Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 05:31 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I die, I’ll be leaving a cellar full of broken planes
Old 03-01-2024, 07:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bisco
When I die, I’ll be leaving a cellar full of broken planes

I'ver got a couple of those too!
Old 03-01-2024, 08:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

I got at least one broken plane too. Right now I'm playing with an unfinished build I was given from an estate a friend liquidated. He didn't have the heart to toss it. I needed a rest from a scale build and went with something easy I could knock out. It's a Carl Goldberg Tiger 2. Color scheme is white and orange with this guy as the pilot and him crouching for a side decal. The project was missing a few pieces but I can fabricate the wood. I had to order a canopy from Dino at Aero Accessories.

The following 4 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
bisco (03-01-2024), David John Davis (03-01-2024), Flicker (03-09-2024), mgnostic (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 08:46 AM
mgnostic

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I suppose that many of us are in the same boat. I turn 76 in a few days and have discovered that most Englishmen like me, die between the age of 76 and 78 so I have beeen getting rid of a few things! Having said that the average life expectancy of an Englishman is 81 which suggests that if you make it to 79 you'll have a few more years yet.

I'm left with four kits still in their boxes. Two are patternships, a Super Kaos Junior and a Supra Star. Two are scale models, a Hawker Hurricane and a Stampe Monitor. Then there's the Galaxy Models "Mystic" and the DB Sport & Scale Auster to finish off, and the DSM Aerostar, another patternship, to restore. You can add to that a 1/6 scale BE2e which I started to build at least ten years ago and an ARTF Kyosho Calmato! Currently I'm building a new wing for my Baron featuring depron wing ribs and a carbon fibre leading edge.

No buttons this morning.

I'd better get on with things.
Luckily for us old guys, if you make it past the median age for your demographic you have a pretty good chance of making it to the far end of the bell curve. That average age is strongly biased by those guys whose motto is: "Hey y'all, watch this!". I suppose the road ends for us all at some point. I'm just trying to figure out how to enjoy the rest of the trip.
The following users liked this post:
David John Davis (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 09:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like a plan! If I'm still here in October I will have out lived my father, I have already out lived his father and grandfather. It will take another 14 years to catch up with my maternal grandfather. However long I have I plan to retire early next year and build a lot of airplanes!
Old 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
bisco

What is the average lifespan of a Frenchman?
Old 03-01-2024, 10:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bisco
What is the average lifespan of a Frenchman?
It depends on if his wife is the jealous type!
bisco (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

According to https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...ife-expectancy
France is 83.26
United Kingdom 81.92
USA 79.25
bisco (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:05 AM
bisco

Thanks!
it must be the diet. I’ll have to increase wine and cheese
David John Davis (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 02:45 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Still not getting any emails from this forum. 8 months to go, 8. Already have retirement planned out, just have to decide on 62 or 65. I guess it depends on how well the Lavender grows and how it sells. I have enough acreage to theoretically sell $100K a year. Will see.

I am ALMOST to the point where I can clear my work bench and resume finishing up my Corsair and get back to work on my B-25. Just need to put some recharging sockets in so I don't have to remove the wing, and find a pilot that fits so I can put the canopy on then maiden time.
April 15 back to the office 5 days a week, no longer need my workshop for office space so its getting a facelift too.

My tractor was picked up today to get the EGR valve replaced, and now off to power up the RV so I can see if I can find the extended warranty paperwork so I can have it serviced .

WHY can't the world slow down to match us when we get older?
bisco (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 03:16 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
WHY can't the world slow down to match us when we get older?
Amen!
Old 03-01-2024, 03:47 PM
bisco

How many acres of lavender? That’s going to be beautiful!
Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 PM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It was spring time yard cleanup here today. Also had to add a couple Cubic Yards of dirt to my front yard, did it over yesterday and today. Should be ready to seed. Just gonna grow grass there though my neighbors bees probably would like the lavendar. Tomorrow is empty my office day and get my desk tore down so we can move it to my wifes office sunday THEN my grandson has a soccer game we get to go to. No flying his weekend. Gonna be another warm week. I'll probably need to start mowing the week after. Here, my daughters and since it's 5 minutes from there. The paths and CL circle at the club field. I'll take a plane, just in case.

Flyins season is upon us.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Got the buttons back this morning!

Lord Hardthrasher has put up another video on the bomber war but this time it's not a carefully edited video but something much more unscripted. I think that you American gentlemen may find it particularly interesting, especially the long poem he reads out at the end.

I must stop all this lolling about in bed and get up to clean a few models for the club's exhibition over the weekend.

Last edited by David John Davis; 03-01-2024 at 09:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by David John Davis:
Clean (03-01-2024), GallopingGhostler (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

A few pictures of the exhibition attached for your delictation. We have three members who are keen amateur cooks, one of whom has received some professional training, so they prepared cassoulet for lunch on Sunday.

My Galaxy Models Mystic. I was able to hinge the tail surfaces during a quiet spell!

Fokker DVIII, requiring a little renovation, alongside a DVII.

Stampe biplane

Fokker DVII

Not every model displayed was in excellent condition.

Nieuport Bébé.Fokker DVII

Fokker DVII, OS 120FS powered. The best model of the show.

Too Many Cooks!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-04-2024 at 11:44 PM.
Flicker (03-09-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 09:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great pictures! You can tell the one needed a little TLC but still it deserved to be displayed. Someone has flown the heck out of it and I'll bet it's still flying!
Old 03-04-2024, 01:38 PM
Clean

I didn't see one Stick. Sure, there was a Funny Cub, little brother to the Fun Cub that Tailheavy Productions goes on and on and on and on about but ehhh, no Sticks, not much interest to me. And you have three almost professional chefs and they cooked, a casserole?
Oh dear oh dear I know times are tough but a Caserole? Ohhhhhhhhhhh.....
I just got part of my stuff back into my room and turned the puter on, so I'm feeling spicy. Can you BUY that fabric with the Lozenge pattern on it? I was listening to a video where they said that the fabric in WWI CAME with that pattern on. They just pulled it over the plane, stitched it, shrunk and sealed it and then If the pilot had personal art he wanted to put on it they did. I bet that saved time.
I should probably build a large Balsa stick and cover that in Dacron with a nice posey print. Ahh spring.

Looks like a heck of a time. We have a group of SPAD members a devotee's that meet up 2nd weekend of January in Des Moines. We usually bring food of some type, and eat out at least once, though one of our guys runs a BBQ joint and we ate GOOD. Then as we're flying in one of the buildings at the Iowa State Fair Grounds and we run the flyin, we camp out in there, fly till 2 or 3 and pass out to get up at sunup and get ready to welcome the folks in and help em setup, fly and yack at em CUZZ most of the repeats are tired of my same old 20-30 stories, though that doesn't stop me. I usually pick a guy and tell him to stop yacking all the time.

I'll see about driving over there next year. I'm sure Google can find me a route;-)

Looked like a good time.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:41 PM
FlyerInOKC

You can buy the fabric with the Lozenge pattern here: https://balsausa.com/collections/1-3...-glen-torrance
Clean (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:52 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

While you can buy the lozenge fabric, the covering on the model displayed at our exhibition was painted. I'm not sure whether it was spray painted or painted by hand. The model was a replica of how a Fokker DVII would have looked when it left the factory. On active service the fuselages and tailplanes were frequently over-painted in squadron colours and individual pilots added their own markings too.

Clean, you maybe confusing a cassoulet with a casserole. A cassoulet is a casserole but a casserole is not necessarily a cassoulet! Should you wish to make your own cassoulet, here's a recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...ancs-cassoulet

Last edited by David John Davis; 03-04-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:05 AM
Clean

As for cassoulet I was playing dumb just like saying "Doesn't look like much of a show, not one Ugly Stick". Looks like a real good time. Hand painted lozenge. I had an old 87 F-150 in whatever color faded to brownish. I was so tempted to map it out and start painting BUT it was the sons truck till he moved on and after that, I just didn't have any time to rattle can it and after all, that's a lot of work. I really admire the guys that can not only paint BUT can build scale planes. I'm lucky to get 2 maybe three different colors on a plane. Sometimes that's after the coat of dirt and the inevitable rebuild BUT,,,,,
I used to do model railroading, ran a modular club for a while. Well, got it started, ran it out of my garage. Built and wired the four corner modules. I was a whiz at laying track, wiring getting it all functional and reliable. Then my artistic skills. I'm pretty good with flat Kansas, now, Texas south of Houston to Galvestone flat, dioramas. The kid of flat you can watch your dog run away for a day, 3 if you stand on a curb. Luckily, I got busy with a new job and ended up selling my trains and giving away my modules. Next time I saw them at a show, they looked awesome! Totally stripped of the garbage I put on them other then the tracks.
So ya, I envy the Scale guys. Best I could do is build a Planform scale plane but then paint it all Red or Black with some identifying colors and no detail.

I can strain a plane through a barb wire fence with the best of them though
Flicker (03-09-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:18 AM
mgnostic

The BUSA stock of Glen Torrance fabric looks to be limited. I don't think any more is being produced. A pity, since given the quality of Glen's products, it is probably the most accurate covering out there. I picked up some remnants last weekend at a local swapmeet. If I bought out he rest of BUSA's stock of 1/4 scale fabric it might be enough to do an airplane. I understand that a company in Germany is producing some iron on lozenge fabric but I haven't seen any first hand yet. Personally, I've had pretty good luck with polyester fabric from Spoonflower. I can't swear to the absolute accuracy of the colors but if you snug it down and hit it with a few coats of tautening nitrate dope it will ring like a drum.​​​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by mgnostic:
Flicker (03-06-2024), Telemaster Sales UK (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 09:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Arizona Model Aircrafters offer it made to order it appears. https://arizonamodels.com/products/4...ouflage-fabric
Old 03-06-2024, 10:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I repaired the Ukrainian Baron's wing and I've built a new wing for the British Baron. I used depron for most of the wing ribs and carbon fibre tube for the leading edge on the British Baron. I changed the construction of the wing and it has resulted in a very light and rigid wing. The original wing had 28 ribs and 4 spars. Mine has 18 ribs and three spars plus a D section leading edge.

The Ukrainian Baron Boris, is flight ready, indeed I flew it this afternoon. The British Baron Bertie, should be ready by the weekend but the weather at this time of the year is very changeable.

This wing features only

Clean (03-09-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:44 AM
gbrady
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Old timers

Many great memories of Jr Hi and my Ringmaster with a McCoy 35 red head for starters. Then my Flight Streak with my fox 35 which I still have some 65 yeas ago
The following 2 users liked this post by gbrady:
David John Davis (03-06-2024), GallopingGhostler (03-06-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:14 AM
mgnostic

I went out a few days ago to catch one of the few calm spring days that we get in North Texas and one of the drone guys got a nice air to air video of the second flight of my Piece O'Cake. I've added a throttle servo for the TT.07 engine. The extra servo and fuel tank add a bit of weight but it doesn't seem problematic in terms of lift. I am still sorting out the CG. It's flyable but I think it is a little tail heavy as it sometimes seems to fight the controls a bit. I'm really liking the little .07.
The following 2 users liked this post by mgnostic:
bisco (03-09-2024), Flicker (03-10-2024)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.