Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 AM
jimmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I know this thread has been quiet for a long time but does anyone know if anyone has done an uproar kit with a 2 piece wing. I am going on holiday to the RC Hotel in Corfu, I am thinking of taking my own plane but it needs to be able to be packe in a box for the flight there and back. So the obvious problem is the uproar is designed to be a one piece model. If anyone can remember if this has been done all help is appreciated.
Cheers Jim.
RChotel
Old 03-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone would know, it would be RICKSTUBBZ. But the UPROAR kit just screams "kit bashing" for anyone who wants to try something like that. One thought that pops into my mind would be make it a high wing (2 piece) with the wing over the top of the fuse.. A lot gets crammed into the stock fuse that by moving up over the fuse might make it easier. Just a thought.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:06 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmac
Hi I know this thread has been quiet for a long time but does anyone know if anyone has done an uproar kit with a 2 piece wing. I am going on holiday to the RC Hotel in Corfu, I am thinking of taking my own plane but it needs to be able to be packe in a box for the flight there and back. So the obvious problem is the uproar is designed to be a one piece model. If anyone can remember if this has been done all help is appreciated.
Cheers Jim.
RChotel
Hey there Jim,
I have not seen any 40 size uproars with plugin wings. However, I have no doubt that with a little ingenuity it could be done.
I assume that you are familiar with the 60 size Uproar having been built that way. I think one could easily adapt that same concept for the 40 size.

I could not resist checking out the RCHotel link.
I don't think I'll be making it to Greece anytime soon. But I have to admit the RCHotel looks like a neat place.
Looks like they have some pretty nice airplanes for rent.
If you make the trip.....Have a good time.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 AM
jimmac

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
If anyone would know, it would be RICKSTUBBZ. But the UPROAR kit just screams "kit bashing" for anyone who wants to try something like that. One thought that pops into my mind would be make it a high wing (2 piece) with the wing over the top of the fuse.. A lot gets crammed into the stock fuse that by moving up over the fuse might make it easier. Just a thought.
Hi Tom,
That sounds like a not bad idea, i would need to find a plastic box at least 50" long that could be a problem. If I cant make it a two piece wing thats the way I will go.
Cheers Jim.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 AM
jimmac

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
Hey there Jim,
I have not seen any 40 size uproars with plugin wings. However, I have no doubt that with a little ingenuity it could be done.
I assume that you are familiar with the 60 size Uproar having been built that way. I think one could easily adapt that same concept for the 40 size.

I could not resist checking out the RCHotel link.
I don't think I'll be making it to Greece anytime soon. But I have to admit the RCHotel looks like a neat place.
Looks like they have some pretty nice airplanes for rent.
If you make the trip.....Have a good time.
Cheers Rick,
I haven't seen the Uproar 60 with plug in wings but I will look that up. I am definitely going to the RC Hotel this will be my 5th visit, the planes are not too bad the only
trouble is they are leaning more and more to electric. I am an ic guy at heart, like I keep telling the guys at the club until the day the guy at the front of my holiday plane says if you can give me 20 minutes to get my batterries loaded my planes will mostly have engines.
A big part of the holiday there is the social side as well, you meet flyers from all over there. The last time I was there as well as UK flyers there were guys from Israel and Norway. And the cook does a wonderful job of making sure we all put on a couple of pounds while you are there.
Jim.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like a really fun place to visit plus I did get that feeling from visiting their web site.

Last edited by karolh; 03-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:27 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Smile New Years Day 2021

After four years of sitting in the loft of a barn, I drug out two of my old uproars and cleaned them up a bit and cycled the batteries a couple times and flew them a couple times each on New Years Day 2021...

It's a little hard to see in the pictures but they now have a nice collection of packing tape patches on the covering. Both engines cranked right up. The were well prepped four years ago and occasionally oiled over those same years. The old batteries are about done. They still have the originals both the flight pack and the transmitters. I could have safely gotten three 8ish minute flights out of them but that is about it.

Hard to believe ten years has passed since I built the three of them. I still have the blue one, and it still needs the firewall repaired. Was nice to get them in the air again...

The following users liked this post:
Tom Nied (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 04:42 AM
karolh

Going flying on a New Year's day most times starts a good trend for the remainder of the year, plus getting back up in the air after such a long layoff must have been a very nice feeling. Even at ten years old those Uproars still look like youngsters, anyway Rick I do hope that this is the start of something big.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:30 PM
Tom Nied

Good old UPROR, I haven't flown mine much. I must fly mine this next year. This post is still going.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:07 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Couldn't resist, had to take this picture to document the times..

I made it out to the field yesterday with the two uproars. Since I have not done any flying for four years, except new years day this year..I figured I'd take this shot to document the times....
capt1597 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 05:02 PM
Tom Nied

AWESOME. I need to clean the dust off of mine too. Will pull it out of storage and check it out. Good job Rick!

capt1597 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 05:45 PM
karolh

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ

Couldn't resist, had to take this picture to document the times..

I made it out to the field yesterday with the two uproars. Since I have not done any flying for four years, except new years day this year..I figured I'd take this shot to document the times....
Great to see this thread revived. Good going Rick and I can just imagine how surprised your models were to be out of storage and back up in the air.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Default Anybody still building and/or flying "TOWER HOBBIES UPROARS"

Thought I would give this old thread a bump..
Anybody out there still building and/or flying "TOWER HOBBIES UPROARS" ?

All three of mine still exist. But, that is in part do to not getting any flight time.... The soft return to building and flying has turned out to be really soft!
Last time out, I had one of the elevator servos on the purple plane quit. Got it one the ground just fine. In fact, spent half the flight trying to figure out "why is this thing flying so "LAME". Once I got it on the ground and taxiing back I noticed only one elevator moving...
All three need a little covering work, the blue one still needs firewall fixed and I need to cut into the other two to replace the batteries. As you may recall I buried the batteries in the tail for balancing.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:55 PM
Tom Nied

Mine forlornly resides in the basement. My go to model is a Escapade 40 that I really like. I think I've only had my Uproar out only twice. The small moments, lots of power (Magnum .46) intimidate me. Also like you, getting out to the field has been tough to do. It's intact, just have to blow out the cobwebs and take it out on a good day.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:34 AM
karolh

So nice to see this thread come back to life, as even though I'ver never owned or flown an Uproar I do enjoy hearing stories about them and their excellent flying traits.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:52 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres a kit, go get it!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ies-Uproar-kit
Old 12-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Tom Nied

A 100 bucks plus shipping? No thanks. The original kit was only 40 bucks.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:48 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

That's pretty crazy....
The ARF is listed at $125 free shipping. Minus whatever discount you might have.
Then again, those are on BACKORDER. These "still crazy" times have supply and demand so out of whack..

I'll have to figure out the bill of materials and see how much the wood would cost at today's crazy prices...
As much as I like uproars I would not think that I'd pay $100 for a new kit? Just not much there?
Needless to say, having three of them (built) already kind of taints my perspective.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:52 PM
kamlooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Btw its not my listing. I did a search on rcg and they have been selling for near that price for a year...but I hear ya.

Last edited by kamlooper; 12-05-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:44 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

After reading this thread back in 12-2015 I purchased my Uproar Kit. It is still in the box. My preference seems to be print a plan then hand draw to the size I want and build. That is how I’ve cut and built all my airplanes. Maybe one day I will build this kit. It will be my first kit build since about the 70’s. i have another kit I purchased also still in the box. Lol. Humm.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:13 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Angry Balsa Cost

Well,
I did a rough estimate of the wood cost for one of these uproars.
Granted I rounded everything up a little bit but did not estimate for plywood parts.

How depressing....I keep thinking - surely I miscalculated something?
at current BALSA USA prices - the wood for this kit would cost +/- $70
Old 12-12-2022, 08:05 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, but that is better than $100. A manufacturer could even get it lower. Problem is, what is the demand for a Tower Uproar kit? Probably not too big.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:08 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Unhappy Balsa Cost Update

After seeing an add for National Balsa, I went to their website and did a cost comparison for the wood needed to build an Uproar kit.
Doing apples to apples type of comparison, at today's prices, it would cost +/- $50 for all the wood needed from National Balsa to build an Uproar.

Again, this was a very loose quote and I rounded everything up some. These estimates also included 4 sheets of 4" wide balsa which gets pricey in comparison. One could save money buying 2" wide material and edge gluing it to make the 4"

On a different note,
I sure hope RCU is able to restore all of the older attached photos to all of these threads.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:16 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Default It's a NEW YEAR

I sure hope that RCU is able to recover all the old photos in the threads.

Recently I finally decided to repair the Blue Uproar that I damaged back in Sept of 2014 on a batched and bounced dead stick landing. Even though it was looking pretty rough , it has been cleaned a few times and the engine oiled every now and again over the years.

The only damage was breaking the fire wall loose from the fuse. As it turned out it was a really clean break and I was able to finish breaking the firewall off by putting some screws back in for the motor mounts and pry on them. Then to repair it all I had to do was add glue and put it together.

I also ended up pulling the ST51 apart and doing a good clean job just to be safe.

Yesterday I took all three to the club field and Got some New Year flying done. Hard to believe how long ago I built these things.

This is how it looked when it came out of the loft

After some clean up

You can see where the firewall has cracked

clean break

got to have a clamp or two

Once the repair and engine was cleaned up..and a little work with the heat gun and irons. Still has some issues but hey, its about 12 and the covering on this was was original bought in 1985 when I first built my Sig Smith MiniPlane. I did put a couple new stars on it.

all three at the field for New Years Day Flying for the first time in over eight years

Last edited by RICKSTUBBZ; 01-02-2023 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-02-2023, 02:51 PM
karolh

Wow Rick, now that was a great way to start the New Year. My club usually has a Boxing Day fly day but unfortunately our grass field was in very poor state from recent heavy rains hence no flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.