Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Hello Mark,
I was very shocked and impressed about the new 500esp, this is something I have heard was in the makings nor released. I did look at the link and "that" is one nice heli with tons of improvements on the frame for strength. And the head and blade grips are monstrous in strength too, they are totally different.

No worry on the blades, I took my conversion calculator and asked it what 550 mm is in inches and it came to like 21" I held a tape over the 500 and OH NO far too close to the tail rotor, it was just a thought was all for more disk area.
Sounds like you were under the gun a bit with the TT issue on the EXI. I am glad you got a chance to fly too, that is always a good sign of the times. Glad you go the MCPX rebuilt and flying the right way now.

Thanks for the good wishes on the 500 crash. But I have spent up to $250.00 on a bad crash so now using China blades as well as the pulling off the TT and using a belt system that really cuts down the costs! She will be back by this weekend. If I get back from today's choirs I'll tear her down and make my parts list. I might even have everything I need here in fact.
Square loops, I'll have to look that up LOL

Me "LIKIE" duh meat! But only once a week, that cholesterol can kill ya if you are not careful.

Glenn,
Those Saturdays can be butt kickers for sure! You know Glenn, 99% of the time I write my post's in MS Word. This time is was brief so I did it on the Forum page. My part in all of this was being in a hurry so I did not do a "copy" which I generally do, just not this time..........
I hope she clears up enough to for you to sneak in some mcpx flights between storms.

JPEE, hopes to fly tomorrow but we have been having morning fog and then considerable moisture in the air leaving us with a blue but extremely glary skies making orientation nearly impossible for me... and a few of the other guys too.
Nothing on the 700

Smiles Boy's JPEE
Old 09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Here you go JPEE...square loops that I was referring too...at 0.53 sec: (posted this earlier in the year but worth checking out again )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV5xDBQCaxs[/youtube]

Mark
Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry you had to work on Saturday.

Sorry your weather isn't the best. I have some nice weather this week. Hopefully some of that makes it your way.

John,

Have fun flying tomorrow.

Mark,

Nice flying. It was nice and smooth. I really liked that half and half.

I took my Furion 6 up for a quick test flight and it was as smooth as the maiden. I also got a few flights in with the Furion 450. I have been working on the basics. I have been trying to perfect my collective timing on flips and my inverted piros. Those are sure a lot easier on my 600 sized helis compared to my 450.

Nick
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I had fun flying today. I was going to help a guy with his helicopter, but he was a no show. I kind of figured that would happen since he never responded to my email. I brought the Velocity and the Furion 6. I discharged my battery to about 88% on the first flight. I like the Furion 6 even more after doing 3D with it. It flies like the simulator. Piro flips are effortless and it autos much better than the 600. My flight times aren't the best at 3min.[&o]
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 AM
Aframomum

Nick,

Glad you got some time on your Velocity and Furion 6...seems your really enjoying your new Furion. Sorry about the 3 minute flight time...but I'm sure that is some extreme 3 minutes though.

Yeah, I do like that guys flying style in the vid...guess I'm more into the big air aerobatic type flying then the in-your-face smack. Now if I could get some of my moves to look like his I'd be a happy camper.

BTW guys, do you charge up your lipo just before you go flying or charge up a day or so before? I used to charge up a day before but heard that is bad for lipo's (to sit around with a full charge) so am wondering what do you all do?

Mark
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

It depends on when I fly. If I fly in the morning or afternoon I will charge the battery up the day before. If I fly in the evening I usually charge it in the morning. In my opinion it is alright to let a LiPo be fully charged for a couple of days. If it is going to sit longer than a week I would bring it down to a storage Voltage.

I went to a fun fly today. I used the last of my fuel, so I won't have to worry about that sitting around this winter. I got kind of tired of plugging my starter motor into my power panel, so I put some connectors on the motor. Now I can plug one of my old 3S LiPo's into it. It is much easier now and I only used 7% of a 2100mAh battery. It sounds like my rear bearing in my engine is going out, so I will probably replace that this winter.

Nick
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Aframomum

Thanks Nick,

I usually charge the night before and so leave my lipo's at full charge for 12 hours...guess I'm just over-analyzing this a bit.

That is really great that you are getting to fly at various events and funfly's...and got to use up the last of the season's fuel. Does your LHS offer by the case or do you just get a gallon at a time...I'd imagine with the amount of flying you do you would go through a gallon (or more ) a day.

Sorry to hear about the rear bearing...didn't you just replace the engine bearings? Guess heli motors, um I meant engines are more prone to wear then plane engines...I don't think I ever had to replace the bearings on my OS 46AX...and I had that thing flying for several years during my nitro plane days.

Did you just wrap some tape around the battery so you could attach it to your starter? I saw a couple of guys that did that with some older NiMH batteries...made it easier to start up a stalled plane already on the runway rather than having to lug out the flightbox or take the plane back to the pits. Bet with the lipo you could use the starter all day long.

Did you also fly your Furion 6 at the funfly?

Mark

MR. JPEE has been awfully quiet lately...I wonder if someone got a 700????
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I have never asked my LHS if they offer fuel by the case. I just buy a couple of gallons at a time. In the summer I went through a gallon a week. Once school started it took me 2 months to go through a gallon.

Yeah, I replaced the rear bearing in the summer. My engine usually gets louder when I turn it over as the bearing is getting worse. I could probably fly another season with it. I might just do that because it is a pain to replace. Least my glow plugs are lasting a longer.

I just held the LiPo with my pinky finger.

Yeah, I flew the Furion 6 also. It took about an hour to charge the battery, so I got more flights in with the Velocity. I need a more powerfull power supply to bring the charge time down.

Nick
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM
JPEE

YOU ASKED FOR IT!

The guy I gave my money to 2.3 months ago for my 700 before they were released still has not gotten it! He can only buy from Horizon I now find out and they are still without inventory! They are getting close to

my price on EBAY now by $50.00+ dollars and if they have them "I want my 700" period! So I called this guy last Wed and said: get me a heli or my money. He said he was going to call Assurance the Align distributor

and see why they are selling to EBAY sellers and not to all LHS and would call me back in three hours, yea right. He never called me back. On Thursday I called and left a message and said, a heli or my money, that got

me a no call back! So today I drove over there with a look on my face most would not want to see with both hands deep in my pockets (for protection of my temper) so when he walked over he wanted to shake hands

with his big smile but could not as my hands were not there for anymore schmoozing. I clearly said, this deal is not working so I want a refund. He replied ok but on Monday. He is small place so I can understand he doesn't

have that kind of cash sitting in his register. I asked what time and he said 11:00 a.m. on Monday and I walked out. I was so pissed I was shaking so I had to settle down before I could drive. Ten minutes later while driving

home he called and said: He just found another place he said and was pretty sure he can get the heli from there and if so it will be there on or before next Friday. And if not, he will return my money 5 days sooner next Monday

(today) as we discussed. I asked: you guaranty the heli will be there no later than next Friday and he said yes, so I said yes too. I didn't want to but it might simply things to go a few more days, we shall see.........

It just seems like "everyone" now at my field has a 700e and they LOVE them and several have said the 700e has more power than their 700 nitro brother but.......... auto down fast due to their weight!

It is kind of funny Mark, when you asked Nick didn't he just replace that engine bearing I had said to myself, "SELF" this is a repeat in my mind. I even remember Nick making a tool for the job. Sorry NICK you having such a time

with that bearing.

Mark, thanks for the videos on the square loop as well as the other tricks. Pretty neat video indeed

I have seen guys at my field use the taped Lipo to their starters like you guys described.

Time to run off to the doctors and then meet the guys at the field at 3:00 OH BOY............we are flying today

John

PS: Glenn?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
evdreamer

John,

Sorry you have been dealing with all that just to get a 700. Hopefully once you have a 700 it will make up for all of that.

Have fun flying today.

Nick
Old 09-26-2011, 06:51 PM
JPEE

Thanks Nick for positive words.

I only flew 3 packs in the 500 today but they were great and I re-gained smooth barrel rolls. My problem (and this happend before) I was rolling to the right against the main blades, once I rolled left with the blades

the rolls were creamy smooth.

I forgot to touch on the batteries and storage/charging. I have no problem inleaving batteries at full charge for two weeks. I spoke with the tech at Air Thunder (when I used their packs) and she said after that it's best

to pull them down to storage mode which as you know our Hyperions do that automatically. I have 18 3S packs I hardly ever use anymore sitting on the bench. I check them once a month to ensure they dont slip away

to a dangerous low charge state. Given this time of the year I re-charge when I come home after flying so if the phone rings in the morning I can jump in the truck and go. Come bad weather times I will only charge that

morning if I intend to fly and only what I will use for that day. To go back a bit, I found it easier also to fly down my packs in the back yard with a hover, heck man it takes 6 min to hover and the pack is down. it is much

faster than letting the charger pull them down and rotating them.

I am re-arranging my heli storage area and had all of my rc stuff on the floor, so I snapped a pic.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46908.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1666750  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Nice fleet picture there!

Thanks for your take on lipo charging also, guess I'm going to keep doing things the way I have been and charging the night before.

That was quite an update on your 700 situation...you are a better man then I in controlling your composure as I would have probably said a few choice words concerning the situation and refund. Hope everything does work out and you get your 700 by the end of this month. I do have a feeling someone lost some future business over this.

BTW, hope everything is alright on the medical front.

Well guys,

Looks like today was my lucky day, extremely lucky...my 550 flight this morning was cut short by a total power failure...seems my soldering skills are mediocre at best and today while doing stationary flips up high one joint broke loose. Lost all power to the heli and watched in awe as it seemed to have a mind of its own and did a beautiful level and straight auto all by itself. Landed in the dirt and the only damage seen was the tail blades scraped on the curb. I still will be doing a thorough look over and then need to figure out what to do with the ESC/BEC and my sorry soldering skills. Unbelievable for sure...

Mark

Name:	Li20838.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1666903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94189.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1666904  
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 AM
evdreamer

John,

That is good your barrel rolls are looking better again.

Your helis look good under the light.

Mark,

That is good your 550 was barely damaged.

Maybe you should switch to power pole connectors and not have to worry about soldering. It is hard to mess up one of those.

Nick
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Aframomum

Nick,

I totally forgot of the Powerwerx powerpoles...I remember considering them when I got my 550 (esp. after seeing the 10 gauge wire that Zippy uses ) but guess I decided to go with soldering as I already had the materials on hand. But now I am going to get the powerpoles, thanks for the reminder.

I am still amazed at how the heli just settled down on its own...and I got to see an auto from a good distance up. The eerie thing was the sound of the blades after the motor cut out...the woop, woop sound they made was cool. And now that I got to see how it 'floated'...makes me want to try doing some auto's once I get the heli working again. But I'll try them on the sim first.

Have you any thoughts on what kind of powersupply you want for charging your 600 batteries? I thought you were using a converted computer powersupply? I caught a thread on HF that gave a link to a guy selling powersupplies in the 30A, 42A, and 47A range: [link=http://feathermerchantrc.com/]Link[/link] Maybe you can find something there.

JPEE,

I never thought of rolls as against and with the rotation of the blades, nice thinking! I can see how one would be smoother then the other.

Friday's only 2 days away...hope this guy comes through for you. I'll have my fingers crossed.

Mark
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

I would recommend you get the tool to insert and remove the connectors. Without it some wires can be kind of hard to insert into the connector.

The first couple of autos are the scariest. Once you get used to your heli doing an auto it isn't that bad. Just auto into the wind and wait to add positive pitch until the last second on the electric helis.

I am using a 13.8V 20A power supply that I got from GrandRC. I was thinking about using this 13.8V 40A power supply http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-40A-520W but the ones in your link are much cheaper.

Nick
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Let me first apologize for not making a mention of your near crash with the total loss of power from the failed solder joint. I cannot imagine having your big heli in the air and then hear that silence YOUCH!

I can’t imagine flying your 500 and thern hear “nothing†in the air. Then the raw panic that must have run through your body to your very finger tips must have been mind blowing! Yet how cool is that, your 550 just came down like and Angel had a thread tied to it and let come down softly. You better drop a dollar in the plate this Sunday with a small blessing like that!

I had an old Ham Radio builder teach me how to solder and even with that you have to find your own sweet spot and learn by experience the nuances of proper soldering which is not to say “cold joints happen to the best†I have personally struggled with the Turnigy packs large wires and soldering to a Deans. I do remember Nick speaking to the Anderson connectors when he went there but I considered changing all of my helicopter connectors and honestly just didn’t want to face that chore as well as the expense. Since reading the last post with the pictures of the Anderson’s I am a bit confused and need to do some more research. I think Nick said, no soldering needed. The article said solder and not solder? It won’t take long to dig a bit deeper and find out the full skinny on those clips, a must do before the 700 arrives.
BTW, my buddy lost control of a 450 some months ago and it went inverted by itself. He flipped the HOLD switch and the heli came down “by itself†and landed inverted and on the head button and when the blades stopped it tipped over WITHOUT a scratch! Go figure that ! !

Let me set some caution on power supplies, at least my two cents .02 worth. You need to consider the charger first and it potential. My Thunder Power will only charge at 12-15 volt input power supply. The more input power, the higher the amps you can charge. Now the Hyperion can accept from 12 to 25 volts! ! Here is what you get for the extra input power. My Hyperion with a 5000 mah run down to 3.7 per cell will crank out 6.5 amps max and that is with the charger set a 2C 10,000. However, if I use my RV batteries and put them in series and hook 24 volts to the Hyperion I can crank out just a tad under 9.6 amps. That also makes the charge time shorter. I know some of you don’t care about the time but I do and here’s why. A guy at the field has a new 700e he bought and 6 Turnigy packs for the some $600.00 YIKES. Even with that and a Hyperion hooked to his pick-up truck he has to sit and wait. So yesterday he (and a lot of the guys) are buying Honda 2000 watt gen’s suitcase style and then adding an inverter which takes the 120 volt back down to 24 volt with mega amps so he and his friends all with Hyperion’s can multi charge faster. Now with this novel written and in short for me…… any charger I get must have two ports for two 5000 packs, up to 48 volt input. For bench power supplies two 12 volt systems that are tied together to make them a either 12 or 24 volt output, that’s what my friends are using here. The guy online is Feather Merchant who sells that stuff. I know a guy that bought the set up for his Logo and loves it.

I have a 12 volt 20 amp power supply I made, a 12 volt 10 amp store bought supply and a computer server big 12 volt 35 amp supply that runs my Hyperion

Rather than wait till Friday as again I have heard nothing either way from this little snot I am driving over there today to plant a seed of fear to “do the right thingâ€.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 AM
evdreamer

John,

There are three different contacts for different sized wires with the power pole connectors. They all fit in the same housing and can connect to different or the same type of contact. Powerwerx sells a crimper for those three RC contacts. If you don't want to crimp them you can also solder the wire to the contact.

Nick
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

It's been a bit....gotta get caught up here...

Nick,

Sorry about your noisy rear bearing....at least it looks like you'll be able to finish out this season with it, maybe an over the winter project....

Cool on the new starter method...I use a Sullivan hi torque starter with a 3S lipo zip tied securely to it, and an EC3 connector so I can charge it between flying sessions, it works pretty well...

JPEE,

Hopefully you can get some results on your 700 deal when you pay the seller another visit...something doesn't sound right with that deal, I hope you can get it all resolved when you see him next...

That's a lot of money to be playing around with....I'd be kinda upset as well...hope all goes well for you, and you can get your hands on it real soon!

Mark,

Cool first auto....even though it wasn't planned...I have always thought about something like that with the SDX...what would I do if it suddenly shut off in mid flight...there is something to be said about practicing autos early on...something we should work on with the bigger helis for sure...

Don't feel bad, I've had a solder joint let go on me as well....it's not easy to get them perfect every time...but if you feel better with the power poles, then by all means, go that route...

I got all my soldering practice on car stereos, then later on the RC cars...we used to hard wire (solder) the battery packs in each run...and had really heavy duty soldering stations that would solder 12 ga. wire to copper tabs in a heartbeat, just dialed the station up to about 800 degrees,
and we could swap a pack in about 15 seconds...

Well, I feel like I live in Seattle....it's been raining in one form or another for the last 11 days straight...more today, more tomorrow...they say the sun (forgot what it looks like!) may come out on Sunday....

I did get the MCPX out, put the new links on it, and charged all the batteries...got some sim time in, so I'm ready when the weather breaks here on the weekend...

Talk to you guys soon...

Glenn
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
JPEE

Hello Boy's,

Today was a very big day for me! I have been working on my Sim for some time and today as they say was the proof of the pudding! I didn't call my buds as I wanted to the field all to myself without any distractions just a short time ago. I took up the 600 belt drive (a sacrificial lamb as it were) and I flipped her and went inverted. Shortly after I started I started to loses her and I had three exits if needed that were planned. I used ona dnrolled over upright and all was well. Once I got her back then I flipped again and stayed inverted for the rest of that pack. Then I flew two more packs and each was 90% inverted hovering with a bit of driffing on the wind and just working on thumb memory. Then there was no stopping me.. and that I flew the 500 for two packs, all just hovering and working on control inverted. On the last pack I did some flying left to right in the sky while still inverted.

I am as happy as a tick on a dogs back right now

Nick,
When you can will you let me know where you got yours (batt connectors) so I scan their website and see everything, thanks

JPEE
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry it has been raining a lot there.

John,

Congrats on the inverted hovering/flying.

This is the option I went with. I just ordered the contacts and housings by themselves. You can also get the housings with the contacts. The 15, 30, and 45A contacts are for RC use. The description tells what wires work with each contact. http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...ings-contacts/

This is the crimper I got. It works with all three contacts. http://www.powerwerx.com/crimping-to...-contacts.html

Nick
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
JPEE

Nick,

Thanks for the kudos and tips on the connectors. I check that all tomorrow, I am kind rung tonight.

Thanks again John
Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

Major congrats on the inverted moves...amazing sight to see isn't it, not to mention a great feeling!? Have your knee's stopped shaking? And look at you doing it with the big birds.

BTW, nice overview of powersupplies. I am kind of in the same boat as Nick with slow charging times (my 6S 5000 takes 102 minutes to charge b/c the charger is only 80 watts [&o])...for now its not a big deal as I only have 1 but I'm sure when I get some more batteries that will change and I'll have to look into getting a decent charger and powersupply.

Nick,

Now I remember the other reason I was a bit hesitant to try the powerpoles...the crimper price. But after what happened with the 550 that'll be cheaper then replacing a pair of main blades.

Glenn,

Sorry for the living-in-Seattle rain...isn't that the way it always is...too much or too little with nothing in between. Hey, I bet the weather has cooled down for you though. Hope you get some time to fly this weekend.

Mark
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

Smacktalk came out with a pretty cool auto video. I found out I was doing something that slowed down the rotor. Half way through they do some really cool aerobatic autos.

Nick
Old 10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
JPEE

Hello Boys,

Today was the day!

At 10:00 a.m. this morning the stork came and deliverd the baby! She weighs in at 12.5 pounds and we (me myself and I ) are so excited to have a new member in our family.

JPEE

Name:	Bz78417.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1668663  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM
evdreamer

John,

Congrats!! Now you can relax and enjoy the build.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.