00 aus packs 4 .
Hey again Russell,

I don't think any wheel collars are very heavy - you might have to buy A LOT and string them along the flybar!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. I bought 4 x weights from a lama4 size adjustable flybar - two for each side from [link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60]helitek-rc.com[/link] - but I see that they are temporarily OUT-OF-STOCK now.

Name:	Xv65053.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1247574  
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
erdnuckel2

Yet again there would be a German solution to the problem ... off course, unfortunately pricey ... and that's how most of the time people don't really like to hear about stuff that is more expensive ....

... still don't understand why - everybody always says "you get what you pay for" but nobody ever really wants to pay ....

anyway, please ignore, I am just rambling/ thinking loud ...

.. but there, you get flybarweights specifically made for big lama - even a little heavier than the original rubbercovered brass, look a lot cooler ... adjustable through grub screws ... you can basically just cut the end of the original flybar, file a little flat for the grub screw, adjust, secure with thread lock ... .... .... have fun flying! (and to be REALLY secure, you could still make a little L bend in the flybar again)

so for everyone who don't wanna hear it ( )

Check it out: peterstoecker.bplaced.net/shop/product_info.php (looks weird - really hope the link works)

BTW, there you can also take a look at the new Skytec aluminum flybars for BIGLama ....

Regards,
Sven

PS : it's mentioned there, but if anyone misses it - the weight weigh 11.95g (i think thats about 0.3oz) ...
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 AM
sgbfly

Check it out: peterstoecker.bplaced.net/shop/product_info.php (looks weird - really hope the link works)

Regards,
Sven
Hi Sven,

Great link. Interested.

unfortunately pricey ... and that's how most of the time people don't really like to hear about stuff that is more expensive ....

Regards,
Sven
I love premium products and appreciate your links. However, I think the reason is in the last sentence of post #996

Best wishes

Simon

Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 AM
pgroom_68

Yet again there would be a German solution to the problem ... off course, unfortunately pricey ... and that's how most of the time people don't really like to hear about stuff that is more expensive ....
... still don't understand why - everybody always says ''you get what you pay for'' but nobody ever really wants to pay ....
anyway, please ignore, I am just rambling/ thinking loud ...
.. but there, you get flybarweights specifically made for big lama - even a little heavier than the original rubbercovered brass, look a lot cooler ... adjustable through grub screws ... you can basically just cut the end of the original flybar, file a little flat for the grub screw, adjust, secure with thread lock ... .... .... have fun flying! (and to be REALLY secure, you could still make a little L bend in the flybar again)
so for everyone who don't wanna hear it ( )
BTW, there you can also take a look at the new Skytec aluminum flybars for BIG Lama ....
Regards,
PS : it's mentioned there, but if anyone misses it - the weight weigh 11.95g (i think thats about 0.3oz) ...
Hey again Sven,

I don't know why they made their weights heavier than Esky - 'cause if adjustable flybars tell us anything - it is that we need LESS weight! Still, they are well made and (you're right) they do look good[sm=cool.gif]
There are some things that I don't mind paying as much as they are worth - but DEAD WEIGHT is not one of them....

Those Stytec aluminum flybars look interesting though[sm=50_50.gif] (Skytec™ Präzisions-Rotorkopf (oben)
inkl. Stabilisator für Bi @ 23.50 EURO) - converts to AUD$40.12 + shipping to Australia - which puts them out of the question for me.....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Could you tell me what range of KV rating is best if I was to buy brushless motors for the Big Lama?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 AM
erdnuckel2

&lt;meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />&lt;meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" />&lt;meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Generator" />&lt;meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Originator" />&lt;link href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Sven\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_fi lelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="country-region" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:Br eakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetE xplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if !mso]>&lt;objectclassid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object&gt;<style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><![endif]><style type="text/css"><! Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}></style><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal">
ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
Hey again Sven,

I don't know why they made their weights heavier than Esky - 'cause if adjustable flybars tell us anything - it is that we need LESS weight! Still, they are well made and (you're right) they do look good[sm=cool.gif]
There are some things that I don't mind paying as much as they are worth - but DEAD WEIGHT is not one of them....

Those Stytec aluminum flybars look interesting though[sm=50_50.gif] (Skytec&trade; Pr&auml;zisions-Rotorkopf (oben)
inkl. Stabilisator f&uuml;r Bi @ 23.50 EURO) - converts to AUD$40.12 + shipping to <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region></st1lace> - which puts them out of the question for me.....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Could you tell me what range of KV rating is best if I was to buy brushless motors for the Big Lama?
Hi Peter,

I agree - I don't know why the weights were made heavier than the original ones either - 'cause you are right, according to the guys in the different forums already the original weight is too much. But there are some guys in the German forum who already bought them, and when they publish specific reports on how the differences are, I'll let you know
There is - though - another way, which I took (because when I got my Skytec stuff, they didn't have the Large weights yet) I installed two weights of the small ones for the little lamas on each side {http://www.rcline.tv/photo/1579/skyt...addelstangen-2 } which makes it about 6.9g on each side. Once I have any real comparisons, I will report my findings.....

Now as far as the price for the "flybar" is concerned (btw, you may have a typo there, or I am looking not at the same pages you did - but in Hardys shop I only find the part for 28.50 EUROs) here is the deal (before you tell me that is even more "out of the question" )
Skytec went a different path than the other manufacturers ... as an initial purchase, you will NOTget ONLY an adjustable flybar. The other manufacturers make a aftermarket product which they intend to be compatibel with the original plastic product or more than one aftermarket product of other manufacturers (just think back to all the different flybars for different rotorheads you can get for the "little" Lama)
Opposed to this, the unique Skytec approach is to offer this as a combo right from the beginning (the 40 AUS$ + s&amp;h would not be the price for a plain flybar)!
Your quote ".gif] (Skytec&trade; Pr&auml;zisions-Rotorkopf (oben) inkl. Stabilisator f&uuml;r Bi @ 23.50 EURO) - converts to AUD$40.12 [u]+ ..." translates (i will leave the part with the price out,ok?) into:

Skytec (TM) precision UPPERROTORHEADinc. FLYBAR for Bi ......

does this make the price look different? What you get is a 7075 aluminum upper rotor head with an INTEGRATED adjustable weight flybar. If in any case something gets damaged in a crash or you loose a piece, you can get the flybar rods in long or short or the weights (in heavy or not so heavy) as spares. And the QC at Skytec is a lot stricter as it seems to be in <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region></st1lace> at the moment (see my post about the missaligned lower rotorhead) I am not exactly sure, but you should also be able to get the flybar hub as a spare.

Regarding your question about the kV ranges, I have only preliminary results ... the range I heard about up to now is from 1800 kV to 5200 kV, depending on different factors, the most important of which is probably pinions and battery.
Right now, nobody here is really dying to convert their bird to brushless, right? But in the german and another english forum there are already various people doing the conversion right now (or are already done converting) I think the best way at the moment is waiting for their findings.
The guys in <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">germany</st1:country-region></st1lace> opted for a brushless AND boardless setup, one of them with 5200kV motors, the other one with 4500kV motors (if I don't get anything mixed up right now). The 5200kV guy also seems to plan on using 7.4V instead of 11,1V (actually makes sense, because you get a wider variety of cheaper batteries)
THe "plug-and-fly" brushless kits rely on a converter solution and the motors they use are around 3000kV to all I know. Those were just installed by a few people on another english language forum.
all of those guys will surely report findings soon, and I would say, that is a solid ground to build on ....

.... so lets just see what happens ... for now?</p>
Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
erdnuckel2

This merits an extra post

TATAAAAAAH

as everyone may have noticed, today is August first, so NOMOREJULY!!

do I have to say anything else ( ..... blades ?!? ...)

... ahem yes! Why am I not surprised. Anyway, its not only Xtreme making promises in the forums and not keeping them - they are not alone ... M.Aguello from MIA design is another one of those cases - he promised a new Canopy for CX2/Lama about a month and a half ago - still nothing ( but at least it hasn't been promised since march)

sorry, the M.Aguello remark slipped in the wrong thread - that should be at Lama4

Sven
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM
pgroom_68

This merits an extra post
TATAAAAAAH
as everyone may have noticed, today is August first, so NO MORE JULY !!
do I have to say anything else ( ..... blades ?!? ...)
... ahem yes! Why am I not surprised. Anyway, its not only Xtreme making promises in the forums and not keeping them - they are not alone ... M.Aguello from MIA design is another one of those cases - he promised a new Canopy for CX2/Lama about a month and a half ago - still nothing ( but at least it hasn't been promised since march)
sorry, the M.Aguello remark slipped in the wrong thread - that should be at Lama4
Hey again Sven,

Thanks for the info re. BL motors. I guess the best idea is to just wait for the German guys to agree on a motor and pinion combination that works for them, and save some money until that information is posted. They seem to be at the forefront of technology changes - and I mean that in a good way!

Yeah RE. Xtreme Productions[:@] They are starting to irritate many people now - including me - with their delay tactics!
There is also a guy that I know of who has been designing & building a small coax "alien design" heli. But he is taking a very long time to get it into production also..... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8111721]Here[/link] is an info link - to Richard of Jarel Design. I've almost given up thinking he will never complete these ready for sale - I'm on a short list to get one a.s.a.p!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Would turn a few heads with Nav Lights
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
erdnuckel2

that space ship looks AWESOME!! and you are right, it would turn even more heads with nav lights ... let me know, when you got yours

in terms of awesome design ... have you ever heard of Prof. Luigi Collani?? The guy does industrial design for decades now and one of his ideas went into a heli that is actually already sold in germany.
But it was too expensive for me to get there on top of all the other ones I already have (a few of which were actually total unnecessary waste of money ... - not that they were bad - just bad investments ...

anyways, heres the link to the collani copter:

http://www.shop.erlebniswelt-father-...case::390.html

regards,
Sven
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
sgbfly

Hi Sven &amp; Peter,

I think the Sktec flybar weights are trying to match the combined weight of the stock flybar weight, rubber cap and hook of metal. Seems about right to me (within a gram anyway).

I am tempted by the whole kit. Still seems a little expensive and I would guess the price will have to drop a bit when further choice comes to market (Xtreme? lol!). If I could use the 3dpro blade grips with it (or mod them), it would be great.

Bye for now.

Simon
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
erdnuckel2

Hi Simon,

you DID see they also have blade grips now, right? And yes, let's wait and see when Xtreme finally brings their Big Lama stuff to the market ... after anouncing it for about half a year ...

Once they do, I may try to get the Xtreme stuff too, just to have a first hand possibility of comparing the product ... but that is all still in the future.

Sven

Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM
sgbfly

Hi Sven,

Yes I did see the grips. They look great like all the other stuff. . One Skytec Idea I like is upgrading the top bearing housing (ie top of outer shaft). On my helicopter this is an area that introduces a slight vibration because the plastic part is not quite right. All the Skytec stuff looks well designed and (as far as I can tell from pictures) seems to address some of the problems of the 3Dpro and stock set up.

Anyway this will have to wait a while. I already have a cnc kit , which once I took off my rose tinted glasses, was not great. But, I learned loads from it and after some careful mods to it turned it around into what it should have been.

Next mod will probably be extreme motors. I would like to have about 20% more power and still get comparable battery life. From what Peter and others have said it should work out well. I have read the brushless stuff with interest and I am tempted.............. .

Simon
Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
erdnuckel2

No worries guys,

I'll keeep you all updated on the newest developements regarding Skytec ... it's not quite the time to buy yet for anyone NOT earnig their money in EUROS .... if there's something new, you will read it right here!

Regards
Sven
Old 08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Guys,

The [link=https://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=695&osCsid=5 a11b2b0f21394820e8233f339e16bfb]Xtreme 380 motors[/link] are only out now because they were designed ages ago for the Honeybee FP! (You will, of course, need two) I think that if Xtreme were to start designing them now they would be available to buy in 2012[X(] - I'm not kidding! I don't like their track record.........[:@][:'(]

Peter
P.S. It would be nice to see all of the Extreme Production products for the Big Lama released all at once - and THIS week! (all would be forgiven pretty quickly - I assure you all)
Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM
scalz

Rained all day here in CT, USA. Decided to explore why my Big Lama was flying so erratically.
I think I finally figured it out. See picture below. D'OH!!!

Scalz

Name:	Ge94782.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	1248844  
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: scalz

Rained all day here in CT, USA. Decided to explore why my Big Lama was flying so erratically.

Scalz

ROFLOL

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
RC_Addiction

ORIGINAL: scalz

Scalz

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Buz

Just be very glad that it wasn't BART in there!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 PM
scalz

ORIGINAL: Buz

Just be very glad that it wasn't BART in there!

If it was Bart in there I would double my liability insurance!

Scalz
Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Buz

Ha!

Ok, I just took a brand new BL out of it's box and made sure it flew ok. Now, it's on the bench and I'm looking at this top rotor extension set I bought. Aren't these kits supposed to come with a metal head and fly bar retainer?
No fly bar either? Now, I'm bummed out. I put all three of the mod sets in a cabinet in my shop and I was SURE I saw the fly bars in there. No? Hmmmm..... [&o]
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
erdnuckel2

Hi Buzz,

not sure what you mean by "flybar retainer" ... but I already have bad news for you: NO, there is no flybar included in the set (the only company, where you buy a upper rotorhead and get the flybar right with it, is Skytec Germany).
You might, btw, also take a look at the lower rotor heads in the set. The guys in the german forum found out they are slant. Please take a look at the following picture that I took of mine:

3Dpro supposedly acknowledged the production mistake and the guys supposedly get replacements once the "new and improved" ( ) heads are out. (at least that is what the emails are supposedly saying ... I know, there is a lot of supposedlies, but you should still check the rotor heads and email to 3Dpro, if yours are slant, too.)

Regards,
Sven
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
dchin62973

I had the same problem. X-treme productions just takes too long. I had a bad experience using the 380 x-treme motors for the E-SKY HBFP that I decided to make everything brushless. If you notice, the higher end electric helis all use brushless motor systems in conjunction with LIPO batteries and the 2.4 GHz RX/Tx technology.

Anyway, I got rid of the all body canopy that was a pain in the neck to take off or just to replace the carbon brushed motors. The problem with the X-treme motor and the stock 370 carbon brushed motor is that they still uses brushes. Evern if they are replaceable, it's still costs to get the replacement brush. And these motors heat up so fast. These are very inefficient motors.

With the twin brushless motors and separate canopy and tail boom, the E-SKY BIG Lama is great to fly. No thermal fuses to stop your flight during mid-air flight. The brushless motors stay cool to the touch so no heat sinks are required at all. Get the shaft extension with the Walkera 400D co-axial blades and its awesome. The video below is a modified E-SKY BOL with a twin brushless motor system and a seperate canopy and tail boom supported by the Super Skids 300 landing gear system and an upgraded 11.1v 1,000Mah 25c LIPO and Walkera High performance blades.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq06QXvPCyE[/youtube]

E-SKY BOL with Twin brushless motor and L.E.D. lights for night flying ..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjLV4AKV1vI[/youtube]

Old 08-04-2009, 11:25 PM
rusty63

Hi Dc , How can i see videos . Is there any links you can provide . Russell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.