Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where Have All The Kits Gone ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 09:32 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are guys on ebay with laser cutter that'll make any kit you want, cheap too. I'm partial to royal kits im sure everyone remembers those.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:34 PM
scottrc

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
If anyone is interested in short kits, send me a message, or check my FB page RC short kits and plans. I currently have two kits ready, Top Flight Giant P-47, and the 60 Corsair, and working to clean up the Giant Corsair at the moment. I have a Bear Cat in the works as well as the P-51 in both sizes. I also have the Goldberg Ultimate Bipe 10-300 in the pipeline. I can also scan and print plans, can up to 36" and print up t 44" which makes it MUCH easier for me to translate the parts into what the laser needs. I'm also curious what other planes would make for a good seller besides warbirds. It is a lot of work to put them into the computer so one off models would be at the back of the queue.
Defininate interest in the Goldberg Ultimate. I have been looking to scratchbuild one, but a short kit would be much better.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:26 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc
Defininate interest in the Goldberg Ultimate. I have been looking to scratchbuild one, but a short kit would be much better.
Let me see what I can do. I have the plans, but only hand sketched templates. Hoping I can get good dimensions from the plans to compensate. I want to get mine back in the air as well.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:50 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
There are guys on ebay with laser cutter that'll make any kit you want, cheap too. I'm partial to royal kits I'm sure everyone remembers those.
I would be careful here. Some are working off PDF scans, which can have varying degrees of distortion. I have access to CAD software, trace JPGs of images I find on line and reverse engineer them to make sure every thing gets scaled properly. Most laser cutters will cut a kerf of .01-.015", and follow a path +/- .002".
Old 04-17-2021, 02:56 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

If anyone is interested in short kits, send me a message, or check my FB page RC short kits and plans. I currently have two kits ready, Top Flight Giant P-47, and the 60 Corsair, and working to clean up the Giant Corsair at the moment. I have a Bear Cat in the works as well as the P-51 in both sizes. I also have the Goldberg Ultimate Bipe 10-300 in the pipeline. I can also scan and print plans, can up to 36" and print up t 44" which makes it MUCH easier for me to translate the parts into what the laser needs. I'm also curious what other planes would make for a good seller besides warbirds. It is a lot of work to put them into the computer so one off models would be at the back of the queue.
I am currently about 80% done with a scaled down Goldberg Ultimate. Thirty eight inches for E-flight Park 480 pulled from an Aeroworks Stingray, retired due to gaining weigh from numerous repairs. The plans are dwf or pdf. Do you have access to 24" long lite-ply?
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by dreadnaut
I am currently about 80% done with a scaled down Goldberg Ultimate. Thirty eight inches for E-flight Park 480 pulled from an Aeroworks Stingray, retired due to gaining weigh from numerous repairs. The plans are dwf or pdf. Do you have access to 24" long lite-ply?
Thats my staple size, 24 ply and balsa, only on the Giant Scales do I need to go to 27" sheets, but on those I try to play out pieces to use up all the real estate. Only reason the CG Ultimate is being done is so I can repair mine. I have intact wings, and most of the parts for the fuse, so pretty easy to copy, its just the parts from the cabane forward that I have to re-engineer. I am also re-engineering the fuse side to make them short 2 piece with a doubler for strength. Been too busy with other spring projects, so haven't done much past the wings.

I question the quality of the wood in some of these "kits" you get on Ebay and Carolina(?) because I priced out wood to make a full kit and it was well over $500 for the giant scale kits, and that didn't include the shaped parts. I get my wood from National Balsa, so it is known good quality. It costs a little more, but you know what you are getting. There is another company in Iowa that I get wood from and the quality is on par with NB, and costs a little less, but they have limited stock.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 297 Likes on 253 Posts

I think the difference in quantity you purchase in makes a big price difference. I know Carolina Customs posted they just received a container shipment of Balsa on Facebook.
worked as a part-time credit manager for a furniture company for some years and when the owner opened a second store in another town he was killing the long time local store in that town. He was selling the other store's bread & butter bedroom cheaper than they were buying it. He was buying container shipments and they were buying 2 or 3 at a time from the importer/wholesaler. They complained and wanted the importer to set a minimum retail price, but were told by the supplier it was illegal for them to force my employer to change pricing (Federal Anti-trust legislation). The importer did tell the local store they would get the same price if they ordered in the same quantities.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:03 AM
I-fly-any-and-all

National balsa and Carolina custom kits were both at toledo swap with excellent materials.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Following was posted in Stunt Hangar, keeping poster anonymous because I haven't gained their permission to mention them.

Originally Posted by Sig on Facebook
Good morning. My name is Tom Lagerhausen, COO & CFO of Sig Manufacturing.

I have received many requests for info on how Sig is doing and saw a few comments that people think Sig is out of business. I can honestly say Sig is alive and attempting to get back to its glory days.

My business partner and I saw an opportunity in the industry and acquired Sig last spring. We believe Sig can grow within the foam and plastic airplane model industry and maintain the high quality products Hazel promoted when she started the company in 1951.

We came into the business knowing there were many issues to overcome (my current list has 27 issues on it), but the two most important issues were aging equipment and a difficult balsa supply chain.

When we acquired the company, most of the equipment was 25 to 50 years old, including our 200 watt laser cutting machines (for the old people like me, DOS is the operating system). We acquired a new Tannewitz band saw for our saw room and last week we acquired two SL6200 500 watt laser cutting machines in New York. The lasers should be in operation by the end of the month.

For the past year, worldwide balsa supply has been in turmoil. Major wind mill manufacturers have cornered the market to place balsa wood into their windmill blades, primarily in China. Reps have traveled to the farmers with cash in hand to circumvent supply.

In addition, the Covid pandemic closed many ports, especially in Ecuador, where the best balsa wood is grown. For years Sig was a bottom feeder, scrounging for whatever balsa brokers could find, which usually meant receiving balsa blocks supposedly that were 4" x 48" on paper, but after delivery we find they are 3.5" x 47" (not usable in our bigger kits).

I searched and found a Ecuadorian company willing to import balsa wood directly from their dedicated farms in Ecuador, processed in their own facilities & kilns, and ship directly to our dock. At this moment our first shipment of 26,000 board feet from this company is sitting in customs and should be here in the next few weeks. I also secured a long term contract with the company for three more shipments this year, so I believe the balsa block supply chain going forward is good. We are also buying 3" and 4" balsa sheets of various thickness from Indonesia and New Guinea to bypass our saw room operations and go directly to our lasers.
My apologies for the length of this post. Every week or two, I will provide updates of our progress, touching on different aspects of the business.

For those of you asking about tours, we can accommodate your visit. With 66,000 square feet of space in 12 buildings (two city blocks), you will see some clutter we are working on to get rid of. I work every weekend here in Montezuma and can be available to give a tour on Saturday or Sunday, just let me know at [email protected] and we can schedule something.

More updates to come. My team appreciates your support to help Sig provide the best quality model aircraft kit in the world.

Tom Lagerhausen
The new owners plan to keep Sig open and viable, so they may continue to be a source of kits.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:47 AM
acdii

That was also posted on the Sig facebook page.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:42 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

That was also posted on the Sig facebook page.
If you notice, I posted that quoted from "Sig on Facebook". I didn't bother to go to FB. I just didn't want to post the name of the poster who posted it in Stunt Hangar forums.

Anyway, thought it was good news. Even I was unsure whether Sig would be around for the next 5 years, because many of their kits listed elsewhere were listed as out-of-stock or back-ordered. At least the people haven't gone woke in Montezuma, Iowa.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:42 PM
kevans11

I still get kits off of ebay. The prices have really sky rocketed however.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:39 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

With all these prices going up you might as well learn cad and start cutting our own kits. Vacuum formed canopies and cowls for far less.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:39 AM
acdii

A couple weeks ago I stopped by SIG in Montezuma, and the new owner gave me a tour of the place. With the new wood shop in production now, they are finally starting to catch up on inventory backorders. They are going through their balsa stock piles quickly though, but expecting new shipments by now. They are trying to get a stockpile of kits, but word gets out they have extra and they get snapped up. It seems the new owner is serious about turning SIG around and making it strong again where the last owner was doing it as a hobby. BTW he said that a lot of shorts and stuff will be listed on Eby, I forgot that bit and haven't looked, but going to check it out in a bit myself to see what they have
Old 08-11-2021, 06:07 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

What are "shorts and stuff"?
Old 08-11-2021, 06:09 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
What are "shorts and stuff"?
Balsa stock that is too short for their kits and pieces parts for ARF planes they no longer sell. House clearing.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you have their ebay handle?
Old 09-20-2021, 09:45 PM
d boothe
My Feedback: (16)

Wanted: New in box Sig Komander mark 2 kit to build/fly and copy.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:13 AM
acdii

Contact SIG and let them know. The new owners are interested in knowing what old kits to bring back in laser cut form.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:21 PM
stsguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know

Gotta Know Joe hobbies in Spring tx
Old 10-05-2021, 06:53 AM
michaelgantt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Sig Somethin' Extra kit a month ago. they had it in stock. when i bought my ARF Four Star they were backlogged for months waiting on arf deliveries. from what i gathered a lot of their kits were in stock. their website is not accurate, some things are shown in stock online, are are not. best to call them and ask over the phone about a particular model or kit.
I am looking at either a Four Sar 120, or maybe a 1/4 scale Skywalker for a future build
Old 03-11-2024, 09:03 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

** 16 YEARS **

Where did the time go? That's how long ago I started this link and look where it has gone. A quick review shows active building of "kits" are surviving along with much change. Mainly the idea of short kits options expansion throughout the hobby/industry. Fortunately, this is good with the many changes the hobby has revealed. And then again, it seems lately, more modelers are getting "into" hands on building of models rather that "plug and play". Can it be that were coming "full circle" and that some order of continuance of actual building of models continue. Also, a quick reflection of taking a set of plans and making a model by handcrafting. And with the supplement of 3d printers' accessories can be made readily. And of course, with the beginnings of CNC machining in the 80's/90's and now the presences of laser cutting have equally developed into a whole industry. It's exciting to see how the hobby has changed, both in the good and not so in my opinion but we must keep a vision of having fun with your hobby and sharing. That's what's all its about.

Mike
The following 4 users liked this post by RACE 66:
HangarRash (03-11-2024), JNorton (03-11-2024), scottrc (04-19-2024), spinracing (04-17-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:18 AM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The low cost ARFs are going away due to rising costs in Asia. This will work in favor of kits. The bigger issue is the lack of new glow engines and glow fuel.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
I-fly-any-and-all

Kits are at swap meets, peoples basements, or on ebay. What we need are people to replicate kits.
www.balsadepot.com thats my buddies website he sells wholesale.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:07 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 297 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
Kits are at swap meets, peoples basements, or on ebay. What we need are people to replicate kits.
www.balsadepot.com thats my buddies website he sells wholesale.
You mean like these guys?

https://oldschoolmodels.com/sfg.htm

https://planesgoneby.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.