Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM
sgbfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi Everyone,

Not had much flying time of late. I think we are moving into Autumn here and the wind is causing much frustration. I am near the middle of that map - Doncaster if you can find it lol.

Other things that have not gone my way: I bought some more batteries - the GePower ones but the seller sent the wrong type. I bought one of those gum spy cameras to get some onboard footage and it would not charge properly. Thankfully in both cases the Chinese (HK?) Ebay seller has agreed to replace with a minmum of fuss. To anyone in the UK - these are a good price with free delivery.

I have not had chance to fit the brushless kit yet but I am reading everyones posts with interest. So who is going to be the first to ditch the 3 in 1 for a telebee HL gyro and GWS v-tail mixer?

Thanks to Peter for his comments and PM regarding xtreme parts. I have been resisting becasue I have lots of Esky blades - 4 good sets at the moment. Peter, I am so jealous of your 6 channel transmitter. I would love to use the extra channels to turn on the nav lights and also try and set up a small servo released catapult on the BL. See if I can fire a marble at an old helicopter! That would make a good video responce to this!!! Nightflyyer is on form atm.

Simon

Edit: I have caved in and ordered the xtreme blades

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Beachcomber

ORIGINAL: Electrotech

My conclusion was that a bigger mah and heavier battery will weaken the stock motors as it is trying very hard to lift it up from the ground. Have you all experience this before? or as a rule of thumb one should always keep the heli as light as possible.

Jestine
Yes, Jestine, I have experienced that before with my Honey Bee FP. More heli weight means more work for the motor. And with stock brushed motors, that translates into running hotter and shorter motor life.

And I got my Big Lama brushless motors from E-Bay and was pleased with the price and quick shipment. He is located in the USA. Not sure how many are left, but here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/370-Size-Coaxial...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber

My conclusion was that a bigger mah and heavier battery will weaken the stock motors as it is trying very hard to lift it up from the ground. Have you all experience this before? or as a rule of thumb one should always keep the heli as light as possible.

Jestine
Yes, Jestine, I have experienced that before with my Honey Bee FP. More heli weight means more work for the motor. And with stock brushed motors, that translates into running hotter and shorter motor life.

And I got my Big Lama brushless motors from E-Bay and was pleased with the price and quick shipment. He is located in the USA. Not sure how many are left, but here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/370-Size-Coaxial...d=p3286.c0.m14
Hi Beachcomber,

Thanks for the link but i guess he will not ship to my country because my country was not listed there. I do not know whether elemodel is a reliable company or not as there are no reviews of this company as compare to miracle mart, RC711, hobbycity and etc. Have anyone order any parts from elemodel.com before? Kind to share? Thanks!

By the way here is the link [link]http://www.elemodel.com/shopen/html/product_1671.html[/link]

Jestine
Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
NICKG38

Was wondering if anyone out there can help? I upgraded my Big Lama to CNC METAL PARTS and 380 Xtreme motors with heat sinks....I start flying with a fully charged 11.1v 800mah battery and I now am getting less then 5min flight times sometimes 2 minutes ....The worst part about it is the bird just falls out of the sky...Rotors stop turning but I can still adjust pitch...is the battery underrated for these motors? is it overheating?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: NICKG38

Was wondering if anyone out there can help? I upgraded my Big Lama to CNC METAL PARTS and 380 Xtreme motors with heat sinks....I start flying with a fully charged 11.1v 800mah battery and I now am getting less then 5min flight times sometimes 2 minutes ....The worst part about it is the bird just falls out of the sky...Rotors stop turning but I can still adjust pitch...is the battery underrated for these motors? is it overheating?
Hi Nick,

In short the battery should be OK

First guess is something must be binding. Do both rotors spin quite freely by hand?

Secondly are your gears meshed too tight? Try a bit of tissue between the motor pinion and main gear before you tighen the motor up in position

Good luck

Simon

Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
NICKG38

I repositioned both motors using the tissue trick, nothing else is binding everything spins smoothly but it still cuts out.....I forgot to mention that if I shut off the radio then turn it back on it will work again about 95% of the time could the mixer be bad? It's new. also I noticed on the mixer that when the control is at full throttle the light turns from green to red? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
pgroom_68

I repositioned both motors using the tissue trick, nothing else is binding everything spins smoothly but it still cuts out.....I forgot to mention that if I shut off the radio then turn it back on it will work again about 95% of the time could the mixer be bad? It's new. also I noticed on the mixer that when the control is at full throttle the light turns from green to red? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Hey again Nick,

The LED on 3in1 ALWAYS shows red at near to full throttle - this is normal! How long does it behave itself for, after you've shut the Tx off and back on? I am guessing that it is just the normal restrengthening of the lipo that occurs when no amps are being drawn....but I would need to actually see the problem to draw any accurate conclusions - sorry!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Just a thought. Could you borrow a 3-cell (11.1V) lipo from a friend/meet-flier/LHS owner to TRY? This would eliminate the lipo possibility - without spending $ on a replacement 3in1.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
pgroom_68

Hey again,

That is the same conclusion that I came to way back [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8371151]then[/link] - January. The maximum weight that my STANDARD Big Lama could lift was: 207g [7.0 oz]
My conclusions: The manufacturer was right! Keep the weight down to a minimum. At least I found a comfortable hovering weight of 80g [2.82 oz]- this is the optimum weight I believe & have been searching ebay Australia for a battery that is 1100 or 1200mAh that has a weight of around 80-82g. My feeling is that when running [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_229]Extreme Productions blades[/link] it would have more lift now no matter which motors you are running........

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
NICKG38

How is it going? I thought i'd help you out with some battery ideas.. SKYARTEC makes one with these specs 11.1v 1100mah 15c at 80g weight. dim. 54x31x26mm hope this helps http://www.skyartec-wasp.com/skyarte...c-360_361.html
Old 09-02-2009, 08:53 PM
rusty63

Hi Peter , I was wondering how your wagis going . Does it make any difference using stock batterys .cya Russell
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
NICKG38

Hello Peter,

I have 3 seperate lipo's all the same voltage and amperage, and the heli still does the same thing also sometimes the batteries get extremely hot to the touch and swell, I am at wits end..can't figure it out
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hey again,

That is the same conclusion that I came to way back [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8371151]then[/link] - January. The maximum weight that my STANDARD Big Lama could lift was: 207g [7.0 oz]
My conclusions: The manufacturer was right! Keep the weight down to a minimum. At least I found a comfortable hovering weight of 80g [2.82 oz]- this is the optimum weight I believe & have been searching ebay Australia for a battery that is 1100 or 1200mAh that has a weight of around 80-82g. My feeling is that when running [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_229]Extreme Productions blades[/link] it would have more lift now no matter which motors you are running........

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]

Hi Peter,

I saw from the photos you have posted recently that you are using a 1250 mah rhino battery. Is this battery weight around 80 to 82g?
If yes then i will buy more of this battery for a longer flight time (i will have additional flight time from using the Extreme blades too).

This morning i just got the extreme blades but haven't test it out yet. Will fly it in the evening. I observed that the blade is a little bit shorter than the original esky blade but it has a wider body.

The extreme blades for the small lama is longer and wider but wonder why the big lama extreme blades is shorter?

Which of these that cause more lifting power the wider the blade or the longer the blade?

Jestine

P.S- Nick-thanks for the link!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Electrotech

Hello Peter,

I have 3 seperate lipo's all the same voltage and amperage, and the heli still does the same thing also sometimes the batteries get extremely hot to the touch and swell, I am at wits end..can't figure it out

Hi Nick,

How long have you been using the extreme 380 motors? Have you recently tried putting more weight on the heli causing the motors to weaken? Just like when i did to my stock motors (running on a bigger and heavier battery) and now the motors can't be used anymore. It fly less than 1 minute!

Jestine
Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
NICKG38

I just added the 380 motors after break in and I havent added more weight to the heli, I don't know what's up with it...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
NICKG38

I just added the 380 motors after break in and I havent added more weight to the heli, I don't know what's up with it...
I think I might just stick to the real thing....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40445.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1267815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77508.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1267816  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
rusty63

Hi Nick , A long shot but possibility . Wires to 3in1 not pulling out from jst end ? Battery wires too. Russell
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Electrotech

Hi Nick,

Sorry i don't get what do you mean by "380 motors after break in". Do you mean the original motors have problem and you replace it with the 380 motors? Assuming your stock motors are good why not put it back again and retest to see how it goes. For your information if a battery had swollen the battery mah will drop and it will affect the flying time.

Jestine
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
Hi Everyone,
Not had much flying time of late. I think we are moving into Autumn here and the wind is causing much frustration. I am near the middle of that map - Doncaster if you can find it lol.
Other things that have not gone my way: I bought some more batteries - the GePower ones but the seller sent the wrong type. I bought one of those gum spy cameras to get some onboard footage and it would not charge properly. Thankfully in both cases the Chinese (HK?) Ebay seller has agreed to replace with a minmum of fuss. To anyone in the UK - these are a good price with free delivery.
I have not had chance to fit the brushless kit yet but I am reading everyones posts with interest. So who is going to be the first to ditch the 3 in 1 for a telebee HL gyro and GWS v-tail mixer?
Thanks to Peter for his comments and PM regarding xtreme parts. I have been resisting becasue I have lots of Esky blades - 4 good sets at the moment. Peter, I am so jealous of your 6 channel transmitter. I would love to use the extra channels to turn on the nav lights and also try and set up a small servo released catapult on the BL. See if I can fire a marble at an old helicopter! That would make a good video responce to this!!! [img][/img] Nightflyyer is on form atm.
Edit: I have caved in and ordered the xtreme blades
Hey again Simon,

The GEPower lipos that you ordered (and were shipped the wrong ones[:@] - and are awaiting replacements[]) are better than the Xtreme 850mAh IMHO I have lots of both and the GE Power 900mAh ones still amaze me with how much extra charge they hold! I get 12-13 minutes of gentle FF (things like figure-8s & circuits - nothing sudden), and only 12 minutes and sometimes less from the Extreme 850mAh ones - AND THIS IS WITHOUT LIPO ALARM/LEDs connected! But I don't fly very often without these connected so I can't get updated data every day! The heli that I used to get this data was 2.4G with Xtreme motors and blades....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
I saw from the photos you have posted recently that you are using a 1250 mah rhino battery. Is this battery weight around 80 to 82g?
If yes then i will buy more of this battery for a longer flight time (i will have additional flight time from using the Extreme blades too).
This morning i just got the extreme blades but haven't test it out yet. Will fly it in the evening. I observed that the blade is a little bit shorter than the original esky blade but it has a wider body.
The extreme blades for the small lama is longer and wider but wonder why the big lama extreme blades is shorter?
Which of these that cause more lifting power the wider the blade or the longer the blade?
Jestine
P.S- Nick-thanks for the link!
Hey again Jestine,

The Rhino 1250mAh lipo to which you refer is about 115g from memory (I will post a link to it when I get home from work - and it says its weight), but that was my new "BL motor set-up" bird with extreme blades and I think that has more lift than I need - so I am changing out the pinions to 10-teeth and probably will look for a slightly heavier Rhino 1500mAh lipo (or so...) from the same online store as well!

The Walkera 400D blades are slightly longer to provide more lift for that heavier bird!
The surface AREA of the blade is what is important and this = width x length (as you know), but the width of the extremes creates more angle also - another plus!

...my plan is to experiment with a variety of pinions and lipos AGAIN now that the blade variable is at its optimum (and can be removed from the equation)

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
UPDATE: Here's the link to [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7343]Rhino 1250mAh[/link] lipo - it actually is 116g!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Nick,

Nice real helicopter! BTW, by far the cheapest way to regain the new feel of your e\Extreme 380s is to purchase new [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_186&pro ducts_id=2140]brushes[/link]. Miracle-mart.com has them (and [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_186&pro ducts_id=2532]springs[/link] also), but you live in NY, so I found that USHobbysupply.com has unequalled service over there - [link=https://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=929]They[/link] are out-of-stock ATM[])

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 AM
RC_Addiction

1.-To Fernando,

With the lama 400 blades on your heli, would it cause the heli to drift slightly when flying?

Jestine,

2.-Hey again Fernando,

One thing is for sure - the results back then (aahhh - the good old days ) re. weight and lift and optimums is null & void with the Xtreme blades - they produce heaps of lift!
When my 2.4G bird took off from my hand today it felt like it would have lifted me and taken me away also, if I didn't let go..... (disclaimer: this is not a standardized test )

Peter
P.S. Sorry mate - maybe I shouldn't make any more comments until you have your blades - it won't be long !
jestine,

No it does not on my case, it flies just fine with the 400d blades...and i mean just fine!

Peter,

Hahaha! cool! i can't wait to feel that lift but guess what...? i'm doomed! My receiver just died!!! My BOL (my only BOL) was just fine yesterday but today it would not get the servos to respond, they just glitch and make random and laggy retarded movements!!

I thought the servos went bad but i made a series of tests using my other TX and RX from my rc plane wich happens to be the same freq. Servos are just fine, 3-in-1 seems ok. i tried every test you can imagine...swapping cristals, servos from both aircrafts etc, etc,etc,etc.

Conclusion : (and i will hate myself if i didn't get it right)

My rx just gave up.

I ordered another one and well, now i have to see what gets here first..the xtreme blades (left Honk kong on 8-31) or the rx (hope they ship it tomorrow USA 2-3 days)

If i get the blades and this new rx and still does not work........i will just over jump this helicopter so hard that not a single part (except the s skds 300) will remain usable...then i will buy a brand new one!!!

Also i have to confess something...this is actually my second addiction...my main addiction is playing COD4 PC Multiplayer!!! and i'm doing that right after typing this:

Read you guys later, have nice flights!

fernando,
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM
sgbfly

Can you try going back to stock motors & see what happens?

Simon

Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
Can you try going back to stock motors & see what happens?
Hey again Nick,

...Sounds like the spring tension of the brushes in your 380s is to weak to keep a constant contact. PM Gothic - he had the same troubles a while ago - he might be able to give you some tips on how to rectify your prob easily

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 AM
pgroom_68

Hello Peter,
Hey again Nick,

[sm=50_50.gif]Could it be the charger that you are using is not charging the lipo as much as possible? Either post some voltages or try another method of charging - maybe you can use your LHS - tell them your prob and ask if they would mind charging one of your lipos up for you. This would eliminate another factor. Then we could concentrate on the motors (well, you HAVE checked gear meshes, lipos and - by then, the method of charging

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-03-2009, 06:00 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: RC_Addiction
1.-To Fernando,
With the lama 400 blades on your heli, would it cause the heli to drift slightly when flying?
2.-Hey again Fernando,
One thing is for sure - the results back then (aahhh - the good old days ) re. weight and lift and optimums is null & void with the Xtreme blades - they produce heaps of lift!
When my 2.4G bird took off from my hand today it felt like it would have lifted me and taken me away also, if I didn't let go..... (disclaimer: this is not a standardized test )
P.S. Sorry mate - maybe I shouldn't make any more comments until you have your blades - it won't be long !
Jestine,
No it does not on my case, it flies just fine with the 400d blades...and i mean just fine!
Peter,
Hahaha! cool! i can't wait to feel that lift but guess what...? i'm doomed! My receiver just died!!! My BOL (my only BOL) was just fine yesterday but today it would not get the servos to respond, they just glitch and make random and laggy retarded movements!!
I thought the servos went bad but i made a series of tests using my other TX and RX from my rc plane wich happens to be the same freq. Servos are just fine, 3-in-1 seems ok. i tried every test you can imagine...swapping cristals, servos from both aircrafts etc, etc,etc,etc.
Conclusion : (and i will hate myself if i didn't get it right)
My rx just gave up.
I ordered another one and well, now i have to see what gets here first..the xtreme blades (left Honk kong on 8-31) or the rx (hope they ship it tomorrow USA 2-3 days)
If i get the blades and this new rx and still does not work........i will just over jump this helicopter so hard that not a single part (except the s skds 300) will remain usable...then i will buy a brand new one!!!
Also i have to confess something...this is actually my second addiction...my main addiction is playing COD4 PC Multiplayer!!! and i'm doing that right after typing this:
Read you guys later, have nice flights!
Hey again "bouncer",

Rest assured, I also think you have come to the correct conclusion[sm=50_50.gif]

My vote is that the Extreme Blades will arrive AFTER the new Rx! - but only by a few days! So don't jump up & down on your bird until you've tried running BOTH - OK mate?

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
If you are reading this you have made yourself stop playing COD4 On-line Multiplayer for long enough, and you can go back to it now! I'm going to use my Clearview sim now anyway.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.