Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

wanted to share this with the club. Thanks to Dave from the UFO club for these photos. lots of mods and flys like a dream.

I suppose I should add that this is a kit built Tiger 60 with an OS 60 SF in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31569.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1799356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57151.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1799357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85846.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1799358  
Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

One way to get the fuse straight is to put it together with rubber bands. After you put the side doublers on, use the tabs on the formers to lock into the slots on the fuse sides, then slide the bottom in from the front. Use 4-5 rubber bands about equally spaced, getting it pretty tight. Now you can twist it and pull on it until it looks straight. Then use your table and a tri-square (or anything else you know is square) to make sure it's square and glue it with thin CA. If you want to use titebond or some other type of aliphatic resin, it's easy to pull a little gap between the surfaces and then let it go back together. I've built 4-5 Tigers like this and I've never had a problem. Hope this helps!!

Red Raider
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
jkr_1100

RR

This technique is mentioned in the instructions that come with the Tiger 60 kit. it works good just make very sure that you are square, this means 90 degree corners.

I used titebond wood glue mixed down with milled fiberglass and a small amount of microballoons. I mix with these substances until i get a mix like thick cake batter. I use a disposble brush to wipe this glue into the corners. This has yielded a very strong and light model and I recommend it to everyone. this is not fuelproof.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkr_1100

I used titebond wood glue mixed down with milled fiberglass and a small amount of microballoons. I mix with these substances until i get a mix like thick cake batter. I use a disposble brush to wipe this glue into the corners. This has yielded a very strong and light model and I recommend it to everyone. this is not fuelproof.

do you mean foolproof or fuelproof ???
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 PM
jkr_1100

fuel proof
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 AM
crash bandicoute

I would like to join. Just got back home and have mine going on the bench now. I doubt i will get to fly it this summer, but gives me something to tinker with. I'll probably have to put my skis or floats on it by the time i'm ready for takeoff. I still have to epoxy on the tail, hinge everything and figure out a cowl for it. I was planning to carve/sand one, but i may just mold something and glass one. Pretty close to complete after that. Just linkages and covering. Oh yeah, .40 size kit, O.S. 40FX with bisson pitts. I'm looking at transparent green monkeykote for the color right now.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
jkr_1100

crash bandicoute #38

sounds great CrashB send some pics of the progress. it is not bad manners to send pics before it is done. good luck with the build. I think I will put mine on floats for the winter.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM
camsbad

Well, the Tiger 60 flew today and it flies straight and true, no issues what - so - ever with this plane. I can also attest that the plane will do a nice long knife edge (modified rudder).

Goldberg/GP has a great flying plane with this one ...

Name:	Ca81665.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	1799629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89366.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	1799630  
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
jkr_1100

Ah the Tigger 60. Looks nice. does knife edge. enjoy, I bet its as smooth as silk.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Crazy4Flight

JKR

I bought a new (USED) Four Stroke motor for my Tiger 60.
The Four Strokes are: suck, squeeze, burn, and blow.
And it uses a glow plug for ignition!
Mounting it may be a problem...dont want the exaust to burn off the fin and rudder.

Name:	Lj24031.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1799644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54958.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1799645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89525.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1799646  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
jkr_1100

long runway but fast on the top end.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Crazy4Flight

36 lbs of thrust! and a paved runway it would be airborne in 250 feet.

But it will go in this...

Name:	Ec87125.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1799650  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
bikerbc

Yes I Have a jig I made for assembeling the fuse and I can see where it would be difficult to assemble without it..I rember trying with out a jig on the first60 and I ended up borrowing a jig. Then I built one of my own....A fuse jig is easy to make and a must have once you have used one...The 60 size is harder than the tiger 2 fuse I guess because its longer...I built a Tiger 2 without a jig and it came out fine...I really liked the Tiger 2 but I wasen ready for it and I lost it on about the sixth flight....I built a tiger 60 the next winter and am still flying that one along with others. I did a few mods to my next Tiger like making it a tail dragger and increased the size of the elevators and rudder..I also built on a cowl..Decreased the dihedral a bit..It really flys nice.....Another great plane is the Ultra Sport..Its a lot like the Tigers...</p>
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Please sign me up! I built a Tiger2, modded it with a full cowl, tail dragger gear, and extended elevator and rudder, and powered it with a PAW .40 diesel. It flew great! At least it did for the first dozen or so flights, until I lost it downwind in the sun on a new- to- me landing approach. It didn't survive... Before pictures are in the Tiger 60 build thread, and the diesel forum too. I don't have them on this computer.

I'm going to order a Tiger 60 to take it's place, and I can use either a fairly new OS 60FX, or a Super Tigre 60, I guess I'll see how it balances first.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
scottrc

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I really like the radial cowl. I have an extra cowl from the Great Planes Piper Cherokee that I bought as a replacement after a crash but found the Cherokee to be too far gone to rebuild. The pictures of the radial cowl just gave me an idea on what to use the Cherokee cowl for. I picture the Tiger would look like a Cherokee Six.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM
VincentJ

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Took my Tiger flying tonight as the weather was perfect. Here are some photos in flight.

Name:	Ki18186.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1800299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83812.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1800300  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:37 AM
bikerbc

Congrats Camsbad I just knew you were gonna like it.... I increased the size of my rudder and elevator too.. It helps a lot...I am not sure about knife edge though , I still havent mastered that...I do these pathetic wobbly scary things that end up heading for the ground if I dont bail....I am going to keep at it if you say it will do it though....
Old 09-13-2012, 03:47 AM
bikerbc

VincentJ Thats a nice looking Tiger Is that an OS 81 you are using? In that one pic where you are flying how are you gonna land? your wheels are on the top...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM
VincentJ

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks bikerbc, that's an OS91 4 stroke, it runs great and is a good fit for the Tiger. I don't believe they are making that engine anymore. As far as the picture goes you are correct I am inverted going low just to prove the agility of the Tiger, definitly<u> not</u> landing. I also have to confess I wasn't flying my plane at the time it was a friend at the field, I was behind the camera! I have been flying that Tiger alot now for three years.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
scottrc

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice Vincent
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The interesting thing about the original Sky Tiger, is that it was just a low wing Eagle 63. The airfoil had a little curvature added on the bottom leading edge, but otherwise it was the same wing. Same tail feathers as well. The wing just mounted on the bottom instead of the top[ and a canopy was added.
The great thing about this was if you built the Eagle then moved up to the Sky Tiger, you had already built the pane essentially and the build went very smooth.
Goldberg were at the forefront of model engineering at the time. They really had the best kits by and large. At least for newer pilots. Kind of sad they are all but gone now.
I have great memories of my Eagle 63 and Sky Tiger. My Tiger was covered brown and gold like on the box. I discovered very quickly this was very hard to see!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
bikerbc

double post
Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM
bikerbc

Yes we have lost a lot of wonderful kits and things from the past but we have gained so much more...I look at our raidos and am amazed at how cheap they are and what they can do...Back about 1982 I had radio custom built and it cost me $1000.00 ( roughly ) and its biggest feature was that you could reverse the servos , but you had to take the back off to do it....I was King of the field ... now thats nothing..I dont even know what all my radios can do but its lots...And they sure didn,t cost anywhere near $ 1000.00 Closer to $400.00 I think . And the ARF's , If you dont have the time or space you can buy some pretty nice looking planes cheaper than I could build them..I happen to like building and I have the time and space so I miss the kits pretty bad but I think we are a dying breed..If you cant scratch build you better find somebody to teach you how or stock pile some kits ...I think we will have kits for a long time , its just our selection is going to get less and less....Pretty soon we will all be flying Tigers or Cubs or something all the same....But regardless its a tradeoff , we have gained some pretty nice stuff . Its Just us old well seasoned flyers rember some of the wonderfull times we had in our younger years with the old Falcon 56 or Headmaster Sport 40 or somthing like it that we can get anymore and we wish we had one back , along with our youth....I notice a lot of new comers that probably would not be here if it were not for this new direction the hobby is taking...Most guys dont have the time or space it takes to build a plane but they can assemble an ARF and feel pretty good it about espially after doing a few upgrades and learning a bit about aerodynamics along the way Well I guess I am off topic arent I..This hasen much to do with Tigers..I was out with my Tiger yesterday and it was so much fun as always...I have another N.I.B. Tiger 60 that I keep thinking about building but if I do that I will need to buy another kit because I dont ever want to be caught without the ability to build another in the event of a major crash.... They are a pretty tough plane and take a pretty good lumping and hanging out with me they get it from time to time But I know that one of these days I will plow the field with it... Still I am gonna fly and have fun till till I do...

Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM
jkr_1100

rcjeff #39

The tiger 60 will balance with a very large engine on the front.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
bikerbc

Yes we have lost a lot of wonderful kits and things from the past but we have gained so much more...I look at our raidos and am amazed at how cheap they are and what they can do...Back about 1982 I had radio custom built and it cost me $1000.00 ( roughly ) and its biggest feature was that you could reverse the servos , but you had to take the back off to do it....I was King of the field ... now thats nothing..I dont even know what all my radios can do but its lots...And they sure didn,t cost anywhere near $ 1000.00 Closer to $400.00 I think . And the ARF's , If you dont have the time or space you can buy some pretty nice looking planes cheaper than I could build them..I happen to like building and I have the time and space so I miss the kits pretty bad but I think we are a dying breed..If you cant scratch build you better find somebody to teach you how or stock pile some kits ...I think we will have kits for a long time , its just our selection is going to get less and less....Pretty soon we will all be flying Tigers or Cubs or something all the same....But regardless its a tradeoff , we have gained some pretty nice stuff . Its Just us old well seasoned flyers rember some of the wonderfull times we had in our younger years with the old Falcon 56 or Headmaster Sport 40 or somthing like it that we can get anymore and we wish we had one back , along with our youth....I notice a lot of new comers that probably would not be here if it were not for this new direction the hobby is taking...Most guys dont have the time or space it takes to build a plane but they can assemble an ARF and feel pretty good it about espially after doing a few upgrades and learning a bit about aerodynamics along the way Well I guess I am off topic arent I..This hasen much to do with Tigers..I was out with my Tiger yesterday and it was so much fun as always...I have another N.I.B. Tiger 60 that I keep thinking about building but if I do that I will need to buy another kit because I dont ever want to be caught without the ability to build another in the event of a major crash.... They are a pretty tough plane and take a pretty good lumping and hanging out with me they get it from time to time But I know that one of these days I will plow the field with it... Still I am gonna fly and have fun till till I do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.