Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

JPEE.....Remember I said the C-MOS battery is independent? I really believe (although not 100% sure) that if you pull that battery even with the TX under main battery power, you will dump the C-MOS which will require re-loading of the software. If you've ever opened a DX6 or DX7, you'll see that the battery is "hard wired" in, meaning that replacement isn't just pulling a battery and shoving a new one in....it requires de-soldering and screws that need removed. When I saw that setup, I knew I couldnt effectively replace the battery myself without a nightmare. I know if you had the NEW C-MOS battery connected in parallel PRIOR to removing the old battery...you could do it, but it's NOT good for the new battery to be connected to one that's over half depleted.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 PM
JPEE

Vic,

Gotcha..........now I see the trees. But me thinks like you said, you could put the second one on with a jumper and then quickly break one side of the old battery so there should be no damage to the new cell.

I love to learn new things!

Thanks JPEE
Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 AM
J-MICHAEL

Thanks Vic and Jay ! Good stuff... And better I don't guess ! I haven't done squat with it since it has been disassembled, as it has been just to hot ! Now there saying tomorrow in some places (like where Arrow lives) it will get up to 110 ! Yikes... I don't know how Rick takes that Texas hot weather with high humidity... Its 84 degrees still in Seattle at 11:00 p.m. right now. Lol... At least the house is getting cooler and only 85 degrees. The garage is cooler and 79 degrees, so i'am going out there to solder on some extensions for the 2 HS-55's for the elevator and rudder for the Funtana. I wanted to do it earlier, but it was a ball-dripping 95 out there ! No thanks...

We've been getting the killer weather for a few months now ! I think JPEE and Jer sent up some of that Cali sunshine....

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Wnuk

Geez, Jeff, can it get any hotter for ya?

JPEE- to my knowledge of computers and CMOS batteries, that you can briefly disconnect them and the memory will hold. If you kept the time under 30 seconds you were fine. I would GUESS the same would apply to our radios but don't know this for sure. If it ever happens to mine I will try replacing it myself.

Thanks for the video comments guys. I'm thinking it's now time to learn something new with a heli. Maybe try a split "S" or an Immelman.

After weeks of waiting, the replacement ESC arrived yesterday. This one does work and I THINK I have it programmed properly. The only thing I notice with it is there is a slight delay from the time I increase throttle until the motor actually responds. I can watch the swas increase pitch instantly when I increase the throttle, but the motor lags behind a bit. I didn't do this with the 35X so I know it's just a setting in the ESC I haven't figured out yet.

Jim
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM
joeyhatch11

Well my stock Esky 2.4ghz is going to see a nice big hammer soon. I got everything in the mail today to get her back together got the tracking perfect on my new fiber glass blades and took her out back for a spin. And thats what she did. Went up, floated around for a bit then dropped signal. When it came back in, she took off and hit the roof of the shed did an ***** load of flips then smashed the ground. Damage: both blades GONE, fly-bar bent to hell, and main gear missing three teeth but I can take a blade to that and fix it. What a bunch of ***** if you ask me. Really wish I had $230 right now to spend on that Futaba system. It would already be on it's way.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

to my knowledge of computers and CMOS batteries, that you can briefly disconnect them and the memory will hold. If you kept the time under 30 seconds you were fine. I would GUESS the same would apply to our radios but don't know this for sure. If it ever happens to mine I will try replacing it myself.

Jim

Yes Jim that is correct about the brief disconnect. I have not had my dx apart to look at the guts so I cant say weather the jumper will work or not but in theory it should.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

Well my stock Esky 2.4ghz is going to see a nice big hammer soon. I got everything in the mail today to get her back together got the tracking perfect on my new fiber glass blades and took her out back for a spin. And thats what she did. Went up, floated around for a bit then dropped signal. When it came back in, she took off and hit the roof of the shed did an ***** load of flips then smashed the ground. Damage: both blades GONE, fly-bar bent to hell, and main gear missing three teeth but I can take a blade to that and fix it. What a bunch of ***** if you ask me. Really wish I had $230 right now to spend on that Futaba system. It would already be on it's way.

I had the main and tail rotor lock up, I still haven't determined why. I KNOW it wasn't radio/ESC/etc because the main rotor was physically locked as was the tail. I pull it all apart...everything turns freely....even the motor. Just one of those things and it's part of the hobby. The trick is to get good stuff to minimize failure...if you can. I should be setting up my NEW EXI-450 before Friday.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Oracus

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

to my knowledge of computers and CMOS batteries, that you can briefly disconnect them and the memory will hold. If you kept the time under 30 seconds you were fine. I would GUESS the same would apply to our radios but don't know this for sure. If it ever happens to mine I will try replacing it myself.

Jim

Yes Jim that is correct about the brief disconnect. I have not had my dx apart to look at the guts so I cant say weather the jumper will work or not but in theory it should.
At the time you REALIZE you need a battery, the C-MOS battery will die, and you'll dump UNLESS you install a new battery every 3.5 years or so just to be on the safe side
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Oracus

Joey

Thats a real bummer!! I hate crashing a newly fixed bird[:@] Have you had signal drop out before?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Thanks Vic and Jay ! Good stuff... And better I don't guess ! I haven't done squat with it since it has been disassembled, as it has been just to hot ! Now there saying tomorrow in some places (like where Arrow lives) it will get up to 110 ! Yikes... I don't know how Rick takes that Texas hot weather with high humidity... Its 84 degrees still in Seattle at 11:00 p.m. right now. Lol... At least the house is getting cooler and only 85 degrees. The garage is cooler and 79 degrees, so i'am going out there to solder on some extensions for the 2 HS-55's for the elevator and rudder for the Funtana. I wanted to do it earlier, but it was a ball-dripping 95 out there ! No thanks...

We've been getting the killer weather for a few months now ! I think JPEE and Jer sent up some of that Cali sunshine....

Jeff

When I was deployed to Iraq it was 120+ IN THE SHADE hahaha and at nite the temps would drop down to 85 - 95. It was such a fast temp change that it felt frezzzing cold we would get in our sleeping bags(rated 25 to 32 deg).
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
joeyhatch11

Yeah this isn't the first time this has happened with the stock crappy transmitter. But I should have known better than trying to fly again with it that way. I also found that I lost a servo too. One of the cyclic servos is locked up solid. What a b!tch. I think I'm going to rip it all apart and get everything ready for the new frame. Wish me luck hahaha
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
theradioflyer

Man Joey,
Sorry to hear that happened. Time for the new TX for sure.

Jeff,
Holy smokes that's hot. Vic and I have been enjoying weird fall like temps for some time now but it's kept the wind blowing constantly during the day and right at dusk it shuts right down. 9-10 AM it starts back up.

Jim,
Congrats on the now working ESC on your bird. I can't wait to see your next trick[8D]

Blessings,

Jay
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
choppersrule

Hey Bobs,

Latest report:

Took the HK450 and HBK2 out last night about 8:45PM, zip wind, perfect. The HK450 was flawless. I was in the front of the house. I'd take off, fly over to the neighbors driveway across the street and land, about 200 feet. Take off and fly to the other neighbors driveway, about 150 feet. Then fly back to mine, about 100 feet. It makes it a triangle effect. It's a hoot. Then I did the same thing with the HBK2 and dumb thumbed it, LMAO! Busted blades, main gear stripped a few teeth, elevator servo stripped. That's all. Got all the spare parts in stock. Thanks Jay.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Well, I gotta do banking tonight, got the daughters rent, my retirement check from my IRA and a few tiny chores. Probably won't have time to do anything with the helis tonight. Gotta check on Liz too.

Bless ya all,

Dave

Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Wnuk

Give Liz our best Dave!

Vic- did you diagnose what happened earlier?

Jay- Did you ever get your money back from your defective webbie?

Jim
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM
crashcrash

Yeah...Jay and I have been experiencing a WINTER jet stream pattern that's been holding temps in the low to mid 70's, and WIND. We're NOT used to NNW winds as a constant in JULY.

I cant prove what caused my heli to lock up and fall 40ft like a brick, but I do suspect it was the tail drive gear assembly which is NORMAL for the EXI's to have that part fail, bit I never had one just "lock the main and tail rotors....it stinks. My new EXI-450 should be here tomorrow. I ripped the old one apart....the frame and bottom plate are mangled REAL GOOD...hence just buying a new one.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM
theradioflyer

Dave,
Glad to help out! Wishing Liz our best

Jim,
I took it back and got a full refund. The spot has me hesitant to get another but seeing Jeff not having any problems makes me want another. It was perfect for flying on a plane. Darn near half the weight of the CanonA470. That made a huge difference in how the small electric flew.

Vic,
I wonder if you had a magnet come loose inside the can and lock the motor up. It seems that a tail locking would shred the belt or at least take some teeth off before it could stop the momentum of the spinning blades. I would think it would be more on the head/motor.

It's supposed to get down to 55 degrees tonight here[sm=what_smile.gif]

Blessings,

Jay
Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Dave,
Glad to help out! Wishing Liz our best

Jim,
I took it back and got a full refund. The spot has me hesitant to get another but seeing Jeff not having any problems makes me want another. It was perfect for flying on a plane. Darn near half the weight of the CanonA470. That made a huge difference in how the small electric flew.

Vic,
I wonder if you had a magnet come loose inside the can and lock the motor up. It seems that a tail locking would shred the belt or at least take some teeth off before it could stop the momentum of the spinning blades. I would think it would be more on the head/motor.

It's supposed to get down to 55 degrees tonight here[sm=what_smile.gif]

Blessings,

Jay
Jay...I can't really say....I tore it completely down today and the ONLY thing I found that wasn't right was the tail drive gear unit. After I get everything built back up on the new one...guess I'll find out.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 AM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Hey Bobs,

Latest report:

Took the HK450 and HBK2 out last night about 8:45PM, zip wind, perfect. The HK450 was flawless. I was in the front of the house. I'd take off, fly over to the neighbors driveway across the street and land, about 200 feet. Take off and fly to the other neighbors driveway, about 150 feet. Then fly back to mine, about 100 feet. It makes it a triangle effect. It's a hoot. Then I did the same thing with the HBK2 and dumb thumbed it, LMAO! Busted blades, main gear stripped a few teeth, elevator servo stripped. That's all. Got all the spare parts in stock. Thanks Jay.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Well, I gotta do banking tonight, got the daughters rent, my retirement check from my IRA and a few tiny chores. Probably won't have time to do anything with the helis tonight. Gotta check on Liz too.

Bless ya all,

Dave

Chopper, sorry to hear your front yard story.........but he** we have all done the very same thing one time or another.

Vic, a guy told me a few days ago he had a magnet come loose in his motor, worth a look. He said it took out the whole motor beyond repair. It started out he wanted from me to know how to rebuild the stock eflite motor, then he got to that magnet part hummmmmmm
JPEE
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Wnuk

Jay- Seen this video over at hf. It's from a Jazz HDV178 cheap $100 camera. I haven't looked at the camera specs but the video quality looked real nice. He had it attached to a Trex 450.

http://www.vimeo.com/5794730

Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
joeyhatch11

Guys need to know: Digital servos vs. analog servos? With my new HDX450 frame and Futaba 7ch I would really like to get only the best but at the same time I dont want to go over board. I'm running the TowerPro 9g servos and a Esky 704B HH gyro that works quite nice. But let me know your thoughts and what you guys are running. Thanks, Joe
Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM
J-MICHAEL

Jeff,
Don't use CA on your canopy! Because it's electric you don't have to seal it completely so 4 small screws would hold it on perfectly or use canopy glue. I just bought a bottle because I've tried many different things and it is by far best for glow models. Just do Vic's method with the hot pin or a small drill bit but then after I thread the screw into the wood, take it back out and wick some thin CA into the hole, just a little goes a long way. This make the soft balsa just as hard as lite ply. Let it dry over night and install the canopy.
CA will cause a fog or haze on clear object that will not come off. I always remove clear parts or wait for stuff to dry before installing. Remember Beverly Hills Cop when they use CA in an aquarium to "fog" the match book for finger print? LOL
On the cutting slots, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most of the pressure will go right out the bottom.
more to come!

Vic,
A huge congrats getting to know her! I'm glad to hear this one is on the ball. I wish I could help on the prop but your going for more speed when I'm going for torque. 9x6, 9x7 maybe

Blessings,

Jay

Jay ~

You mean more to come like finding all E-Flites flaws & mistakes ?! I thought it was the heat last night since it got around 101-107 in places ! Arrow's was around 106... Yikes... Anyway, moving along at a snail's pace I thought I was seeing things as I started noticing that the motor mount box is not square ! As its obvious even in a picture, right where the motor attaches to the box, the last cut they made was in a angle making the shaft tweaked to the side. I'am going to use a couple of washers on the right side to angle it back. I had to do this with my Typoon foamy also after so many crashes and the mount was off. It worked fine for the Typhoon, and should be fine for the MFX. I'am glad I noticed I didn't want it to become a ARFGL... Almost Ready To Fly Good Luck !

It would be like getting behind one of those 4 wheel drives you see on the road and the frame is tweaked so it looks like its driving straight but is canted in an angle... Lol... Funny looking.

Oh yeah, another thing I noticed from the beginning was those little filets that attach to wings on both sides by the canopy/fuse area... One they made longer a tad than the other ?! Maybe its an E-Flite thing ?! I doubt it will have any effect in flight, but thought it was kinda funny. Maybe 2 different pieces from 2 different machines, or someone sipping to many Bud-Light's.... LMAO... Hopefully I'll be able to work on it a bit more tonight also. Got to run to the next job now...

I can't wait to taxi it around my driveway soon ! [8D] On my maiden I'll be taking the wheel pants off and also the smaller wheels, and installing my Typhoon wheels which are a little bigger for the grass terrain at the school. We'll see, they should fit as that's what guys were liking to use as I browsed the old Mini Funtana thread... BTW, I saw you posted there in 06'...

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84890.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1246508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25018.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1246509  
Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Wnuk

Jeff- I would take a look at the instructions before shimming it. Many times left or right thrust (and up or down thrust) is built into a firewall. It is necessary to get the proper thrust from the prop to do its job most effectively. I did this on my Decathlon, built 2 or 3 degrees of right thrust into the firewall as indicated by the plans. The firewall may look odd to you but I wouldn't change it until you make sure its not supposed to be that way.

Joey- digital servos on cyclic/collective are, IMO, wasted money unless you intend to do some real heavy, hard, competition 3D. Putting one on the tail is a great idea though. You want your tail to hold up during all phases of flight and a digital is better for it than an analog.

Just my two cents (that costs the government 3.8 cents to make these days!)

Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

[sm=confused_smile.gif]

J-MICHAEL STOP !

the right cant with which the motor is installed IS BASICALLY A CORRECT, NECESSARY THING !

DO NOT MODIFY OR CHANGE IT......THIS IS LIKE A SURPLUS GIFT BUILT IN, and be GRATEFUL FOR IT...!

every power generator that spins a propeller, needs to be canted a COUPLE OF DEGREES TO THE "RIGHT" AND

another couple [or three] degrees "DOWN" because doing that COMPENSATES for the "P" factor or twist that
the gyroscopic effect of the high RPMs has on the flight of the plane.

from the picture you took from underneath the plane I can PLAINLY SEE that it is correctly done. There should also
be a slight down as well, I'm guessing.

PLEASE, fly it like that PLEASE ?

RICK P.S. I am truly puzzled : I thought this was common knowledge by now, generally world-wide
Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

[sm=confused_smile.gif]

J-MICHAEL STOP !

the right cant with which the motor is installed IS BASICALLY A CORRECT, NECESSARY THING !

DO NOT MODIFY OR CHANGE IT......THIS IS LIKE A SURPLUS GIFT BUILT IN, and be GRATEFUL FOR IT...!

every power generator that spins a propeller, needs to be canted a COUPLE OF DEGREES TO THE ''RIGHT'' AND

another couple [or three] degrees ''DOWN'' because doing that COMPENSATES for the ''P'' factor or twist that
the gyroscopic effect of the high RPMs has on the flight of the plane.

from the picture you took from underneath the plane I can PLAINLY SEE that it is correctly done. There should also
be a slight down as well, I'm guessing.

PLEASE, fly it like that PLEASE ?

RICK P.S. I am truly puzzled : I thought this was common knowledge by now, generally world-wide
When I installed the motor in my Corsair, 2deg down and 2deg right was a given (right is looking forward from behind the plane). This is the VERY reason helicopters hover right skid low....no compensation for torque.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
joeyhatch11

Thanks for the info Jim. I found these on Ebay and didn't find the price to be too bad. Plus there right in N.Y.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALIGN-DS410M-Dig...d=p3286.c0.m14

Even if I dont get them, I'd still go digital on the tail. Thanks again, Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.