Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
jroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

I see you post tid-bits about your friends HK heli every once in awhile, and notice you have one on your signature. With the understanding that it is a clone and not pure Align quality, what do you think about them? They worth it? Albiet it may not compare fully to Align, what about compared to a Blade 400? Step up, step down? Worth it to try a 500 size?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
jroo

Afro,
You recommended the S9650 for a rudder servo. Is this too slow? It's .14 sec/60 @ 4.8v. The S9257 is much faster 0.08 sec/60 at 4.8V.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:29 PM
evdreamer

Jreue,

The 9650 is a popular tail servo for the 450 sized. I used to use one on a Belt CP a year ago and it worked pretty good. I currently use a 9257 on my 450. I couldn't tell a difference between the two, but I never did 3D with the 9650. I think you need to do some modifications to make a mini sized servo work in your 400. I think Glenn has a mini sized servo on his 400, so he could help you out with the mods.

Nick
Old 04-15-2010, 10:58 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

I did some flying the past couple of days/evenings, and everything is going great, feels like I am getting back in the groove a bit more now....

I guess I'm gonna have to give in and join the AMA, since it's already getting difficult to find a place to fly...I have been going to the horse track, but a different spot, which is much larger than the old one. It's about a soccer field and a half...so it's pretty nice. I never used to be able to fly there, because there were always people there, it's kind of a park type thing....but ever since they posted a sign saying "NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN THE PARK", it is empty alot more......lol..

Just flying the B400, trying some new stuff, and if I mess up, I'd rather have it happen to that...and the 450 is starting to rattle the motor bearings again, so I'm going to take it easy on it...I want it to last for the open house at my heli club on May 1st. I want to go there and see what it's all about when there are actually people there, and flying. I have only seen it when it's empty, and no one is there.

I'll probably put the Scorpion motor in it after that, unless I am bored sooner....but there is not any easy way to go back to the stock motor, since I have to change motor connectors on the ESC I think, and I know I have to enlarge the motor screw holes...so I'm going to get all I can out of the stock motor before I switch over....

JPEE,

The 450 is getting there! Hope you have some time to devote to it again soon...sounds like you have been busy troubleshooting your friend's helis...

Nick,

Good luck on the new board...hope it works out for ya...

Practice makes perfect, you'll do better the more you do..

BTW, I just got a new FLUKE meter for work, and I LOVE it...it's a model 115, pretty basic. They make special automotive ones, but they are super expensive, and we have a laptop PC that does alot of that kind of test work for us...

I just got a leather case for it, and a cool industrial duty set of leads and alligator clips...nice stuff!

jreue,

Nick is correct, I am running a 9257 on the B400, and I love it, no issues, I have never given it a second thought since I installed it...but I gave it lots of thought WHEN I installed it...it's not exactly a bolt on deal...it does require some tweaking and mods to get it right, but once it's on there, it's awesome.

I attached some pics...

Did you find the source of your noises?

Hope eveyone has weather as nice as mine has been the past few days....excellent flying weather here lately!!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72984.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1418865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31527.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1418866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71703.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1418867  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:06 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is good you have been having good weather and have been able to get some flying in.

I have been drilling into my power panel case for all the connectors and switches today. I just need to cut out two big switches and the LCD opening.

I checked out your Fluke meter online. I like that it can measure frequency and capacitance. You can't go wrong with a Fluke.

Nick
Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 AM
evdreamer

Guys,

Here is the case for my power panel. I was hoping to use my dremel for the LCD opening, but it didn't cut the plastic very well. I don't think I did too bad for not having the right tools for the job.

Nick

Name:	gd93540.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1418927  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Nick,

That powerpanel of yours is looking good - great job with it. Sounds like its been a fun project. I am sure you will not have any problems with this circuit board as it seems you've been testing out all the features along the way of the build.

Glenn,

Good deal on getting a chance to fly. Spring time can really be tricky with the wind always kicking up early on and with everyone wanting to get outside after a winter of 'cabin fever' - doesn't leave much space for us. [] I have found that at my field every Saturday morning (around 8'is) there is a soccer game and Sunday mornings are tied up with soccer practice...so that only leaves Mon and Tues mornings for me to fly. Can't really complain though b/c I am fortunate to have a flying space so close to work.

Sorry to hear that your having bearing problems again with your 450 - are you sure you want to chance it on open house? May be a lot of people there and a heli that is showing signs of issues...you might want to just fly the 500 instead.

Congrats on your new Fluke meter - hey, can you deduct that on your taxes next year, as a work related expense?

JPEE,

Things are looking good with the HK Pro - where's the wiring on that thing?!

jreue,

I got my original trex 450 as a pretty much complete package from a guy at my old flying field - just needed a receiver to go. The servo/gyro combo that came with it was the Logitech 2100 and the Futaba 9650. It was fine in holding the tail solid so I really didn't need to change it. I presently have it on my 450 Pro and have had no issues. But in your case since your shopping for a new servo - I would probably go with the 9257 based on the prices are the same and due to the specs.

The question you asked of JPEE on the HK 500...I did quite a bit of research on the various clones because I wanted to explore all possibilities before I made any purchases of a 500. I'm sure JPEE will chime in with his experience of working on a few.

The HK that Hobbyking offers comes in 2 varieties: HK-500GT ($67.29) and the HK-T500 ($49.99). Both have metal alloy frames and so in a crash most reports are that the frames will bend and you will have to rebend them to shape. CF frames can be bought from Xheli ($29) or Hobbyking. Both models also come with a belt driven tail, so if your interested in a Torque tube the TT conversion kit can be gotten from Readyheli ($81). You may also want to look at Xheli's 500 clones: http://www.xheli.com/500.html Also take into account the shipping costs and time, as well as availablility of parts, both stateside and overseas.

Don't forget that these models are barebones only and will need a motor, ESC, cyclic servo's, gyro, and tail servo. Depending on which route you want to take (Turnigy/Volcano verses Scorpion/Hitec/Align/Castle Creations) you can get these from Hobbyking or from Readyheli and/or Helidirect. It just depends on your budget and the type of components you want.

I ultimately decided to go with Align's ESP because the overall price (for what I wanted) was getting way too close to $400 and (at the right time from Flying Hobby) an ESP can be had for around $480. BTW, definitely a step up from a 450.

Mark
Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys, I crashed again!

After the crash that you will see it sounded like I did not have enough pitch to pull me out. I run 12 pos and neg. After stripping her down I found the elevator servo mounting tab was broken off! but yet in place. If you have a 500 then you know that tab is inside the frame and very difficult to see. So I am hoping that after two crashes 7 days apart, and this one being BAD that this will be the cure.
Godda run now its my little girls 37th Birthday!

Main blades

Tail blades

Main shaft

Main and anti rotation gears

Both front and back TT crown gear sets

TT itself

Boom

Tail vertical fin

One main bearing, top.

One Hitec servo case

I must say that tearing the heli down this far made it just like brand new. All bearings got regreased. Now the test will be to take her out and climb really high and try some flips and rolls and see if the pitch is working right. Again as you will see and hear in the video everytime I roll I come close to the ground and the heli sounds like she is struggling and that appears to be the case, "hopefully" and the new elevator case will take the torq!

JPEE [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YpqHrZpDE[/youtube]
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Sorry about the crash. +12 and -12 degrees should be plenty of pitch. I only fly with +10 and -10 degrees of pitch.

Nick
Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Not much going on here, it was really windy today, and then a storm blew through...so not much of a chance to fly today, and tomorrow is forecast to be windy as well, 20 MPH gusts...so maybe Sunday will be my flying day this weekend, the wind is howling out there right now!

Mark,

Yeah, it's time to start thinking about the clubs, as it's getting into that time of year where everyone is doing outdoor activities, and it's harder and harder to find a place to fly.

Yeah, good point on the noise, and the concerns it might raise...I'll see how it goes, still 2 weeks away, I may go ahead with the Scorpion motor a bit earlier than that, or like you say, take the 500, which would be nice, with all that room at that field!

Nah, I'm screwed on my taxes, I don't itemize, not enough things to deduct, so I just take the standard deduction, and do the EZ form...

JPEE,

Wow, brutal crash...sorry to see that, and that earth there at that field does not look the least bit forgiving!!! I hate to see/hear a 500 go down like that...

Sounds like you are well along the way on the rebuild though, so hopefully you'll have her in the air again soon...

Nick,

The power panel looks great! It's fine for your first attempt, who cares if the fit and finish isn't perfect for your first real one?

Looks like you have a pushbutton switch there and a rocker, I guess one is for the fuel pump and the other is for the glow plug power source?

Thanks for looking into the Fluke, it's awesome, if a bit basic. But it's all I really need, and a bit more...I can't think of too many times I'll need the capacitance, or the frequency functions, but nice to know they are there...

I tested the frequency function, I plugged it into the wall socket, and got exactly 60.1 Hz...so I guess my power company is doing a good job of keeping the AC current flow nice and steady...lol...

I don't have a cap laying around to test capacitance, I am thinking you just hook up the leads, and it gives you a uF (microfarads) reading?

I'm going to download and try that iPhone app for the heli tach, and try it on the iPad. I can't use my iPhone, 'cause it's jailbroken, and I can't update it yet to the latest iPhone OS...

I didn't realize that it uses an audible measurement, not optical at all...very cool, and from what I have heard and read, it's quite impressive!

I could also use it on my iPod touch, but I would need to get a small microphone, since the iPods don't have built-in mics...I found some on eBay for $5...that would be the way to go, a bit more portable, pocket sized!

This guy seemed to have pretty good results with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJMyS-IR-c

Hope you guys get some flying in!

Glenn

Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry it has been windy for you.

Yeah that was my first attempt at the power panel case. I used a CAD drawing to help me drill in the right spot. The holes were easy, but all I had was a drill press to cut out the square parts. It might have been easier to use a hack saw, but I don't know if that would ruin the finish. I am working on updating my circuit board, so I can have the LCD attach to the circuit board instead of the case just for fun.

The rocker switch is for controlling the direction of the fuel. Then the push button is the on/off switch for the fuel pump. The silver pot. in the middle is for controlling the power to the glow plug.

I am not sure how to test the capacitance with the meter. I have never used a meter capable of measuring capacitance. The cap would need to be by itself and not on a circuit board or you will get incorrect readings.

That heli tach sounds like fun.

I finally get the weekend off, so I hope the weather is good for flying. If it is windy I might just go and fly anyways.

Nick
Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, it can be difficult to cut nice looking square or rectangular holes in something like that, I guess a dremel cut off wheel might do more damage than good on something like that...maybe a coping saw would do good, but it would be time consuming...

I see better now how the switches are laid out and work. Nice job!

I think the manual that came with the meter explains basically how to check a cap, if I ever have the need...not too likely working on cars, but maybe it would come in handy around the helis now and then...

I'm going to try to get and test that tack this weekend, for sure. Only thing I am not sure of is it looks like you have to kinda "help" it by putting in the headspeed you think it should be...which I guess is OK, I'll be able to make a pretty good guess. I'll have to play with it and see....

I'm glad to hear you got the weekend off, so you can enjoy your hobbies. I have the weekend off as well, but I should be working, we are really slow, I guess tax time has something to do with it, since some people have to pay, and others were not sure how much they were getting back.

Have fun if you fly this weekend...

Glenn
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I was hoping I could use my dremel on the case, but it kind of melted the plastic and didn't cut very good. It cuts CF pretty easy, so I though it would be able to handle the plastic.

I have an old power supply and it wasn't regulating very good, so I thought it was the control circuits. However, it turned out to be the main cap. Electrolytic caps loose their capacitance over time, so it was an easy fix.

Nick
Old 04-17-2010, 12:49 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I have seen when Dremels to that to plastic...pretty ugly...

I used to do alot of stuff with transistor radios from the early 1960's...still have alot of them...alot if times when they are weak or don't play, it's the electrolytics that get dried out, and lose their capacitance/filtering abilities. I have sucessfully re-capped a couple of them, but I also had some that ended up not working.

It's hard to work with 50 year old PC boards and components without damaging some other stuff in the process. The ones that I did fix turned out great, most of the other components hold up pretty well over time...

And some of the caps are very, very difficult to reach, and de-solder, and re-solder in place.

Glad your power supply recap worked out well.

You would love to see the caps on my vintage Pioneer SX-1050, which is a home stereo receiver from the mid 1970's that has a true 120 watts per channel, not rated like todays stuff, it's rated very conservatively, lots of power...

The caps are HUGE, about the size of a can of Campbell's soup...lol...[X(]...maybe larger...

Here's a pic...the REALLY huge thing is the power supply...and the caps are next to it...and that huge heat sink is where the FET's live...

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.co...0_interior.jpg

Quite a unit, for sure!

Glenn
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Aframomum

Nick,

Have you tried a different cutting tool on your dremel? Sometimes if a cutting wheel isn't working you may want to try one of these: [link=http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-burr-cutter/BCU61]Link[/link] You'll have to have a steady hand and use one of these cutters for the rough cutting, then a sanding wheel to smooth out the edges. I've used these in the past on canopies and other plastic projects.

Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That stereo is impressive.

Mark,

I have only been using the tools that came with my cheap $10 dremel from Harbor Freight. Thanks for the link. Those are a decent price.

Nick
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Sorry to hear of your crash. I hate when a crash streak hits us, makes you want to just put things up for a week or two. [] Dont' remember but what motor are you using? If Align, is it the M or the L? Haven't seen the video but will when I get home in the morning.

Enjoy your daughters birthday and forget about your heli's for now, they can wait.

Glenn,

Does your receiver still work? I wouldn't be surprised if it did, those things were built to last back then. Actually, I have an Onkyo unit that has lasted a good 15 years and I just recently replaced it because it didn't have the 5 speaker surround capabilities. Never taken the top off but interesting to see the innerds.

Nick,

I think somewhere along the line I got one of those bits from HD or wallyworld just because I used to do a lot of acrylic work (related to aquarium projects) and so needed something to make decent holes in acrylic. If you back off on the speed and the pressure your applying you can stop the melting plastic thing from happening. Also, try 'pulsing' the pressure you apply the bit to the plastic - may help a bit. Lastly, if all else fails try over a sink with a slow, steady stream of water. Of course the panel can't be mounted to do this!

Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
jroo

I bought a new set of tail blades for my 400. They are actually the Align 450, but they are pretty much the same size. The only difference is they are a bit more 'hooked'. They fit just fine and I think look far better than the stock white ones. COnsidering the different shape, will I notice any difference in flight?

Name:	Om32047.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1419556  
Old 04-17-2010, 11:04 AM
JPEE

Jreue, yes I have the Hobby King 450 Trex Pro about half done on the bench. I'll respond to your questions in depth after I find my price schedule and some other info YOU need to know before buying a cloan. I have a TREX 500ESP but I have been working a guys 500 HK. There are some diffs. You will have some thinking to do.

Glenn, glad you got some flight time in my friend. Enjoy that new Fluke too! The 500 is BACK in the air as of last night. Today new canopy mounts and she is done and ready for some air time. We have rain coming from Monday through Wed poo poo! ! ! !

Mark, I am running the stock L motor. Thank you for the very nice birthday wishes, I can't believe she is 37 ! It makes me think how old I am.....a very young 62 lol.

Nick, your case and meter look to twitchen to say the least. Heck it looks store bought man!

Mark, the wiring is all inside on the down low. I'll post when she done.

JPEE off to the LHS for canopy posts YAHOOOOOOOOOO

Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

The weather is perfect for flying, so I went out to go fly. However, there was a rollover on the highway to my club, so I had to turn around.

I am charging my 450 battery, so I can fly in my back yard. I might try going to my field later today.

Nick
Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Man, it is WINDY here, like 35 MPH gusts...holy crap! Way to windy to even think about a flight, or even testing that heli tach.

Mark,

Those old Japanese made stereos sure were built to last, they are built like tanks! The only known issue on the one I have is that one of speaker indicator lights doesn't work, probably just a bulb...

IF you can find that kind of quality today, you would certainly pay dearly for it...the precision and attention to detail and quality of those units is just amazing.

I made out like a bandit on this one, found it at a thrift store for $40....they bring anywhere from $200 to $350 on eBay... but I think I will hang onto it, it is an amazing piece of electronic/Japanese history.

JPEE,

Glad you got the 500 rebuild done, and are planning a test flight, that was quick!

Hopefully you got the culprit nailed down, and can get out of your crashing rut...I've been there myself!

Glad your daughter's B-day went well.

Nick,

Sorry you got blocked out of your flying club...hope they get the highway clear soon.

In the meantime, I guess it's back to the good 'ole back yard!

Have fun!

Glenn
Old 04-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Got to see the video and have to say that is some nasty looking ground. [X(] Glad to hear that you got the 500 back together and yes, that was faassst!

jreue,

Were you able to get a new servo as well as the new tail blades? I don't think the tail blades by themselves are going to lead to big differences, you'll most likely see that with a servo and/or gyro upgrade. Haven't heard you talk much about your 250 - how's that been?

Glenn,

Yep, spring is here and so is the wind. Looks like you may have to be getting up early to beat the wind.

I notice that most mornings there is no wind when I get off of work, so your looking at 7'is as a good time. Around 9 when I'm hitting the sack I notice the flags behind my house are already blowing around.

One thing I noticed this morning when flying my CPP2 was the bugs are back - yuk! [:@] Going to have to pick up some bug spray in the morning so I don't get eaten alive the next time I fly.

Nick,

Hope the backyard flying works out for you. You are really going to have to scope out your area so you have a secondary flying area other than your backyard!

Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry you can't test your heli tach out sooner.

I tried going to my field two hours later and they had the road cleared off. There were a lot of airplane pilots there enjoying the weather, so I got stuck with the field facing west. So it was hard to see with the setting sun. The airplane pilot that does demos with me was there, so that was cool.

I like the Rotor Rage fuel. My engine didn't start too good with it. After I tuned it, it started up a lot better. I think it has a little more power than Cool Power and I seem to be getting 30 sec more flight time. I got four flights in with my Velocity. My remote glow starter seemed to work pretty good too.

My 450 doesn't seem like it has the power it used too. I left my battery at a storage Voltage, so I don't know what it going on.

Mark,

I used to fly at a baseball field, but it isn't Nitro friendly. I also only have one battery for my 450 and 600, so I wouldn't get much flying in.

Nick
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Aframomum

Nick,

You are so getting spoiled by that nitro with virtually unlimited flying time!

Some of us less fortunate guys (like me ) only have a few batteries and so are limited to 2 or 3 flights per outing.

Didn't you say you had a 500 also? My brain is a bit fried so I can't remember at this time.

Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: jreue

JPEE,

I see you post tid-bits about your friends HK heli every once in awhile, and notice you have one on your signature. With the understanding that it is a clone and not pure Align quality, what do you think about them? They worth it? Albiet it may not compare fully to Align, what about compared to a Blade 400? Step up, step down? Worth it to try a 500 size?

Hello Jreue,

CRY CRY CRY
Here is my costs for my HK
$ 16.79 HK fast shipping
$ 69.00 Heli
$ 108.00 cyclic servos Hitec 65MGs that I had on hand from a crashed Blade 400, but still costed me
$ 71.00 ESC Align that they put in their Pro
$ 60.00 520 Pro Align tail servo they put in their Pro
$17.00 GY48 gryo......... from a Blade 400 upgrade
$ 341.79 TOTAL COST

PS: couple of buck for that new TT bearing too. Somebody find me a bucket, Im gonna be sick.

Jreue, here is a post form myother Forum that also brings some perspective.

JPEE,

I'll be straight forward with you and all the guys. I feel exactly like you do, loosing your shirt, on the 450 Pro. I won't get into all the details, but I did ALOT of research lately on the Trex and CLONES if you will. Trex's are all combo deals right now. You can't get a barebones Trex. Keep that in mind.
I looked at a Trex 450 Sport V3, then, deducted the electronics. Pricing it all out. Ended up, the HK 450 Pro barebones is 70 bucks. The Trex 450 Sport was 130 bucks, barebones. The head on the HK 450 is not a quality head by any means. As you already know, you've had to upgrade to Trex parts. HMMMM, buying the Trex upfront, there's no upgrades. LMAO!

Bottom line, no more CLONES in the Chopper house for sure. I know there's gonna be debates on this, but that's how I look at it. Buy a Chevy or buy a Lexus. I'm right at 400 bucks with all the electrics and motor on the HK 450 Pro TT.

The 500 I just ordered was 438, the gyro and tail servo was 200. A couple hundred more, but Wow. NO UPGRADES NEEDED. A bigger and MUCH better Helicopter.

Sorry guys, just venting,
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Jreue, check this site out. Several of the guys have bought 450's and 500 at more than great prices as your have read
http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=5893

To answer your question directly. If you wanted to build a learning heli and use the 3.00 servos, 30.00 tail servo, a 9.00 40 amp ESC, a 6.00 canopy, 17.00 gyro, 17.00 motor thant YES by all means buy a clone. I have saved about 100.00 per the sales that hobby shop has sold them for on sale. I could have slipped away CHEAP with the less quality stuff. Now I have to add here I was with a 30 year RC flier a week ago. He had the Trex 450 V2 or 3 clone for $39.00 built as I explained. It have 7.00 blades too. He flew pack after pack after pack in 3D but sofe 3D showinf off all of the tricks but very very graceful, it was something to see. Thats all he flies now. He use to fly first cabin if you get me TOP HELI.....TOP EQUIPMENT. He buys most everything form XHELI and HOBBY CITY.

On my 450 I have to replace the TT main bearing and carrier. My main gears are a but wobbly and not level but will work. My buddies were so bad he had to go down and get TREX replacements. So there is the story of having a clones. They do have there place.
Regarding the 450 and 500. I forgot who said it back up the page but a 450 clone will make you throw rocks at the Blade 400. I would offer this fional word. Dont get a 450 but buy a 500 and I promise you, you will thank me. It is easier to fly by far.

forgive any errors I am beat but this should give you the jist forsure.
JPEE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.