Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Slight change to the plan guys. Talked with the Judge this evenig and he reminded me of the upcoming event at the Dayton Air Force museum this coming week end. It is called the 'Dayton Giant Scalers Air Show'. 8 to 10,000 in attendance each day. 150' X 7500' runway. About 3.5 hrs away.

The last time I got to attend this show was years ago when my boys were just little ones. They are all grown and married now. Didn't fly at that event. I do remember a Dr. flying a Bud Nosen P-51 very impressively back then. Was probably about 18 years ago.

We will get our planes ready for the show, and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Anyone else going?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

The guy in the red shirt taking pictures is Al our Club Pres.. I'll post some pics up when he emails them to me,, they usually come out great
Looking forward to seeing them. Thank you.

Does he post pictures of events on your web site?
Yes but it tends to take a while,

Have fun down in Dayton,, I don't think I can make it,,Wife's working all weekend and I got kid duty
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
ram3500-RCU

The guy in the red shirt taking pictures is Al our Club Pres.. I'll post some pics up when he emails them to me,, they usually come out great
Looking forward to seeing them. Thank you.

Does he post pictures of events on your web site?
Yes but it tends to take a while,

Have fun down in Dayton,, I don't think I can make it,,Wife's working all weekend and I got kid duty
Roger that. Still don't see anything posted in the site from last years fly-in.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM
ram3500-RCU

We have made a decition on the subject we will model. It is this F4U-1A.

The F4U-1A named BIG HOG (or Hog-1 or White 1) flown by LCDR John "Tommy" Blackburn, CO of the VF-17 Jolly Rogers which was the first Navy squadron to fly Corsairs.

Both planes will be painted in this scheme, with #2 being given much more detail.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32541.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1654634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79662.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1654635  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM
vfrank59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slight change to the plan guys. Talked with the Judge this evenig and he reminded me of the upcoming event at the Dayton Air Force museum this coming week end. It is called the 'Dayton Giant Scalers Air Show'. 8 to 10,000 in attendance each day. 150' X 7500' runway. About 3.5 hrs away.

The last time I got to attend this show was years ago when my boys were just little ones. They are all grown and married now. Didn't fly at that event. I do remember a Dr. flying a Bud Nosen P-51 very impressively back then. Was probably about 18 years ago.

We will get our planes ready for the show, and keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Anyone else going?

Gary,
I may be having an issue with my folding wing setup. I have purged all the air in the hydraulics, pretty sure anyway, as there are no air bubbles in the system. I have seen other corsairs wing folding and it seems so smooth and quick, 10 secs down and 10 up.. I have tried 50 psi up to 130 psi. it goes a little wuiker at the higher pressure. down takes 15 sec. and folding up takes 30 sec. at 120 psi , I get the 1 second pump cycle interval and get 15 down and 30 fold up. I am using an 2400 mah A123 6.6 volt battery

Does this sound normal to you? what are your times up and down and what PSI for the accumulator are you using.

CG and fire the engine up is all that is left to do. Knee Knocker in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Vern
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM
JPate147

Hello Guys,

I used to attend the Dayton show, but it was gradually taken over by the 3D guys. They do allot an hour each day for Warbird gaggles, but why not go to the Warbird fly-in in Muncie the same weekend? My friends and I are coming up from Alabama and Mississippi as we have never been to the Muncie event.

Great thread, and good luck with your maiden. I have one of the Comp-ARF Corsairs too, but mine is the plug in wing version, so I can't help with the tech questions on the folding wing.

Jerry
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 AM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Gary
              Just saw you were in here as well, so I thought as I cannot get you anywhere else I would try here.
Can you please give me the latest info on my P-38 kit.
Thanks Barry
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Gary, This is a Great thread. On a great subject. I love the F4U and will build another some day. Keep up the great work. John T.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
TJPro351
My Feedback: (8)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: vfrank59

Anyone else going?

Gary,
I may be having an issue with my folding wing setup. I have purged all the air in the hydraulics, pretty sure anyway, as there are no air bubbles in the system. I have seen other corsairs wing folding and it seems so smooth and quick, 10 secs down and 10 up.. I have tried 50 psi up to 130 psi. it goes a little wuiker at the higher pressure. down takes 15 sec. and folding up takes 30 sec. at 120 psi , I get the 1 second pump cycle interval and get 15 down and 30 fold up. I am using an 2400 mah A123 6.6 volt battery

Does this sound normal to you? what are your times up and down and what PSI for the accumulator are you using.

CG and fire the engine up is all that is left to do. Knee Knocker in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Vern
Vern,
I had the same issue when I initially installed the servo and come to find out, my servo was not engaging/disengaging the plunger all the way on the valve. I realized I had only 50% end points programed on that channel. So make sure the valve is going in/out all the way. Hope this helps.
Tim
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM
ram3500-RCU

Anyone else going?

Gary,

Thanks,
Vern
Vern, the valve is a good thing to check. Also, we have 100lbs in the Accumulator. On this first airframe, the accumulator that came with it was not working properly. This aircraft was originally purchased in 08 I think (never finished), so it would have been an early version. The new pump/accumulator that came with the kit version we purchased this year looks quite different. We installed that one in this earlier version, and it worked perfectly right away.

We have not timed the wings, and they are slightly faster going down than up, but much faster than 30 seconds I think.

With our planes, Brian is the expert on the wing system, so maybe he has more to offer.

10-4 on the knee-knocker. I used bungees to keep my knees from knocking.

Really though, she flies so nice, you need not worry about it too much. Just keep her level on that touch down, and keep the tail nice and high to keep her on the ground until the speed bleeds off and the tail stalls.

You may also want to consider a safety locking system for the wings like we have done, or the pin system by others.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM
ram3500-RCU

Anyone else going?

Gary,

Thanks,
Vern
One more thing Vern. I just got back from Brian's shop, and we timed our wing cycles. 6.7 seconds both up and down, without the outer panels. Now they are a little slower going up with the extra weight, but I would say that it is no more than 10 seconds. Again, that is with only 100lbs in the accumulator.

The thing is, the pressure in the accumulator has less effect on the cycle speed than the speed of the motor. We are using a 2c 2200mah LiPo. The 7.4 volts runs the motor a little faster (moving more volume of fluid) than the 6.6 A123s. I would suggest going to the LiPos if you want more speed.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:51 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: John Taylor

Hi Gary, This is a Great thread. On a great subject. I love the F4U and will build another some day. Keep up the great work. John T.
Thanks John. This is a fun project, and one of the nicest production planes I have worked with. The workmanship and materials are outstanding.

We opted for the kit version for competition so we could better control the fit and finish of the components. But even the ARF is very well done. We HAVE found that on the ARF, the left wing has a slight bind in the leading edge attachment point. Due to the extra resistance, that wing lags behind as they cycle. The fluid follows the path of least resistance. That same wing seems to stick when down. A slight push down on the tip, is all it takes to unstick it. Could all be related. We hope to get our kit glued up better.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: JPate147

Hello Guys,

I used to attend the Dayton show, but it was gradually taken over by the 3D guys. They do allot an hour each day for Warbird gaggles, but why not go to the Warbird fly-in in Muncie the same weekend? My friends and I are coming up from Alabama and Mississippi as we have never been to the Muncie event.

Great thread, and good luck with your maiden. I have one of the Comp-ARF Corsairs too, but mine is the plug in wing version, so I can't help with the tech questions on the folding wing.

Jerry
Jerry, you make a good point. I do remember that having been said about that event. I too have never been to Muncie. We just may go there instead. I just hope the weather forecast starts looking a little better.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
vfrank59

Anyone else going?

Gary,

Thanks,
Vern
One more thing Vern. I just got back from Brian's shop, and we timed our wing cycles. 6.7 seconds both up and down, without the outer panels. Now they are a little slower going up with the extra weight, but I would say that it is no more than 10 seconds. Again, that is with only 100lbs in the accumulator.

The thing is, the pressure in the accumulator has less effect on the cycle speed than the speed of the motor. We are using a 2c 2200mah LiPo. The 7.4 volts runs the motor a little faster (moving more volume of fluid) than the 6.6 A123s. I would suggest going to the LiPos if you want more speed.

Ok , thanks for all the info. i will check the valve positioning and install a 7.4 lipo. I will research the pin lock system for the wings..

Vern
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
vfrank59

Well, I checked the valve stroke and it is good. Then I plugged in a 7.4 lion battery I had laying around and it solved the issue! Yeah, now on to checking CG and firing up the Engine.

I will start it tomorrow and maybe get a little video if I can manage it.

Thanks for all the help!!
Vern
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 AM
ram3500-RCU

Well, I checked the valve stroke and it is good. Then I plugged in a 7.4 lion battery I had laying around and it solved the issue! Yeah, now on to checking CG and firing up the Engine.

Vern
Glad to help Vern. We wish you success on maiden.

Consider the simple lock-down we came up with for the wings. Just a matter of drilling and taping the arm for an 8-32 bolt, which screws down against the brass pin so it can't unlock. It is easily done through the little cover door over that main pivot. Very simple yet bullet proof safety devise. I can tell you, it gives you a lot of peace of mind in the air. With everything else that can happen, I at least know that the wings can not fold. In fact, we even turn off the pump system and the power to the valve servo (we have a block in the bottom of the wing with both switches in it) before we fly.

Name:	Ig12913.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	1655110  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're becoming quite the embassitor of giant scale sir!

Watching with envy

Casey

Anyone else going?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

The F4U-1A named BIG HOG (or Hog-1 or White 1) flown by LCDR John ''Tommy'' Blackburn, CO of the VF-17 Jolly Rogers which was the first Navy squadron to fly Corsairs.

Both planes will be painted in this scheme, with #2 being given much more detail.

Didnt' know if you knew about the three black "spots" on the right side of the fuse on Big Hog in both the real picture you posted and the artist rendition.
Those are patched up bullet holes courtesy of wing man Roger Hedrick who shot at Blackburn mistakenly in a dog fight. All Blackburn said to Hedrick about it was "Your a lousy shot roger when those six .50's hit me it moved my plane sideways" and never spoke about it again. I'm sure you probably came across that but figured I post it anyway.
The corsair is one of my favorites and I'm sure I'll own a comp arf someday....

Peter
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: glazier808

You're becoming quite the embassitor of giant scale sir!

Watching with envy

Casey

Anyone else going?
Thanks for the kind words Casey. Not sure if I qualify, with all the talented builders of giants around, but I will always do what I can to promote these giants that so many of us have a passion for..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Doolittleraider

The F4U-1A named BIG HOG (or Hog-1 or White 1) flown by LCDR John ''Tommy'' Blackburn, CO of the VF-17 Jolly Rogers which was the first Navy squadron to fly Corsairs.

Didnt' know if you knew about the three black ''spots'' on the right side of the fuse on Big Hog in both the real picture you posted and the artist rendition.
Those are patched up bullet holes courtesy of wing man Roger Hedrick who shot at Blackburn mistakenly in a dog fight. All Blackburn said to Hedrick about it was ''Your a lousy shot roger when those six .50's hit me it moved my plane sideways'' and never spoke about it again. I'm sure you probably came across that but figured I post it anyway.
The corsair is one of my favorites and I'm sure I'll own a comp arf someday....

Peter
Yes Peter, we did. As a matter of fact, that is one of the reasons the Judge was drawn to this plane. The history is interesting and the pilot was very colorful. I know it has been modeled before, but we will do our best to depict it as it would have looked after the 'friendly fire' incident.

For example, look closely at the actual picture of the patched bullet holes. You see three or four? I see four, yet in the painted picture, they only show three. That is why I never model and model, or rely solely on artists interpretations. We will do our best to get it right.

Name:	Ca82929.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1655306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56804.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1655307  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
vfrank59

Well, I checked the valve stroke and it is good. I plugged in a 7.4 lion battery I had laying around and it solved the issue! Yeah! now on to checking CG and firing up the Engine.

Vern

Well, more progress. I balanced the Corsair today and it took 10 1/2 lbs of lead. I will mixed some epoxy and pour it behind the firewall. Plane to fire the engine sometime tomorrow. Pressure is holding fine on the gear, up and down, for about 10 hours each. using 100 psi for the gear. The wing accumulator is now working great. I am using a 7.4 volt battery and 100 psi for the accumulator. The Maiden will take place in 2 weeks if the hot weather will give us a break in Phoenix.

[img][/img]

Name:	Mx69864.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1655960  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Well, I checked the valve stroke and it is good. I plugged in a 7.4 lion battery I had laying around and it solved the issue! Yeah! now on to checking CG and firing up the Engine.

Vern

Well, more progress. I balanced the Corsair today and it took 10 1/2 lbs of lead. I will mixed some epoxy and pour it behind the firewall. Plane to fire the engine sometime tomorrow. Pressure is holding fine on the gear, up and down, for about 10 hours each. using 100 psi for the gear. The wing accumulator is now working great. I am using a 7.4 volt battery and 100 psi for the accumulator. The Maiden will take place in 2 weeks if the hot weather will give us a break in Phoenix.

[img][/img]
That seems like a lot of nose weight. Mine is a plug-in wing version. I use a 3W 157 engine. I balanced mine with 4.75 lb of lead.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
ram3500-RCU

Looks like you are making real progress Vern.

Here is link to a video that captured my bouncy landing. I know now how to land her. The second landing was perfect.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgO2A059mkg The Corsair starts at 3.42 into the video.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

I pulled the plugs tonight, and based on what I saw, I am going to cut back on the oil, add a little Marvel to the gas, and lean it out just a bit. I also took the exhaust header nuts loose (already just finger tight from the last time out, and added the high temp RTV.

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate for this week end. We will just get on with the painting process.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Gary,
I get you another set of blades before Monster Planes. Just wanted to let you know I have not forgot you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.