Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 AM
michou41a
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Big Stick kit; 106" wingspan for 50cc to 85cc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41222.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1167699  
Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
michou41a
My Feedback: (18)

For the Monster size Stick; 144" wingspan, 120" fuselage lenght, for 100 to 150cc engine or Moki150cc radial engine

Name:	Vt58534.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1167704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47212.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1167705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19752.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1167706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91805.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1167707  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a new kit of the LongEZ with CNC cut wings.[link=http://www.boxerrcmodels.com/]Boxer Models LongEZ[/link]
Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Closterman

www.mraerodesign.com

Beaver ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOIOwa5uDU )

Cap 10 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVodVGj9IM )

PC-6 Turbo Porter ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui83Z...e=channel_page )

Canadair CL-415

Turbo Beaver comming soon.....
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
mjepps72

I've been hitting up ebay and picking up quite a few of the Guillows, Sig and Top Flite older kits for half the price lately. In a matter of two months I have about 20 kits on standby.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrote to Stoddard Hamilton when I saw my first picture of their Glassair on a magazine cover. I requested a 3 view. They sent me that and a blueprint of the entire wing panel.
I drew up my plans from what they had sent me and then built the plane. It flew right off the board.

Name:	Ig13803.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1194310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22559.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1194311  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm collecting kits because the day is coming when Balsa won't be on the earth and I'll have a blast flying BALSA planes
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
DSTIEBS

Did you know that there is plastics that are as light as Balsa and builds like Balsa and stronger than Balsa and at my age I will never run out of Balsa.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
tailskid

But does it smell like Balsa? I love the smell when you open a new kit
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
DSTIEBS

Got me There!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

nice bridi , the rear tailplane looks too low , but its the design i guess. on the 106 span , how did you do that ? just added ribs and spars?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Erik Steinbring

I was at Top Gun this past week and this exact topic came up. However, the real question was were are all the builders?

We sat in our booth for 5 days and one could instantly tell who was a builder, knew exactly what they were looking at and what to do with it. As for most of the new generation of RC guys...........most looked lost.

When I was growing up, (when ARFs were just coming available) we kit built, crashed, rebuilt and flew again. There were only a couple times that we torched them on the spot. Seems now days folks are too quick to toss them and buy a new one. I haven't figured out the logic yet, all it takes is balsa, adhesive, covering and a few hours time.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:08 AM
abufletcher

Where have all the kits gone? Well...Aerowoof's got'em all!

But seriously, I've gotten to that point in my scale building (and that's the only kind of building I'm really interested in) that there probably aren't more than a few dozen kits worldwide that I would actually want to build. And some of the great scale kits, for example, the Proctor Albatros, I wouldn't want to build simply because I don't love the subject aircraft enough to do the kit justice.

More and more I'm leaning towards scratch-building anyway. But I do hope we can continue to find balsa for at least a couple of decades to come. The thought building WWI models from dupron or corroplast turns my stomach!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM
chrispare

<div>if one was wondering where to get a big kit for building(like 30% in size)
where would one look?
who makes kits to build that big?
what im looking for is a 3d plane</div><div>
thanks for any ideas and input.</div><! / message >
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
tailskid

AeroWorks I think makes kits as well as ARF's....
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Have any of you folks thought about getting the plans of a plane you like and having either a short kit or the full kit cut by a kit cutter?. If not give it some thought. I have a Stinson SR10 and a Cessna 195 both from Hostetler plans. Ihad the Cessna cut by Cornell Michaels and it is a hand cut kit. Michael did a really really nice job of cutting the Cessna. I'm just about ready to start the build of this 25% model. It will be as scale as my skills will allow. I will be consulting Glenn Mcintosh for many many of the scale details as he is building the same kit and his is a real work of love and skill.
I picked up a pre-cut (lazer cut) kit of the Stinson from PKC. It is just O.K. as far as the cutting goes. Many parts were (smaller) broken upon arrivel. But the thing that made me upset with PKC was the fact that some of the wing ribs were cut to short in relation to the plans. I think that this was caused by the person who input the data to the computer that tells the lazer how to cut the parts. I'm now having Michael cut a new set of wing ribs for it by hand.

Some of you may have the tools and skills to cut the entire kit yourself. I have the skills but not the equipment, so that is why I'm having Micheal cut it for me. I would like to caution you about having a kit cut by someone who does it by hand. Do not expect it to be cut in one day. It takes time to do the job right. And if you order a kit to be cut think about how many kits the guy may have ahead of yours to cut when you order. But if you are willing to wait and let the cutter take his time to do a good job then you will have a very good kit to build.

Having a kit cut by someone is not all that more expensive then buying one off the shelf already cut. And you have the benifit of getting a model of something you really want to build and fly.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

socalsal, what did the kit cost you as cut from micheal? does he have a web sight or email. i have a set of plans for a hughes 1/5 h-1 racer i need cut. thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
SoCalSal

The Cessna cost $425.00 for the full kit. That is also what PCK charged me for the SR10. But I'm going to have to spend a bit more on the SR10 so Michael can fix the defects of PCK's kit cutter made. Larry at PCK sends most all of his stuff to an outside lazer cutter. This I feel makes it very very hard for Larry to control the quailty of his kits. His kits are O.K. IMO at best. I still like a hand cut kit as the person cutting it most tiimes has much better control cutting the parts to spec's. To me it is worth the wait to get this quailty. But if your in a big rush to get a kit cut for yourself then you better not have someone cut it by hand.

[email protected]

http://www.kitcutter.com/cut/www.kit...com/index.html
Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

They're still out there....

Carl Goldberg, Sig, Great Planes...are some of the best.

I'll take a kit over an ARF any day of the week. Even though with a tight schedule it might take me a year to build, they always turn out better than ARFs and it's more satisfying. Plus it keeps me outta trouble.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 AM
SoCalSal

<u>Always..</u>........ much better !!
ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

They're still out there....

Carl Goldberg, Sig, Great Planes...are some of the best.

I'll take a kit over an ARF any day of the week. Even though with a tight schedule it might take me a year to build, they always turn out better than ARFs and it's more satisfying. Plus it keeps me outta trouble.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
dredwards

You've hit the mail on the head there...it's the builders that are missing and then the kit companies starve and go out of business. I'm talking the real kit companies now, not GP and the big boys who have just about everything made overseas (or at least it seems like it to me). What's happened to all of the kit companies that built this hobby balsa stick by balsa stick?

Dale
Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
dredwards

Idid run into a fellow not too long ago who claimed to be a master builder. He said this as he was looking at a scratch built plane Ihad made. So Iasked him how he came to be qualified as a master builder. He replaied "Because I've successfully built and flow, and built for sale, 12 ARFs in the last 4 years" He said this with a straight face! I couldn't let it go so Iasked to help me out and tell me the difference between C-grain and A-grain balsa and when to use which grain type. His answer was "balsa is balsa, you can use them interchangeably". I just smiledand went flying.

Dale
Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been building for 40 years and don't consider myself a master builder, but I sure enjoy gluing those sticks together.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the old days,the  70's,when after a nats win in scale or pattern in r/c or c/l you waited to see which company would kit the winner.or what royal had new the next year.top flite gave it a go for awhile but stopped
Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are making the ARF's why not throw the wood in the box and let us do the assembly as we see fit.  Forgot all the hardware as we throw most of it out and just supply the wood, cowls, windshield and landing gear.<div>
</div><div>I too have been building for 38 years and love to stick the wood together.</div><div>
</div><div>JimO </div><div><div>
</div><div>
</div></div>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.