Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BEST IN THE WEST Pilots

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BEST IN THE WEST Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:27 PM
HelixDaKat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST IN THE WEST Pilots

All,

Some more photos.

HelixDaKat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42248.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	259338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57404.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	259339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36149.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	259340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92259.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	259341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn77200.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	259342  
Old 04-17-2005, 02:32 PM
HelixDaKat

All,

More photos (Sat)

HelixDaKat

Name:	Ge96407.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	259344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66958.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	259345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46231.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	259346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28424.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	259347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82249.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	259348  
Old 04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Chris Balling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me give a great big thank you to Mike for running a first class event and another thanks to both Mike and Harley for your assistance in obtaining my turbine waiver. We'll see all of you in St. George. FLY NAVY!

Chris Balling
Old 04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Had a Great time flyin with all you guys !!! Thanks to all the boys that made it happen as well.. TOOOO many to name.. You guys know who you are.. Here are a couple shots of Joe Mac's Starfighter and a couple of shots of the smoke on boys compliments of Jason,.

See ya at the next one..

It was even nice to see that HANGAR QUEEN BD-5 finally get in the air.. Bet Bet PIG wasn't upset!!!!!!

DA

Name:	If10794.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	259393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99125.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	259394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89087.jpg
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	259395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63527.jpg
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	259396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31642.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	259397  
Old 04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

I did not know TAM had his own line of PROPANE??

Name:	Xv63560.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	259404  
Old 04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

I had a great time at Best in the West. Thanks to all of the guys who put the show together. Unfortuately I had so much fun I forgot my 10X and left it behind at the field. I also ran out of gas on the way home. Man you guys know how to put to put on a first class show. Who do I contact to see if someone picked it up a 10X? Still recovering from the weekend.

Sung
Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Sung you also left iyour 10x on and shot down a KingKat on same channel bendover
Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 PM
col_tomb
My Feedback: (9)

Yes, Sung Bend over. Lord forbidden if I'm in the air the same time with you. You won't get away.
Cumlikecloud
Old 04-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

jettset99 and col_tomb, come on down to my neck of the woods and next week and lets get it on. It won't be the first f86 going down and I think the BD will be easy to shoot up.

Sung
Old 04-17-2005, 11:43 PM
col_tomb
My Feedback: (9)

Yes NOCAN'TLAND.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

BITW is awesome! I left home on Wednesday and returned a couple of hours ago. I would have stayed longer if I could!

First to all of the people that put the show on, Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in, it payed off with a top notch Rally. It truly is the "Premier West Coast Rally!" Free drinks and snacks for pilots and crew all weekend long... that is high class.

It seemed like there was 4-5 planes in the air at all times. I believe there were more than 70 pilots registered and who knows how many planes.

There were a few Big Yellow F-18s at the show which was a treat for me. I finally got to see other F-18s in person and watch them fly. All three were beautiful. Joe the gear just killed me!

Dave's plane was awesome! I am sorry for his loss, but I'm sure he will back up and running in no time. I could not believe how fast his plane was and how well it performed. I almost lost a big sum of money to him because I was sure it was a twin. I could not believe it was a single Artes Rhino that was doing all of that pushing. Very impressive! Sure am glad we didn't shake on that bet... He won a few $5 bets through out the rally and I just gave him a few 5 dollar bills because he.....................won, your the man bro.

Shaun it was fun and I had a lot of fun tearing it up with the F-15s. There is nothing better than a couple of scale birds chasing each other around the sky! I am glad the maiden went well with the A-4. That is such a cool plane. I think I will have to build one in the near future. I think you and Doug-E are going to have to "fly together" to see which is faster. I was very impressed with how fast the thing was, I don't know Doug he might get you... wait you both have the same motors.

We were pitted next to Team Artes and I got a chance to meet Eric. What a friendly and helpful guy! We were having trouble with our initial set up on a friends Super Bee (unfamiliar) late in the day. We received a call from Eric checking to see what the problem was and Felipe from the Artes factory was there first thing in the morning to help us out. Everything went well and Shaun was soon tearing it up with the A-4. Thanks to the Artes guys for sharing spaces with us and for the great support! We will see you guys again soon!

John Redman as usual, class act. I will be in touch.

Paul Reese, You are the man! Can't wait to see your video of the rally! I wonder why my wife noticed she didn't see you the day she was there... HAS to be the editing on the F-18 Twin maiden video...[sm=surprised.gif] See you next time buddy!

Everyone else, I had a great time! Can't wait to fly with you all again!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:36 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Sung,

They said there was a 10X left at the field but they thought it belonged to John Christensen, I think Gary (president) has it now?
Old 04-18-2005, 03:40 AM
AirPac Models

Pictures for Sunday

Name:	Om34373.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	259639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49793.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	259640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29857.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	259641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29810.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	259642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82844.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	259643  
Old 04-18-2005, 03:42 AM
AirPac Models

pictures

Name:	Rp42774.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	259644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76042.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	259645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24828.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	259646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33888.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	259647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21729.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	259648  
Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Hi Guys

Anybody know what happened to this beautiful Yellow F18 other then the obvious that it crashed????

Ian

Name:	Ki18679.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	259703  
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

Hi Guys

Anybody know what happened to this beautiful Yellow F18 other then the obvious that it crashed????

Ian

Ian, that plane in the picture was a Skymaster. I heard that it went into fail safe, but dont quote me.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, how was the performance and handling of the new Tams F-16?? Also was that Joe McBrides red F-104??
Thanks,
V..
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Dave Presta

Vin,
We flew Tams F-16 no less then 50 flights since wednsday. There were so many people who flew the plane, you will be able to get plenty of feedback. Incredible everyday funscale inexpensive flyer that is very strong and amazingly stable on point rolls and lands like an absolute baby. Takeoffs are easy unless DUK DUK DUK has the radio for the first time, but he did prove that the off-road capability was outstanding. I will let others give their oppinion, I am in a training class in Atlanta right now surrounded by Yuppies and cant really expand until lunch when they will all leave me the hell alone and let me talk to my Jet buddies.
I will post more then,

Dave
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Also was that Joe McBrides red F-104??
Thanks,
V..
Yeah Vin, I pulled her out of the mothballs on Sunday and dropped a borrowed P120 in her (you gotta love the "modular" nature of the jetcat--it took 7.5 minutes to pull it from a hotspot and drop it in my starfighter). She flew even better than I remember!

Joe
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good Joe, its one of my fav jets. I have built (3) of the Avonds/Aeroloft kits and wouldn`t mind having another!!
Ditto on the jetcat motor swap.

Dave, thanks for the Tams F-16 report. One of my flying buds is interested in one for his wren 54.

V..
Old 04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Dave Presta

Gotta great pic of Smokin Joe next to his F-104, but unfortunatley my camera is back in Cali. I will post some pictures when I get back on thursday. Joe, you the man.....too bad you, DUK DUK DUK, and Terry were pitted so far away. As always it was great flying with you guy's and thanks for letting me join the smoke party.
Mike, great job with your crew for putting on this event.....even better job selecting Ali's outfits to wear for us out in the hot sun!!! It was great to finally meet you and I enjoyed this show greatly. You and your team really focused on catering this event to the Pilots,intstead of worrying about making money. The west coast crowd of Jet pilots are notorious for getting along and having the most fun, and flying more then anyone, and this event allowed all that to intensify....and I thank you for that.
Thanks again to everyone involved, It was worth being there since wednsday.
Dave
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
dcairns

I was there Saturday with my 3 nephews, and was very disappointed at that lack of spectator accommodations. The unbroken wall of ez-up tents for the pilots blocked the view for spectators, especially the kids. We were only able to see the runway by going to the far right of the field and stand between cars in the parking lot, while getting showered with dust from passing cars. And even then we could just see the first 20-40 feet of the runway activity, and could no longer hear the announcer.
I realize the need for shade for the pilots, available paved pit area, and safety concerns shaped the way things were, but I was still think it could have been done better for spectators.

Here is the spectator viewpoint...

I think there are some jets out there, somewhere...

Here is the "better" view from beyond the end of the runway
Old 04-18-2005, 12:16 PM
MLaCoste
My Feedback: (15)

Got home last night from one of the best events I've ever been to!

Mike and crew went way above and beyond the call to put on an amazing event. Sam did a great job setting the tone for the event with his exceptional announcing. You guys have set the bar so high that it makes it tough for the rest of us that put on jet events to compete. My guys and I will definitely be back next year!

It was great to put a face to a name for so many of you guys and girls. Too many to list.......

Mike, Allie & Duff, it was gret to meet you all Thursday night at the sports bar. We have to do it again next year!

Sam Wright, thanks for the warm welcome and generous barbeque Friday night. High class, great job!

To Tam & the crew.........you guys are AWESOME! My week would not have come together if not for all of you. Tam, you are the Daddy! Without you, "Mawk no fly!" Dave, thanks for maidening the ViperJet (without your F-18's 8411's she'd have never left the ground), pumping me up during my flights, & taking my money (lost bets [&o].....YOU DA MAN! ). John, thanks for you help too. Very smart guy with a lot of great info. Thanks for bringing me into your group, we're going to have a lot of fun at all the events this year!!!

At one point we had all four ViperJets in the air at the same time getting it on........what a blast! Smoke On!

Kenny, great to see you again bro! The F-15 looks great, and is an awesome flyer. It was great to see Jill and the kids too. Talk to you soon.

Larry, congrats on all the great flights with your Rookie. No stress, bro, you're a natural!

Shaun Evans, it was great to finally meet you, sorry for your loss with the new F-15 [&o]. I'm sure Kenny will have her back in the air for you in no time! Great job on the National Anthem Saturday!

As for Tam's new F-16.......The waiting list starts behind me! We flew the hell out of that little bird. The only time it wasn't in the air was while the batteries were being charged. She had no less than 50 sorties between Wednesday and Sunday. We all took turns at the sticks........when we weren't hot fueling her. Tam and Dave kept us in stitches every time the F-16 taxied back...."Hot fuel!, Mo Hot fuel".

I can also attest to her maneuverability, since the owner of an F-86 (forgot his name, sorry) and I put on a nice little dog fight Sunday morning.....he thought Tam was flying and decided to mix it up with his buddy. My initial reaction was "Hey, what's is this guy doing, I can't shake him???" Tam says to me, "he like play..... *** you doing, you go get him!" so I light her up and it's game on! We mix it up a little, and before you know it, he has to land the F-86.... What a blast!!! Can't wait to have my own.

This bird is a perfect Saturday morning sport flyer. It's designed around a P-60 class engine, and can easily fit in the back of your truck, fully assembled for some fun. I found NO bad characteristics, everything about it was very predictable. Tam says that, when availeable, it will come in three different schemes out of the molds; Thunderbirds, Edwards test scheme, and General Dynamics prototype. Stay Tuned.........

On a personal note, I'd like to thank my friends Todd Pearson & Mike Hall. Without both of you "crewing" my jet, the weekend wouldn't have been so much fun! I owe you both, big time!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

dcairns,

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry you didn't get a better view of the action. I'm sure the event organizers appreciate hearing this kind of critique. There must be some sort of mobile bleachers (on a flatbed?) that can be rented to give a better vantage point to the spectators--especially the little ones you referred to.

Next year we'll send Tam out to survey the spectator view. That way we'll get a feel for the view the toddlers have.

Joe
Old 04-18-2005, 01:04 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vinny, we missed you and team AZ...and your NJ counterpart. Was really looking forward to having you guys there...along with Joe B's fine lense work. Next year?

I want to personally thank all the pilots who came out and made this year's event the best ever. Best in the West is and always will be about the pilots. We try to provide a fantastic event for spectators (post above noted and steps will be taken to rectify)...but YOU are the reason we do it the way we do. How big can this get? I think we're going to find out.
Mike does an outstanding job orchestrating this event...and has assembled a top-notch team and unparalleled sponsor list to pull it off. Gary Cummings, Jim Caspio and the crew from the Pomona Valley Model Airplane club work tirelessly up to, and all though the event, making sure that everything is just right at the field with their incredible field and lot management...fantastic job guys. The entire site was absolutely beautiful. The CRCJA guys...Duff Waldron, Mike Stone...if not for you...it would be just a jet together...not the West's premier event that it is.

Sam Wright...what a fantastic guy. He provides so much entertainment throughout...it wouldn't be BITW without him. What a class gesture with the hangar party on Friday night. I sincerely hope we're blessed with his participation for...well...forever!

DJ Clayton and Apple's iTunes...yeeeeuh boyeeee. Thanks for your hard work dude! You were the soundtrack to BITW 05!

To the sponsors, your support is what allows BITW to happen. I hope everyone gives them the support and business that they deserve. (find links to their websites at BestintheWestJets.com)
Man, I sure wish I had ownership of the usage rights of the JR logo :-)

Ron Werner, thanks for the awesome steak dinner...what a gracious host you were. We need to get Airpak to to make you a blue tank top though.

The crew from Airpack wins for most well-branded team. The blue shirts worked for me. Duke and Jill are in my book as some of the nicest, humble people I've ever had the opportunity to meet.
And Jill takes some mean pictures. Thanks for not only making the trip...but bringing the whole team. And thanks Jill for the tireless posting of pics for all to enjoy here.

Allie...thanks for making the trip from Champaign with Mike. Your wit and charming personality mad getting to spend time with you a pleasure. The additional eye candy at Best in the West didn't hurt either :-)
You go girl. Hope you enjoyed your week in SoCal...especially Mike's home town...yeah, it's kinda nice down here.

Shaun Evans, awesome job on the National Anthem. Shaun brought some talented vocalists, who along with himself, provided a refreshing and inspiring rendition of our nation's theme song on Saturday.
Awesome flying with the Y/A F-15. Sorry I didn't get to see the "scooter" fly. I'm sure it was awesome.

Kenneth Falconer. You are the man! You tore it up and everyone loved it. Sorry I missed seeing your wife and newest little one. Next CA Jr. Tour golf event my son has in Bakersfield, we're stayin' with you...so we'll rectify that then! :-)

Joe McBrizzle, It was great meeting your wife and precious daughter. It is so fantastic to see the other devotion in our some of our favorite jet guy's lives.

Which brings me to my son Corey. Thanks for taking time out of your busy golf schedule to hang with dad at BITW. It wouldn't be the same without you there with me. Love ya buddy.

All the hotshot pilots...Dave Presta, DFresh, Buck, McB...well, I better stop now or this could go on forever...Love your show!! Especially the 5 or 6 jet !QUOT!Smoke On Spectacular!QUOT! on Sat. Wow!

Always good to see the Taminator. Supa Honet and F-16 are fantastic. Love the new trailer.

Jet Hangar Hobbies crew. Fantastic twin EDF F-14. Fast and stable...swingin' wings...awesome molding and finish detail...and piloting. Congrats...you got a hot one there.

All those who suffered full or partial air frame losses...(Dave P, Barry M, Sung K., Shaun E...there were others) we truly feel your pain, but know that you know...that it comes with the territory. We look forward to your return with "fresh meat" next year.

Congrats to David Soufer, who cleaned up the awards with the F-100's. Beautiful stuff. (Mike's wrap up will list all award recipients)

I shot about 5 hours o' footage that will be edited into 20 min. or so. I'll keep you posted on when it will appear at bestinthewestjets.com (month or so).
I know that Cliffcloff shot some great stuff with his nice XL1s and lenses setup and will produce one of his fine videos in his edgy style (you may recall his well received LA Jets video). Nice meeting you.
Also look for Propwash's video of the event, which I'm sure will be fantastic, as anytime something great was happening, a Propwash camera was rolling.
I'll be updating Bestinthewestjets.com soon with pics and such. Feel free to send me any shots that you have taken to be included. If you have a web album from the event, I'll link to it in the photo section.

Well I better leave something for CD Mike Sieniarecki to talk about in his wrap up on his return to Illinois. Great job bro. See you in the fall.

Thanks again everyone,

Paul Reese

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.