Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:56 AM
downunderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

If I remember correctly, MY DX6i cost around USD$180, plus like $30 in shipping (to Sydney) from some shop on the east coast of the US - about a year ago. It ended up being slightly cheaper than buying one here in Sydney - maybe about AUD$20 or so cheaper at the exchange rate at the time... but I didn't have to convert it from mode 1 (which is what most of them sell as here, as far as I know) to mode 2 (which is what I use).

IMO, getting the DX6i was one of the best major purchases I've made in RC, and I'm glad I did it fairly early in my modeling... before I had TOO many controllers from RTF kits laying around. Better to go with a good transmitter and standardize all the receivers from the start. Also, now I can just buy bind and fly planes/helis (I think the Blade mSR will be next!) and not have to pay the extra cash to have ANOTHER transmitter laying around the house.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 AM
jimmy len

<div dir="ltr" id="result_box">I agree with you, to change the number  teeth of drive pinion , you can change the transmission ratio, thereby enhancing the speed of driven gear, of course, the other conditions should be remain unchanged, if you want to find more information about the gears, you may visit this link, the suitable ones may be found there...
Hope this helps,</div>
Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 AM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2
More teeth on the pinion make the main gear turn faster...people want a certain headspeed and choose the motor accordingly - and that decides how many teeth your pinion should need.
take the BOL example ... this bird is supposed to have a certain head speed (somewhere in the german forum I think I read they try to keep that at 1800 rpm - but I might confuse that with something else ... then some of the guys there started calculating and concluded, that about 3000 kV should be the most favorable motor for 11.1V. Unfortunately they did the calculation only AFTER I had already bought two cheap brushless motors with 4500kV - so if I want to end up with the headspeed they figured to be ideal, that means, I can either reduce the number of teeth on my motorpinions ORI just take the lower voltage batteries ...
... and I decided, once I do this I WILL go with the lower voltage batteries, because you can use much higher mAh batteries with the same weight as a lot smaller ones with 11.1V - this way I may also be able to use a CX2 4in1 instead of the original BOL one ... and this is the easiest way to use my DX6i (I know in the meantime you can make it work with the EK2 - 0709, but that is kind of complicated, so I'd rather use something that works with spektrum without tinkering too much)
Does any of this make any sense?? (It's about quarter to one AM here in Philly and I start to feel the effects of being up too long ....)
Regards,
Hey again Sven,

Sorry about not answering your post straight away - I have been flying (and not crashing for once) the King2 on Clearview sim with my ET6i Tx (the 6-channel that came with the BL Ultimate BOL) and once I get up there, I can fly about doing loops and rolls and buzzing (sorry about the pun) myself and just mucking about seeing how close I can fly to a vehicle or tree safely! I have just spent 6 hours straight as my wife is out with the son and I am home alone all day. BTW it is 4:30pm here in Sydney ATM as we are 10 hours AHEAD of the eastern US I think. Unfortunately you have logged off now (probably catching some zzzz's) so you wont be able to calculate the time diff anyway............but when I posted this the "current server time" is 7:41am (with no adjustments)

Back to helis: It is really windy out and no chance to fly the real models today (2morrows forecast for here is similar[:'(])
I am trying to create a bank of posts that the newbie can read and use to modify his/her bird CHEAPLY (and we can link) - a bank with both FACT and OPINIONS clearly outlined.... This is because most of the fliers that I have met end up taking the cheapest options. I personally don't agree with this - as quality is more important (as you know and promote) - but it is a reality that MOST people will go with the cheapest tested and tried option - so I have tried many of the cheap things for Esky FP (coaxs or not) helis out there (but not all) and am willing to help out in this regard usually.

How much did the DX6i cost you?

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. "Weight comes into play often with the smaller coaxs - yes, even the BOL (due to its low head-speed)"
Hi Peter,

I am not sure where this server is locatetd, but I always kind of get the impression, that it is somewhere in the UK ... and if this hunch is true, then your local time while I write this post should be around 20;30 or so. When I read your post (particularly the phrase with the "local server time" I started calculating (again) and now I thind Sydney is actually 14 hours ahead of us here in Philadelphia (my local time right now is 6:32 AM)
Glad to read you enjoyed your time at the sim ... reminds me of the good old days when I could spend the whole day in front of a computer game and nobody would chastize me for it (btw, I know that you can't really compare computer GAMES and a clearview sim). Personally I have a Real Flight G4 and believe it or not, I fly looops and rolls and funnels (sometimes - but this is more of an accident when it works) on it ... none the less I am not even able to get my Belt CP into a hover (let alone a decent one).. Last time I tried to get the bird of the ground I managed to hit Idle up and schredded the main gear within seconds. Good thing (I did that in my OFFICE ) that I didn ' t shred anything else. After that experience I decided that it is to early for a Belt - havent tried flying it since ...

I think the (YOUR ) idea with a bank of posts that a newbie can access to find solutions to the common problems ... and all the mods ... is GREAT! wish something like that had existed when I started looking around in my German Heli forum ...
I also completely understand the statement that everyone (well almost everyone anyway) does (and has to) look at the price as the main decisive factor for choosing mods or upgrades ... nevertheless after about a year and a half of reading always the same stuff about those cheapo Chinese L4 upgrade sets I cannot keep on supporting the statement I just made without caveats (so to speak). The really SAD (and I know - again - that sad is not really the right word, but I wil use it in lack of a better alternative coming to my mind right now) thing is, that most people either don't even bother to start calculating the price of an upgrade by looking at the bigger picture and just buy the cheapest possible one ... or they buy Xtreme (if they fly Lama) or eFlite ... and very few of them Microheli (if they fly Blade) just because that stuff has a name - so there can't possibly be anything better, right??
Let me throw in another example: I truly respect Brendon's view of flying (and I think rusty63 thinks kind of along the same lines) of "I don't care how my bird looks as long as it flies and kicks a...!!" I just find this opinion to be too focused on one aspect, which makes me always a little sad (really, that's nothing personal against any of you guys ... I just have a different understanding of it!) ..... I think those little helis are some kind of art (in a weird way) and that's how they should be treated (I think that trait of character developed when I was a little kid and rode my bike the ... I don't know ... 5miles or so to the car dealer that had a Lamborghini in his showroom, just to stand in front of the window and look at something I would never ever be able to afford, because it is just lightyears out of my league)
Just that those little helis are "art" that is a lot more affordable than the Lamborghini (nowadays probably more the Bugatti Veyron) which is why I think everyone should at least have to:
ONE that flies as often as possible (my Mr.0815) where you try all the stuff with and
ONE that only flies on very special occasions and spends most of the time on a shelf behing glass just to make you feel good only looking at it (my Mr.Bling)
In the mean time I DO understand, why a CX2 or CX3 cost about twice the price of a Lama3/4 (actually almost three times, if you get a "good" special) - and yet this price was always the thing that kept me from buying one in the first place. (Even though the verdict, if this is TRULY 100% justifified is still out)
I will also admit, that I would not (yet) have all the alu parts I am promoting all the time, because it is exactly the same: they look too expensive on the first glance (and are too expensive to buy them all at once - usually ... if you not related to Bill Gates or Warren Buffet) but time more so than not will prove this notion wrong!!
The manufacturers of the cheapo China set bank on one feature of todays society, that (almost) always works: Impatience or better yet, the urge for instant gratification ... everybody WANTS everything .. always right away. That is why you get the China set with swash, upper and lower rotorhead and an extended shaft! Oh - and even with the blade grips, which are such a ridiculous quality that you can go right ahead and toss them - UNSEEN!!
Buy the same set with the parts I am promoting and it would cost you about 3.5 times as much (ok, you get it with adjustable flybar which is not included in the China Set and drives the price down to 3..2 times tha China Set) so most people are not willing (or able, but I would claim willing is the more crucial point) to spend that kind of money in one purchase (even more so on a heli that cost less than this!) Here is the funny part: people always tell me the parts I promote are so ridiculously overpriced ... yet they are highly innovative and if you compare the price of the Skytec tuning set to what it would cost you buying this in Xtreme parts, then it is almost negligibly more expensive !!! So in the end people buy the China cheapo, then they go back to plastic and claim "all tuning is crap because it doesn't work" and then they read in the forums and buy Xtreme - and by this time they spent the same - or more - money they would have if they bought the parts I promoted right from the beginning.
After all this teacher speak I will admit that I - as I mentioned above - would not have all those parts yet if I had not gotten an amazing deal on them ... but I would buy them over time anyway.

I think you agree with me ... or better I do agree with what YOU said in one of your posts completely (I think it was you at least): despite all the impatience it makes way more sense to do ONEUPGRADEATATIME, to be really able to judge the difference it makes. From this point of view the cheapo China set has to actually be classified COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, as you do a whole bunch of upgrades in one step - and therefore forfeit the chance to make exactly this judgement. It would actually even make more SENSE, to buy the expensive parts bit by bit, as it would have a much steeper learning curve .... yet still, the impatient society will go for the "all-at-once-cheapo-solution"

Sorry, looks a lot like I'm rambling here and I get way off topic ... but it had to be said and I hope people won't hold that against me ...

Long story short - the bank is a great idea! good luck with that, I am looking forward to the results. Oh, and my DX6 cost me 179$ more than a year ago ... bad choice in terms of HOWI got it, but by that time I was still of the opinion, EVERYTHING you get from China is cheaper than anywhere else .. so I learned the hard way WHATit makes sense to import and WHAT makes (a lot) more sense to buy local !!

Sorry again that the post got so long - hope no one falls asleep while reading.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend guys
Best regards,
Sven

PS:
Speaking of art, the day Mr.Bling is ready for the next photo OP is getting closer - I will post them once everything is in place ...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: rusty63

Hi Peter , I like the transmitter you got with Big Lama . Was it by mistake ? Sven thanks for further explaining about pinions . I had nice Outdoor Flight with my cheaply moded Big Lama this morning .Hope you enjoy . Russell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RoIQif9BaA
Nice flying, Rusty.... I thought sure you were going to land in the pool! LOL! I see you've done the tail mod the same as mine. GONE! Last evening I used the rear half of a Lama IV body, turned it upside down and slid it over the broken tail on my BOL. It fits perfectly with a bit of tape or glue to keep it on. I'll have to post a picture later.

Peter: Last evening was the first totally successful flight of my modified BOL. The metal head assembly stayed together and so did the rest of the extension kit. Boy, what a tremendous difference once you get going. I'm making huge circles over my house using NO tail rotor. Just full forward cyclic and left/right aileron. You have to have a lot of room to circle like that because the helicopter is really moving FAST! I can't do it once I get down below the tree tops... not enough room. But, the BOL hovers hands off now.... I can also do the fast circles backwards too. The nice thing about the extended rotors is, if you are really going fast and flying large circles backwards...if you want to stop...or if you lose your orientation, you can just let go of the sticks and there's no more worry about blades clashing. I got off to a bad start... but things are really moving now.

Oh, [&o]..... I STILL cannot check out with the extreme blades at Miracle Mart. Those Chinese people hate me! LOL! I tried to open a new account but .... their computers remembered me. [:'(]
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
rusty63

ORIGINAL: Buz

Hi Peter , I like the transmitter you got with Big Lama . Was it by mistake ? Sven thanks for further explaining about pinions . I had nice Outdoor Flight with my cheaply moded Big Lama this morning .Hope you enjoy . Russell
Nice flying, Rusty.... I thought sure you were going to land in the pool! LOL! I see you've done the tail mod the same as mine. GONE! Last evening I used the rear half of a Lama IV body, turned it upside down and slid it over the broken tail on my BOL. It fits perfectly with a bit of tape or glue to keep it on. I'll have to post a picture later.

Peter: Last evening was the first totally successful flight of my modified BOL. The metal head assembly stayed together and so did the rest of the extension kit. Boy, what a tremendous difference once you get going. I'm making huge circles over my house using NO tail rotor. Just full forward cyclic and left/right aileron. You have to have a lot of room to circle like that because the helicopter is really moving FAST! I can't do it once I get down below the tree tops... not enough room. But, the BOL hovers hands off now.... I can also do the fast circles backwards too. The nice thing about the extended rotors is, if you are really going fast and flying large circles backwards...if you want to stop...or if you lose your orientation, you can just let go of the sticks and there's no more worry about blades clashing. I got off to a bad start... but things are really moving now.

Oh, [&amp;o]..... I STILL cannot check out with the extreme blades at Miracle Mart. Those Chinese people hate me! LOL! I tried to open a new account but .... their computers remembered me. [:'(]
Thanks Buzz , Big Lama needed some more Air to breath ..lol. I actually have spare v4 rear body . Big Lamas due for thorough check up ..Picture would be great .. Russell
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Beachcomber

Big Lama - Brushless - First Impressions

I just installed the Aero Electronics BRUSHLESS motors kit into my Big Lama today (pinions finally arrived).

First Impressions: WOW!

Longer Version:
- Motors are fairly noisy.
- Motors are much much stronger than stock brushed 370 motors, wow. Almost need a soft start; when you push up the throttle, you'd better be ready.
- Pinions that came with kit were not usable, fit loosely on 2.3 mm shaft and were press-on type with no set screw. Had to buy 10 tooth press-on for 2.3 mm shaft.
- All the extra equipment (two speed controllers, lots of wire, etc) make the heli noticeably heavier but has plenty of power to fly.
- The speed controllers plug into the stock 4-n-1, so using stock gyro and mixer. Can't tell that my proportional adjustment is doing anything. But wow I had to turn the gain down to stop the tail wagging.
- Motors get a little warm, speed controllers get just a little bit warmer but not hot. Extra power being drawn from stock battery made battery warmer than when with stock motors.
- Haven't used full battery yet, so don't know what affect on flight time.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Russell,

No I don't think it was an error! The King3 is sold with the ET6i - and I guess the 2.4G Big Lama will be sold with it also!
I have just recounted the teeth on the new BL Ultimate - and again I come up with 11-teeth on the pinions. Only time will tell whether the "tightness" that I feel when rotating the gears by hand is due to the gear meshing not being quite correct and will strip the teeth from the main WHEN I finally get a break from the strong winds outdoors.

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Buz
...Peter: Last evening was the first totally successful flight of my modified BOL. The metal head assembly stayed together and so did the rest of the extension kit. Boy, what a tremendous difference once you get going. I'm making huge circles over my house using NO tail rotor. Just full forward cyclic and left/right aileron. You have to have a lot of room to circle like that because the helicopter is really moving FAST! I can't do it once I get down below the tree tops... not enough room. But, the BOL hovers hands off now.... I can also do the fast circles backwards too. The nice thing about the extended rotors is, if you are really going fast and flying large circles backwards...if you want to stop...or if you lose your orientation, you can just let go of the sticks and there's no more worry about blades clashing. I got off to a bad start... but things are really moving now.
Oh, [&o]..... I STILL cannot check out with the extreme blades at Miracle Mart. Those Chinese people hate me! LOL! I tried to open a new account but .... their computers remembered me. [:'(]
Hey again Buzz,

See, it feels great doesn't it! When the blades don't clash and you can not worry any more about crashing - and can ENJOY flying about trying new things..........

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: downunderdog
If I remember correctly, MY DX6i cost around USD$180, plus like $30 in shipping (to Sydney) from some shop on the east coast of the US - about a year ago. It ended up being slightly cheaper than buying one here in Sydney - maybe about AUD$20 or so cheaper at the exchange rate at the time... but I didn't have to convert it from mode 1 (which is what most of them sell as here, as far as I know) to mode 2 (which is what I use).
IMO, getting the DX6i was one of the best major purchases I've made in RC, and I'm glad I did it fairly early in my modeling... before I had TOO many controllers from RTF kits laying around. Better to go with a good transmitter and standardize all the receivers from the start. Also, now I can just buy bind and fly planes/helis (I think the Blade mSR will be next!) and not have to pay the extra cash to have ANOTHER transmitter laying around the house.
Hey again DUD,

Could you provide me with a link to where you think I should buy one now? (big ask I know)

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again Sven,

Nice thesis I agree that we should provide a CHOICE of options in the "opinion" area of this bank-of-knowledge, and even though China makes some cra**y parts the marketing of same (to provide birds that will "fly again") is aggressive. These birds are (dare I say it) designed with purposeful flaws -'cause the manufacturers know that the big $ is really in the parts market.
The upgrades are by choice - usually dictated by price and availability - but when you have been in this game for as long as you and I - we KNOW quality plays a major part. The problem that I find is convincing someone (usually on the other side of the world) to invest in a [link=http://peterstoecker.bplaced.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=135]metal blade grips[/link] - no matter how well made - for 24.12EUR (US$34.49 or AUD$40.97) THEN ADD SHIPPING and wait, when they can buy a replacement set of [link=http://www.helidirect.com/esky-main-blade-grip-set-outdoor-lama-p-8647.hdx]plastic blade grips[/link] at a store local to them for US$3.50 THEN ADD A LOT LESS SHIPPING & HAVE IT THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW - (I can provide many similar examples).
After trying to unsuccessfully convince some I gave up trying!!!!
Do you think it is worth me/us trying again?

I honestly think we would get the best result by creating a "bank of OPINIONS together with a bank of FACTS" clearly stated with 3 levels of developing - "beginner or newbie flier", "intermediate or developed flier", and "advanced - for those that want the best out of their bird" within EACH bank.

Thus:

Bank of OPINION: Newbie - beginner flier
Bank of OPINION: Intermediate or developed flier
Bank of OPINION: Advanced - for those that want the best out of their bird

Bank of FACTS: Newbie (not very large)
Bank of FACTS: Intermediate or developed flier
Bank of FACTS: Advanced - for those that want the best out of their bird

Could start this a.s.a.p. somewhere and provide links to it when someone posts - this would ENSURE that we never get bored with repeating the same info over and over again to fliers.... and as other birds/developments come to hand, would be easy to update!
Catering to the individual needs/problems/"try out this..." then provide a link to the detailed bank.
Keeping in mind that we would like to CHECK OUT eachothers work before actually placing any info within this BANK, WHERE do you suggest that I copy and paste some info "BOL FACTS: Newbie" that I have?

P.S. Here are the FACTS: Newbie for Lama4 that I have been linking for a while now (just so you can see an example of what I mean) - [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7350619]4in1 adjustment[/link] and [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8876563]swashplate adjustment[/link].
Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 PM
erdnuckel2

Hi Peter,

the WHERE is really the biggest problem ... in the German forum I am in, it was done with a FAQ that is basically "managed" by one of the mods ... I don't know if that would work here. Also, the guy who started the longest thread about the big lama there has kind of a cooperation with the mod for the index for his thread.
Another good idea might be a blog (in another forum every user can have their own, self administered blog ... don't know again - how is it here?

Let me just get back to your reasoning about quality and price and availability - you are spot on ... so how would that possibly be changed? If you know someone in australia who is interested to work on the availabilty part, maybe you can hook me up ... or maybe you are interested yourself (didn't you mention you order stuff for some friends/coworkers of yours every now and then?) Personally, I am working on the price part right now - I know that German prices are - thanks to the strong euro and one or two other factors - really high for everybody who does not live there. But I am in contact with the company and I think I can have justified hopes that the stuff will be differently priced in other parts of the world (which don't have the 19% ... soon to be 20% vat YOU GOT IN Germany). But this is all stuff I am going to find out bit by bit in a matter of a few week or so.
So I will get back to you once I know something black on white/in writing .... until then all this would only be speculation and wouldn't do any good to anyone.

Fly safely
Sven

Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2
Hi Peter,
the WHERE is really the biggest problem ... in the German forum I am in, it was done with a FAQ that is basically ''managed'' by one of the mods ... I don't know if that would work here. Also, the guy who started the longest thread about the big lama there has kind of a cooperation with the mod for the index for his thread.
Another good idea might be a blog (in another forum every user can have their own, self administered blog ... don't know again - how is it here?
Let me just get back to your reasoning about quality and price and availability - you are spot on ... so how would that possibly be changed? If you know someone in australia who is interested to work on the availabilty part, maybe you can hook me up ... or maybe you are interested yourself (didn't you mention you order stuff for some friends/coworkers of yours every now and then?) Personally, I am working on the price part right now - I know that German prices are - thanks to the strong euro and one or two other factors - really high for everybody who does not live there. But I am in contact with the company and I think I can have justified hopes that the stuff will be differently priced in other parts of the world (which don't have the 19% ... soon to be 20% vat YOU GOT IN Germany). But this is all stuff I am going to find out bit by bit in a matter of a few week or so.
So I will get back to you once I know something black on white/in writing .... until then all this would only be speculation and wouldn't do any good to anyone.
Fly safely
Hey again Sven,

I'm not in a position of strength to become an importer or local Austalian stockest - sorry. I just buy in bulk and sell these parts at a set rate to the...well it varies between one guy and 8 guys depending on the time of year...within my department at work - all Esky Lama3 or Lama4 parts. Just like my employer I am strictly not-for-profit.
RCUniverse does have a newbie area - [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_165/tt.htm]RC Helicopters Beginners Forum[/link] - but this takes in a wide range of r/c flying models, separates and sims.
I am afraid that IF I went ahead and started another "thread" within the Esky forum to make it specific to coaxs or "Big 500 Lamas", people would have to read that also - taking up more of their precious flying time....so I need a "brain-wave".
The blog idea has its merits also - but how would the average joe know whose blog to follow?

I think this needs a lot more thought.......[sm=72_72.gif]

Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 AM
erdnuckel2

Hi again, Peter!

Blog idea: How about you make kind of a read only blog and whenever somebody throws a question at you that fits the bill, you can just direct them to your blog ... if I figure out how that actually works, I could make a second one and people could be referred to either one of us ( this way it would only take away from OUR precious flying time )

You don't need to be in the position to become an australian importer. As I said, I still even don't have any official pricing, but I am bugging the company owner ever so gently to give me something to work with
As for your "not for profit standpoint" ... in case you should ever be interested more seriously - or people at your work ... think of the fact that even if the shipment is three instead of one piece, the respective transportation cost will go down significantly. and also, YOUdo now Australia - and in any case the area around Sydney - way better than I could possibly ever achieve ... so maybe you can give me some ideas to who might be the right person or company to try and get in contact with ... or maybe you know a hobbyshop owner who looks for something "a bit less ordinary"
Anyway, what I want to say is, if you have ideas/leads and would be willing to share them with me, I would really appreciate it ...

g'nite (as it just past 1:30 AM here in Philly)
enjoy the rest of the weekend
Regards,
Sven
Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 AM
rusty63

Hey again Russell,

No I don't think it was an error! The King3 is sold with the ET6i - and I guess the 2.4G Big Lama will be sold with it also!
I have just recounted the teeth on the new BL Ultimate - and again I come up with 11-teeth on the pinions. Only time will tell whether the "tightness" that I feel when rotating the gears by hand is due to the gear meshing not being quite correct and will strip the teeth from the main WHEN I finally get a break from the strong winds outdoors.

Hi Peter , This is interesting Big Lama only requires 4 channel transmitter . My 2.4ghz model came with ET-41 . I just checked rc711 , brushless Big Lama <u>available with ET_61 </u>. King 3 is a 6 channel Heliand would require Et 61 to Fly . Interesting is parts price both Transmitter $46.28 aud . I really think it a bonus . Big Lama has 6 channel receiver , your Transmitter has now spare channels . You could set / turn. Lights on/off etc as well use as spare Transmitter for 6 channel Heli . Russell
Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter , I like the transmitter you got with Big Lama . Was it by mistake ? Sven thanks for further explaining about pinions . I had nice Outdoor Flight with my cheaply moded Big Lama this morning .Hope you enjoy .
Hey again Russell,
I have just recounted the teeth on the new BL Ultimate - and again I come up with 11-teeth on the pinions. Only time will tell whether the ''tightness'' that I feel when rotating the gears by hand is due to the gear meshing not being quite correct and will strip the teeth from the main WHEN I finally get a break from the strong winds outdoors.
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Hi Peter , This is interesting Big Lama only requires 4 channel transmitter . My 2.4ghz model came with ET-41 . I just checked rc711 , brushless Big Lama <u>available with ET_61 </u>. King 3 is a 6 channel Heli and would require Et 61 to Fly . Interesting is parts price both Transmitter $46.28 aud . I really think it a bonus . Big Lama has 6 channel receiver , your Transmitter has now spare channels . You could set / turn. Lights on/off etc as well use as spare Transmitter for 6 channel Heli .
Hey again Russell,

Yip. My 2.4 brushed only came with a 4-channel - but when I got the "Ultimate" I got the 6-channel with it! I am not sure whether the idle up switch is actually connected (I can't get it to work in my Clearview sim) - I will definitively know WHEN I get around to opening up the new Tx - so I'll keep you posted.
LED lighting set is already installed in one of my fuselages (SWAT) - they are already doing a brill job of acting as a lipo alarm as well. If I had a heli that could benefit from retracts - like a larger Dauphin - I would be tempted to buy and install motorized retracts......but with the Jetranger body with skids - I think it is find just the way it is!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
downunderdog

I don't want to make any recommendations, as I'm not associated in any way with any of the online or brick stores below, but I'll summarize what I found and experienced when I was getting mine... You'll have to figure out what you think is best for you!

I bought mine from thebarnfloor.com - an online shop based in New York (see link below). They accept credit cards and paypal. I had been shopping around a bit, and their "international shipping policy" seemed to be one of the most straightforward, so that was why I chose them to order from. It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I don't remember having any issues with it and thinking that it was an OK option for future purchases (and it just showed up at the post office - no customs clearance steps or anything). I assume that you know the difference between "mode 1" and "mode 2" - if you don't be sure to figure it out before you place an order. The TX is USD$200 with an AR6200 RX, $150 with no RX, or $210 with and AR6100E 4 7.5 servos. I got mint with the AR6200 RX, which is good for park flyer airplanes. I've read more complaints online from people about AR6100 RX's (loss of control, brownouts) than the AR6200's, but I have never had any issues with any of them (I have one AR6100 that I bought at HobbyCity in my fox chuckie conversion).

http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/inde...sort=2a&page=2

If you prefer to buy in Australia, hstore (down near Cronulla) has it for AUD$279, which is about USD$235 at the current exchange rate, and I think it comes with the AR6200 from there. However, I think they only sell Mode 1 TX's. There is a way to "software convert" from mode 2 to mode 1, but you still have to open up the back to the TX to swap the spring (and ratchet, if you have one). If you do get a mode 1 and want to switch it to mode 1, let me know if you need a link - it took a while for me to find one, but there are step by step instructions somewhere on the internet! If you buy from Hstore, you can set it up so you pick up your purchase at one of their "indoor flies" - giving you a good excuse to need to go all the way down to Sutherland Shire to go to one of them.

http://www.hstore.com.au/hstore.asp

Modelflight.come.au (a shop in Adelaide that I've bought miscellaneous small parts from and have always been satisfied with - I actually visited their shop once when we were on vacation in Adelaide, and they were very friendly) have the DX6i in either mode 1 or mode 2 for AUD$279 (their USD price is only $195!, but I think they will only ship within Australia at the AUD prices - probably it's "duty free") with the AR6200 Rx.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/spektrum_dsm.htm

I may buy the mSR from them... it's due mid-September...

http://www.modelflight.com.au/e-flite_helicopters.htm

Also, Hobbycity sells the DX6i with AR6200 for USD$210... (good excuse to also throw in a few other parts you might need if you place an order there!) As you're a HC regular (addict?) like me, I won't link it directly from here.

Let me know if you want any further details about any of the above. I think I could dig up a link to some mode 1/mode 2 information if you're interested.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
erdnuckel2

Also, Hobbycity sells the DX6i with AR6200 for USD$210... (good excuse to also throw in a few other parts you might need if you place an order there!) As you're a HC regular (addict?) like me, I won't link it directly from here.

Let me know if you want any further details about any of the above. I think I could dig up a link to some mode 1/mode 2 information if you're interested.
May I throw my two cents in on the DX6i from Hobbycity? I don't know how that is now, but that's where I got mine about a year ago. It cost 179$ with AR6200 (and a lot of S&amp;H to the US) Later I had to find out, that if I had ordered from a US dealer, there would have been certain things in the package that were NOT included at HC ... and the price was the same ... Learned the hard way that China and cheap does by no means guarantee it is going to be a good buy.
Long story short .. buying a copter or a TX at HC, I would really double check everything twice, so that the cheap price doesn't turn out to NOTbe that cheap after all

Regards,
Sven

Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
downunderdog

I assume you're talking about not getting the batteries (4 1500 mAh NiMh's) and charger... I think it might be the same deal on ones bought in Australia, although I'm not sure. Maybe because the charger doesn't work on 240V? (I have the one I received with my TX from the states, but never even looked twice at it or tried to use it because I have other NiMh chargers that I use all the time.) IMO, the batteries, being 1500 mAh NiMh's, are basically worthless anyway and just increased the shipping weight. I switched over to higher capacity NiMh AA's as soon as I received the TX - I think the ones that came with it are now in one of the kid's toys somewhere, or maybe our TV or cable remote control.

That being said, if I was in the states I definitely would not have bought a TX from HC. They have GREAT prices on lots of things, but Spektrum TX's are not one of them. They're better than Australian prices, but not as cheap as many of the US based stores (which is why I bought from a US store). Throw in shipping from China to the US, and the price goes way up. Being in Australia, buying one from HC vs. buying one from a US based shop both have high shipping charges (but not high enough to outweigh the difference in price between them and Australian prices).
Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 PM
pgroom_68

I don't want to make any recommendations, as I'm not associated in any way with any of the online or brick stores below, but I'll summarize what I found and experienced when I was getting mine... You'll have to figure out what you think is best for you!
I bought mine from thebarnfloor.com - an online shop based in New York (see link below). They accept credit cards and paypal. I had been shopping around a bit, and their ''international shipping policy'' seemed to be one of the most straightforward, so that was why I chose them to order from. It was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly how long it took, but I don't remember having any issues with it and thinking that it was an OK option for future purchases (and it just showed up at the post office - no customs clearance steps or anything). I assume that you know the difference between ''mode 1'' and ''mode 2'' - if you don't be sure to figure it out before you place an order. The TX is USD$200 with an AR6200 RX, $150 with no RX, or $210 with and AR6100E 4 7.5 servos. I got mint with the AR6200 RX, which is good for park flyer airplanes. I've read more complaints online from people about AR6100 RX's (loss of control, brownouts) than the AR6200's, but I have never had any issues with any of them (I have one AR6100 that I bought at HobbyCity in my fox chuckie conversion).
http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/inde...sort=2a&page=2
If you prefer to buy in Australia, hstore (down near Cronulla) has it for AUD$279, which is about USD$235 at the current exchange rate, and I think it comes with the AR6200 from there. However, I think they only sell Mode 1 TX's. There is a way to ''software convert'' from mode 2 to mode 1, but you still have to open up the back to the TX to swap the spring (and ratchet, if you have one). If you do get a mode 1 and want to switch it to mode 1, let me know if you need a link - it took a while for me to find one, but there are step by step instructions somewhere on the internet! If you buy from Hstore, you can set it up so you pick up your purchase at one of their ''indoor flies'' - giving you a good excuse to need to go all the way down to Sutherland Shire to go to one of them.
http://www.hstore.com.au/hstore.asp
Modelflight.come.au (a shop in Adelaide that I've bought miscellaneous small parts from and have always been satisfied with - I actually visited their shop once when we were on vacation in Adelaide, and they were very friendly) have the DX6i in either mode 1 or mode 2 for AUD$279 (their USD price is only $195!, but I think they will only ship within Australia at the AUD prices - probably it's ''duty free'') with the AR6200 Rx.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/spektrum_dsm.htm
I may buy the mSR from them... it's due mid-September...
http://www.modelflight.com.au/e-flite_helicopters.htm
Hey DUD,

I should have told you that I have always prefered mode 2 - and fly it on all of my birds - and I only fly helicopters ATM. I find mode 2 more natural due to all the cyclics being grouped together - but it took a little while to get used to varying rudder inputs without adjusting the throttle a little by accident! When I last had my CP inverted, it was especially tricky!

Thanks for the choices (again) Payday is Wednesday - so watch out paypal!!

P.S. I am taking heed of the warnings also - I have a lipo Tx battery 11.1V 1600mAh ready to solder in (if it will fit) Bought it from rchelicoptershop.com, but just went back and they don't list them anymore[&o]
P.P.S. DUD, do you KNOW if the AR6200 is best for this bird? (Big Lama), and would I have to purchase one for each of my 6 other birds if I wanted to run them all from this Tx? Most are FM - some are 2.4G.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 AM
pgroom_68

HEY AGAIN ALL,

A question for all of you. Has anyone adjusted the control arms that are for the lower hub of their BOL?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 AM
downunderdog

P.S. I am taking heed of the warnings also - I have a lipo Tx battery 11.1V 1600mAh ready to solder in (if it will fit ) Bought it from rchelicoptershop.com, but just went back and they don't list them anymore
P.P.S. DUD, do you KNOW if the AR6200 is best for this bird? (Big Lama), and would I have to purchase one for each of my 6 other birds if I wanted to run them all from this Tx? Most are FM - some are 2.4G.
The DX6i only uses 4 AA's, so a 11.1V lipo is too much voltage.

I think the AR6200 (about 10 grams) is a bit heavier than the AR6100 (about 3.5 grams) or AR6100e (about 4 grams), but 6 grams isn't that big of a deal especially on the Big Lama. The 6200 has a second satellite receiver, so theoretically it's less likely to lose connection than the AR6100. I've read a few posts from people complaining about loss of signal on the 6100, but I've never had any issues with the one I have - I have flown it maybe 100 meters away from me in a park... the plane it is in has about a 20 inch wingspan, so it never gets TOO far away because it's tougher to see than my bigger planes. As the compartment where the RX is stowed is pretty tight, I wasn't very careful about keeping the antennas straight, but still no issues. I think the AR6100's are slightly less expensive than the AR6200's at most shops. Spektrum uses "proprietary DSM 2" technology, so my guess is that none of your other 2.4G RX's will work with it, unless they are Spektrum/JR (E-flite uses Spektrum, I think). Spektrum receivers are pricey - about $50 minimum, so it's definitely something to think about before taking the plunge! But, once you do, you can go Bind and Fly from E-flite! Definetely the FM RX's won't work with this TX.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 AM
RC_Addiction

HEY AGAIN ALL,

A question for all of you. Has anyone adjusted the control arms that are for the lower hub of their BOL?

Peter
Hi again Peter,

If you re referring to the ones on the picture, i have and i keep them both all the way tight tight to keep the swashplate balanced and in place. I don't know if that's the way to have them but it works for me. My BOL as of right now , hover very steady.

Fer,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59457.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1266241  
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 AM
pgroom_68

P.S. I am taking heed of the warnings also - I have a lipo Tx battery 11.1V 1600mAh ready to solder in (if it will fit ) Bought it from rchelicoptershop.com, but just went back and they don't list them anymore
The DX6i only uses 4 AA's, so a 11.1V lipo is too much voltage.
I think the AR6200 (about 10 grams) is a bit heavier than the AR6100 (about 3.5 grams) or AR6100e (about 4 grams), but 6 grams isn't that big of a deal especially on the Big Lama. The 6200 has a second satellite receiver, so theoretically it's less likely to lose connection than the AR6100. I've read a few posts from people complaining about loss of signal on the 6100, but I've never had any issues with the one I have - I have flown it maybe 100 meters away from me in a park... the plane it is in has about a 20 inch wingspan, so it never gets TOO far away because it's tougher to see than my bigger planes. As the compartment where the RX is stowed is pretty tight, I wasn't very careful about keeping the antennas straight, but still no issues. I think the AR6100's are slightly less expensive than the AR6200's at most shops. Spektrum uses ''proprietary DSM 2'' technology, so my guess is that none of your other 2.4G RX's will work with it, unless they are Spektrum/JR (E-flite uses Spektrum, I think). Spektrum receivers are pricey - about $50 minimum, so it's definitely something to think about before taking the plunge! But, once you do, you can go Bind and Fly from E-flite! Definetely the FM RX's won't work with this TX.
Hey again DUD,

I thought that I would have to buy AR6100e's for all my smaller models - yes, even the FM ones - and AR6200s for my Big Lamas - all three of them, so I have to do the math now! I will have to replace 6 x 6100e's (smaller birds) + 3 x 6200s - to bind & fly everything!
And that doesn't include my Dragonfly #4 FP (2 more). It is all adding up and getting pretty expensive now.........[&o]

Peter
Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: RC_Addiction
HEY AGAIN ALL,
Peter
Hi again Peter,
If you re referring to the ones on the picture, i have and i keep them both all the way tight tight to keep the swashplate balanced and in place. I don't know if that's the way to have them but it works for me. My BOL as of right now , hover very steady.
Hey again Fernando,

Yip - that's exactly what I'm asking. Can these adjustments be made to have similar effects that the flybar link does to the upper blade plane? Can these be made to straighten out the blade planes - from a blur to a "plate"? (I hope I've explained that well enough)
Or is it only to keep the "swashplate balanced and in place"?

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 AM
downunderdog

If I were you, I'd do it gradually... if you have several that you usually fly at the same time (like if you typically bring 2 or 3 to an indoor flying place), then standardize them on either the new Spektrum TX or on your best other TX (assuming you have enough FM RX's that are all the same frequency). Then you would have your "Spektrum fleet" and your "FM fleet", and you could bring 1 transmitter along with that fleet of helis when you go somewhere.

It would give you a chance to see how you like the Spektrum system, too, before you spend all the cash transferring them over. The other system (say, if you got rid of the "non-Spektrum" 2.4G TX and matching RX's) could be sold on E-bay and you might be able to pay for a replacement AR6200 with the cash.

Or, you could just buy the TX and one RX and standardize going forward - after all, you already have the TX's and RX's and probably won't get too much cash out of them if you were to sell them on E-bay. All FUTURE models would then be on the right track (good argument to convince the wife you need more new helis!) without the big outlay of cash to get started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.