Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

Wow, and I was complianing about the Mazda website being down!

That's crazy...and when that happens, you realize how much we take modern communications for granted....

Those HAM guys are all setup to communicate when normal methods fail...sending radio waves over the air almost always works, as long as you have power for the equipment...

I'll bet it was a mess!

I was reading that you guys out there might have a grasshopper population problem??!!! Is that a factor around Lincoln, or mainly out on the farms and what not?

Every so many years here we get LOCUSTS....there are what seems like millions of them when they come out of hibernation or whatever they do...lol...

I just got back from flying after work, got some nice practice in, flew the 450 Pro twice, and broke out one of the CCP2's...it was fun, but it was struggling in the wind/breeze a bit.

I did some adjustments to the 500 and took it for a little testing...and it's alot better now, I feel alot more comfortable with it.

I was reading an article in RC Heli by Burt Kammerer, and he was saying how he didn't think it was a good idea to fly different helis, he is of the idea that a beginner should stick to just one heli, so as to get used to it completly, and you will learn faster.

Not sure how I feel about that....one thing is for sure, it takes a completely different approach to fly the CPP2 in some wind, compared to the 450 Pro...with the CPP2, I have to use the full throw of the sticks at times to maintain control...if I did that on the 450, it would be in the dirt...lol...

Anyways, hope you get some flying in, how's the weather?

How are the projects going?

Glenn
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I haven't really noticed any grasshoppers in town.

That is good you got to fly today.

The weather has been pretty good. It has been around 60-80 degrees. I don't think I will be able to fly anytime soon. I have been sick for a couple of days.

I have been working on my glow starter recently. I changed the design a little. I made the output adjustable and it is working pretty good now. It just needs a better filter. I found a website that has formulas for helping me pick the values for the components. So I ordered the new components along with another LCD. It is my first LCD with a backlight, so that will be fun to mess around with.

Nick
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sorry you are sick.....hope you feel better soon, and can get out and fly..

The weather here is supposed to be great for the next few days at least, so I'm charging packs now...I've been really lucky so far on getting the field to myself...hope it lasts a big longer until I decide what to do about a club.

Good to hear you havn't seen any grasshoppers...lol...but it sounds like they are on the way...

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...owtopic=178965

Hope they don't attack your flying field or it may be a dirt field...lol...

Cool on the new components, and esp the backlit LCD, what color is it?

Those backlit displays on the Turnigy chargers are impressive...very bright blue, and highly visible, some of the best I've seen for good visibility, especially for a bargain basement charger like that.

Have fun, and get well soon!

Glenn
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

JPEE,

I am using the Futaba S9650 so can't help you with your 520 question. The black covering on the servo wires is electrical tape. I used tiny dabs of superglue to help route the wires exactly where I wanted them and figured the electrical tape would protect the wires from the glue, esp when I have to remove them ... it wouldn't take part of the wire sheath off with it.

The reason for the glue was IMO the wiring had to be a bit more precise to route around all the gears and so zipties weren't giving me enough control - I found some wires were still moving around and could possibly get caught in the TT gears ... so superglue time.

Glenn,

Hope you had a chance to fly later in the day.

Yep, the screws are stainless steel and they use a 2 mm instead of a 1.5 mm hex driver. Very, very nice. I already stripped one of the 1.5mm into plastic screws and had to replace that - happy my kit came with several extras. You really have to be careful with the screws for the front battery cover, anti-rotation thing, and tail servo holder - as they all use -into plastic screws and are a tighter fit.

I really try to keep the 450 on a tight leash b/c being the size it is, not too hard to loose sight of orientation. I really did get lucky and am looking forward to some flying this weekend. Can you believe temps in the lower 80's - yeah baby!

Mark

P.S. - Had to show you all our trip to the beach yesterday with the little one.

Mark,
That all sounds like very sound building, thanks. I have not had time to open my 520 so we'll see. I cannot! imagin a 450 size heli would have a step down.

I got to do some flying today. I haven't been out in a week and a half.
500 (2) flights
600 (1) flight
Micro P51 (2) flights
Apprentence Plank (1) flight

NICK GET WELL SOON
Good news on your electronics too

Glenn,
Glad you got the 500 turned and it flying well!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That grasshopper problem doesn't sound good. Yeah I hope they don't come to my field too. It is surrounded by farm land.

The datasheet said the backlight is White. They didn't have a picture of it on, so I don't know what it is going to look like. I just chose the cheapest one I could find.

Nick
Old 04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
rotarydoc

Mark,

Thanks for the info on the screws...I have all stainless on the 500 from a company called RTL....and they are nice for sure!

The only drawback I have found is that they are nearly or completely non-ferrous....so they don't stick to magnetized screwdrivers....normally I don't depend on that too much, but on the Trex 500 motor mouning screws, it's almost a must to have a magnetized ball driver to get them started where they are located...and I found out about the stainless being non-ferrous one day when I was changing pinions...[sm=omg_smile.gif]

I guess it's a minor drawback, but one worth mentioning....

Yeah, I'm not much of a high/far away flier....not like JPEE...lol, he goes out until they are a dot...mainly because I don't have the room to do that...but even if I did, I'd keep it a bit closer, rather than risk losing a heli at a high altitude like that...

I have a problem with the field I fly at as far as flying against a backdrop of a treeline, it's really easy to lose the heli in the bare woods that are there now, before they get leaves and stuff...I see you use high visiblity tail blades....a really good idea, for sure.

Here's a good example of that, minus the poor video job on my part;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RliNKiLb41k

That's great that you can take the little one to the beach!! He's a cutie for sure! Looks like a nice beach there too!

Glenn

Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

My electronic parts came today and my glow starter is working a lot better. The switching device doesn't even get warm and the filter works great all the way up to 5A like I calculated.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Guys,

My electronic parts came today and my glow starter is working a lot better. The switching device doesn't even get warm and the filter works great all the way up to 5A like I calculated.
See Nick, I told you, you would get it done. It just a little time. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn, nice flying! I watched you flying that heli in the shop video too. I really dig the way you can nose in funnels in the shop, I envy you man.

JPEE
Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Nick,
Great news on finishing up your glow starter. I'm really trying to envision this but can't really see the switching device and filter (?), any pictures to go along? No jokes about picture books either. Hope your feeling a bit better now.

Glenn,
Glad to hear you finally got a chance to fly some of your birds. Congrats on getting the 500 working right.

I don't think I agree with the notion of only sticking to one heli, however for a beginner I can see his reasoning. But as your skills improve it is nice to get a feel for how different size heli's perform and the difference in stability. As of now, I have no idea how a 500 or 600 size heli feels - I just go by what others report when they go from their 450 to something larger. Of course I do look forward to the day when I do get a 500 (oh happy day ) - may wind up waiting until Align gets thier new 550 out later this year.

The stainless steel screws are a much better grade then the stock screws for sure! Plus, they give a better overall look. Yeah, you really do need some type of magnetic hold for those pinion screws. Can't imagine crawling around the floor looking for one of those.

Haven't had the chance to see your video, will try in the morning after work. I agree completely about the treeline - sometimes the heli just about blends into nothing.

JPEE,
Okay, are you slowly turning into a plank flyier?? Nice to hear you got to fly your bigger birds as well as your planes. I'm sure after all the work you've been doing on the house it was well deserved.

Mark
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 AM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

May everyone be safe and have a happy Easter. Whether you go to Church, stay or visit with friends or family, God Bless you all and our troops all over the world that are away from what we have here.

JPEE
Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

Sounds cool on the mods to improve the glow starter/switching device....and I hope you are feeling better!

JPEE,

Thanks for the kind words, those videos are old, seems like a long time ago! Glad to see you got some flying in too after all the time cooped up in the house and all...

Mark,

No rush on watching the vid. And I agree, maybe Bert was addressing less experienced pilots, and/or if you are trying to learn one new specific move, for example, you might want to stick with one heli to practice it over and over....

I didn't get to fly today, had to work on my buddy's Trailblazer...but he's the one that helped me with the shed project, so I certainly owed him on that one....should be nice later on today...hoping I can get some flights in then, PEOPLE permitting...lol...

Glenn
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I will try to take a pic of my prototype glow starter later today. I had to redesign the circuit board to work in a bigger case, so I started on that last night. I hope to get a finished version sometime this month. I have a lot more school work this quarter, so I could easily see this project getting put off longer.

I am feeling a little better. I mainly have a chronic cough now.

Happy Easter guys.

Nick
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

Here are the pics of my glow starter. The two large components in the bottom right of the first pic are the filter. The black part with the heatsink in the top right of the first pic is the switching device.

The second pic is how I envision my power panel. The top left switch is the on switch and the banana connectors to the right are for the starter motor. The the bottom left switch is for the fuel pump along with the banana connectors for it to the right. Then there is a push button below that to turn on and off the fuel pump. The banana connectors to the far right are for the glow plug. I want the LCD to display the outside temp, the battery Voltage, and the current draw. I might also add a bar graph for the Voltage of the battery.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ec88100.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1411722   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp44462.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1411723  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Mark,

Here are the pics of my glow starter. The two large components in the bottom right of the first pic are the filter. The black part with the heatsink in the top right of the first pic is the switching device.

The second pic is how I envision my power panel. The top left switch is the on switch and the banana connectors to the right are for the starter motor. The the bottom left switch is for the fuel pump along with the banana connectors for it to the right. Then there is a push button below that to turn on and off the fuel pump. The banana connectors to the far right are for the glow plug. I want the LCD to display the outside temp, the battery Voltage, and the current draw. I might also add a bar graph for the Voltage of the battery.

Nick
Nick,
Very impressive! Well done
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Nick,
That is absolutely incredible. There is definitely a talent in that work.

Are there any solder joints holding the components or are they just on the other side of the board? I bet when its done it will look very professional, unlike the wiring mess I made when I tried to hook up a transportable battery to my engine starter for my planes.

Glad to hear your getting better.

Glenn,
Good to hear you had the chance to help out your friend that helped demolish your shed. One good turn deserves another. Hope you weren't too tired to get a chance to fly later in the day.

Hope everyone had a good Easter. Even though I have to work tonight we did get a chance to dye some eggs tonight, so now I get to go to work with multi-colored fingers. Yes, the Paas kit's do come with a wire holder for the eggs but it really is very flimsy and easily drops the eggs when your trying to lift them out of the dye. So hence the colored fingers.

Mark

BTW, we are leaving for a week trip to Orlando tomorrow morning so will have to say good bye for now. Planning on moving down there in the coming months so am interviewing for some hopeful positions. Both fingers crossed. Catch you all on the flip side of the week. Take care...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

There are tiny springs in each hole that holds all the parts. That type of board works great for prototyping. Once I get the circuit board I am designing I will solder the parts to that.

Good luck at the interviews.

I put some banana connectors on my starter motor today. It was a used starter motor I got for free from a guy I fly with. The big alligator clips didn't work too good and showed stains and burn marks. I accidentally shorted the battery out once with them. Once I got the alligator clips off the wires looked old and deteriorated. However, I can now plug it into my power panel and it works just as good.

Nick
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
jroo

Hi all!

Ihope everyone had a great Easter weekend.

Iwent down to my parents how and got to fly 4 packs on the 400. Had to stop at 4 due to a crash.... Iwas having a great time when on a turn, it seemed that the tail just gave out. The result was demolished main blades, broke main blade grip holder, bent feathering the and main shaft; the typical. Surprisingly the mani gears is still like brand new...

I'll be hitting the 2010 Heli Fun FLy here in Austin Tx this weeked and will report back with video and pics!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a nice Easter. I stayed pretty busy most of the day, and when I did go to fly, it seemed everyone had some sort of outdoor activity going on, like an all day picnic at my main field. Oh well, I don't even get upset anymore, just figure I'll find an opening later on sometime.

It's supposed to be nice this week for the most part, so maybe I'll be able to get out then. I was busy yesterday with eBay stuff, I had to ship some stuff out, and listed more stuff that I want to sell. I did pretty well on the MSR, other MCX, and the CX2, there is definitely a market out there for used stuff if you ever feel the need, no shortage of interested bidders...

I caved in to my gadget addiction, and got an Apple iPad today... Hence, the listing on eBay for my old eBook reader, and a netbook....lol...

Nick,

That panel looks like it will work out great...and I like the glow starter circuit. Is that big coil of wire a filter of some sort? I have seen those on some stereo equipment from the 70's that I have.

Cool on the plans for the power panel. I like the ambient temperature idea...always good to know with a nitro engine to tune...

I had really good luck when I attached a 3S Lipo to my engine starter for the Raptor, it had great power, and lasts a long, long time, and it is all self contained that way, no wires. It worked out alot better than I imagined it would, that is for sure...but nothing wrong with the power panel route, the Pb battery will have alot of reserve power for those hard to start events that sooner or later happen with nitros...

Mark,

Cool on the Easter egg coloring...I remember getting that stuff on my hands helping mom to color eggs...I imagine it hasn't changed much since then...lol...

I didn't get much flying in this past weekend, but it was good to get my buddy's project done and out of the way...and I certainly owed him one, this was nothing compared to the shed demo..[X(]

Good luck on your interviews down in nice sunny FLORIDA...

If you land a job down there, you definitely won't have to worry about any more snow!

Glenn
Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That iPad looks pretty cool.

Yeah, the big coil of wire is an inductor and part of the filter. It helps keep the current flowing when there is a demand for it. The capacitor is also part of the filter. If you open up your TP charger there is a good sized inductor as well. I think it is on the bottom left part of the charger.

Nick
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
rotarydoc

NicK,

Cool, thanks for filling me in on the inductor....I think I may have heard that name before...

I am typing this on the iPad, it's a heck of alot easier than a iPhone!

Definitely cool Apple really knows how to make products people like...

Hope you get over your cough soon and can get some more flying in soon!

Glenn
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,
Snuck in some 450 pro build time today. I got the couplers soldered to the ESC that lead to the motor and the other end to the battery. Then got that all hooked up so I could center the servos. I pulled the TT out of the bag and found the center drive rod tweaked at opposite side of the TT from end to end, in simple english: the center bearing was cockeyed in tube! The HK carrier is inferior to the TREX system. Not only was it pounded down in, but it is held in place by two o-rings. Oh! did I mention the bearings? there are two in the HK sleeve system and were both KNOTCHY and had to be junked. So off the LHS to make another upgrade.
JPEE
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Sorry about the bearing problems.

Nick
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Not much new here, just HOT! It was 91 or so here yesterday, and the same for today, about 25 degrees higher than the normal for here this time of year...and some nice wind to go along with it.

It seems alot hotter, since I am not adjusted to it yet, everyone is complaining about the heat!

JPEE,

Thanks for sharing the shortcomings on the HK. I figured there would have to be some shortcuts and quality issues with a heli at that price point...

Good luck in finding all the stuff you need, hopefully the end result will be good. I guess worst case would be having to get the "real deal" Align stuff to replace the inferior parts, but you'd still be way ahead of the game price wise.

I may try to fly a pack or two tonight after work....I've been slacking lately, have to admit that I am absolutely amazed by the iPad, and have been spending most of my evenings with it, instead of the helis...lol...it will wear off eventually, but it sure is a cool toy for now!

jreue,

Sorry about the crash, but at least you got 4 flights in before hand...I hate when I go out and crash first thing...kinda ruins the day, ya know?

Cool on your fun fly this weekend, be sure to let us know how it was!

Nick,

How are you feeling? Hope your cough is better.

Any flying plans for this week or weekend?

Mark,

Have some fun in Orlando in between interviews!

Glenn
Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I still have a cough.

I have been swamped with homework, so I don't really have the time to fly soon.

Nick
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

Sorry I have been low key but this house remodle is kicking my keester. The drywaller left yesterday and today I met with an Aspestos Abatement Co to get a bid to tear out all of my ducting. But ahead of me is new base boards, door casings, ducting, tile, paint and on and on. We are at least two months out yet. Thats only because of all of the subs getting scheduled in order.

Glad you feeling some better Nick. Glenn , good luck with the Ipad and enjoy. I have charged every battery I have and have the 500-600 and T-28 in my trunk to try and fly in the morning, yea right! We have had wind wind wind and up to 60 mph gusts. It is to be a windy tomorrow but not quite as bad.

Forgive me guys for being short and not jumping in like I used to, just buired with this "stuff".

JPEE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.