Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Now that I am farming I find I am more active than I have been the past few years, but no matter how hard I try I can never seem to get caught up. Too much work for one person.
Sounds about right. My parents grew up on the farm and I had an aunt and uncle who farm their whole lives. They all said the same things. You work from dawn to dust and the work is never done and you don't go into for the money because there isn't any money in family farms.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Sounds about right. My parents grew up on the farm and I had an aunt and uncle who farm their whole lives. They all said the same things. You work from dawn to dust and the work is never done and you don't go into for the money because there isn't any money in family farms.
no there isn't, though not doing it to make money, but to save money as farming the land reduces property taxes. I don't know by how much yet, but by looking at the neighboring properties and what they farm and pay, it could be by as much as $3,000 a year, which would give me a ROI on the equipment of 5 years when the taxes drop. Once equipment is paid by that, then whatever I do make will offset the costs involved with fertilizing, fuel and maintenance. It takes a couple years to fully establish the fields into something productive, so right now I am harvesting junk, and will be lucky if I can offload what I harvest.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 09:07 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

our daughter farmed for a few years. tough business. she made a go of it, but not enough to buy a house or anything close. so she put her college degree to work and is now doing well in human resources, but she misses farming.
it's a shame we don't have more respect for where our food comes from.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:48 AM
acdii

True, however, family farms are becoming a thing of the past, with corporate taking over the thousands of acres. Today, farmers offspring are no longer taking it over, but rather selling the land to developers. Part of it has to due with Capitol Gains tax, part of it equipment costs, and part of it operating costs. These past couple years have hurt farmers pocket books BIG time! 600% increase just in fertilizer costs, topped off with high fuel costs.
bisco (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 09:52 AM
bisco

and the value of land is almost priceless in many areas. the recurring building booms take great advantage of that, and we are disinterested as a nation, as long as the grocery stores are stocked
Old 08-22-2022, 10:18 AM
acdii

Damned right! That right there is key. Just wait, harvests are declining this year due to weather, along with the shortages from the chickens getting bird flu, fires in processing plants, etc. wont be long before shelves are sparse.
bisco (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:03 AM
bisco

in many ways, i'm glad i'm 67. hoping the other side of the grave is less stressful
FlyerInOKC (08-22-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 03:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

I flew my Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer yesterday with my mate Frans, a trainee pilot on the buddy box. The first flight was unremarkable but part way through the second flight the engine, a Thunder Tiger 40 PRO fitted with an OS carburetter, suddenly cut. I landed and the engine started up straight away. I leaned off the slow running jet a little and took off, giving my trainee control as soon as the model was at a safe height. The same thing happened. I glided down to a landing and resolved to replace the glow plug, an OS no.8. Then I discovered the problem. The glow plug was loose! I replaced it with a new one anyway but the old plug would probably have worked if it had been tightened up enough!
Old 08-25-2022, 04:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

The Devil is in the details!
Old 08-27-2022, 08:41 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

This P51D turned up at Old Warden yesterday. I thought that you gentlemen would like to see it. It's powered by a Laser V twin four stroke. Old Warden houses the Shuttleworth Collection of full size vintage aircraft. These are all in flying condition including a 1909 Bleriot which I believe is the oldest aeroplane in the world still in flyable condition.

On two or three days a year Old Warden opens its doors to model aircraft.

Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nice looking bird, very scale looking!
Old 08-28-2022, 07:43 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

I have found out that British aeroplanes coded ZX flew at an operational training unit. They would have had a few war weary machines at the time!
Old 08-28-2022, 07:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Still, even weary planes gave the new pilots a little familiarity with first line fighters. Learning a new weapon in combat conditions can be a bit of a challenge.
David John Davis (08-28-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 08:52 PM
David John Davis

We had an interesting event at our flying field on Saturday. A British registered Mercedes Benz convertible turned up, I went over to welcome the driver and passenger and at first I didn't recognise them. They were Percy and his wife Stephanie. Percy is South African and Stephanie French. I believe that Percy is eighty-four; Stephanie is perhaps ten years younger. They usually spend six months in France and six months in South Africa so that they are always in the summer but Covid caught them out and they spent the last three years in South Africa. It gave them time to get married in 2019! Word is that they own a chateau somewhere near here.

Percy doesn't fly r/c, he's a control line enthusiast. In the back of the car was a control line aerobatic model which Percy had built. He had made a lovely job of it; it was powered by an electric motor running off a 6S LiPo. Percy asked me to recommend places where he could buy a charger. I gave him a list but we have a charger in the clubhouse powered by a solar panel. We charged up his LiPo and he gave us a demonstration of control line aerobatics. When he landed there was universal applause. The event was captured on a colleague's Smart Phone but unfortunately it has been posted onto a well-known social media website so it's not transferable to this site. I will take my camera with me next time I go flying in case he turns up again.

Last edited by David John Davis; 08-29-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:08 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi David/& Old Timers' Gang;

Control-line! WOW! Memories for sure; flew CL, [poorly, just like I fly RC now], but enjoyed teaching a bunch of youngsters, boys and girls how to fly CL with small Cox PT-19s. I still have a few CL kits, + several different CL control handels....U-Reelys', Hot Rock, Fox; and several spools of CL wire leadout cables, [actually, I use these thin braided wire cables for rigging wires on old-timey Bipes and WWIs ships.

One of my first big CL models was a Top Flite FLITE STREAK designed by the late George Aldrich, Texas, + flying wing types like Riley Wootens DEMON and a CG VOODOO, all powered with Fox 35 Stunt motors, Demon with a Fox 35 Combat Special with pressure....had to watch starting this one, as it could be a real finger buster if it backfired. George Aldrich became a good Friend, and was a Nationals CL Stunt Champ for many years flying his legendary, well known TF NOBLER design; I always had difficultly flying CL inverted, usually 3 laps resulting in a crash, and asked George how he learned to fly CL inverted, and do stunt work? He answered: Do you remember the Flite Streak, later kitted by TF? I said yes, and used to fly one; one winter he decided to fly stunt competitively the next year, and needed a good flying/easy to build stunt trainer, and proceeded to build 30 or so Flite Streaks for the upcoming spring-summer flying season; and destroyed 18 of them learning how to fly inverted and doing the various stunt manoeuvours. Also, he said to prepare for winning the US National Championship [1958], he practiced flying 2-3 hours every day prior to the contests.....real dedication, and hard work that paid off. I miss George, he was a great Friend.

Will close for now, I hope you All enjoyed my little diversionary trip into my long ago memories of CL model flying; like Bob Hope used to sing,, 'Thanks for the Memories', best regards, and Happy Labour Day Holiday tor Everyone, from really hot Wickenburg, Arizona,

Little Joey.
bisco (08-30-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 09:05 PM
David John Davis

I had planned to cross to England on 17th-18th September, to spend a week with my partner Trish in Somerset before going on to the Cocklebarrow Farm Fly-in for vintage models on 25th. I had already booked bed and breakfast accommodation in Burford for the Saturday night. However, my sister, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October last year, seems to be in the final stages of the illness. Her steroid and pain killer dosage has been increased four fold and her kidneys are failing. I had a phone call from my brother-in-law yesterday and he said that they had an appointment with the hospice nurse on Monday. He implied that if I want to see my sister while she's still alive, I will have to leave before 17th.

I have things to sort out. Where to leave the dog and whether to drive over or fly but even if I drive over in the two tonner, taking model aeroplanes with me does not seem appropriate somehow. I may still visit the event because there is a three week delay between a death and a funeral in England but I doubt that I shall be be flying. Some things are more important than toy aeroplanes.

Maybe next year.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm sorry to hear about your sister David, I'm sure you must feel gutted. Best wishes to the family.

Mike
Old 09-03-2022, 07:41 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

My father passed of pancreatic cancer 19 years ago. A lot of progress has been made but PC is still a tough one. It's a down side to the Over 50 Club that we have to start saying goodbye to people with increasing frequency. I don't know David or his sister but I do know I've regretted the goodbye's left unsaid.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:49 AM
acdii

This says it all
Old 09-03-2022, 08:36 PM
David John Davis

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen.

I have arranged kennels for the dog and two friends will pick her up on 22nd September when they return from their holiday in Portugal. I just need to cancel my ferry and hotel bookings and book the next flight back to the UK. I also need to buy a decent suitcase. Mine looks like something out of a 1950s film, probably because it was made in the 1950s!

Around me the rape and wheat fields have long been harvested and the cattle kale is starting to poke through. Germination is a bit patchy on account of very dry summer we've had but brassicas are hardy seeds and they'll probably grow with the late summer rains. So the agricultural year comes to an end and the cycle starts again. All in all, it's not a bad time to die, the old must make way for the new after all. My sister will leave behind a daughter and two fine grandchildren for the future. I will be as supportive as I can be to them and to my brother-in-law Ian. They have been married for over forty years. He is going to find it hard.

Last edited by David John Davis; 09-03-2022 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Life is good, I bought gas at $2.99 a gallon.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:18 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Link shared by an Australian poster on Cox Engine Forums, late Judith Durham's memorial service. She was the spark behind the Australian musical group, The Seekers in the 1960's with such hits as Georgie Girl, I am Australian, There'll Never Be Another You, etc. Although was filmed live, video link shows her service from start to finish, two hours long.

vic.gov.au: State Memorial Service for Judith Durham
Old 09-09-2022, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Has anyone heard from David? It must be tough with his family emergency and now with the Queen's passing to complicate matters.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:43 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Life is good, I bought gas at $2.99 a gallon.
You think that's good ? Heck, I can buy almost two quarts for $2.99 out here on the left coast.

Dick
Old 09-09-2022, 03:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by otrcman
You think that's good ? Heck, I can buy almost two quarts for $2.99 out here on the left coast.

Dick
Saw a place yesterday at $2.92.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.