Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

I wonder how they keep track of that? I guess if it's a small turnout, it would not be bad...I think the MHA fun fly will have about the same as last year, which was about 135 pilots...

I am pretty sure that registered pilots get free meals...

It's a 3 day event, starting Friday.

Lol, I hear ya on moving to the back of the line...alot can be learned by watching those two!

The way I figure it, I'm better off watching than flying in the hover area, I can fly any other weekend of the season...but this only comes once a year...

I guess this week I'll put the SHCS in the SDX frame, clean it up, check it over, and I need to cut a small area out of the edge of the canopy for throttle linkage clearance.

That reminds me...I should call the guy at Hobby Hut and remind him to bring my new canopy to the fun fly...

Then, I have to fix the 500...I went to fly it today...haven't flown it since I changed the DX6i's over....and I got something wrong...

I went to spool up, and the heli flopped over on the right side...lol..[X(]

I flew the B400 earlier...and it's got a horendous vibration...not sure what's up there, the vertical tail fin is blurry...[&o] I think I'm going to try a set of these Hobby King CF blades I got for it...one set balanced perfectly, no tape needed..

So, I still have lots to do. And I'm going to go to the plane field this week and get some more practice on things...

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I checked the weather and it is supposed to rain on Saturday's fun fly.[&o]

Sorry about your 500. It would be cool if Spektrum had a way of copying the models from one transmitter to another one.

Didn't your B400 have a bad vibration before? Was that caused by the E-Flite Aluminum parts?

Nick

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sorry to hear your bad weather forecast, but it's still a long ways off, things could change...

I found out I don't have to work Saturday, so weather permitting, I'll be good to go for my fun fly on Saturday.

The 500 survived, I don't think anything got bent...I was almost certain I had everything sorted out...guess I need to go through it again...

Yeah, I wish there was a way to transfer data from one TX to the other...

You have a good memory. Yup, the CNC caused all kinds of headaches, vibration, and it was bad enough to bend mainshafts in flight...that issue is gone, but I've had a bit of vibration going on in idle up and higher headspeeds for a while now...the same left boom support twanging noise...

I have been just ingnoring it...and just flying, but it seems worse now...so I'll take a look. I am curious about these blades anyways...

I'll keep you posted...I hope it's not a nightmare like last time...but it won't be as bad, it's not bending stuff anymore, that was a very strange issue.

Glenn

Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
jroo

Hey all,

Got a bit of flying in this weekend. I charged batteries for my 250 and the 450 maiden so they would be ready for Monday morning. My intentions were to head down the road to the soccer field around 8am, so I could have some nice flights before the wind started to pick up.

Got there and pulled out the 250. I really wanted to practice on doing a full figure-8. Like I said earlier, the turn I make to the right side of me, I'm comfortable with, but one the left time I have a hard time with. I was determined to get over it and just do it. Well, after a few attempts, I finally got it and got the 'feel' of the return from left back to me. I was pretty pumped to have finally pulled off the entire figure-8. I wanted so bad to attempt a loop, but I wussed out... maybe next time.

So then the 450. Pulled it out and started to strap on the battery pack...
W.T.F.1... Forgot the Velcro on the battery....
Back to the house (a whole mile away)
Velcro on.
Back to the field
Battery on, step out in the field.
Little throttle...pitch change but no throttle.
W.T.F.2....I had not even set up the Throttle Curve yet. During the build, I flat-lined all the throttle curves for safety reasons and never put em back.
Curves set.
Little Throttle...click, click, click,click
W.T.F.3....Main gear is hitting canopy. Good Lord....I Spread canopy out a bit knowing it needs a trim to be a real fix, but I wanted to get this thing in the air.
Little Throttle...Little More...Check Cyclic and Rudder control...
W.T.F.4....Rudder is backwards...
How the hell I missed that during the build is beyond me...
Reversed Rudder on TX
At this point I'm thinking 'Great, not I have to reset my Limits on my gyro because I reversed the rudder... screw it... lets fly..."
Little Throttle, Little More......
W.T.F.5....spinnnnnnnnnnn...... Gyro needs to be reversed.
Someone, Somewhere did not want to to maiden today.....
I could not remember off the top of my head how to change the gyro NORM/REV setting on the align gyro and I wasn't about to 'guess' in the field for my maiden, so I packed it up.

Went home and adjusted the gyro.
W.T.F.6....My TX trims were all mucked with......I know for a fact I build the heli with 0 trims on the TX, so there is only one explanation....my 3 year old son

I went through and triple checked everything and trimmed my canopy so it would not come close to the main gears.

Looks like the maiden was delayed. So until then...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is cool you will be able to go to your fun fly and that the 500 wasn't damaged.

Jreue,

Sorry about all the problems you ran into with your 450.

Nick
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Were you able to get under the wire for the V-bar Loyalty program?

jreue,

Sounds like you ran into alot of little, minor bugs there...

At least you can get those out of the way, and be off to a better start next time..

Congrats on your sucess flying to your left side, seems everyone has a favorite or easy side that they prefer at first...and then the other way can be more difficult at first. Keep practicing....

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah I was able to get another V-bar under the Loyalty program. They didn't have any more mini V-bars left at the discount, so I got the standard one with the external sensor. I also got an Outrage 5000mAh receiver battery from Helidirect. That should probaly last all day. I was suprised how cheap it was and it was on sale also. I should have placed the order yesterday, so I could have received another 10% off.

Nick
Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Cool on the V-bar.....

Which battery did you get? I am kinda disappointed in how quickly this 2600 mAh pack goes down...I think the glow ignitor eats up alot of the juice when it is used...

5000 would be nearly double what I have...and I can get about 5 flights on my 2600.

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

This is the battery I got. http://www.helidirect.com/outrage-nr...ry-p-13174.hdx It was the cheapest battery I could find in this capacity range. Now I won't have to swap the receiver battery between my 600 and Velocity.

Nick
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That is a cool battery...

I am pretty happy with mine, but if I want to fly more than 5 flights in a day, I would have to charge the RX pack at the field...which sucks, because it takes a good 45 mins...

For that price, I may very well grab one....that is less than I paid for the 2600 mAh Thunder Power pack...and just keep that for a backup.

I have a credit for the bad rudder servo from Helidirect, so I may get that, and a throttle servo. That old JR one works, but I'd feel better with something a little newer, and stronger/faster....

I just got back from testing the B400. I had taken it apart, and looked at all the basics, the main and tailshafts aren't bent from what I can tell. I put the Hobby City CF blades on it, and it's no better, no worse...

The entire heli shakes, not just the tail, so I think it may be something in the mainshaft area. While I was at the field, I noticed the mainshaft has some play...side to side, front to back, not up and down...so I'm going to take a look at the main shaft bearings here in a few...

I fixed the 500 radio settings...the servo reversing was all messed up. I guess I just didn't get it right. I was at work when I did it, so I may have gotten distracted.

I also need to pack up the bad DX6i for shipping back to Horizon.

I need to get to work!

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
jroo

Hey guys,
I took my 450 to go maiden, but the fields where I fly were all filled with soccer games. I came back home to at least get some hovering in the front yard. Well I got about 2 seconds of hovering.

The tail is not holding at all in HH mode. The gain is way too low and needs to be adjusted.

The gyro is the included Align GP780

I'm a bit confused though. The manual states you set the gain on the gyro by moving the rudder stick left or right from center position. 0% gain is center stick and 100% is at the stick end position.

Do I have to mess with this if my TX controls the gain? On my 401B I didn't have to mess around with the gain POT.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

I have the GP 750 on my 450 Pro...and I think they are setup in a similar fashion.

The best instructions I have seen are on the Finless 450 Pro build video....

You may want to check that out...

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I think it is cool that battery comes with a lot of connectors on it. It might be a little harder to stuff under my canopy with all the connectors though. I hope I can still get a good CG, since it was balanced with my 1900mAh receiver battery.

This is the throttle servo I use. http://www.helidirect.com/futaba-s31...ort-p-2364.hdx I am running it at 6V, so its speed is .17 sec/60 degrees. It gets the job done.

Hopefully the bearings are the cause of the problem on your B400.

Jreue,

Are you using the gain menu in your transmitter or travel adjustments for the gain? The gyro has a gain wire on it, so you don't program the gain into the gyro. Looking at the gyro on Helidirect's site what you are explaining adjusts the gyro's delay and not the gain. It is very rare to not have to mess with the gain in the transmitter or the gain pot. on the gyro if it has one.

Nick
Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Just got done with the B400...and didn't find any smoking guns...

What I did find was the main bearings, and the main shaft were worn where the bearings ride...so I put a new mainshaft, and bearings in it...

Then, I decided to look at the head closer, since it's been awhile...ended up putting new dampers/orings, adding one more shim on each side, and a new feathering shaft...not because it was bent, but it was worn in a strange way...the outer, smaller I.D. thrust bearing races were a very tight fit on the shaft...I tried on a new one, and it was fine...so I went ahead and replaced it. Everything else looks good.

I rechecked my blade balance again, and it was a tad off, on the new HC blades, so I finished that.

I spooled it up on the table, with no blades, just flybar/paddles, and it's as smooth as glass, all the way up to full throttle...

So, tomorrow will be the real test.

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just checked the size specs on the battery, and I will have plenty of room, even with the connectors...I will be using the JST connector, since that is what I changed it over to for this battery. The Align 2 in 1 came with a JST connector.

I am in good shape on the CG, since I had to add a bit of ballast to the nose to get a good CG with this battery...so I should come out well with a slightly heavier battery.

I was looking at different servos...RC Heli used a Futaba 9252 like this;

http://www.helidirect.com/futaba-s94...451-p-4882.hdx

Looks like Heli Direct is out of those...

Then I did some research, and alot of guys are just using the Align DS 610 servos for throttle...it might be a bit overkill, but it's less expensive than that Futaba, and is faster.

I like the price on your servo though...

There seems to be alot of debate on how fast a nitro throttle servo should be...in Ray's Heli book, he says get the fastest servo you can get, so as to keep the engine "ahead" of the collective on fast collective moves...and some guys say you need a fast servo for a governor. Others say the engine just doesn't respond fast enough to make a difference...

I'm just thinking ahead for if/when I do get a governor, and I might want a faster servo. Might as well get a decent one while I'm at it...

Speaking of which, a guy (not Charles) at the club was telling me that I could run a governor with my DX6i, even though it's 6 channel, I just wouldn't be able to make adjustments to the governor in flight, or without removing the canopy, etc.... does that sound right?

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good luck with the new parts on the B400.

I have also heard of using a fast servo for the throttle.

Yeah you can use a governor with only a 6Ch transmitter/receiver. I don't know if all governors are like this, since I have only used the multigov. However, my governor gives me the choice to either use one headspeed or use 2-3 based off of the number of idle ups in the transmitter.

Nick
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
jroo

Glenn,
Yea I just re-watched the finless videos. Yea, your right, I don't have to mess with the delay setting on the gyro. I am running a rather low gain though; 61.5 (B400 setting) where the manual states the recommended value is 70-75.

I'll change tomorrow and report back.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks for the well wishes on the B400, I'm gonna need them....lol...

Cool on the governor info...I'm not ready just yet, but it's good to know I can use one without going to a 7 channel (or a 9 channel...[X(]) right away...

I think I'll go with the DS 610 on the throttle. About the only bad thing I have heard about those servos is that they use alot of power. That might be why I only get 5 flights on my 2600 RX pack....that and the ignitor circuit draws some too. And it doesn't help that the engine is still rich, and it stalls on spool up alot...requiring another 15 secs of ignitor power...

jreue,

Glad you found the Finless setup vid helpful...he explains things very well indeed...

Good luck on the setup...

Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Just ordered that battery, a DS 620, which is very close to a DS 610, but has less torque, and is faster.... .07 sec @ 6.0 volts...should certainly be fast enough!

I also got some fuel filters, and a glow plug.

Then I had to order a servo wheel from Ready Heli, since the ones that come with the Align servos are too small.

Should be fun...

I heard on the radio today showers and thunderstorms for Saturday and Sunday...[&o]

I wonder if they have a rain date for my fun fly....?

Glenn
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

What glow plugs are you using? I am using a O.S. #8.

You must be getting my storms again. There was a pretty big storm today and it is going to rain pretty much all week here.

Nick
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Same here, OS #8...they seem to be the most popular for heli enignes.

That is interesting that you use OS glow plugs...I wonder if YS makes glow plugs?

Now they changed my Saturday forecast, to mid 80's, humid, and a small chance of thunderstorms...but who knows?

I guess we'll see as it gets closer.

I am looking forward to testing the B400 later today...

I have already decided, if it's not fixed, I'm just going to fly it like that...vibrate away!!

Glenn

Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
JPEE

June 2, 2010

Hello Guys,

WOW! I have been away for a few taking care of business and this thread has gone NUTS!
The crew is here installing the new foe marble shower walls, pan and lid today. Its a bit like installing granite counters. Painter's left Friday wheeeeeuuuu. The cabinets arrive the 21st so we are getting close. Of course the job Superintent (wife) yesterday bought the carpet which is three weeks out. I had hoped to move back home in two weeks to live here but still have to cook in the garage kitchen I built (temporary), but it now looks like three weeks.

Did a bit of flying yesterday and got a Blade 400, 450 Pro, 500 and 600 flight in by morning time. Because of my upgrade of starting to fly 6S 3000 mAh packs in the 500 and of course the 600 fly's 6S 5000 mAh I am looking at another charger for these dang brick battery packs. Even at 2-4C thats a lot of hours of charging on my Thunder Power at an "each" charge cycle. Also looking to get a T-Rex 700E which requires two 5K packs that even worse charge times. I even thought of getting 4 ea. HC 150 watt chargers but YOU CANNOT like the Hyperion charger two packs and ties them together like a 12S so they are 12 cells balance. I do know a guy who just bought the Hyperion 6i Duo and is tickled. He can charge two 6S packs at a time or 4 ea 3S packs on the charger that in effect. If anyone else is using this charger and wants to share GOOD or BAD before I drop the hammer I would be grateful.

$250.00
Hyperion EOS615i Duo3
Max Power Output 180W per Output
Input Voltage 11-28V DC
Battery Type NiCD, NiMH, Li-poly, Lead, A123
Min/Max Lipo Cells 1-6 Cells
Min/Max NiMH Cells 1-16 Cells
Min/Max NiCD Cells 1-16 Cells
Min/Max Pb Cells 2-24V
Charge Current 0.1-15A
Discharge Current 0.1-10A (50W) per Port
Displayed Information Voltage, Current, Time
Dimensions mm x mm x mm
Weight g
Cooling System Built-in Fan
Interface USB Programming Cable
Upgradeable Via USB PC Cable
Special Features (2) Independent Outputs
Manual Hyperion EOS615i Duo3 (.pdf)

Glenn, sorry you getting beat up over your 400. If you want I can mail you a 400 head "complete I have that is tight and see what happens. Remember the clone 400 aftermarket head I freaked on of Mikes where somewhat like your CNC was plastic but out of balance. Some where some how it made the heli wobble. After I replaced it with an extra 400 head I had it flew like glass. Let me know.

Jreue, for now I have my 450 Pro set on a DX6i if I can ever be of service. I have the stock tailer servo you do from Align and Hitec 65MGs on cyclic an d a stock Align 35 ESC.

Nick, boy oh boy have yo been busy too. Sounds like the battery will last longer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87908.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1446837  
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

In my engine manual YS recommend the OS, one of their YS, or an Enya glow plug.

That is cool your weather forcast looks better for the weekend.

JPEE,

I was thinking you might have been busy with the house.

Good you hear you found time to fly.

I don't have that charger, but I have an old Hyperion charger that is now obsolete. It is a single battery charger, but I really like it. It stays cool in the heat and I like it can also charge a battery to the storage Voltage.

Nick
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

That is cool that YS suggests different brands of glow plugs. I just looked at my OS manual, and they only recommend OS glow plugs.....either #8, A3, or A5.

Latest forecast is for 30% chance of thunderstorms...so it may turn out OK...but hot, mid 80's and humid..and NO SHADE...might be kinda brutal to be out all day in that..lots of water, and sunblock..

Well, the B400 is just slightly better. I don't care......I'm going to fly it like that, until whatever it is that is vibrating either breaks, wears out, or falls off...lol...eventually, I'll find/replace it...

JPEE,

Sounds like you have your hands full there with the house stuff...but, only 3 more weeks...hang in there!

Looks like a nice charger, and you'll need it for the 700e...

Nothing else much new here, I might go over the SDX later on, a post flight after this weekend's flying.

Glenn
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Does your weather still look good for your fun fly? There is a chance for rain during the afternoon at mine tomorrow.

My V-bar came today and the UPS man is out delivering my flybarless head. I could probably get it installed today, but I wouldn't have time to test it out enough before the fun fly tomorrow. This one looks a little easier to setup, since it has more wording on the case where everything gets hooked up. I am busy with finals and work, so I probably won't have time to test it out until Tuesday unless I skip the fun fly tomorrow. However, since I missed all the heli fun flys last year I really want to go to as many this year as I can.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.