Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn,

My MultiGov has a built in mixture control. I have thought about using it, but there isn't much room under the canopy for a mixture servo.

John,

I misunderstood and thought the wires were switched around on the ESC.

Here is a link to the new 600. http://helidirect.com/align-trex-600...bo-p-23725.hdx

Nick
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
jroo

I spent some time with my MCPX last night. I've been having a hard time flipping this thing. Even on my successful loop I had, I felt there was no negative pitch at all. When attempting a roll, no matter how high I was, when I got inverted, I would drop like a rock.

So last night I double checked all my TX settings and then spent some time on the head. I then checked my pitch at Zero stick. It was way off. I have a micro pitch gauge I use for my 250 and I was reading +4 at zero stick. I then checked zero pitch by using the following technique and I was way off there, by about 1/4".

I turned in my linkages 1 turn on all servos and now I'm dead on. I have yet to give it a test flight as it was too late. Can't wait till this evening to give it a shot
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Jroo,

Many of the kits were found to come with too much positive pitch and could be dealt with by either turning out the links or making the adjustment to the pitch subtrim in the radio. Either way will work. I think you'll find your next flight will be much better now that you made the adjustment.

Mark
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 AM
jroo

W T F
hahahha

Old 05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Aframomum

Well this mornings flights were absolutely amazing...I actually cut a bit of grass today. Although it was tall grass it was awesome to see little bits of grass flying from the mcpx's blades. My first time doing inverted grass cutting!! (can't you tell I'm still running on a high? )

Mark
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

No worries mate, we have other things going on around us. PS: thanks for the nice comments on the frame shave.

As you saw in my post, those wires were miss matched, me no likie! Interesting about the stats you provided on the other venros wire sizes. It is beyond me how these Companies

can be so far off from each other and understand ohms law! Just to go back a step, the 600-2 wires were getting warm after the Deans to the ESC. Once I came down a size on my

pinion that took of that problem and it also cooled off my pack too. It has been so long since I flew 600-1 with the NUE motor I don't know if I had any heating issues with it. I know it

had plenty-oh-power. As I found out on 600-2 after reading the 600 manual, my blades pitch should never exceed 9 degrees. Not knowing that back in the day... 600-1 still has 12 plus

and neg. So after I adjust that out I should be in a pretty good place.

Today I finished the main frame completely. I do not have the boom stuck in the receiver yet as it makes it hard to work on for the other things. I got the RX in, all servos are zip tied in

the frame and I was just installing the gyro. I had to replace the boom receiver box belt pulley shaft bearings in the frame. The factory bearings were CA'd on the ends of the little drive

gear shaft. I also had to buy the end of boom tail belt shaft bearings. However, here I have a small problem! The race in the aluminum tail box where each bearing slides in is a bit worn

and the bearing kind of slops around. There are numerous ways to address this beyond just trying to make up the slop with CA. I have in the past on other machines supported the part and

taken a center punch and placed the tip inside the race collar and tapped a few divots on the side walls. That actually closes the diameter of the collar making it grab the bearing when you

bop it in place. As I said, I have done this past and it is just a slow task to perform but works well.

Something elses you'll find interesting: None of the screws in the plastic, bottom, battery tray, rx tray from the Align 600 frame will work on the HK frame. All of their holes are about an

1/8" shallower, so you have to use their screws. I also used "all" of my Align threaded screws in the frame into the bearing blocks and such and those fit well. It's when you work on clone parts

you see these little suttle changes that allow them to sell a 600 air frame for a $150.00

I have run into some programming issues so I need to pull the 611 manual and take a refresher course. I tried to install it tonight and while it lights up and I can go through the LCD menu it

is different than 600-2's sitting side by side on the bench. I am sure it is just programming.

Freaking COLD wind all night then rain today. Tomorrow rain too and then more on Sunday. John has plenty of time to finish this heli at a snail's pace LMAO.

CUTTING the grass! Mark, you should be on Cloud 9 for the rest of this week. Well done KUDOS! !

Nick,

HOLY FREAKING COW! ! ! That Align 600 Pro looks like and is built like a 700E. Man, two battery packs and 50 volts I-YI-YI... I CARUMBA, that puppy is sweet! ! It has everything a 700e has for the

most part. I di check out that head and yep it is waaay different than mine, looks pretty cool actually.

Jroo,

Well you can't say you didn't feel that heli being out of pitch. You kept saying it didn't feel right and your collective was way out, well you were dead on the money may friend. I bet she will fly like a

new heli once you get the pitch corrected and you flips and rolls will far easier to do and maintain. Good luck!

JPEE back to the hanger.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is cool you did some low inverted hovers.

John,

I wonder if Align is going to change the heads on the rest of their helis now.

I did a quick test flight this afternoon. There had to be a lot of fuel in the engine from my idle test a few days ago because it was really hard to start my engine today. I had to take the glow plug out to get it to turn over. After I am done using it I keep trying to start the engine until is uses the last bit of fuel and can't start again. All the fuel must be sitting in the pipe and flood back into the engine when I try to start it. The last couple of times I have taken the pipe off a lot of fuel comes out of it. Anyways I disabled my govenor and flew around a little in my backyard. The engine is still running good and the heli flew good. I think I will do some more light flying with the govenor off to break the engine in some more.

Nick
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM
JPEE

Nick,

That s great news your Velocity is flying very well for you. On the gas thing here is a tip a guy taught me for chainsaws, generators and such that sit for long periods

as well I as do this for my Quad motorcycles.

1. You turn off the gas and start the engine and let it idle until the engine stops. As it goes lean you'll hear the rpms climb just a bit before the engine dies.

2. Then after waiting 15 min without doing anything you restart the engine and it will run for 5-7 seconds, now your dry. It was explained to me that there are vapors

"duh" in the engine and once shut down and when it goes from hot then to a cooling stage they become liquid again and that's what your trying to burn out of there.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24049.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1610761  
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

That is cool that your multigov has the mixture capability, in case you ever do want to use it in the future. It may be worth thinking about if you have any more engine overheating or bearing issues...

Glad it still sounds good, but sorry it seemed to be flooded....sounds like you are doing the right thing before storing it, I wonder why it seems to flood so easily?

The new 600 looks great!

JPEE,

Glad you have time with the weather to go at a nice slow pace on the 600-1...maybe not as much fun as nice weather and flying, but it can be more relaxing for sure.

Sorry your weather has been so crappy...seems like a lot of rain lately for SoCal... hope it warms up and gets sunny for ya!

Mark,

Congrats on the grass trimming! That's one of those times when you come back from a flying session on a big high, for sure!

I got the CF tail boom installed last night...I went with the stock length for now....it wasn't too bad to do, the next one will be easier, I learned a few things..but it sure beats paying $15 for a tailboom each time!

Jroo,

Glad you got your pitch straight now....let's hear a flight report!

Glenn
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Aframomum

Hey guys,

JPEE, I can't believe Align already has out the new 600...I saw in Dec. they had some CAD drawings of it on some mystery page and didn't have any details, just the CAD pictures, so really neat they are already out in production. Looks like they were going inbetween the 600 and 700...need a new heli???

BTW, did you notice they are including a Castle ESC and not an Align...wonder what that is about? And besides the head, the tail servo has a new spot and that canopy is mean looking...totally encases the entire body almost. Overall...looks very nice. Can't wait to hear the flight reports.

Nick,

Glad you got your Velocity working again, are your neighbors used to you now?!

Glenn,

Good job on the boom repair, not all that bad of a repair actually and absolutely better then spending $15 on a bunch of stuff that you don't need...ie a tail motor.

Just wanted to share with you mcpx owners...if you've crashed enough that your lower canopy pins are broken off the main frame...I got a tip courtesy of HF to use a small bit of velcro to attach the bottom of the canopy to the frame. See the pics...they'll explain it better. Works great and I wouldn't worry about the weight...its just a small bit of velcro.

Of course for those that don't crash into, say...mailboxes, the house, light poles, or very hard concrete roads...you really may not need to do this.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56073.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1610787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14616.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1610788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96689.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1610789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84490.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1610790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12290.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1610791  
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
jroo

Mark,

Great idea on the velcro man. I have yet to break one off, but I'm trying!

I wanted to rebuild my tail boom on my MCPX and do the extended boom mod. My LHS has been out of 2mm carbon rod for way too long so I went into the store and asked to use some digital calipers.

I found that the Blade CX training gear is 2mm. It's $9 for 4 rods.
[link=http://www.readyheli.com/EFLH1205-E-Flite-Blade-Training-Gear-SetBCX_p_32553.html]Blade CX Training Gear[/link]

The Blade 400 tail pushrod is also 2mm and is $3.5 each. I picked up 2.

[link=http://www.readyheli.com/EFLH1459-E-Flite-Blade-400-Tail-LinkagePushrod-Set-B400_p_32649.html]Blade 400 Tail Pushrod[/link]

I think I will be able to make 4 booms from this, but I'm just guessing.

I also picked up some wire from radio shack. People are using the 26 gauge wire for the tail.

[link=http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036277]Wire[/link]

When I got home I wanted to quickly take out the MCPX and try a roll with my adjusted pitch. My first attempt seemed better than normal. My second attempt was about the same, but the main gear popped out. I went and picked up the heli and main gear and walked back to pop it back on. Then I realized the bearing had popped out as well. It was somewhere in the lawn. I went in to eat dinner and then later came out with my son to look for the tiny bearing. I walked over to the general area where I remembered I had crashed, and there it was, right at my feet. what luck.

I'll try again tonight. I still feel though I'm doing something wrong. I am actually going to try tonight and video tape it, so maybe you guys can help me. When doing a right roll from a hover, do you really punch the cyclic? I 'think' I am, but I end up crashing 10' to the right of where I originated from, and the motor really seems to be struggling when I get inverted. Any quick tips?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM
JPEE

James,

Sorry you lost that tiny bearing in the grass. Here is a funny related story for you. I guess it was two months ago I was doing a test hover in the back yard off the patio.

When I got airbourn and was hovering something came off and fell into the grass. So I set the heli down in the grass which I normally won't do but to mark my area. I looked

for what fell off (I can't remember now) and it was metal and small. I went to my shed and got my metal detector and set out to adjust it in test area of grass using and like

parts from my junk box. Once adjusted I took the detector out to the grass area and started my search. I covered about 30 sq.ft. and then ping went the detector. The small

part was halfway down into the grass and I got it!

Mark,

Align is "not" noted for their ESC's and reliabilty. When they built the 700 it too came with a CC ESC. If you noticed that 600 Pro heli was a $1,000.00. For $264.00 more you can

get a super combo 700E. DUH, let me think about this, do I want a 600 or 700 hummmmm Ok if your forcing me I'll take the 700 LMAO.

[link=http://helidirect.com/align-trex-700e-super-combo-kx018e01-p-20742.hdx]LINK[/link]. Overall I am really surprised the 700Es are not being sold as used as much as I thought

they would be by now. I do know this, with this 600 Pro out my 600e just lost value BIG TIME! Such is life, when I bought my 500 ESP it cost me $1090.00 out the door with everything to fly.

Now you can get 500s for $350.00 to $500.00 all day long. Sigh, a sign of the times I guess.

John

PS: I looked back at page 1 of this thread and clicked away until I saw my name about page 45-46............... been a long time here and I still love it!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
evdreamer

John,

I might have to try that with my engine and see if it starts up again.

Glenn,

I was watching Finless engine tuning videos last night and he made a good point where a mixture control would be a bad thing. When the weather is cold out going by engine temp alone would cause the engine to be too lean. I am going to try and tune my engine to smoke and sound instead of engine temp. Hopefully I won't burn it out.

By the way they were doing the tuning video on a T-Rex 700 with a prototype YS120 engine. That thing was a beast. The guy flying also had a custom pinion made, so his HS was as high as a 600 HS.

Nick
Old 05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, when I was reading about mixture controls I think that subject came up, the ambient air temperature can really throw things off...and a cooler outside temp definitely requires a richer mixture.

It takes practice and time to get good at nitro engine tuning...when I was at MHA and was having problems with the SDX running hot, Charles was telling me that he never measures engine temps, he just goes by smoke, sound, and power levels to gauge the mixture.

I bought and watched the engine tuning video that Bert and Bobby made, and it was also quite good, I think it cost $3.99 or something....well worth the price.

It's always safer to have the engine on the rich side, as you now know, I am sure...a bit more smoke, a bit less power, but a happier engine in the long run...

I'll bet the 120 was a beast! I was talking to a guy from MHA about the newer, larger nitro engines....it's really the only way to compete with the power of electrics that are coming out....and they still will fall short...today's nitro engines are just about squeezed for all the output you can get from one, so the only alternative is larger engine size/displacement.

There is an old drag racing saying..... "there is no replacement for displacement" !!

About the only other thing they could do to get more power out of the nitros is put superchargers on them....I'm pretty sure some plane engines have them...

Glenn
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just bought that nitro video from Bobby and Bert. That was pretty good. I decided to get a few more.

Nick
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

That is a cool video....glad you decided to get it, I know I learned from it for sure....

I have not checked out their other vids, which ones did you get, and how were they?

Mark,

I did a bit of grass cuttin' myself last night, had a super calm evening wind-wise...lots of fun with no wind!

I too had to CA my boom in place at the frame end...it would twist around even on a small crash.

I have a tad bit of tail wag in my MCPX, I tried the trick with re-bending the tail blade blades, but it didn't seem to help too much....it's not bad, but enough to be annoying...

I see there is another surveying stake in the ground at the Moose lodge....I have a feeling that it will be short lived...so I'd better enjoy it while I have it!

Glenn
Old 05-19-2011, 06:29 AM
jroo

I did the extended tail boom mod to the MCPX last night. It worked out really well. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Aframomum

Glenn,

Cutting grass is awesome isn't it?! Just make sure they don't start asking you to do the whole field. lol.

I also noticed the boom would turn in a crash but since it doesn't move in flight I just left it snug in the frame. It was the side that the tail case is on that I glued just b/c it seemed too loose for comfort (I had to really flatten the tube to make sure the wires had enough 'wiggle room' so they wouldn't short).

Don't know about the tail wag...does it happen with all your batteries or just one? Maybe the boom is a bit off?

You really need to look for some subdivisions in the construction phase...esp if your seeing new markers going up at the Moose Lodge. [] I would imagine that by the time you fly all the construction crews should be finished for the day and you shouldn't have any problems.

James,

I made a video this morning for you to show you how I do my flips and rolls.

You'll notice that I almost always pause for a sec in the inverted position just to give the motor time to catch up. Also, your throttle range for idle 1 needs to be flat 100 (100-100-100-100-100). My pitch range is 0-30-70-85-100. The pitch travel adjust: high 70%/low 75%. And for the airelon and elevator I have their travel adjust to 85%.

I found rolls to be a bit harder then flips...I couldn't seem to keep the heli in one place and maybe that is b/c I need to add a bit more travel on the airelon servo or just hold the airelon stick a bit longer to help it from wandering through the manuever.

Well, here's the video: http://vimeo.com/23963106

BTW, congrats on doing the boom extension...I think you'll notice a difference.

Mark
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I watched the competitions and demos, flybarless, and large electrics videos.
The demos video was great for me because they gave some good ideas on what to show during a demo. I was hoping there would be more setup tips on the flybarless video, but it was just an overview of the most popular systems and a compare and contrast between flybar helis. I was hoping there would be more comparisons between Nitro 90's and electric 700s in the large electric video. They did a decent job of explaining all the parts on a large electric, recommend what size electronics needed, and all the math needed for electric helis. All of the videos had very cool flying by Bert and Bobby.

That is cool you did some grass cutting too.

Nick
Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
JPEE

Mark,

It's not Psycho Heli, more like psycho pilot. Dang man.... you really brought that puppy far too close to your face and person for comfort son!

However, that is some great flying. That little bugger is really spunky and darty. Your very adept at the low flights and mowing the grass, over

all I'll give you a 9. I need to leave you with something to shoot for LMAO.

John,

Well he got one 600 pack and one 500 pack in today. The sky was very cloudy and another front is coming through.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

Cool that you got a lot out of the demo video, and some ideas for you own demos when you do them.

I might have to watch the flybarless video, I'm kind of intrigued now that I have flown the MCPX for a bit. It makes me wonder how well a larger heli would fly with a FBL. I'd probably hold off though, as they are getting better and less expensive all the time.

Mark,

Nice flying! As a fellow MCPX pilot, I have been there with the psycho heli thing! Little boogers get out of hand pretty quickly sometimes....thus the one thread on HF titled "have you been hit by your MCPX yet?" ....lol..[X(]

Funny too how our flying styles vary....I have a harder time with flips than rolls...both on the bigger helis, and the MCPX... I like ending up tail in inverted, so maybe that's why I like to roll, rather than flip...

My friend Rob from the plane club emailed me and we may go flying at the Moose lodge this weekend, weather permitting....should be fun, he wants to fly some ultra micro planes...

Well, I had the best flying day of the year for me tonight....I hovered the MCPX inverted for an entire battery....and even some nose in, my weak spot... I am getting better at managing the tail inverted, and not accidentally mixing rudder and collective...[X(]

I had to quit early though...it had rained some before, and the MCPX was getting wet...I don't need to buy a new 5 in one just yet....so I didn't fly anymore after I saw some water on the blades and frame.

JPEE,

Glad you got a couple of packs in there at least....

Sounds like my kinda flying weather, cloudy with a front coming in...

Glenn
Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
JPEE

Hey Glenn,

Sounds like you had a red letter day for yourself COOL

JPEE
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Aframomum

Hey Glenn,

Sounds like a definite high day for you...nice prelude to the weekend.

I saw that thread on HF too...I may be adding my own post to it soon if I'm not careful. It's amazing how quickly it can get away from you and unfortunately b/c of its size you really do have to fly it rather close to see it. Kinda of a catch 22.

Hope you and Rob get a chance to get some flying in this weekend...fingers crossed for good weather.

I sometimes have to laugh at how our flying styles are...your usually more comfortable doing the opposite of me (rolls vs flips, tail-in vs nose-in), but at the same time we share some common issues...I too have to think of which way I want the tail to go and more times then none I have to correct a tail movement going the wrong way.

Sorry for the rain...I saw on the weatherchannel Thursday did look like rain all day in your area. At least you were able to get that monumental flight in. Definitely not worth frying a main board trying to fly in rain. Lol at the cloudy with a front coming in.

JPEE,

Yeah, I do need to be a bit easier with it...usually my flights aren't as aggressive as today's were. Guess I was just having a lot of fun with it.

Glad you got some flights in with the 500 and 600 before the weather turned nasty.

Nick,

When are your demo's going to be? Are they going to be having them video'd by any chance...would love to see one!

Looks like I forgot I took several video's yesterday morning and one of them is actually kinda funny in that I get a little too low in the grass. Plus by the end of that flight I was cooking in that Florida sun...and it was only 9:30.

http://vimeo.com/23994602

Mark

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
rotarydoc

Mark,

Great video, reminds me of my Moose lodge experiences...

Yesterday before the long inverted flight, I was playing with cutting grass....and yeah, the MCPX doesn't exactly have power to spare when it comes to grass cutting, I think more than one or two blades at a time is about the limit... Doesn't take much to get it sucked right into mother earth if you get a bit too low...

I really had a good laugh after your inverted piro....I've had that scenario more than one time....lol...the first couple of times I thought I was going into the trees bordering the field...[X(]

I've gotten it a bit more under control now, but if I get really mixed up inverted, there is pretty much no telling where the heli will end up... Nice recovery on yours though, you kinda just extended it out to a nice big circle there...

More adventures tomorrow, I'm sure...not going to fly tonight, I don't want to break anything major before I get to fly with Rob, and need a part I don't have or something...

Glenn
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
evdreamer

John,

That is good you got a couple of flights in yesterday.

Glenn,

That is good you did some nose in hovering. Have fun flying this weekend with Rob. I plan on flying tomorrow. This will be my first weekend off in like 8 months. The weather looks decent too.

I am finally trying to seal my pipe. I never used anything before until I saw the tuning videos by finless. They recommended PC Fahrenheit. It is kind of like clay and it is hard to work with. I got it at Home Depot. I will do a quick test flight tomorrow in my backyard and see how it works before I bring it to the field.

Mark,

My demos are usually in June and July. There aren't any video cameras there. It is just a small group of kids at a summer camp for aerospace. No one from my club comes anymore, so I couldn't have one of them video tape it.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.