Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Knight Hauler build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
[]TEX[]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knight Hauler and Box Trailer build thread

Uploading a short video now. More to come!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:56 PM
[]TEX[]

Short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDY2qtQbYI
Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 AM
ludacris

nice
Old 08-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For sure, if I get the semi, I'd need the whole kit... the MFU, LED lights, etc, etc.!!

ORIGINAL: TamiyaExperienced

Short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDY2qtQbYI
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
[]TEX[]

Well the weather broke and I was able to get the rig out for some good run time.

I shot a short video as well. I get some other more specific videos later.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1113713752

Let me know if the link doesn't work...
Old 08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Lunchboxer

That is SICK!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for an Aeromax!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:03 AM
R/C fan-addict

does the MFU include lights or do you need to buy the tractor light kit as well? Also can the tractor light kit be operated remotely without the MFU? For the wheels you said you can use the original plastic wheels on the inside and the new aluminum wheels on the outside thereby halving the number of rear aluminum wheels needed? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get the 1838LS for xmas and I want to know as much about these semis as possible!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

does the MFU include lights or do you need to buy the tractor light kit as well? Also can the tractor light kit be operated remotely without the MFU? For the wheels you said you can use the original plastic wheels on the inside and the new aluminum wheels on the outside thereby halving the number of rear aluminum wheels needed? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get the 1838LS for xmas and I want to know as much about these semis as possible!
Yes the MFU comes with all the lights required. It is a universal kit for all the tractors. The MFU serves as the control unit, sound unit, light unit and ESC. The light kit can not be used without the MFU, but the lights are remotely controled on the Tx. There are three levels of lighting; AUX/MAIN/HIGH BEAM. I will also add that the head lights(MAIN) mimic a HID system. If you watch the video, when the headlamps are turned on, they pulse until they reach full brightness(about 5 seconds).

If you purchase a trailer, there is a light kit for that too.

The aluminum wheels are only for the outter wheel. Tamiya does not offer an aluminum inner wheel. It's really not necessary since the wheels are for looks only. You will use the supplied plastic inner wheel from the kit. The aluminum wheels also come with their own set of tires. There are some after market wheels available in different styles and they do come with an aluminum inner wheel.

The 1838LS is a great kit, they all are. You will not be dissapointed. I have the lighting/MFU installation diagrams for all the tractors. If you would like to see the layout of the 1838LS let me know.

Ask as many questions as you need to. that is what the thread is for.

Matt
Old 08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

That is SICK!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for an Aeromax!!
.......and I want you to get the Aeromax!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Lunchboxer

Matt,

Can you explain more about the HID setup?? Is it something that you did extra or it is part of the kit?? (you said you also "added" that head lights)

ORIGINAL: TamiyaExperienced
Yes the MFU comes with all the lights required. It is a universal kit for all the tractors. The MFU serves as the control unit, sound unit, light unit and ESC. The light kit can not be used without the MFU, but the lights are remotely controled on the Tx. There are three levels of lighting; AUX/MAIN/HIGH BEAM. I will also add that the head lights(MAIN) mimic a HID system. If you watch the video, when the headlamps are turned on, they pulse until they reach full brightness(about 5 seconds).
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 PM
IrnGynt

I spray painted the body and trailer panels with auto paint from the local autoparts store. I painted about 6 coats of base coat and 3 coats of clear coat. The clear coats wasn't so great and probably could've gotten a better shine from a model paint clear coat.
Get some floor wax from the grocery store (Future for example) and put some thick coats on it. 3 or 4 should do the trick letting them dry in between. You can buff it to an amazing shine.

Awesome rig by the way. I have to try one after the f-350. I hope the f-350's mfu is half as cool as the rig's.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Matt,

Can you explain more about the HID setup?? Is it something that you did extra or it is part of the kit?? (you said you also "added" that head lights)
It is a a simulated HID light. I didn't add anything. I changed the wiring order so that the lights would operate more realistically.

Tamiya has the high beams on first, then the floods and then the headlights. I changed the order so that the floods(bumper) go on first, then the headlamps, then high beams in that order. It is not automatic, but it is in a 1-2-3 order in relation to stick movement.

When the headlights are turned on they simulate the the slow brightening of Xenon/HID lights. Althoug it is not exact, it is close. They are LED's and very bright.

Is that what you were asking?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah.. thanks.. I was just wondering if I needed to get something extra from the aftermarket...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: IrnGynt

I spray painted the body and trailer panels with auto paint from the local autoparts store. I painted about 6 coats of base coat and 3 coats of clear coat. The clear coats wasn't so great and probably could've gotten a better shine from a model paint clear coat.
Get some floor wax from the grocery store (Future for example) and put some thick coats on it. 3 or 4 should do the trick letting them dry in between. You can buff it to an amazing shine.

Awesome rig by the way. I have to try one after the f-350. I hope the f-350's mfu is half as cool as the rig's.
Thanks! I have also heard that regular auto wax works well too.

When you get the 350, please do a write up about it. There are a few of us that are on the fence in reguards to buying the 350.

Matt
Old 09-02-2006, 07:26 AM
rywil

WOW...........Great job Matt!! Tamiya's the best!! I think i want the 350............... is tower's price right $420[]

I can't believe the sound in that video...........AWESOME!!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM
rywil

Your pic has been featured on the home page of the RCU site......................Good work!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
-Inverted-

If anybody here has this months RC DRIVER there is a very interesting article on a king hauler converted to a drag racer.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Lunchboxer

Where at?!

ORIGINAL: rywil

Your pic has been featured on the home page of the RCU site......................Good work!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Lunchboxer

Say what?! A dragster semi?!!??!?! That I got to see!! Someone who has the magazine needs to scan that...

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

If anybody here has this months RC DRIVER there is a very interesting article on a king hauler converted to a drag racer.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 PM

lol that sounds cool...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM
-Inverted-

Say what?! A dragster semi?!!??!?! That I got to see!! Someone who has the magazine needs to scan that...
Im serious that thing is BADASS. Ill see if I can get my scanner over here, I get the magazine every month (free ). The paintjob is sick, and even though the brushless system isn't insane (novak ss5800) I bet you could throw a nice sensorless and have a hell of a good time with it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 PM
-Inverted-

Alright guys, my scanner is over at the other house so instead of making anybody wait I snapped a few pics. Be advised my camera isn't that great (only a 3 megapixel) and doesn't do the truck justice.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Lunchboxer

That is WILD... are they using the 3-speed tranny at all?!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
[]TEX[]

That's pretty crazy, only thing is it's more of a cusom truck than anything else. Just used a few parts from a rig. Just like taking the axels off of a clodbuster or TLT and making a rock crawler. Not much of a Clobuster/TLT anymore. I don;t think it resembles a King Hauler at all. I wonder it he modified the tranny at all. Does it say anything about that?

I can understand why. The frame rails on the stock rigs are very flexible. If you put wieght in the trailer, the tractor will flex up just like the real ones. It's pretty neat, I was messing around with it the other day with two 2 liter bottles filled with water in the box trailer on carpet.

Rywill,

Ya, thanks!! I submitted it last week and they posted it up.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Lunchboxer

But the frame rails are make of metal, though, right?? I am surprised that it is that flexy..

I wonder if it is the same for the new F-350...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.