Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

The CPP is up to $70 now, so it's looking up, for sure...

That is correct, the main shafts and flybars come in sets of two...

The see saws don't actually break, I think it's more like the threads pull out in a crash...from what I am reading on it.

Yeah, he had a pretty good bladestrike. They tell me the blades are very tough, made of some kind of very flexible plastic, which sounds good to me. One guy said his lasted through 3 crashes before they broke.

I just got done with the B400 motor install, very easy to do...no sweat. Later on, I'm gonna try to take the motor apart and see if it's feasable to replace the bearings. That would be very cool if I can get that done. Save $$ on motors...

Yeah, it seems that these brushless motors are far from maintenance/trouble free, although it sure is better than brushed motors...so I am not complaining!

Yup, the nitro fuel is going up, but I think they might be exaggerating somewhat, I saw some at my LHS for about $28 a gallon, which to me doesn't seem too bad. A gallon lasts a pretty long time. For me, it's just the horrible oily mess on the model after a day's flying that I don't like. I actually love the way the exhaust smells!

Cool on the new parts on their way!

I am hoping for some calm winds tonight, so far it's not looking too bad. The later I wait, the more the wind dies down (usually).

I am going to take the Quark along, to fly between battery packs. The CPP can sit there on the shelf and collect dust. The next thing I am going to do to it is rob the gyro and maybe the AR6100 out of it....LOL

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear the CPP is going up in price.

That is cool on the plastic blades for the Gaui 200.

I have read a lot that any size of electric motors without brushes, the only thing you have to worry about are the bearings. Then if you go over the maxium temp rating then there are other issues.

I think the posts I was reading from was a year ago. It was something about NHRA and some sort of Nitro shortage that increased the costs.

The only Nitros I have been around are airplanes. But I wasn't close to the one I flown and didn't own it. But airplane fuel uses less oil than helicopter fuel. So I can't compare them.

Have fun with the B400 and Quark.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 07:16 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

yeah im not rushing the cp pro anymore, im taking my time to set it up and learn how to fly it, all I get is broken parts when I rush things with it. I got 50 bucks tonight from my parent inlaws so thats some money towards a new heli lol long way to go
Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM
evdreamer

It is cool that you got some money for your Birthday. I used to do the same thing, rushing things that I am not ready for. Then I went back to the basics. I think that is the most important thing a beginner can do even if it is boring. I use those skills with everything I do. I think learning the four upright hover positions and doing circles and figure 8's help a lot. Then anything that I have wanted to do so far uses part of each of those. And getting a lot of time to fly will go a long ways too and using the sim helps out a lot.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just got time to look at ReadyHeli and it has every part for my T-Rex in the parts page. I have been looking for a long time to find a company that had that. All the places I look at only have a partial list of the parts on the T-Rex. Thank you for talking about the company.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, that sounds like a plan, just get back to basics and don't try to rush things. Everytime you crash, and have to wait on parts is time missed that you could be practicing. I know it's easier said than done, but try to avoid crashes at all cost, because it takes away from your practice time....even if it means making less progress each time you fly.

Cool that you got some cash, but yeah, unfortunately, $50 doesn't go very far in this hobby...lol

Did you add the extra flybar weights yet, or are you going to just wait for the motor to arrive? I think you should add another weight to each side, get the flat bottom blades, and the motor, and see how you do. Those things all together and taking your time, not rushing, should help alot...

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Good advice. That is precisely what I did tonight. I flew 6 battery packs, and mostly just did the very basic stuff, hovering at all angles, some figure 8's, some slow turns, a little bit of backwards fllight, etc. By the end of the 6th pack, I felt more confident than I ever have about hovering in all possible postions, even the ones between nose and side in hovering. I also am beginning to realize more and more the importance of using the elevator to control the heli in turns...

The CPP is still stuck at $69 with about 45 minutes to go....

I didn't fly the Quark, it was too windy. When the wind did die down, it was too dark. That is the ONLY thing that I am having second thoughts on the Gaui...not being able to fly in the wind, like the Quark...

I now have 6 battery packs to charge, and one charger...hmmm gonna take a while!! LOL

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I am starting to get better at the circles. Then since a circle is part of the funnel move I thought I would try one. It was more of a flat funnel, but my last try it started to look more like it should. I got some video of it too. I read someone else films themself when they fly to see where they mess up at and how to fix it. I am paying more attention to not crashing which almost happened twice, so looking at the video should help me understand what is going on better.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah hovering in the different positions is really helping out with the backward figure 8's. When I get in a bad spot I think real fast at what that hover position would be like and how to correct it. Then with time it just becomes muscle memory. Yeah I use the elevator all the time in my figure 8's and circles. It really helps when I get too close to something then I will add a lot of elevator to get away from it. Then the "Whooosh" sound appears.

Sorry to hear you couldn't fly the Quark. Today I couldn't fly anything smaller than a 450 with the wind. Someone was talking about night flying and that we are missing the best no wind conditions. It is kind of expensive to make the helicopter visible at night. I would be more worried about running into something than not seeing the helicopter.

Yeah that would take a while to charge the batteries.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, my slow circles that I am trying so hard to get down are getting easier. I realize now what I was doing wrong, and am working on it. Before, I would lose control because instead of keeping the heli level with aileron and elevator, I was treating it like a banked turn, and the heli would just turn into the ground. I still have that tendancy when turning to the left, but I have figured it out to the right...

You are more than welcome for the Readyhobby tip. They seem like they really have their stuff together. The only issue is that the servos I need to order won't come up...it's like the webpage is missing or something. So I may get my servos from Heli Direct, they have all four that I need for the Gaui. I have had good luck with them in the past. I am anxious to order the Gaui, but I realize that it won't get here any earlier whether I order it tonight or tomorrow....LOL

I'll be like a kid at Christmas time when it gets here! Kinda like you were when the T-Rex came.

Hopefully, some more people will bid on the CPP. I would like to get more than $70 for it. But, hey, if that's all I get, it's all good. It will still just about pay for the servos anyways.

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It is cool that you are getting the circles down. I still have a ways to go. Mine look more like ovals than circles.

I didn't realize you were going to get the Gaui 200 soon. That is cool let us know how the build and flying with it goes.

That $70 is a lot better than the $10 that the CPP was.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, some of my circles end up being pretty ugly in the end, but they are getting better.

I will definately keep you posted on the Gaui, and may even have some questions as well. I just picked up a little tidbit from the HF forum, they say to CA or epoxy the tail case bearings in place. I guess they might spin in the case. I am going to need all the tips I can get!!

I think I'll try to take the B400 motor apart later. It flew like a champ with the new motor. It seems a little quieter and smoother. That one bearing was pretty bad. I'm glad I caught it, rather than have a gear mesh issue mid-flight, and a crash.

I need to start charging packs! I guess I have all day tomorrow to finish them before tomorrow night.

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
rotarydoc

And the high bidder is....$86.00

Oh well, that is close to what I wanted, I had a buy it now for $99.

Not bad for a one day listing, on a holiday weekend!

Guy got a pretty good deal though...

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Cool you got most of what you asked for the CPP.

Yeah the T-Rex manual also stated to use green loc-tite on the outside of the bearings that go into the aluminum bearing blocks. They already came assembled in the bearing blocks so I never got to try it out. Then finless uses shoe goop on the outside of bearings that are held in by plastic frames.

Good to hear the B400 is flying like new.

I am charging my last two packs right now. One is almost done and the other I just put on.

I am going to look at the Gaui thread on Helifreak about the 550's. I think the 500-550 size would be perfect for flying at the baseball field. I read one of the reviews of the Gaui 200 on Readyheli and they said it handled wind all right. And one person said it had more power than their T-Rex 450 SE.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, someday I am going to want a big heli...I looked into a Hirobo Lepton, and man is that expensive! They had a combo pack for like $1200, with like one battery pack, and the batteries they listed for it were $275 EACH !!

I guess when I look at what I have tied up in B400's, CPP's, and coaxial/fixed pitch helis, I could have had a Lepton by now...

Maybe some day I'll sell everything, and just have one big helicopter. Probably would be electric though, I don't know about another nitro heli. I would not totally rule it out, but I would have to think twice.

I just started charging pack #1 of 6....I'm gonna be here a while...LOL

I had to hook my battery charger up to the Miata battery that I use for a power supply, otherwise, it would go dead halfway through.

Well, I guess JPEE will have his Quark soon, Monday probably. I told him in an email to be careful in grass. I have broken three rotor blades just softly landing in the tall grass at the baseball field. It takes some getting used to a fixed pitch heli, it tends to lose altitude in forward flight much more so than my B400 does. It is probably also a bit underpowered for outdoors. That is one problem I don't think I will have to worry about with the Gaui !! Even those things aside, it's a blast to fly around!

I was working very hard earlier to fix my "death grip" on the radio when I fly. I think that is the reason my thumb area gets fatigued after flying, I tense up on the radio too much. I guess I will become more relaxed with time. I still am not totally comfortable with the B400 as I am say, the CPP or Quark.

I may try to take that motor apart here in a bit, and see how that goes. I'll let you know.

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 11:53 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I would like a 500-550, but right now I don't have the funds. Maybe by the time I sell some more stuff and slowly save up I can get one. But I was checking the battery prices for the T-Rex 500 and it was around $150 for a decent amount of flight time. The the 600's are in the $270-300 range. I would probably build one pack of A123 cells and charge it in 15 minutes.

My last battery is almost done charging, but I only have 3 right now with the fourth coming. And my charger can charge two batteries at a time, but only at 1.3A each.

I assume since you are using the Miata battery you haven't gotten your power supply back from horizon.

I think the people on the struggling with single rotors were talking about how fixed pitches lose altitude in foward flight.

I used to have my thumbs down tight against the sticks on the CPP. And those are pointed at the top so that hurt a little. But I just filed them down.

I was watching some more of finless build videos and there is a lot of stuff I didn't know to look for when building a helicopter. And it is interesting to see what kind of parts are in each helicopter, how they work, and if they are good or bad designs.

Nick
Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 AM
HeliStyle

evdreamer, do you know if the e-flite 3 cell lipos will work in the esky honeybee king 2?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:47 AM
rotarydoc

Heli,

My CPP went for $86 on eBay last night. That's pretty good actually, since I only did a one day auction, and it was on a holiday weekend. I am shipping it out tomorrow. I don't think I am going to miss it very much.

I am going to rob the gyro and the Spektrum receiver out of my original one, and use it in the Gaui. I will probably come back to it once the direct drive tail that's coming out with the CPP 2 is available, maybe later this month. We'll see. But I think it's going to collect some dust in the next few weeks, for sure.

I hope you have a better time when you do the motor, blades, and flybar weights, it all 3 of those should help alot. And just practice, and get it up out of the ground effect if possible, it's much easier to hover a couple of feet off the ground.

Any idea when your motor arrives?

Glenn
Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM
HeliStyle

motor will be in this week for sure, so hopefully it will help out alittle
Old 07-06-2008, 01:22 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

evdreamer, do you know if the e-flite 3 cell lipos will work in the esky honeybee king 2?
It would, but I don't know how long the flight times will be. I think the stock battery is in the 1200mAh range. I considered a HBK2, but after all the upgrading needed for it, I didn't think it was right for me.

Nick
Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM
HeliStyle

yeah the stock esky battery for the honeybee is 1000mah
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM
HeliStyle

hey anyone know of this belt conversion kit for the cp pro,

3dx HDX300 CNC S. Frame and Belt Conversion Kit CP cp2

it looks nice and is like 60 bucks shipped
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
evdreamer

I have seen it, but never used it.

Nick
Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
HeliStyle

do you know anything about it?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:06 PM
evdreamer

Are you talking about this one 10 products down http://helihobby.com/html/upgrades_blade_cp.html ?

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.