Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

It is kinda nice to pull out the old airplane. I would bet you will have more fun than you expect getting your plane to fly again.

Yesterday at the field a guys helicopter caught fire while sitting on the bench. It turned out his nickel metal hydride servo batteries were on the charger in the helicopter and burst into flames. Later as we all came over we found that he had his charger on Lipo!!!! Not NMH. His canopy burnt and some of his wiring on the helicopter so while it was damaged it was not seriously damaged.

I am still learning how to use my new iTouch charger and working with my power supplies. Yesterday I charged two batteries in one tray after a flight at a full 20 amps per pack and was able to charge the complete tray in 16 minutes. I could charge faster and for a moment I did and I ran the charger up to 30 amps just to see if the generator and everything would hold and it did. However, I don't want to charge any faster than two C so I can prolong the life of my batteries and their good health. But in the end this shows a NO NEED for a ton of batteries when I can a tray in 16 min. Oh by the way, I was not at a true as I was only charging at 10 amps when really that number should have been 10.6 as the packs at 5,300.

John
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
evdreamer

John,

I just hope I set the CG correct on the Cub. That is one of the weaknesses I have with planes. If I get it right it should be the slow flyer that I remember.

I didn't know NiMh could catch fire, but I guess any battery charged improperly could. That is good it wasn't a total loss.

That is good your charger setup has plenty of power to spare.

Nick
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Wow JPEE,

That's crazy that a NiMH battery caught fire like that...I've had some crazy plane crashes with NiMH and never had them catch fire but I suppose if you use the wrong charging settings they can go up in flames...just didn't know they were that sensitive. Glad the damage wasn't too bad. Do you guys have an extinguisher at your club?

Your charging solution is sounding more and more the ideal situation since most of today's lipo's can be charged at a much higher rate then in the past (when it was necessary to buy many batts for a day of flying). That's incredible that you were able to do both trays in such a short time.

Nick,

Taking the old cub out for another go, huh? Should be a fun and slower pace then your used to, of course the flight times should be longer. Yeah, better get that COG right otherwise you may have a fun flight.

Mark
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I worked on my servo tester some more today. I made the code more efficient and accurate. Then I wanted to know what the servo position is, so I interfaced it with a LCD.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
JPEE

Nick,

That is great progress on your servo tester. That has turned out I think to be one of your best little projects as I recall. CG is real important as you know. I guy yesterday took off in some type of two motor like Beachcraft plane. I could see he was having a hell of a time trying to control it and as I watched more I yelled out to him, do you want me to come out and help you trim, he replied HELLLLLP! I rean out and while he flow I took 20 clicks on his down elevator, then she became a sweet heart. I twas his maiden with tha tplane and he is basically a newer pilot.
Nick, do you know the proper way to check CG?
With batteryin stalled you flip the plane over wheels facing the sky. You use you two fingers under the plane which is the top of the wing where it is highest point and that where you fingers go. At that point the plane should sit upside down on your (2) finger tips nice and level.

Here is some information on the NiMH packs that blew. While I cannot explain the tech end of it, I do know if you run down a LIPO past 3.0 3.3 most chargers will not recognize the battery thus making it "unchargeable". However if you plug it in and tell the charger you are charging a NiMH and you go real slow amp wise the charger will start charging. Then you keep a cell counter plugged into the batteries balance tab and when you see it come up to 3.3 then you change ther charger to LIPO. I have saved lipos batteries from my DX7 and 600 receiver packs that way. Another issue that comes into play are the charging amps. Everything we charge is a 3.7 volts per cell. The only thing that changes is the size of each cell and the amount of cells and how many mAh it will hold. On the other hand NiMH are not the same cell voltage, so it over charged. Had he used a thermo safety probe taped to the packs when it was charging the charger would hav e shut down on safety.

No extinguishers at the field..... but I have one in the truck

I am getting pretty good now with the inverted so I tried my first turn inverted and do poor to fair and then roll ed when I got chicken lol. I just go from left to right pull up and get inverted going back left then I start a slow sweep to the right going out away from myself a little further each time..... me likie

Old 12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
evdreamer

John,

Yeah, this has been one of my more successful projects. There is very little hardware and it is mostly firmware which is easiest for me. There is a guy named CB Dane on Helifreak that created a more advanced servo tester. I am trying to see if I can copy his features onto mine. His had an option to drive the special Futaba tail servos, but I don't have any to test with.

I had an idea how to check the CG on a plane, but never knew where to place my fingers. Thanks for the tip.

What heli did you do the inverted stuff with?

Nick
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Aframomum

Nick,

Do you still have the instructions for the cub? If not, a quick search for CG on your cub should give you the exact measurement from the leading edge...also remember you can have it towards the nose heavy side and still have a stable flier, just tail heavy is not good for stability.

Is the cub flight ready or are you still waiting for a receiver?

Any idea when your Whiplash will be arriving?

JPEE,

That is a good idea for finding CG...never dawned on me looking at it from that way.

Congrats on moving into inverted circuits...are you doing this with the 700? (if so, you are waaay more gutsy then I would be ) Even so, a major move forward and a terrific and gratifying way to end the year!

Mark

Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

My cub was a RTF plane and the instructions never mentioned about CG.[&o] I am going to try John's recommendation.

I need a receiver if I want to use it on my Hitec transmitter. Otherwise I can still use my DX7.

My Whiplash should come on the 22nd.

Nick
Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Aframomum

Nick,

Here's an official thread for the HobbyZone Super Cub (yes, it is a bit lengthy ): [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4371835/anchors_4371835/mpage_1/key_hobbyzone%252Csuper%252Ccub/anchor/tm.htm#4371835]Cub[/link]

Cool you'll have your Whiplast before Christmas.

Mark
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
JPEE

Nick here is the CF from Eflite

Page 47

http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...00_J-3_Cub.pdf
Old 12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

I have added a few more things to my servo tester. I can now measure the receiver Voltage and the signal coming from a receiver. I added a couple of menus to center the servo and move the servo back and forth between -60degrees and +60degrees automatically. I still want to add a dead band tester. I still need a way to go between the menus. I was thinking about a simple push button for that. If the UPS man shows up today my servo tester will be on the back burner for awhile.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
JPEE

Nick,

It sounds like the servo tester is coming along nicely! At least it is a project that you can pick up and lay down when you have time.

However, if the UPS man arrived that is a CODE 3 lights and siren to get to work on the new heli.

I got in 4 flights on the 700 yesterday and now the wind is blowing like crazy again. But that is ok, I will fly again after Christmas, I need a break. I bought a WATT meter that plugs into an outlet so you mcan read how many amps, watts that your buring. I put it on the generator and then turned on my PS and ran the charger to 2C per pack so I was pulling 20 amps on my charger. The draw on the generator was putting out 7.4 amps and 907 watts without even a sweat! I can charge a rack with two packs in 18 min at 2C. With that ability I do not need anymore than three racks which I have. I fly a rack, then fly the second rack, then they hit the charger and while thats going I have my third rack if I get another time up on the deck to fly.

I am getting antsy again and am strongly considering a quad copter. They such fun and you can fly them safely anywhere.

John
Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Aframomum

Nick...did the big brown truck drop off anything?????? (I certainly hope so)

JPEE,

I'm glad that you've been able to get some more flights in with the 700...sounds like you need to take a few days break from flying. That comes from time to time and as always we need to recharge our biological flying batteries.

Hey, your mention of a Watt meter had me look through all my old airplane stuff and viola, I found my old AstroFlight micro watt meter. Basically the same as yours (reads amps, watts, volts, and mah, except for electric airplanes) so you can see if a particular motor/prop combo is over taxing the system.

I find it incredible that 3 battery racks can be used to keep you flying all day...your portable charging system is quite something!

Uh oh, a quad may be in someones future. There was a quad in the video you posted right?

Mark
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark,

Yes there was a quad in that video, a small one

I like that, recharge my batteries. Lol

Yep, three trays will let me fly all day. Of course I have to let others fly and as it comes back to my turn I am charged and ready to go. As I said 14-18 min and I am charged ( "1" tray ) Two trays in parallel take a bit longer. For a single tray I throw 20 amps at it 2c but my iCharger can throw 30 amps at max. So if I do two trays that divides to like 7.2 amps per pack and that is back to 1C. You figure I fly a tray and that lasts 7 min. Then because they are near cool when I land they can be thrown on the charger again. Viola........ I didn't know you played and instrument Mark! Lmao
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Aframomum

Funny man you are JPEE...

okay, I tried googling the word I'm looking for and can't find it. Help please!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 PM
evdreamer

John,

I also have a Watt meter that plugs into an outlet. Mine is called Kill-A-Watt.

I just got home from work and my Whiplash is here. It looks like everything is in the box this time. I will see how far I get tonight.

Nick
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM
JPEE

Nick,

That is the Watt reader I have $19.99 at Frys.

Congrats that your heli arrived today. Dude, pull and all nighter!!!!

Mark, my good friend uses that term Viola often, I love it!

I don't know what work your searching for? But I hope it is clean lol.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:00 AM
evdreamer

John,

The Whiplash is finished. Not quite, everything is dry fitted. I just need to install the TT and make up some links. Then I need to install the electronics. I will wait to do that when I get the rest of the electronics and batteries that I need.

Nick
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 PM
JPEE

Nick,

What batteries are you going for? Are you using a rx pack too?

What servos are you going with, new or something out of another heli you have?

John
Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Aframomum

Nick,

that was a fast build...guess you did do an all-nighter after all.

Got any pictures of your new birdie??

Mark
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

I'm here at work....and figured I'd better send out my holiday wishes to you guys before I forget...

Merry Christmas to all of you guys....hope you have a real nice Christmas, and Santa brings you all kinds of cool heli stuff..

I'm way behind on the thread....I'll try to get back here soon and catch up!!

Happy Holidays!

Glenn
Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 AM
evdreamer

John,

I am thinking about using 2x 6S 5000mAh Chrome batteries. They are kind of new, but they are getting good reviews and aren't too expensive. The guy who designed my Velocity is the guy who is selling the batteries. I will get the batteries last, so they aren't sitting around too long.

Yeah, I am going to use my 2S 5000mAh receiver battery. This helicopter was designed to use a receiver battery. It is tail heavy without one.

I am going to use my JR 8717's and JR 8900 servos from my Velocity on the Whiplash.

Mark,

Yeah, it was kind of a fast build. The instructions weren't as good as my Furion 6. I had a hard time seeing were some of the screws went in the manual. I spent about 7 hours building the first night I got it. Then a couple more hours doing the finishing touches. I dislike the design of the landing gear. There are four separate pieces that attach to the frame and they are really hard to insert into the frame. Then the locking set screws for the skids are on the inside, so it is hard to get a good quality hex driver in there. Other than that it is typical MA quality. Everything is very beefy on this helicopter. It was kind of awkward working with the one way bearing on this, since it is on the pinion side. It took awhile to figure out how to adjust the pinion, so there was no up and down play in it. I drilled two of the holes in the canopy a little off, so I will have to try and fix that without destroying the canopy. The canopy uses thumb screws which I don't like, but I won't have to worry about the canopy coming off in flight.

I will try to get some pictures up when I have time.

Glenn,

Sorry you have to work today. I have been lucky and got this weekend and last weekend off from work.

Nick
Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM
evdreamer

Guys,

Here is the Whiplash. It is already pretty heavy without the batteries. It should make a nice addition for the windy days here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80701.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1704582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69396.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1704583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10299.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1704584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96348.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1704585  
Old 12-24-2011, 02:37 PM
JPEE

Nick,

The new helicopter looks great! You will like how heavy a 700 can be in the breezy days. I did not think I was going to fly anymore and this morning a friend called and said let's go to the field. We got there and the wind was blowing 26 mph. I did not fly but we took up a plane called a Nexstar and mounted a go pro camera to it. The wind was crazy but we did get it up and get it back down so the experiment was completed. Perhaps I will be able to fly on Monday so I left everything loaded in the truck just in case. Take care and you have a great new helicopter and a Merry Christmas😊
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 PM
evdreamer

John,

Thanks. That is good you guys were able to land the plane safely. I rarely see guys flying planes at my field in 15+MPH winds unless they are giant gassers. It has to be hard to land in that kind of wind. Hopefully it is more calm for you to fly on Monday.

I just got done doing some testing on my Deadband tester. My JR servos live up to their rep of having a zero deadband. It barely took a change in the signal for the servo to move. I did the same test with some spare Hitec and Futaba micro servos. The change in the signal was 5-6 times more than the JR servo to get the Hitec and Futaba servos to move. I am sure having a lot of fun with this project.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.