Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:17 PM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I got up early this morning an bought a light breakfast for the wife and I from Mc Donalds. my wife isn't a spring chicken
anymore and is struggling in the kitchen so I decided today as far as breakfast is concerned she can avoid the kitchen.
It's pleasant to be able to just sit and converse.

It is difficult for me to just sit and listen but I practice doing just that every day now and my life is better for it, I wish I learned to keep my mouth shut a long time ago. maybe while I was shutting up and listening a little wisdom slipped into my brain.

Yesterday (Friday) I read through this thread in the 2015 time frame, it was nice reading and I am amazed that it is still alive. (a little B S goes a long way) This thread speaks volumes of good for those that used it in the manner it should be used, many could learn a lot from it if they would pay attention of the way it has been utilized I can't help but think associating with you guys has made me a better person. ......................... Thank you!! GOD BLESS.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:42 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

We love you, too, Donny!
I appreciate this thread because I can say what's on my mind, as long as I keep it civil. Some other forums I'm a member of won't allow anything remotely controversial, not even in their "off topic" areas.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:11 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm with Flyboy!
Old 12-22-2022, 10:07 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I normally share the Hallelujah Chorus in the Shopping Centre video at this time of year, but try this one for a change:
Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year! May you airplanes survive every landing!
Old 12-24-2022, 01:45 AM
David John Davis

107 years on and we're in the trenches again. It seems like we never learn. Merry Christmas anyway.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:03 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

thousands of years, with no end in sight, except for the final destination. choose life!
Old 12-25-2022, 06:35 AM
flyboy2610

Remember the real reason for the season:
Old 12-25-2022, 09:07 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays as we celebrate the birth of Our saviour Jesus Christ 🙏🙏
Old 12-25-2022, 09:51 AM
David John Davis

Old 12-25-2022, 10:22 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

anyone watching 'the chosen' mini series? we have really enjoyed it. part way through season 2, Jesus is almost done gathering disciples.
excellent acting, spectacular scenery and a job well done writing the story around the gospels.
The following users liked this post:
Henpecked (12-25-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 10:09 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all. I just saw the thread. I have been flying RC for over 45 years. Started at 10. Flown more planes than I can remember. It's a great hobby. I have about 110 planes currently, it's kind of a sickness. Been on RCU since it started. Used to sit on it an all day when I was not flying full scale flights. I was in a full scale crash years ago, some of you may remember. I still build and fly, and am teaching my 13 year old son to build and fly now. Always hoped he would like it, but he is just starting to get interested. After 17 years of getting myself rebuilt, I finally got to start flying for fun full scale again. Won't ever get to get back into jets and bigger stuff, but this is cool to get back in the air. He loves it. Bought a 182 and we fly it quite a bit. Fly RC off our field with some friends. Our club lost both runways on the same month and we have been looking since for a new field. It's been tough. We take off from my driveway and land in the field next to the house. Works ok, but I only let a few guys fly here, don't want someone hitting something. Building a Giant scale Hostetler 182 and will paint up like the real one I fly. Should be cool. Glad to see a lot of the old names I recognize on here. I miss my old friend Minnflyer! He was a good man. Stopped to see him before he died on my way through his town. Was cool to meet him in person. Went to see another in the hospital in Seattle once before he died. Lots of great people in this hobby. Unfortunately, we are all getting older. Will try to get on more and try to keep up. Life got really busy with the little one. Now that he is a little older, I can do more and more. Good to see you all.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:30 AM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYBOY
Hi all. I just saw the thread. I have been flying RC for over 45 years. Started at 10. Flown more planes than I can remember. It's a great hobby. I have about 110 planes currently, it's kind of a sickness. Been on RCU since it started. Used to sit on it an all day when I was not flying full scale flights. I was in a full scale crash years ago, some of you may remember. I still build and fly, and am teaching my 13 year old son to build and fly now. Always hoped he would like it, but he is just starting to get interested. After 17 years of getting myself rebuilt, I finally got to start flying for fun full scale again. Won't ever get to get back into jets and bigger stuff, but this is cool to get back in the air. He loves it. Bought a 182 and we fly it quite a bit. Fly RC off our field with some friends. Our club lost both runways on the same month and we have been looking since for a new field. It's been tough. We take off from my driveway and land in the field next to the house. Works ok, but I only let a few guys fly here, don't want someone hitting something. Building a Giant scale Hostetler 182 and will paint up like the real one I fly. Should be cool. Glad to see a lot of the old names I recognize on here. I miss my old friend Minnflyer! He was a good man. Stopped to see him before he died on my way through his town. Was cool to meet him in person. Went to see another in the hospital in Seattle once before he died. Lots of great people in this hobby. Unfortunately, we are all getting older. Will try to get on more and try to keep up. Life got really busy with the little one. Now that he is a little older, I can do more and more. Good to see you all.
Good to hear from you too Flyboy. Maybe someday when I am visiting family up on Flathead I can pay you a visit. I usually travel with an RC plane.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:13 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
Good to hear from you too Flyboy. Maybe someday when I am visiting family up on Flathead I can pay you a visit. I usually travel with an RC plane.
they would be cool.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:39 PM
donnyman

Happy New year! 2023 is only a few breaths away.

Is it me or are people in general more happy than usual? My wife and I have been doing a lot of shopping and not one grumpy person have I met in the past few weeks. It seems like a heavy load has been lifted from every ones shoulders. Now if only this good mood will last through out the year and we would all benefit.

Let me say welcome to those that have signed on to this thread, it has grown quite large and still a nice place to visit, welcome!

I have been relaxing quite a bit his season and have kept the wife out of the kitchen for the past two weeks she deserves a good rest so we just sat back and enjoy a most relaxing time especially when it got cold, we stayed in doors warm and snuggy.

I'm wishing everybody a healthy/wealthy new Year!

See ya in 2023
The following 4 users liked this post by donnyman:
bisco (12-30-2022), Flicker (01-03-2023), FLYBOY (12-30-2022), mgnostic (12-31-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 07:17 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess with the brunt of the Covid pandemic behind us the relief it showing on most everyone. Certainly hope that everyone had a safe and blessed Christmas holidays. I'm taking this opportunity to wish you all a very happy New Year when it comes and hoping that it will be a prosperous time for us all.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

Karolh and Donny, I could not have said it better. Happy New Year to all!

Mike
Old 12-31-2022, 09:03 AM
flyboy2610

Sven and Ole met each other on a downtown sidewalk one morning.
"Ole! Haven't seen you in a vile. How 'bout ve go bowling Tursday morning?"
"Oh, I can't, Sven. I haff to go to court."
"You haff to go to court, Ole? Vut happened?"
"Vell, Sven, a couple uff veeks ago I vuss leafing for verk and Lena asked me to drop my pants at da dry cleaners. My case comes up Tursday morning."
Old 12-31-2022, 09:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

I see your Sven and Ole and raise you...

Lutheran Airlines!

WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE LUTHERAN AIRLINES IS NOW OPERATING IN MINNYSOTA! ALSO SERVING VISCONSIN, NORDERN MITCHIGEN, NORT & SOUT DAKOTA

If you are travelin soon, consider Lutran Air, the no-frills airline. You're all in da same boat on Lutran Air, here flyin is a upliftin experience. Dair is no first class on any Lutran Air flight. Meals are potluck. Rows 1 tru 6, bring rolls; 7 tru 15, bring a salad; 16 tru 21, a hot dish, and 22-30, a dessert. Basses and tenors please sit in da rear of da aircraft. Everyone is responsible for his or her own baggage. All fares are by free will offering, and da plane will not land til da budget is met. Pay attention to your flight attendant, who vill acquaint you wit da safety system aboard dis Lutran Air. Okay den, listen up; I'm only gonna say dis vonce: In da event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, I am frankly gonna be real surprised and so vill Captain Olson, because ve fly right around two tousand feet, so loss of cabin pressure would probably mean da Second Coming or someting of dat nature, and I wouldn't bodder with doze liddle masks on da rubber tubes--you're gonna have bigger tings to worry about den dat. Just stuff doze back up in dair liddle holes. Probably da masks fell out because of turbulence which, to be honest wit you, we're gonna have quite a bit of at two tousand feet, sorta like driving across a plowed field, but after a while you get used to it. In da event of a water landing, I'd say forget it. Start saying da Lord's Prayer and just hope you get to da part about forgive us our sins as we forgive dose who sin against us, which some people say 'trespass against us,' which isn't right, but what can you do? Da use of cell phones on da plane is strictly forbidden, not because day may confuse da plane's navigation system, which is by da pants all da way. No, it's because cell phones are a pain in da wazoo, and if God had meant you to use a cell phone, He wudda put your mout on da side of your head. We start lunch right about noon and it's buffet style wit da coffeepot up front. Den we'll have da hymn sing; hymnals are in da seat pockets in front of you. Don't take yours wit you when you go or I am gonna be real upset and I am not kiddin! Right now I'll say Grace: Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest and let deze gifts to us be blessed. Fader, Son, and Holy Ghost, May we land in Dulut or pretty close.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:14 PM
flyboy2610

Sounds yust like my kind uff airline!
Old 01-01-2023, 10:19 AM
flyboy2610

Happy New Year.
Don't know why we need a new one. Wasn't much wrong with the old one, if you ask me. Which no one ever does.
Oh, well.
Yippee skippee.
Tiptoe through the tulips.
Gaiety and frivolity.
Whee.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:49 AM
donnyman

It may be just me but, I get the feeling something has happened as if a load has been removed from the shoulders of the masses.
people seem more at ease and relaxed in their daily lives smiling more and less eager to take offense. I have my opinion about this but I do not want to burst the bubble, the last month or so has been a much more relaxed one for me and I pray it last.

The effects of my radiation therapy is very slowly going away and I feel better though I have doctor visits scheduled they are diminished. 2023 maybe a good year for all to enjoy heaven knows we need some rest.

That eeyore character in the above post #11121 is a good resemblance of what the past several years have been like to me ............

Flicker (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 03:59 PM
flyboy2610

Yea, I love Eeyore!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

The wife and I watched a really good movie on Amazon last night. Its called "Devotion", its about Jessie L. Brown. Jessie was the first black Naval Aviator. Its well worth your time if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7693316/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Old 01-14-2023, 02:00 AM
David John Davis

Happy New Year Gentlemen!

I am fond of classical music. When asked by my niece what I wanted as a Christmas present, I said a CD of any of J S Bach's cantatas by the Bach Collegium Japan under Masaaki Suzuki. I had heard of the Bach Collegium Japan by reputation but had never heard one of their recordings before. In the event my niece sent me two of their CDs and to say that i was overwhelmed by the quality of the performance and recording would be an understatement! I had to wait until early January to receive them owing to the postal strikes in the UK!

Now I am aware that my taste in music may not be shared by all of you, or indeed any of you, and the following YouTube video lasts for an hour and forty-six minutes so I don't expect you to sit through the lot, but if you scroll forward to 18.22 you'll find a flawless little aria by a Japanese soprano sung in the original German. I found it impressive. If the instruments look and sound a little strange it's because the orchestra uses eighteenth century instruments or copies and and while violins haven't changed much in the last three hundred years, woodwind instruments certainly have.

I'm going to take the lap top down to the workshop so that i can listen to it while I finish my latest model!

YellowBlueBird (01-14-2023)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.