Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Mark,

Glad to hear from ya....hang in there!!

Sounds like quite a deal....and I know you gotta be missing flying and RCU!

We'll be here when ya get settled in....

Take care...

Glenn
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It is kind of hard to get the upgrades from Outrage. I read that their new fuel tank that has easier access to the clunk sold out in a matter of minutes after being in stock.

Cool temp gauge.

Sorry about your starter adaptor. Mine was also pretty hard to take apart for the first time.

I saw a Delorean down at the Ozarks and some one brought a Rolls Royce from Hawaii also.

Nick
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I forgot to say I got to ride in a R44 helicopter. I got to sit in the co-pilots seat and the pilot took me over the lake and hovered over a dam out there. That was the best part of my vacation.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I guess the upgrades for the Velocity go fast...gotta get them while you can...

I am a bit disappointed in MRC, in NJ, where I get my SDX parts from...I ordered that stuff Tuesday, and they sent me an email today saying they are doing inventory, and that it will ship out on Friday...good thing I don't need it real bad...I guess we're spoiled by Helidirect, Ready Heli and the others. Grand RC was very fast, got the temp gauge in 2 days from CA....

When it comes time to do the starter adapter, I'll take it to work, and put some type of support behind the clutch shaft, so I can tap on it a bit to loosen it...and apply heat. I tried a soldering iron to the screw, but no luck...

Cool on the Delorean, I have only seen one or two of those in person...you can shine the body up with some steel wool....lol...

Rolls Royce...that's a whole 'nother class of cars.....

Cool on the heli ride! What is an R44? I am gussing a small 2 seater?

Here are some pics of my first prototype for the cooling fan shroud....it's not pretty, but it should give me an idea of whether it will help or not...it took some doing, even as crude as it looks...lol...that whole area there was completly open before..

And the newly installed temp gauge...

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93975.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1465271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49845.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1465272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47825.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1465273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46580.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1465274  
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry about MRC.

An R44 is made my Robinson helicopters. It is a 4 seater heli. Since it is an American heli the blades spin CCW. http://www.robinsonheli.com/r44ravenmain.htm

Did you say you were going to put on an air filter? That temp gauge fits great on the heli.

Nick
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I think MRC was doing inventory, since last time their service was fast, and had great communication. I think they are a pretty small operation...the same guy emailed me as the last time. They definitely have the best parts selection, as they should, being the main USA Hirobo distributor.

That is a cool helicopter....I was looking at the brochure...no prices in there...lol...I'll bet they are expensive... Cool that you got to sit up front, instead of a back seat...

The temp gauge did fit well. I hope I got the sensor (thermister wrapped in shrink wrap) attached well enough to the engine. I located it just below the cylinder head, which is where most articles agree is the best place to check heli engine temps. I'll compare it to the temp gun, and see how accurate it seems. I think it will be more valuable as a comparison tool....once I figure out the mixture and temp, it will just be a nice guide to have on a day to day, flight to flight basis.

I looked long and hard into air filters. I would say that about 95% of guys don't use them on helis. Interestingly, O.S. highly recommends them on heli engines (and they are in the business of SELLING engines and parts!) because in a low hover, all kinds of stuff can get kicked up. One plane guy I was reading said he has seen grass seed lock up a glow engine on a plane.

But most agree that it's not really needed. No one at my club runs one, not even the very meticulous Charles, who is very particular about his helis and setup. One thing mentioned, is that the carb inlet is located in the airflow of the cooling fan, which basically blows most of the heavy dirt and stuff right past the intake.

I did find a cool short air filter, but even that would be a very tight fit in the area where it needs to go. Then the maintenance would be hard, because it would be so hard to get to.

Almost everyone who DOES run an air filter agrees that it robs power...most think about 10% or so of the engines power, due to the airflow restriction. Some even suggested a fabric, like women's hosiery, stretched over the intake, and secured with an oring or rubber band for very limited clearance areas. Even then though, as the filter material became clogged, the restriction would increase, and power would drop, as well as causing a rich condition...

Soo....I'm not going to run one. Most guys get dozens of gallons of fuel through a properly maintained engine without air filters, so I guess I can live without one... I STILL think it's a good idea....and so does O.S. [sm=71_71.gif]

Glenn
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick, welome home Sorry about the go carts being less than expected and ...............50% rain. Congrats on getting the parts ordered and I hope they come in right and timely, read below and you will understand.

Much to my suprise the two new 450 Pro canopies from HK came in....kinda. I opened the box and low....there was only one in the box. On the outside of the box it says two (2) parts were enclosed. Hummmmmm, I read the HK Qs & As about what to do on shorted or damaged packages.

From HK
Our warehouse utilizes barcode id, product scanning, RFID security, final item counting and parcel weight recording to ensure each order is full and correct.
We take our shipping and dispatch accuracy very seriously.
If you have received a parcel that is incorrect or incomplete, you must do the following within 48hrs of receiving the parcel;
1) DO NOT throw any of the packaging or product materials away. Keep the entire package 100% as you recieved it.
2) Weigh your parcel and it's contents. You can use a kitchen scale for this. It must be accurate to 5g.
3) Photograph the parcel and it's contents. The photo must show products, parcel and packing materials clearly.Email [email protected] with the following information;
Order ID:
Parcel Weight:
Problem with order:
Attach photos of the parcel and contents, as stipulated above.

Failure to follow the procedures above will result in a rejection of the claim.

Never accept a parcel that is crushed, damaged or has been left open, possibly allowing contents to fall out.

What happened to me is. I bought two canopeis but they only sent one from their order screen. I called them and she could see that the pricing I was charged for two but they the order only showed one ordered. She said they would refund the second canopies price back to my PP account, it seemed to be the simple way to go. The shipping charge had only been for the one canopy so there is no loss to me other than a bit of trouble. Glenn, I found that Heli Direct carries the canopies WHEN they have inventory which is not often. HD price is nearly the same and as you know you will get it in two days or so. You have to watch HK pricing and shipping and the waiting time too.

Glenn,
I am hoping that the new cooling shield you made over the new SDX will do the job and move enough air to know down the temps. That littl gadgit should let you know where you are.

Mark...........thats what I call "tight quarters" Mister. Hope all settles down soon for you and your, we miss your input.

JPEE
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Just got back from the Post Office. There were no fewer than a dozen people in line when I got there...

Turns out, HeliDirect sent my package Signature Confirmation....and I specifically checked that box that says "Do NOT require signature on delivery"....when I ordered...

Grrrrrrrrr

I guess anyone can make a mistake...but it sure seems like something has changed at Heli Direct...hope they can get it straightened out, because I really like dealing with them...

What makes it worse is that the package would easily fit in the mailbox...

Glenn
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

The starting price on that heli is $415,000.

Sorry about Helidirect.

JPEE,

Good to hear things worked out with Hobbyking.

Nick
Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I figured about as much...

I was watching Pawn Stars, and they bought a used very small heli that was crashed, so they could rebuilt it and re-sell it...I think they paid like $20,000 for it crashed. It looked worse than any of our model crashed helis..lol....

Anyways, they were showing some parts, and this guy had an idler pulley in his hand, it was like 10x bigger than ours, and it cost $5,000 [X(]

It was just inconvienient to have to go to the post office, no biggie, I'm just afraid Heli Direct is slipping up a bit...but they are probably swamped. As long as I get my stuff in a reasonable amount of time, I'm good.

I have to work tomorrow, so most of my flying might be on Sunday. I'm curious to see how the SDX cooling system and temp gauge work out.

Hope you can get parts and fly soon.

JPEE,

Sounds like you gotta jump through a bunch of hoops to get that canopy squared away, but sounds like the end result was good.

I've never had an issue with Hobby City orders...yet...keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Glenn
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I got to fly the 600 today. I went to my field to help a guy fix/setup a B400. I couldn't finish it because of a bad(maybe stripped servo). I was really rusty trying some of my moves. It was pretty calm out, so it was a good day to fly. I brought my 450, but I forgot to bring the balance adaptor to charge it. I also fixed my transmitter antenna, but in the process I shorted it out. Luckily it only blew the fuse, so I had to hurry and get a new fuse to meet the guy at the field.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,
Sounds like riding in the heli was great fun! I renteda two seater for my dad to take a heli ride years ago and it was a robbinson too I believe but only a two seater. My dad loved but when he landed has first words were.......................sure wasn't very fast!

I talked with HK and they are gonna refund my PP account for the missing canopy. But I think?? I told you guys that or I told Glenn that already, at my age I am happy to remember your names LOL . And on to the point that Hdirect overall is just a dollar or two more and I know that I will get it and on time. So I just ordered two 500 canopys.

Glenn,

The mounting of the temp sensor looks very clean. As you mentioned it will be a good yard stick to put up against your laser temp gun. I hope the mock shield make a difference, it looks like you did some tight work there in the frame.

No flying for me today, tomorrow or yesterday, working on the house and friends dropping by and such, those other things in life we have to give time too LOL.

JPEE
EDIT: Nick, glad you got out to fly. And that fuse, I carry and extra one for my DX7 under the foam in my heli field tool box. Done that been there as they say.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sounds like one of those days....

I didn't realize until the other day looking at stuff at Ready Heli that some transmitters have fuses...I guess you found out yours does...lol...good thing I guess, probably saved the radio...

That sounds pretty typical on the B400...those servos are usually either stripped or have centering pot issues...

Sorry you forgot the adapter to charge the 450....that reminds me to make a list for going to MHA...so I don't forget stuff...just make like a permanent list that I can use over and over, maybe put it on the iPad...

It doesn't take long to get rusty...

I had an OK day flying, only flew 2 packs. I had a hard time doing a couple of simple backflips, I think there was a current up in the air where I was doing them, the heli kept getting pushed off to the side mid flip...but I couldn't feel much of a breeze on the ground.

I will probably replace my swash and flybar on the original 450 tomorrow, and then see how the weather is. It makes a funny blade noise when I roll it to the side... not sure what that is, very strange noise...but I'm betting the swash and flybar have something to do with it...

Glad you got to fly....

Glenn
Old 07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
JPEE

Glenn,
Can you clarify what problem your having the 450 Pro that would lead you to change the swashplate? Is there a noise that you can hear?

JPEE
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

It got bent in that last crash. It's still flyable, but it might be causing some noise and weird flight issues...

I can see it's bent by watching the links from the servo arms to the swash wiggle when I rotate the mainshaft...[&o] And yeah, the mainshaft is new......

I got the new one sitting here. It comes in a nice plastic box with foam padding...lol..a bit overkill....but a nice touch....oughta be for $28...lol...

Man, ya'll think that last old video from 1982 had some crude machinery, watch THIS when you have about 8 mins to spare...some of it is hilarious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNve7...ure=grec_index

Glenn
Old 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM
JPEE

Glenn,
That was a great video!

I got a kick out of the military being there, guys with war type helmets for head protection. It is truely very hard to believe how far helis have come in such a short time. If those people in that video could see what we fly today they would think we were from the outer space or something.

JPEE
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

I was thinking the same thing...if you could go back in time and bring a Trex 700E (flybarless would be even cooler!) or something along, those guys would poop...lol...

Or even better, have a Nick Maxwell or Lucas Riva show up and do some amazing 3D...

I'm not sure which looks older, the helis, or the video itself...must have been a pretty crude camera too...

Glenn
Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
JPEE

Glenn................10-4 on all of that. I thought the Russia was more advanced by then with their videos LOL
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

The video refers to the RC "Champs"....if those are the champs, I'd sure hate to see the noobs....LOL...

I'm sure they were doing the best they could...looks like from the vid, they probably didn't even have gyros...the way the tails were acting...or at least not very effective ones...

Glenn
Old 07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Hope the new parts help out. If you ever need to replace the swash again the Beam 450 swash is pretty good and it is serviceable.

In that vid they were sure having a hard time keeping the helis in the air.

Nick
Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks for the heads up on the beam swash...I'll definitely keep that in mind. I found it (and Justin did too) very strange to bend or tweak a swash in a fairly light crash like that...but it did.

I replaced it last night, and all is good. The bearing was notchy, particularly in one spot, so I guess it took a pretty good hit.

All smooth as glass again...between that and the flybar, it should fly/sound better.

On a couple of sites, I have seen just the swash bearing listed. I looked at it, and it seems like it would be quite a hassle to change the bearing...plus I think on mine something was actually bent.

I guess on the Beam the bearing is replacable?

Yeah, those poor guys were having a hard time with those helis...lol...I guess I can somewhat relate, from the Cobra days....I'm pretty sure some of my early attempts didn't look much better...

I haven't decided on what I'm going to do today about flying. I'm still worn out from yesterday at work, and have chores today. I may just hover the SDX across the street to check the cooling system and temp gauge for this weekend.

And I'll probably fly the 450's locally later for sure.

Hope you have something to keep busy.

Glenn
Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Everything on the Beam swashplate is replaceable. I have one on my 450. There are two pieces that hold the ball and the plastic pieces around the ball in place. Then there are 3 screws that hold the bearing in place.

I have to work tonight.

Nick
Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

Just a short note to say, I flew at our local empty house tract area and got three 500s and two Apprentice flights in. That was after sitting there for 2 hours in the gray fog. We were grounded from 7-9 am.!

Glenn, I picked up my new swash for the 450 Pro CRAAAAAAP $30.75! ! ! Yikes I can't afford stuff like that. I coulda bought a new freaking EXI or HK plastic heli for that kinda money. But its done. I tried my new charger to draw down my 600 packs as she is down with anoisy bearing and until I have time she is shelved. Just for fun I took down the 500 packs too to storage mode, pretty neat. I could have done it lot faster if I just hovered in the back yard LOL with my helis.

Kitchen guys come tomorrow morning to install cabs so we will see!

Glad you guys are good overall and sorry you had to bust ***** at work on Saturday.

JPEE
Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Just got back from a couple of flights with the 450's and both are doing great. The original is back to normal, with just the motor bearings rattling a bit in flight.

I took the SDX to the horse track for a test. Both good and bad I guess....the temp gauge works great, it's within 5 to 10 degrees of what I get with the temp gun....but, I'm still in the upper 190's to 200, even with the cooling shroud mod.

I'm not sure what's up, because I tried richening it some, like 4 clicks overall...and it didn't really bring the temp down much at all. I may start all over with the needle out 1 1/2 turns, which is the factory setting and begin there...it almost seems too lean now, as it has lots of power and RPM's...

Nick,

Does your Velocity ever lean out when the main tank gets low on fuel? The SDX has done that the last couple of flights...I had it in the air today, and the engine went way lean, RPM's jumped up a lot...and the only reason I could tell was that the main tank was just about empty.

It did that last week too....but I don't think it was doing it from the start...

You would think that the fuel flow would remain constant, since the clunk in the header tank is still fully submerged in fuel, the fact that the main tank is low shouldn't really affect the mixture (in theory, anyways)....kinda what I thought a header tank was for...

Thanks again for the info on the Beam swash...I'll definitely keep that in mind...

JPEE,

Glad you got some flights in after the fog cleared...

Yup, those Align swashes are kinda pricey...[X(]

Hope all goes well with the kitchen cabinets tomorrow...

Glenn
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Good to hear you got some flights in.

Glenn,

I can't tell if my engine is leaning out in flight, since I have a govenor. I also don't have a header tank. I can only tell when I put my temp gauge up to the engine. I know my engine wasn't running very good the last time I had it up. That was part of the reason why I crashed it.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.