Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some pictures that I got of Atlantis:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 023.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1906669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 022.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	885.2 KB
ID:	1906670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 060.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1906671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 062.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1906672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 050.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1906673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 059.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1906674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 056.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1906675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 064.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1906676  

Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Aframomum

Well guys, seems trying to log on to RCU has been a bit tricky today...between refreshing multiple screens and making a witches brew I finally was able to log on. Geez.

JPEE,

I've included some pictures of my gear...

the first is the metal trunnion you mentioned in your video (btw, the hobby garage looks great!)...the trunnion has 2 grub screws (1.5mm hex wrench will work) that are supposed to hold the landing gear pin in place. I discovered this rather late as my gear kept moving up in the trunnion essentially hitting the worm gear and blocking the backside of the trunnion so it wouldn't retract after take-off. Worked on the bench but as soon as she hit the runway it was enough to push the pin up and prevent the trunnion from retracting.

Since the grub screws are unaccessible when the gear is put together you will have to position the pin, tighten one screw, partially screw the unit in and see if everything retracts nicely. If there is no interference, then take everything back apart, and tighten both grub screws down. Took me a few tries to get it.

Also on the lubing of the worm gear, silicon spray. Most guys recommend it since it really won't attract dirt and junk as oil will. This is the case where a little really goes a long way.

Ouch, expensive gear you got there. I would definitely do the tack weld and straighten out the damage gear and use it but don't retract it...just leave it down when flying. Also, next flight out...go by yourself and shoot touch and go's the entire flight. Take off, go around, and set up for landing...then repeat. After I got my gear bugs worked out I did just that and feel much more confident in the handling at those low speeds.

Last, take off those darn gear doors. Just temporarily but see if that has any impact on the retract issues. Yours could be a multiple of checks causing your retract problems in the air (the pin and maybe door interference). I noticed lots of wierd things happen when you get a good airflow going over those strut/wheel assembly. Right now I just fly without the doors and haven't had any retract issues...I may do some more sugical foam removal later on but for now I'll just do without them.

And I also had to cut a section of foam from my canopy so I could slide the battery back far enough for a good CG. Some guys went as far as using CF rods or balsa to reinforce it but mine seems secure enough to leave alone. I did add 2 rare earth magnets so the canopy won't fly off in flight and it was a good thing as that weak clip in the back doesn't hold very well any more.

Mark

Name:	Retract 005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1906891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 010.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1906892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shuttle Atlantis 011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1906893  

Last edited by Aframomum; 08-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 AM
JPEE

[QUOTE=Aframomum;11587887]Well guys, seems trying to log on to RCU has been a bit tricky today...between refreshing multiple screens and making a witches brew I finally was able to log on. Geez.

JPEE,

I've included some pictures of my gear...

the first is the metal trunnion you mentioned in your video (btw, the hobby garage looks great!) THANK YOU...the trunnion has 2 grub screws (1.5mm hex wrench will work) that are supposed to hold the landing gear pin in MINE ARE PRESSED IN, NO SCREW I discovered this rather late as my gear kept moving up in the trunnion essentially hitting the worm gear and blocking the backside of the trunnion so it wouldn't retract after take-off WHERE THE PIN STICKS OUT OF THE TRUNNION MY LANDING GEAR LEG IS 5 MM AND SLIP OVER THE PIN. THEN A GRUB SCREW LOCKS THE TWO TOGETHER. IN MY CASE IT COULD NEVER BACK UP IN THE GEAR WORKS, AT WORST THE PIN COULD PULL OUT AND THE LANDING GEAR WOULD BE HANGING LOOSE UNDER THE PLANE. Worked on the bench but as soon as she hit the runway it was enough to push the pin up and prevent the trunnion from retracting.

Since the grub screws are unaccessible when the gear is put together you will have to position the pin, tighten one screw, partially screw the unit in and see if everything retracts nicely. If there is no interference, then take everything back apart, and tighten both grub screws down. Took me a few tries to get it.

Also on the lubing of the worm gear, silicon spray. Most guys recommend it since it really won't attract dirt and junk as oil will. This is the case where a little really goes a long way.

Ouch, expensive gear you got there. I would definitely do the tack weld and straighten out the damage gear and use it but don't retract it...just leave it down when flying. Also, next flight out...go by yourself and shoot touch and go's the entire flight. EXCELLENT ADVICE Take off, go around, and set up for landing...then repeat. After I got my gear bugs worked out I did just that and feel much more confident in the handling at those low speeds.

Last, take off those darn gear doors.YOU BEST ADVICE YET. SO SIMPLE I DID NOT SEE IT. WHY JEOPARDIZE MY DOORS OF WHICH THERE ARE TWO PER WHEEL! Just temporarily but see if that has any impact on the retract issues. Yours could be a multiple of checks causing your retract problems in the air (the pin and maybe door interference). I noticed lots of wierd things happen when you get a good airflow going over those strut/wheel assembly. Right now I just fly without the doors and haven't had any retract issues...I may do some more surgical foam removal later on but for now I'll just do without them.

And I also had to cut a section of foam from my canopy so I could slide the battery back far enough for a good CG. ME TOO, QUITE A BIT IN FACT. THE FIELD YODA TOLD ME TO GET THE BEST CG YOU CAN. THEN FLY THE PLANE AND GO INVERTED NICE A LEVEL. THEN LET GO OF THE STICK AND SEE HOW THE PLANE REACTS, DOES SHE PULL UP OR GO NOSE DOWN AND THEN RE-ADJUST FROM THERE Some guys went as far as using CF rods or balsa to reinforce it but mine seems secure enough to leave alone. I did add 2 rare earth magnets so the canopy won't fly off in flight and it was a good thing as that weak clip in the back doesn't hold very well any more I'll use some dry silicon spray on the landing gear too. One video I watched, he suggested white lithium but like you say....... with a gasket on the servo halves dust will get in there.

Your Shuttle pictures are excellent. Like everyone else I am still learning the nuances of how to navigate the new and improved web site. Though they show that little blue square down in the bottom right corner, I found once you open a photo you can just click again and it blows up in a big way. As you said, you can count the tiles and see every detail. Thank you.

Question, when you take off are you inputting elevator to get the tail asap? or do you give some or any and let the tail come up and then pour on the beans to get her up?

Thanks for your suggestions, your the best! JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 08-12-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

To answer your question on take-offs...I used to just gun it thinking it would get in the air faster but that used to get me in more trouble then anything. The torque coming from that prop would just take her in a sharp left heading usually just clearing any brush from the side of the runway (actually it is a street for me) as she lifted off.

I would use flap setting 1 (15% flaps) and give full elevator when doing this and as it would work it was hairy and not scale at all. Too much taking off with 3D type planes where you pour on the beans and she's in the air in 4 feet of runway type thing. Does not work for warbirds.

My last flight I tried a different tactic and slowly applied throttle, still using 15% flaps, and let her get some ground speed before giving any amount of elevator and she rose ever so slightly but it was completely controllable and, very importantly, straight down the runway. It was my best take-off and I felt I found the way.

Hope this helps you. Did you get your parts already? I did an order with Motion a few days ago (prop replacement) and am amazed at their fast shipping - they really are my FMS go-to place!

Mark
Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark, thanks so much for the tips!

I finally had to cut out all of the foam under the canopy and take out the little pilot too to be able to slide the battery way back to my gain a much needed better CG location. To go back for a moment, my flies flies the FMS P-51 bubble canopy model. They recommend up to a 3600 mAh pack. He put in a 4200 and it flew fin for him so that is what I bought. Well it turns out it is for my 51B fuse 97 grams to heavy in the nose contributing to much of my landing problems.

Once I replaced the landing gear I took off all related doors for the time being until I master this monster, you gave me sage advice there. I also did a prop mod to increase the pitch because before she had to be flown at full throttle to be stable. On Wed I took her back out and Mark, I could do no wrong. Getting that CG perfect was the ticket for the most part. These Warbird wings are different to fly than my T-28 and my old Apprentice wing over trainer. I took off and landed, took off and landed. I did a ton of touch and go landings and just could do nothing wrong. I was so happy I was still smiling when I went to bed. The next day I went back and just worked on my landings. The wind was blowing harder than before and at the head of the runway there is a 3 foot raise in the ground surface plus brush in the river bed. So when I came in at motor off and tried to glide in like the day before like glass.......... the updraft right there from the raise in the dirt from the asphalt was making and upward draft and that lifted the nose as I flew over it and it stalled me and I bounced down and this was after several attempts land too but she was in safe. Pack two................... same thing happened and in the end I tried over and over to land to no avail. So to get past the updraft I decided to "fly her in under power" and elevator her down after that bad draft area and the wind still pushed up the nose and started to stall, I throttled her a bit she bounced and then banked left and cartwheeled again! CRAAP!! Took off a 1/4" of foam on the end of my wing light which is a 20 min CA fix. Come next week I'll be ready to go and get back out there and master this (donkey)
plane wind or no. I am committed to win this fight. Again thanks for your suggestions and input.

1. Get touch up paint 100%
2. Leave off the landing gear doors 100%
3. Perform prop mod 100%
4. Take off suggestions 100%

Mark your at 400% on the help meter! THANKS. And yes Motion Industries are THE BEST, my parts arrive timely as well.

BTW you can click this three times and it get bigger each time

Name:	IMG_0621[1].JPG
Views:	89
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1909239  

Last edited by JPEE; 08-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

These warbirds can really get under your skin, sorry about your rough landing. Hope you got her fixed up and ready to go again. We heli guys sometimes do get spoiled with the FBL and large airframes to deal with moderate winds whereas with planes, well...not so much so. Glad to hear you had a good wind-less day to practice touch and go's.

I've come to the decision to not fly my Zero if its breezy out just b/c I've already experienced the wonderful stall and slam landing. Another reason to bring my heli with me just in case. Speaking of my heli, I've got a few more nights of working on her before I'm done. Need to put the 2 frame halves together, complete the head, setup the beastx and I'll be ready.

Other than that not much going on...still hot but we get afternoon storms each day so provides a nice cool down. My son starts school tomorrow morning so looking forward to getting into that routine again (ie. lots of flying time after the AM drop off!).

Have a good week,

Mark
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Yes I got my wing repaired on Friday and then yesterday I found the that the motor mount was a bit loose in the foam. I hung it nose up and then dripped CA down in the mount area to soak in between the foam and the plastic mount. That has dried over night so I am good to go. Boy oh boy have I ever worn the new off of this baby.

Great idea to bring a heli with you so "if" the conditions are not right for the Warbirds you have a back up.

Our weather has been at or nearly 100 daily, not something you want to go stand in out on the asphalt tarmac. I got pictures of the grand kid at 7:00 a.m. this morning with three of them via iPhone. One off to grammar school, one off to middle school, and the last is off to her second semester at Collage. Man are they growing up fast.

Take care and have a great week!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Sad to see RCU heading in this direction...it really has become very user-unfriendly, I hope Glenn and Nick will still come by once in a while.

Took the Zero out this past week and had a few flights. My first flight I forgot to set the timer and was actually enjoying the flight so much lost track of time and hit LVC on my final leg. Landing wasn't pretty...scraped the prop and bent the gear. But I said to heck with it and threw the other battery in and flew regardless. Some days it works and some it doesn't. Need to reglue the motor firewall from vibrations (scraped prop I'm sure) and work on the landing gear as one retract may be shot.

Did a compilation video for you to enjoy my painful journey with this warbird...and to let you know your not alone!

https://vimeo.com/73065093

Mark
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM
JPEE

Good Morning Mark,

Let me open with something uplifting before we get into our War Birds. Yesterday I took Joe to the Air Field to try his Bixler again. To take you back one episode, all of the trims I have been putting into my radio were not moving over to his during buddy boxing. Last week I bought a like new DX6ix from a nice guy on the Forum to put together with my older DX6i. I had to input all of the same trims and rates, kinda cloning my radio to to a tee. Once done, then I locked on the Bixler on the bench and checked all movable surfaces for center. Then I would lift the transfer switch for the BB and make sure everything "did not move" when his radio was engaged. Once that was accomplished we were ready for the field. We lucked out at 7:45 am. there was not the usual cross winds over the runway. I took off the Bix and once airborne gave it over to Joe. He flew like a angel! I felt so bad he has been flying and had so much trouble because when I thought I had cut his rates I had not due to the two radios not being totally compatable. He flew 3 ea. 15 minute packs and had a ball. Next week we will take out the T-28 and I'll give him a second chance to fly that. OBTW, I let him take off the Bix from the runway once too, like me he snaked around a bit but that plane is sooo forgiving he was up in the air in seconds. As you fly off of that bluff in the video I sent you the up-current lifts you, pretty hard to crash.

NOTE: I just notice on this pane you can make it bigger from the bottom right corner to you can see your whole posting, much easier to follow my myself as I type.

Warbirds:
As I have told in the past on a few occasions "your tips" have been very beneficial to me. There have been times I have gotten "mad" due to the lack of being able to fly this P-51 with ease, especially the take offs and landing as you well know. After watching your video, I am ashamed to say this, your video made me feel better. Knowing that I am not alone helps, as the old adage goes.............. misery loves company, well I am with you Mark! My field here by the house has 2-3 ft high weeds and boulders on each side making it a "crash" if you don't get up straight and before the end. My field 2 where I fly with Joe has 100 yard mowed short mountain brush area pre asphalt runway as you might have seen in the video. The tail end of the runway has a bit less, 30-40 yards then you go off of the cliff into the brush. You can climb down and fetch your plane as long as you didn't fly off of the end, then out a bit it is to steep to repel for your plane without help and a rope. Yesterday a guy was flying an inducted fan jet and upon landing blew out the runway and took the 100 yards of approach (landing from the end towards the front due to wind changes) and ran out of flat surface and was about to hit the fence when he tried a turn and she was saved! His plane was flying at the 120 mph rate. Anyway, your fly area is 200% for your helis, but for the Zero which pulls left from the torq it is a tuffy to say the least. Your curbs and brush are of no help either. Seeing the man hole cover thing is not surprising. I have goofed my blades up too trying to input elevator on take offs too. I have been talking to guys who fly these birds and am trying to absorb their input. Some say don't input any elevator for the reason you hit the cover, they say the plane will lift on its own when it hits the speed required, then and only then input a wee bit of elevator. Others tell me they use their flaps on take offs. The thought there and it is pursuant to the wing type you have that flaps down cause "up lift" and a small flap input can extend the lift off of the top of the wing too rather than full flaps. I have gotten to the point that is a minimal issue for me, the real problem is the plane pulling left and here is my idea. I am going to try a "mix" and see if I can get some RIGHT positive rudder and elevator mix so as I run down the runway and I can input some elevator and the rudder will counter the motors pull and then once off, flip that mix switch off. I am going to experiment with my radio to see if that can be done first, if so then put the Bix on the bench and see the input in action. I have that honking beauty hanging now because we are at near 100 degrees every day and to let the sun get up out of your eyes takes till noon and its just to hot to stand out there. I wanna crack at her BAD.

Take care
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM
evdreamer

John,

That is cool you got a custom computer.

Mark,

That is cool you saw the rocket launch.

I hope all your children/grand children enjoyed their first week of school. I go back to school tomorrow. I am taking all electronic classes, so it should be more interesting than gen-eds.

I got invited to fly at a big annual Labor Day show, but I have to work during it. However, I will be able to attend the helicopter only event the following Saturday.

I have become interested in stock picking now, so I have created a program to screen stocks like I do with mutual funds and ETFs. Instead of using up memory with a database I just have the program get the prices from the internet. It takes hours to go through a few hundred stocks, but it keeps from filling up my hard drive. There are websites that help screen stocks based on fundamentals and I am trying to improve my code to screen for risk and growth better from those stocks.

I still try to check RCU everyday even though I don't post as much as I used to.

Nick
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM
JPEE

Hey Nick, how nice to hear from you!

Clearly you have a lot on your plate with working and school. If you get some hot stock tips let me know, I might need to augment my retirement lol. I did home trading for a few years and made some money, nothing to shout about, it was fun but it took a lot of my time to tack stocks and work the portfolio. I sold off everything is except two stocks and they grow slowly and will be left to my kids for their future in this trying economic world. I hope school this semester is more enjoyable for you too. I also hope you can steal away and fly on the Saturday Fun Fly too. You read my post so you know all that is going on over here in HOT SUNNY California. Been near 100 every day, my electric bill might cause me to go to Walmart and become a greeter for some cash..................................lol

Take care
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

Glad to hear from you. Yeah, its been a bit rough trying to deal with the new RCU but things are getting a tiny bit better. Still not liking the new look though...

Hope your core courses are much more interesting to you then your gen-ed courses.

Good luck with your market software development, sounds very worth-while.

JPEE,

Got all your vids but need to watch them at home as we have no sound card on our computers at work. Very interesting development in the mix you were able to do with the elevator - rudder...I'll have to see if my DX7 can do something similar.

Don't feel bad about feeling better after seeing my video, just wanted you to know your not the only one having difficulty. I am extremely glad my first full warbird (flaps and retracts) isn't the typical wooden model with nitro engine as was the norm several years ago. It would definitely be in splinters by now. Foam is so much more forgiving.

I'm hoping to get out this Friday morning to take the Zero out again. I won't say the weather has been cooling down but I am finding the mornings a bit less humid and more bearable, so we'll see if I can go through another set of props.

Hope things start to cool down for you, hey Fall should be coming soon! Sure wouldn't want you to start greeting just to pay for cool air.

Mark
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
JPEE

Your a hoot is what you are lol.

Joe flew 5 packs today on the Bixler nearly back to back in the 93 degree heat and wind. He is growing so fast. I did bail him out a few times but he is fearless.

I sold my dx7 but I no you can do same, it has mixs too but there was a bit to do in the set up. P

smiles
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Scotts CP

Mark,
I am amazed at the speeds you are landing your Zero at, it looks really fast! When I was flying planes some 20 years ago landing speeds were half of what your Zero is landing at. Gotta love tail draggers on the tarmac, grass is so much easier!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Aframomum

Hi Scott,

Your absolutely right about the speed this thing comes in with, I land with flaps down so that helps to slow it down but I do fear the stall characteristics it has. I did have a bad outing early on with it where I slowed it down too much and it tipped a wing and went nose first on approach. So now I land with some power on and will deal with the long run-outs.

As JPEE has noticed the slim wing differs much from the large air-foil I'm used to flying (ie. a Twist and Funtana style plane)...with those I could literally angle them up to a near stop and land at my feet with them. These large warbirds need to be 'flown' to landing as I'm finding out.

More practice is definitely needed to get that sweet spot of lower speed and confidence in landing. Plus the 'obstacles' all around my flying area don't help either, but its all I have for now and will have to do.

Mark
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Looks like they got I.E. 10 working better now, as I can actually start new lines now..

Time flies, I can't believe how long it's been since I checked in!

JPEE,

Glad to see the grandkids keeping you so busy! I bet it's nearly a full time job there...

Hope your weather cools down a bit...and I know all about high A/C bills here...

Nick,

Glad to hear you are keeping busy with the new stocks, and making the associated programs work to help you out.

Hope you have fun flying at the event after Labor day.

I dabbled in commodity futures (only on paper!) for awhile...and didn't have much luck...seems more like controlled gambling than investing to me...hope you do well with your stocks.

Mark,

Glad to hear you got some time in on the 130X...they certainly are a whole world different than the MCPX's, eh??

I did fly, about 2 weeks ago, got in a few on the MCPX, and 2 flights on the 130X, but was restricted to a small, shallow field at the race track...the 130X actually likes pretty big flying areas, but of course, you can keep it close in as well, the beauty of the 130X!

I have not yet tried inverted on the 130X yet, as I'm a bit rusty...that's where the MCPX comes in...I'm HOPING to get some flights in this long Labor day weekend, weather permitting, it's been kinda miserable here weather wise, with it being either too hot, or too wet...

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend, and get some good flying weather....I'm anxiously awaiting FALL...I'm tired of this heat and humidity!

Scott,

Good to see ya online again, don't be such a stranger!

Take care,

Glenn
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Aframomum

Hey guys,

JPEE,

My camera that I use for my video's is a point and shoot Canon model, not the keycam you were thinking of. I had to replace my original keycam as the battery died from sitting for months. I use the new one for aerial footage from my foamy wing but not for taking regular video.

I'm guessing that you haven't had the chance to try out your radio mixes as the weather sounds to be too brutal out there. I was planning to take the Zero out last Friday morning, even charged batteries, but once I stepped outside it was just too miserable to try flying, so I discharged the batts and put the plane away. Maybe we'll get some cooler weather sometime this week?

I've been itching to finish my 550...just need to sit down and get it done as they say.

Glenn,

Thanks for checking in...I hear you on the heat and wanting Summer to be over.

If you got your 130x out, I wanted to pass a tip I discovered on HF...the settings listed in the manual are very mundane and when you flip your 130 over you'll quickly discover this as it goes over very slowly and the negative pitch is like -6 degrees or something close...barely enough to maintain a nice inverted hover.

If you extend your endpoints for Aer, Ele, and Pitch this makes a huge difference. I think for my Aer and Ele I went to 115, can't remember what I ended up on pitch. Either way it wakes the bird up.

I did a goof last week with mine, hit the tail on the pavement on take-off and spiralling up she went. Happened so dang fast that it landed on the pavement head-first. Blah. I fly over grass to try and prevent a bad crash but take off/land on concrete so this was a major crap event. Good thing for Labor Day sales so I was able to pick up replacement parts...not too bad a $25 crash.

Hope everyone has a nice LaborDay weekend,

Mark
Old 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

Mark, thanks for the update on the camera. Your field videos really look good. For the most part really no flying with every day since I can remember it being near or well over 100+ daily. I haven't taken the 51 out since I repaired it. The mix is in and works on the bench. The true test will be, how much rudder is needed in the mix to keep her fairly straight on the take off.

I stacked the T-28 on a landing after Joe flew her at 7:00 am. before it got to hot. I had lowered the duel rates so low for him that the runway crosswind got me on landing and was taking me into people and the pits so I had no choice but to dart her before she got an closer. I have examined what happened and Joe's skills and now have taken all short throws out, duel rates out, so we will start flying this Thursday morning at 100% on elev, rudder, aile. As far as the damage goes a little glue on the tear-outs on the wing to let it come free from the fuse with ease rather than let it break itself, scotch tape on thin cowling with a drop of CA and she is fine for the most part. I did however loose the motor and prop! A new one is order and should arrive by Friday. The reason I lost the motor is, either after the crash I left a tiny bit of throttle on or Joe bumped up a wee bit while he had the radios and we walked up on the crash, that is when we saw smoke! Of course I thought it was the battery, but it was not. When we walked up the motor was smoking, the winding's were all shorted and it was red hot to the touch. So Joe and I are down the his Bixler and my 51 for now. I would rather test my 51 at my field first where there is no cliff go over like Joes field. My field can only be flown in the afternoon with the sun behind you, so with this heat I am not doing any afternoon flying.

Name:	securedownload (1).png
Views:	76
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1916403   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.png
Views:	74
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1916404   Click image for larger version

Name:	KABC-7DAY_IE_w450.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1916409  

Last edited by JPEE; 09-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Aframomum

Tragic day in our heli community...

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=561927

RIP and prayers to his family.

Mark
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
JPEE

Also to those that were with him and lived the tragic moment, their lives will never be the same either. We must pray for all envolved and certainly heed the lesson here.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
evdreamer

That is sad to hear about the tragic death of that kid.

It seems like everyone is having hot weather. It isn't very fun walking to school in the heat, but it is better than freezing in the winter. I have survived the first two weeks of school. My digital class is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I have to create proofs for equalities that are challenging. My signals class is difficult like I thought it would be. So far my magnetism class isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I am finally learning about FETs in depth. I am learning how the physics work with a FET and why they are called N-Channel and P-Channel. Now I am learning how to model a FET in a circuit.

I didn't go flying on Saturday at the heli event. The heat index was in the triple digits and it wasn't worth driving 2hrs to only fly for 2hrs.

There has been a lot of turnover at my job lately. I was hoping to stop working full time during school, but that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

I might join an airplane design team at school. A guy at my job is friends with someone in the group and they would like me to help out. They design RC planes to compete in various challenges. They need someone that is a part of AMA to fly in the competitions. It sounds like most of them are mechanical engineer students. They usually meet when I am working, so I will see how that works out.

John,

That is cool Joe is progressing quickly on the planes.

Nick
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

Sorry you could not make it to the "fly". I agree it was too hot with too much humidity both of which would have made for no fun at all

What do you mean, walking to school, you just bought a new car.......... have I missed something here? Sounds like school this year will not be a cake walk, even for you! I know where the FETs are on the ESC but I don't know much about them, how they work or what their function is. Sound like the FET's are giving you FIT's lol. Does the staff turn over at work effect whether you work part time or not? Are you saying that because there are not qualified "others" now there to work more hours, you have to cover those hours?

If you can join the design team for a plane that would be so cool, I think it while there is work involve of course it would be a diversion to the rest of your studies, perhaps let you unwind a bit there.

This Sunday I tool my Dell tower over and gave it to my Joe so he would have a computer for school and I gave him my Real Flight SIM too. I'll bet the little has callous's on his thumbs by this Friday lol

Today with my new but crashed last week T-28 I went back to the field. Just as a reminder, I had cut back the duel rate so low for Joe that after we flew the plane I had to land it. When I came around the wind carried me and I did not have enough ailerons to come out of it as I was nearing the pits, so I chose to nose her in for all concerned. It cost me a $50.00 motor and prop and all of the rest of the minor foam damage I repaired.

As you can see our field is high up above the freeway on a bluff. When I had to dart the T-28 last week I was on the red line on left side. Today with the T-28 and the Bixler I flew 5 packs doing nothing but take offs, touch and goes, and landings. I now have the confidence to land in any direction with the wind and with either plane. But with that all said, both of those foamy's are hard to land because they are so light. I may be coming in nice as you please............. and then a breeze will come cross wind and carry me around the runway but I did it! time after time. Also an older senior pilot helped me tweak the radios and when we were done I now have 85% duel rate on the ailerons and 20% expo across the board on everything. Both planes now handle much better. It is amazing how experience helps out... lol. Today a guy that is the top flier there and has 425 planes, yes your read it right 425 had purchased a used plane this weekend. He went through it Saturday and flew it there and a landing gear failed. He made those repairs and brought it back today. Well a "nightmare come true". This big 40" winged nitro craft was flying pretty as you please and then he YELLED.............. I lost connectivity, he had nothing. He had the plane in a left bank flying CC when he lost it. We all stood there helpless and watched it circle the field and ever so slow loose altitude and come down. This took 5 minutes at least. Then it dropped down below the bluff and we heard the crash. We have shoves and fire extinguishers on the runway fence line because of the dry brush. We all ran to the end of the field and there it was 50 yards down. We hiked down and and it was a total loss, plane wise. The motor and electronics survived it looks like because it came down in a big monster bush and it was about 2 feet off the hillside. The balsa was toast. My goodness, talk about feeling helpless..................... that was the horrible part. Sorry for him but my day was a great one. We got to 88 today which was great. No A/C today all, but starting tomorrow it goes back to the 100's again. 101-2 this weekend and next week.

Name:	Field with arrows.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	1919015   Click image for larger version

Name:	arrows 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1919016   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.png
Views:	73
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1919017  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

I can't believe it today but the heat seemed to let up a bit and esp the humidity...it was actually nice to be outside at 6 PM. Very nice for a change.

Nick,

Sorry to hear your classes are getting more difficult but looks like your getting close to the end right? How much longer before you graduate? Are you close enough to school that driving isn't worth it?

Cool that your learning about FET's...maybe in time you can send CC an article and explain to them why their FET's keep letting out the majic smoke. He, He.

I hope the plane design thing works out for you...and it sounds like you'll be the one flying since you have AMA? Even better!

JPEE,

Sorry to hear about your bad approach with the wind, doesn't sound too bad except for the motor. You may want to adjust the dual rates so it will be tame enough for Joe but when you need the extra throw it'll be available. Your flying area seems to have that nasty crosswind that makes landings...um, interesting.

I bet the sim will help tremendously...better watch out, little Joe might be hovering your foamies soon!

I think this is the second story you've talked about having someone lose all control of an airplane...the first (if memory is still working) had the airplane slowly creep upwards in a large circle until you all couldn't see it any longer. Now this one slowly circles until it went in. Scary stuff for sure, at least no one was injured.

Guess the NY incident has been on everyone's mind lately...they had a mass hover this past Sunday in his honor. A nice sentiment for sure.

Be safe out there,

Mark
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM
evdreamer

John,

My school is in down town, so I park my car in a parking garage and walk a ways to class.

Three of the people I work with have two jobs, so they only work a couple of days a week. Then one other person and I work full time. That is just enough to cover all of the evening shifts on the weekdays and all three shifts on the weekend. We hired a new guy, but he is training on the first shift and will probably be there for a month. Once he is trained one of the other guys will quit. We used to have another person, but his position was never filled.

Does that guy have receivers for all those planes? That sounds quite expensive and I would think he wouldn't have much room in his house for anything else.

That is cool you are feeling better about landing from both directions.

Mark,

I have four more semesters left before I graduate. That is if I can get the classes I need each semester.

I live about five miles away from school.

I read on Helifreak or somewhere that the trace lengths on the FET drivers were too far away from the FETs. With the high frequencies of the switching and the trace lengths caused the Voltage at the controlling pin of the FET to be too high and was breaking down the FETs for the CC ESC's.

Yeah, I probably would be doing the flying for the design team. They haven't contacted me yet, but I have been busy with homework so I am not in a rush.

Nick
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

No he does not have electronics receivers and all of those planes a lot but not all of them. He is a widower and lives in a home that the only room there is not an airplane in his his bedroom but the rest of the house and all of the garage are full of airplanes floor-to-ceiling. We have another guy similar to that that his garage is full with a subfloor in the ceiling clear up to the rafters with the ladder then on the floor of the garage he's left one isle and a workbench and everything else is airplanes helicopters chargers radios by the closets full to the ceiling. Talking about being a true blood 100% of the core RC flier........ hey?

Sorry you have to park so far from the main campus and walk in the grueling weather be it cold or heat and humidity. Someday you'll have a job inside at a desk or in a lab where you won't have to deal with the environment for the greater part of the day. If you come join us in sunny California! then you'll have nice weather inside and out almost 365 days LOL.

PS: he was flying Fatuba FASST too!

Take care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.