Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 12:41 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

Maybe you could find a second hand TT .55?
Old 12-13-2023, 01:09 PM
easystar123

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by David John Davis
It's a toss up between my Enya 50 and my Irvine 52. I love them both and hate to think of them in the paws of ham-fisted beginners. Having said that with the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO the Boomerang requires a long take off run so teaching beginners to take off could be difficult.

Oh and Aidan, I'll get it flying again, no two ways about that. I'd get it flying before Christmas if I were teetotal!
Good stuff David. Sure it's nearly Christmas and you deserve a wee drink .
Old 12-13-2023, 07:31 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Maybe you could find a second hand TT .55?
I actually have a Thunder Tiger 54 in one of my competition Barons, two OS 48 Surpasses and at least two OS 52 Surpasses in boxes but this is the third Boomerang I have crashed through allowing the trainee too much time to correct his mistakes and the thought of destroying one of my beloved four-strokes in a similar situation fills me with horror.

I ought to sell a few mind!

BTW I've been contacted by a gentleman from Indiana over on RC Groups who bought a Mystic in 1985. It was his third model' it was powered by a Super Tigre 75. He bought it in England while serving in the US Airforce as an A10 pilot. He brought it back to the USA but eventually the foam-cored wing started to delaminate. He plans to build a built up wing for it over the winter but I advised him that a new wing set is available to order.

Last edited by David John Davis; 12-13-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:39 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow, I have been away too long now. I stopped getting notifications a while back, and well. LIFE.

I just picked up a Byrons P-51 and posted to get some info on it and got stuck trying to attach a picture. What happened to the links? Or is my Browser fubar.

I have not flown since 2021, nor worked on anything and my shop is a mess from working on farm equipment parts, and house projects, but I have a job to get done making some boat kits in exchange for the P-51. I am hoping to get some flights in next year and maiden my Corsair with the Radial engine.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

You aren't the only one has mentioned adding pictures comes and goes. It seems to clear up on it's own in few days.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:40 PM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Wow, I have been away too long now. I stopped getting notifications a while back, and well. LIFE.

I just picked up a Byrons P-51 and posted to get some info on it and got stuck trying to attach a picture. What happened to the links? Or is my Browser fubar.

I have not flown since 2021, nor worked on anything and my shop is a mess from working on farm equipment parts, and house projects, but I have a job to get done making some boat kits in exchange for the P-51. I am hoping to get some flights in next year and maiden my Corsair with the Radial engine.
It used to be so easy. Go to Advanced mode OR look for the little picture link in the bar above the Message (like what I'm typing in now). But no, now they've gone the way my old SPAD forum was, and that I hated because people got LOST trying to use it and then went to photobucket or the likes. One of the services that disappeared leaving dead links in a still active message thread. Look in the upper bar that starts with Foums, Tools, Buy & Sell and then Photo Gallery. Right click on that so it will open in a new tab and it should show you YOUR photo gallery or ask you to make one where you can enter all your pictures and then go there and scroll through it like you do on your phone, to find the picture you want to use, click the link and insert it into your message. Now, let me see if I have this right by going to my album and copying the link to a picture.

OKAY, so, first off thats hold the ctrl key and click on the photo gallery link. Get to the picture you want to use, and thats if you have to upload it like you used to THEN right click on that and save the link on it. click in the box, press the ctrl key and the a key together to select all and then ctrl c to copy that link. Open a new tab on your browser, insert that link there and enter to see if you have the right image. If it's right, go to your message use the square bracket command img and /img after your link and put your link inbetween those too. You picture should show up as mine does above.
Yes, it used to be so simple. I dunno what goes through peoples minds. My son once told me how easy Linux was. Oh, it's SOOOOOO great having to mount a disk, imaginary or real, to load a folder to load a file that might be there every stinkin time when modern software does all that hibbity bibidty stuff for you. But who am I to say?
Old 12-16-2023, 06:43 PM
Clean

I might also add that my mileage may vary because I'm still using Firefox and those greater minds may have decided that I'm too fuddy duddy to move on to a NEW , REPACKAGED browser like Edge or whatever that mass murderer Gates is calling his new, full of back doors browser. At least I'n not advocating Cobal.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:42 PM
FlyerInOKC

I use the Opera browser and DuckDuckGo search engine, I don't need Mozilla FireFox or Google collecting my data.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:58 PM
Clean

Do the picture links still exist in there as they did?
Old 12-17-2023, 10:04 AM
acdii

What ever the issues is, its the Forum because I went back to my thread from yesterday and the links are back for adding a picture. There! But not HERE!
I am also not getting email notifications either.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:42 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

I've made a bit more progress on repairing the club's trainer. I intend to remove the sticky-back plastic covering and to re-cover it in film provided by the club. I will fit my beloved Enya 50 in place of the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO. The Boomerang has a fully sheeted semi symetrical wing so it's a bit heavier than most similar trainers. Consequently it has a long take-off run which may prove difficult for beginners to manage. In the air the TT flies it perfectly.

Firewall cleaned up. Note the little lugs on the side which locate into slots in the fuselage side.

All formers repaired, glued and clamped into place.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:17 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've made a bit more progress on repairing the club's trainer. I intend to remove the sticky-back plastic covering and to re-cover it in film provided by the club. I will fit my beloved Enya 50 in place of the Thunder Tiger 46 PRO. The Boomerang has a fully sheeted semi symetrical wing so it's a bit heavier than most similar trainers. Consequently it has a long take-off run which may prove difficult for beginners to manage. In the air the TT flies it perfectly.
Even the long takeoff run can be an advantage in teaching beginners that they shouldn't try to yank an airplane off the ground too soon.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:37 AM
David John Davis

Yesterday I went to the local restaurant for the Christmas dinner for everyone in the commune who was seventy years old or older. It was organised by the mayor and his staff. I estimated there to have been at least sixty of us there and the entire population of the commune was only 552 in 2020! We had an apéritif, and an entrée consisting of onions and potatoes in a pastry case with a cheese source. This was followed by slices of pork and ham in a light gravy with sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts. Bread and cheese, then desert followed by coffee. All of this was washed down with a very acceptable Cotes Du Rhone while the man to my right insisted on filling my glass with the St Nicholas Bourgueil he'd bought. This is a red wine produced further north in the Loire Valley. I was thinking of going flying in the afternoon but thought better of it!

Cost? Absolutely nothing... I'll just leave it at that.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by David John Davis
Yesterday I went to the local restaurant for the Christmas dinner for everyone in the commune who was seventy years old or older. It was organised by the mayor and his staff. I estimated there to have been at least sixty of us there and the entire population of the commune was only 552 in 2020! We had an apéritif, and an entrée consisting of onions and potatoes in a pastry case with a cheese source. This was followed by slices of pork and ham in a light gravy with sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts. Bread and cheese, then desert followed by coffee. All of this was washed down with a very acceptable Cotes Du Rhone while the man to my right insisted on filling my glass with the St Nicholas Bourgueil he'd bought. This is a red wine produced further north in the Loire Valley. I was thinking of going flying in the afternoon but thought better of it!

Cost? Absolutely nothing... I'll just leave it at that.
I think a nap is in order!
Old 12-18-2023, 03:39 PM
easystar123

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

Firewall cleaned up. Note the little lugs on the side which locate into slots in the fuselage side.

All formers repaired, glued and clamped into place.
David, the Boomerang should look splendid with the new covering on it. I look forward to seeing it.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its not hard to see why you get the club repair jobs!
Old 12-19-2023, 08:44 AM
mgnostic

When North Texas weather gives you a pretty day you take advantage of it. A few years ago we had a blizzard that shut the countryside down for a week The day before yesterday was calm with shirtsleeve temperatures. I took the opportunity to get in a few flights with the Aeromaster. The K&B .61 was singing.

The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 05:10 PM
FlyerInOKC

Drool!
Old 12-19-2023, 09:36 PM
David John Davis

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Its not hard to see why you get the club repair jobs!
Thank you. It's alright if you don't look too closely. As Assistant Chief Flying Instructor, it's my job to maintain the club's trainer.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:27 AM
acdii

Maybe next year I will get back to flying. I have the Liberty Sport to maiden and the Corsair to maiden, also want to get the P-47 back in the air once I replace the last of the cheap servos I put in. I just hope all the batteries survived sitting for a few years.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:19 PM
David John Davis

I'd just like to wish everybody the greetings of the season. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you all!
Old 12-22-2023, 02:43 AM
easystar123

Default A very merry Christmas to everyone.

Merry Christmas to you David and all my fellow modelers and flyers wishing you all a healthy and happy 2024.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Merry Christmas to you all may your holiday be enjoyable!
Old 12-22-2023, 08:57 AM
mgnostic

Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday and a prosperous new year.
The following users liked this post:
FlyerInOKC (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 04:31 PM
Clean

Originally Posted by mgnostic
Even the long takeoff run can be an advantage in teaching beginners that they shouldn't try to yank an airplane off the ground too soon.
I had a Joss Stick once. 60-90 size Foam wing Ugly Stick with a wonderful pair of Fiberglass main gear on it. I put a Thunder Tiger 65 gp on it and flew that all summer. Wasn't a power house but it was reliable, well mannered and gave yank off power at full throttle but easy flying power at 50-75%. We had a path for runners at the end of the runway, I also used that to put a pylon in for trainer racing. But during the week I would come in, touch down on the North side of the runway then advance the throttle to keep the tail flying and run the plane all the way to the end and down the running strip then give it just enough more to have it lift off and clear the grass and upgrowing trees. The fiberglass landing gear would be bouncing up and down with the ruts and the Mole runs while the wing sat there rock steady. Ahhhhhh, enough power makes flying interesting where too much is, well it's fun who we gonna kid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.