Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKMZXCUjpzk&feature=youtu.be Hi Guys, sorry for being so distant but while in AZ for the month of Nov and then another week just last week using my little HOT SPOT I am limited on uploads. Yes I could have posted text but that would have been so bland without photos. Now at home I can upload and do what ever I want yippee!

Just to let you both know I think of you every morning when "we" watch the news and see the weather for both of your homes, as well as Glenn's place too.

I hear you one flying the 500 or any heli around your son, he is to young to respond to "HIT THE DECK" or get behind the car for a safety margin. It is always better to be safe than sorry. From time to time you'll just need to steel away and get in some time alone. Perhaps when you fly the Zero he came come with!

Scuba gear, sounds neat. I have always appreciated underwater diving, and video. However, when the water gets over my ankles I run like a 12 year girl towards the sand lol. I'll watch your adventures on YTube. I hope you can get all of the gear you need to have fun and to be safe as well.

Nick, when I worked at the State Univ the football teams training center was outside my office. I would see those guys lifting with only a spotter! I think all of the safety percussion's in the cage and bench are worth any price! there have been many that have gotten hurt loosing a control of a barbell or pulling a squat and have their back or a muscle let go and that's it, your big time hurt or worse. After Christmas when you get out there to do your thing, the major part of safety will be automatically be there for you.

We spent all of Nov nearly in AZ having fun. With so much to do and days of wind that would be fine for the 500-700s we just didn't fly out planes. I got the P-51 all together there and repairs made for what should be a great flight when we return. Meanwhile, with no place for all of my fly stuff and tripping over it in our Toy Hauler we bought another trailer in AZ. We bought a 16' (box size) Crago trailer with a drive up ramp door for two reasons. Our goal is to buy place there in AZ. Once that is done "when the right place comes at us" we will sell the Toy Hauler and then we will need a trailer to bring the RZR car and little 80 Quad bike, clothes and grub and such down there from home. Meanwhile, when I ordered the trailer I got a 7" ceiling (so I don't bump my head on the roof ribs) and 7' width inside and 16' for plywood floor, mucho space-o! That is my new shop and hanger for my toys. Other's there are so jealous, we are tickled. Next, about once a month we take Cargo trailers and our RZRs and go and hour away to new mines and canyons. Now what do I do with all of my stuff. Welllllllllllllllllll I just bought a used like new utility shed 10x6 where I unload the trailer into it, lock the doors and off we go for the day. When we get home I am not taking the whole fleet out of our sleeping area in the Toy Hauler anymore. When I get up the next day I drive the car out and transfer the RC stuff and I am good to go. We are tickled with this system, perfect......no, but it all works better than anything thing else we could do. Right after we left the shed came of sale and the guy said it has to go with three days, CRAP. My buddy saw the deal and jumped on for me and paid the guy off but we have only been home for 6 days and I drove back to made the foundation and level the area for the shed. Wife was down with a virus and still 12 days later has a sneeze and cough :-(
To further exacerbate the situation was that when I got there is was butt cold with this stupid snap crossing the country. I was up on Monday morning at 8:00 am. in a 5 layers working in 27 degree weather with wind! But I did take one hour a day for driving my Crawler with the fella's. I have to admit I was shy about the new transmitter and the little wheel to steer with. To my surprise in 5 min I had it down, I felt like a natural, no bragging, just saying..... ya know. Now the guys that run car track that go all-out............. no way can I play with them.

We did go on a 60 mile drive once during that week and we (the guys) saw a heard (about 5) wild horses running in the hills, they were spectacular!!!! Here are a few pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIUM9c5Bglc Ok I have a short video loading then I come back and add it. BTW I am the lead car here
Smiles JPEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1326.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1948959   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN1373.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1948960   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN1370.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1948961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	1948962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1948963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	1948964   Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN1204.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1948965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1187.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1948966  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1154.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1948967  

Last edited by JPEE; 12-19-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
evdreamer

John,

I got my weight cage last night and assembled it. It is pretty heavy duty. It is rated up to 1000 lbs and shouldn't shake like when I rack my barbell on my current bench. My new bench is supposed to arrive tonight. Now I just have to pick up my weight set and I should be good to go for a long time. I tried to do some pull ups last night. I forgot how hard those are and was only able to do two of them. The last time I did a pull up was in middle school.

There is some cool scenery in AZ.

Those rock crawlers are pretty cool. RC cars have come a long way since I got my first one.

Sorry to hear Judy has been sick.

I am finally done with finals. My last two were really hard.

Nick
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 PM
JPEE

Hey Nick,

You weight lifting cage sounds even better now. As I said before, SAFETY is paramount! Holy cow, it's rated at a 1000 pounds are you nuts, :-0 !!! in a good way? That's HUGE! That's like brakes on a car. You get the best knowing they will last half the rated time but your still within a good safety margin. When you say "pull ups" I am gonna say that is a chin-up right. Chin-up has your hand palms face you and a pull-up your hands face away...right? My adult daughter has been working nearly 60 hours a week and she took one class at a JC in business. She thinks she got a B in the class but is waiting for the grades to be posted. You on the other hand carry a monster load so I can see why the finals are so tough and the dynamics of your classes are far deeper than business too....... so I hear ya Mr.

Yes the crawlers are fun and I like them because it is slow fun. My Grandson Joe has waited for me to come home for a month so he can fly. He texted me tonight to say......Grandpa, school is out for winter break, like I didn't know that right. So tonight I am in the shop and watching two chargers bring up 10 ea. 2250's packs for his Bixler and maybe the T-28 which it depends where we fly (asphalt or dirt) which will be decided but what the wind is doing tomorrow, which way and how hard she blows.

Thanks for your kind get well's for Judy, today the doctor released her to full active duty! Yahoo..... she even cooked dinner.....LOL Now, if we both can stay healthy for a week or so until we leave back for AZ we will be tickled LOL.

Take care and Merry Christmas to our Band of Four here!

John
Old 12-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Nick,

Your weight lifting equipment sounds really nice, plus as JPEE pointed out safety is paramount when working out by yourself, ie no spotter. Looks like you just need the bench and pick up 300lbs of weights - do you have a weight tree for it all?

Sounds like your going to have a fun time Christmas week with celebrating Christmas morning then spending time on Saturday with the family. We are thinking of driving around on Christmas Eve to look at the Christmas lights people have put up. We have a few houses that are major attractions as they really go all out, so those will be definite stops.

With my 550 purchase this year and now scuba diving...my cc hasn't seen much relief.

JPEE,

Are you crazy????? You sound like you are making a third home out in the Arizona desert! Don't you have 2 homes in California? Seriously though, you guys are having a blast out there with the open land and beautiful landscape - why the heck not. And it looks like you have a great group of people to spend time with there also, which really is the most important part in the grand scheme of things. I bet the nightsky view out there is spectacular.

Glad to hear Judy is feeling better and is getting back to 100 percent.

I bet your Joe has been anxiously awaiting your return - I hope tomorrow morning's weather is a beautiful A+ flying day. Are you taking your 700 along? RC vehicles...Isn't the trigger type handle transmitter used something to get used to - no neckstrap required! Looks like you were handling that crawler with ease over some of those rocks.

My little RC car experience was with a nitro buggy type car that you would race around parking lots and such. One thing you really had to watch was the heat that engine got as it had almost no cooling so your full throttle runs had to be very short or you'd wind up with a seized engine. But it was fun to run over the streets and jump over dirt hills.

You and Joe have a great time tomorrow tearing up the open skies!

Mark
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

Yes we have two home in Ca and the RV parked in AZ on "our" annual RV Park Pad. However, because it gets 127 there we bring home the RV around April 30, that's when it is starting to get toasty! Just now I ordered a second battery which again I swore I wouldn't do for my Crawler. I bought a Venom ROAR approved on a deal from Tower Hobby, but Helidirect is having such a sale today the battery....a 50C 2S 5000mAh was already reduced plus 15% more off today I couldn't let it go.

Joe, well that's a story to share. AS you said he has been itching to get back out there. A couple of days ago I took the Bixler and the T-28 to his house. Unfortunately the wind was blowing like you wont believe. So I said lets try the Bixler in an open area by his house where we fly from time to time. Well I launched that puppy and I had to fly wide open into the wind, once making my turn I could shut off the motor and the plane just hauled butt with the wind until it was time to turn again and head into the wind again wide open! After I felt he could take over on the BB I gave it to him. He made several laps as instructed to deal with the wind. I felt so good with skills I was looking around and not at the plane. Then I hear those words TAKE IT! I looked around and the plane was inverted and heading down fast, there was no saving her, though I tired. She darted straight nose in When walked up to the wreck I patted him the back said................you have graduated to another level, today you are a man.......you had your first crash lol. I didn't want to boy to feel bad, he one of those tender hearted kids rather than a rough and tumble type. He was ok so we looked closely at the plane before I touched it. The top of the fuse was broken off from behind the canopy including the motor and behind it going to towards the tail, then the right wing tip around 25% of the wing was snapped. I have seen this on other planes before. I think when flew into the wind full bore, made his left bank harder than I would have and with the left wing down the right straight up the fuse or the wing snapped sending the plane out of control down. All of the planes components were in perfect shape! Now when old grandpa bought the 1400 mm Bixler I just had a hunch this might happen somewhere down the line so I had a new Bixler II 1500 mm here in the box that has flaps too for that purpose! So we spent the day running around getting what we needed ( two more servos for the flaps ) glue and other stuff as my "parts inventory" are are in AZ After watching several YT videos I find even the 1500 mm Bixler has it same weak points so shortly I am running to the LHS to get some more CF rod material. I also will use the "clear" fiber glass strengthened packing tape in those critical spots as shown on the videos. Here is the BUMP so to say. The flaps servo pockets in the wing face the same way. So when you active the flaps one goes forward and the other goes backwards!!!! After reading and watching more YT I have to take apart one servo and reverse all of the wire inside on the motor and on it cable. So last night Jason brought me his soldering station with a fine fine tip for this task. In case your going to ask............... why don't you reverse one of the servos in the radio, you can't they are on a Y from one channel and............. I dont have time to order a servo reversing switch you put inline for that once servo. They cost $9.00 and plus shipping and I am leaving around the first again, this is the best resolution at hand.

Meanwhile, yesterday I picked him and we went to my field as his again was fogged in. We low and behold NO ONE was there, the gate was locked. What a stroke of luck!!! because the sun was still to low to fly (its in your eyes) we stood at the end of the runway and flew over part of the field and the parking lot...works for me. Joe flew 6 packs and was in heaven! I want to get the Bixler done and let him fly it again before I leave..... I hope.

The high winds are with us for 3 more days sadly I say.
http://youtu.be/EKvmjyr00-U

Merry Christmas to all JPEE

PS: Speaking of your CC I am glad you don't shop at Target!

Last edited by JPEE; 12-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Aframomum

Guys,

Wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and hope everyone is having a great time with family today!!

Mark
Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Hope everyone has a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Sorry I haven't been online much, but hopefully more often in the future,

Hope all is well with everyone, and have a Happy New Year as well!

Glenn
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 AM
Aframomum

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

George made out like a bandit for Christmas as he got some cool toys and a couple RC cars...we were out running them up and down the street most of the day yesterday. We also fired up the grill for some steaks and lobster tails with a side of marinated vegetable kabobs - good eats!

JPEE,

So AZ is going to be your winter playground for now on...enjoy! You guys definitely deserve it.

Sorry to hear about the B. crash but as you explained to Joe, crashing is just an unfortunate part of flying and now he's a graduate. Wind is always a neg factor for planes, now heli's...not so much so anymore. That wind you guys are having out there is wicked, but it sounds like you got 1 good morning out. I didn't realize the Bixler was a 1500mm plane - I bet it is a very stable platform.

Interesting issue with the flap servo only set one way in the wings mold, at least you have good soldering skills to redo the motor wires on a servo - I'd probably have to do the reverser route in that situation or do some foam surgery.

A few days ago I took my son for his (daddy too) first helicopter ride - full scale! It was one of those tour heli's that use an R44 to fly you around siteseeing. What an experience to fly inside something I've been flying the model equivalent all these years! To say its unique is an understatment - nothing like flying in a plane. The sound was deafening from the blades above you (even though we had a headset on) and there was none of that lift you feel as a plane takes off - really wierd. The most interesting part was when we did a 180 degree banking turn - talk about a very strange feeling. It puts into perspective some of the forces our little heli's go through.

Some pictures to share, and the ball is Epcot from an aerial view...

Mark

Name:	DSC_0022_#5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	1951387   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013_#5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	1951388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030_#4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	1951389   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0035_#1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	1951390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epcot Center2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1951391  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM
evdreamer

John,

You are correct with the hand position with the pull up and chin up.

I would be exhausted if I had to work 60hrs a week. I got my final grades and I did a lot better than I expected at the beginning of the semester in my signals and magnetics class.

Mark,

I don't have a weight tree yet. Right now all my weights are on the floor.

I had my first fried turkey at my sister's house on the 21st. That was pretty good. I had a pretty good Christmas morning watching movies with my sister's family and taking a nap after eating turkey. Work was pretty slow on Christmas, so it was fun being lazy there.

It sounds like your family had a good Christmas.

That is cool you and your son got to fly in a helicopter. I enjoyed my helicopter ride in the Ozarks. A co-worker of mine is a pilot and he said if you wanted to do some site seeing in new places to go to an airport and ask for an introductory flight. He said it is around $50-100 and is usually cheaper than going to a site seeing company and you get to fly the plane.

Nick
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 PM
JPEE

Hi Guys,

Well well, so you ate good and laid around hey Nick? Well good for you............. it's not like you do that more than 5 days a year right? Other guys your age stand before their parents with their hands out for gas money, a car, college tuition, and more. You work a lot of hours, buy your own car and hobby stuff. It makes me smile that you are on such a good path of "earning" both money and good grades and respect of those around you, no self entitlement there mister! Glad your Christmas was a good one and that you got to see the rest of the family too. Gotcha on the pull-ups and chin-ups, thanks. Deep fried turkey to me is better than the old oven way. We had the cooker and I had it waaaay far back in the yard so I would not burn down the house like you see on the You Tube videos if I made a boo boo some years ago.

And YOU Mister Mark, what a great dad you are!!!!! What a great father and son accomplishment, two guys out for a serendipity! My buddy here took about that same ride in a two seater Robinson. He videoed the entire flight with two cameras and he still blew both camera cards and had to pull out a back up. After 10 minutes into the flight the pilot let him "fly" with both of them holding controls. Once he was used to everything the pilot let go and gave him full control. In his video I can see the pilot sitting there taking pictures and video with his phone down towards the ground and you can still hear the live feed from their headsets. This was no BS job. The pilot did have to work with him on two points, stopping in the air and hovering and landing. When they got close to the ground the wash really play the devil on my buddy so the pilot took over and brought it in but he was also explaining as how to avoid that. All in all he had a great trip. Then a week later he did the same thing with a single engine Cessna type "piper cub"? He said that was fun too BUT.................. he has since gone back and flown the heli again. He admits that at this point in life, 60+ that it would cost to much take lessons and "try" to get certified, its out of the question, but these little flights work well for him. For Christmas my former wife gave our grandson, yes my Joe and flight ticket for probably a Robinson like you flew in that flies over the movies stars homes, Hollywood and the Hollywood sign, and the Malibu Beach for about 30 minutes. The little guy is stoked.
Yes Mark, the old Bixler was a 1400mm and the new one is 1500mm. I finished it today but............ the flaps issue had become and wee bigger issue for me and here is why. After taking the one servo apart and making the soldering mods as shown on two videos I set it in the wing pocket "dry" and ran a test. It killed the other servo! The short (version), the one having reverse polarity killed the good one temporarily. What I wound up doing after hours of experimenting was to put one flap on the receiver in AUX which is used for the flaps, the other I had to plug in backwards + - to the gear channel. Then I went in the radio to the MIX settings and told the radio to tell the GEAR to move with the AUX FLAP input and WA-LA she works perfectly. This all came to me as I sat there making ready for a foam surgery when the light came on in the old brain, hey............ if I can mix ailerons and rudder to help Joe make his turns, why can't I do this. As I said, it took awhile to figure out the rates and reversing both servo actions and + - polarity but I got-er done my friends.

Here is AZ

We had a nice Christmas, and I wish you all Mark Nick and Glenn a (in this order) Healthy, Happy, and Prosperous New Year!

JPEE

PS: I don't know what happened with the pic showing up twice and I can't remove it, oh well.

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1952399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1952400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1952401  

Last edited by JPEE; 12-29-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Aframomum

Guys,

At work right now but wanted wish you all a Happy New Year!! (yeah, a bit early I know )

Mark
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark, Nick and Glenn,

Thanks for the New Years good tidings!

I took Joe's Bixler to the field for a maiden and final trimming of the moving surfaces by myself. The plane was nose heavy and wanted to bank left. A senior Pilot friend of mine was there so I asked for his skilled hands and I let him fly it. We found the the battery tray in the plane while roomy was not allowing the battery to come back far enough for a proper CG because of a hump in the frames floor so to speak. So I will hot glue some Styrofoam so the entire battery area is flat and smooth and that will take care of the that. However, the left banking even though the flaps and ailerons were dead on both wings my buddy said.....there is a problem. He asked me if I did the "lateral "CG...... HUH??? I said no..... He showed me on the table every time he tipped the wings until they were level and let go the plane tipped left again until it rested on the table. He said the left wing is heaver than the right one. Now that is possible by how much glue I used to put in the servos, how much fiberglass reinforced tape I put on the wing (bixler reinforcement) as well as the spar that I slides into the wing could have caused this imbalance. So tomorrow I will be making that adjustment and then she should fly true. Another thing they do is fly a plane inverted and let go of the sticks and the plane should have a decent glide pattern, if not......should it roll or start to nose in quickly then the CG's are off. I would have never thought to set a plane on the table to see which way the wings tip.............. learn something every day don't we.

Today I got the deal of a life time. On a non advertised sale at Hobby People (they had to have invited you via a special email (I was) they had their 2200 3S 30C packs on sale for $10.14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends here use them and some are three years old and still kicking too! I did some net searching asking how they are the surprisingly have a good rating. My old yellow Rhinos are 3 years old and "they" are what I fly in the Bixler and the T-28 and they still come in cool. I think the saving grace here is...... I gather them when I come home and put them on the chargers and place them in "storage mode" rather than leave them at 3.7 something and not perfectly balanced sitting on the shelf. That little bit of extra work and has kept them viable and when it is time to charge them they come up fast!

Happy New Years again..... JPEE
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 AM
Aframomum

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great New Year's...JPEE - did you do the surf and turf with lobster and prime rib again this year?

Work wasn't all that bad plus we shot off fireworks with the little guy before I had to go in yesterday. He is really getting into the fireworks celebration, going to the fireworks stand and picking out what he wants then watching them that night. We even let him pick out what he wants us to light next. For now we are keeping it to fountains, tanks, and other small spin-ny stuff (and sparklers), but none of those morter type launchers yet. That'll come in later years...

Nick,

Hope your enjoying winter break and had a good New Years. I've only tried fried turkey once and it wasn't all that bad, but I do prefer to stuff the bird so frying is kinda not possible for me. Have you had the chance to try out your new work-out equipment yet?

JPEE,

Congrats on finishing and maidening Joe's new Bixler.

Yep, planes need two CG's measured as you found out. Hopefully not too much weight on the one wing and it'll be set. Did you get a chance to try out the flaps on it, esp. with all the work needed to get them to work? Be careful with the inverted suggestion, the wings on that plane may not want to stay in the inverted position very long, ie self-righting? I think that suggestion works for certain type of airfoils.

Good catch on the lipo sales, not too bad for 2200 pack so time to stock up.

The other day was very nice weather-wise, temps in the 60's with some overcast and I was kicking myself the entire morning as I had nothing to fly. Absolutely nothing ready to go. I took my son to a nice shopping plaza post construction site so he could ride his big wheel and as I'm looking around at this place I'm thinking this would be a good place to fly - lots of open space with roads already paved, no buildings and some occasional light poles and trees. A small plane or 450 size heli would do good, but not my Zero...much too large for the space.

So already been through a 500 and 550 and having no place to fly due to size constraints I decided to back step a bit and revisit the 450's. And since I got to see the new Dominator that Align has come out with at the Orlando Heli event last month decided to order one. (And since this is a new year decided to let my wife know before making the purchase so to try out some New Years resolutions I've been meaning to keep ) So now the waiting game for the package to arrive. Plus this 450 swings 460 size blades and runs on 6S so this should be interesting.

In the meantime I do have a mcpx that needs a rebuild overhaul and a stryker that needs some glueing done to get airworthy again so that will keep me busy while I'm waiting.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 01-02-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
JPEE

Hello Boys,

Mark,

No we did not do surf and turf this year for a first time in memory, why? We did a Prime Rib on the Dec 23 for guests and we were beefed out lol. So we got a Honey Baked Ham and did Sweet Potatoes, yumers to the third degree! My Daughters and their youngster's did the Rose Parade live. My daughter gets tickets to a Company private area right there on the parade route with free secure parking and a great view. Hope your New Years was a good one too.

The Bixler: that two CGs makes perfect sense but I jest never gave that a thought, so that proves you need to learn something new everyday in this hobby. Got the plane refitted on both CGs and I reworked the battery compartment so I can bring back the battery to achieve that desired CG. She is a bit gutless with the extra oz added to the motor on this bigger plane. I just got back from the hobby shop and they do not have larger pitched blades on hand, I will have to order from APC on line to get what I need. I was using 6x4 and I need a 6x6 or 6.3X4 or 5 to get the push I need. While going over this with Jason I noticed (thank goodness) a very fine crack in the prop blade either from the crash or possible stress. So I bought a "like" 6x4 for today which flies the plane but I need more power. At least I can do the CG check today.

Have fun working the MCPX and the old Striker, that will give you something to so inside while it so cold there. Old Glenn must be dying up there in, man are they getting it. OBTW congrats on the new 450..........460? blades how cool is that my friend You smaller construction site sounds promising for something smaller to fly, and heck.............. your son must be in heaven with the big wheel there!

Take care I'll post once we get settled again

John
Old 01-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

I just checked the weather and see that Monday is going to be seriously cold for most of us. Take care everyone, esp you Nick and Glenn in those northern areas and stay warm.

JPEE, you and I are going to get cold but nothing like what they are forcasting for the northern states.

Mark
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I am enjoying my winter break. It would be nice if it was longer. I have to go back to school on the 13th.

I have used my new workout equipment 12 times since I built it. I try to use it every other day. I like all the adjustable holes. It is easier on my joints for lifting the bar doing different workouts.

That is good your day at work on New Years wasn't that bad.

Did your new heli arrive yet?

I had New Years day off, so I wrote some computer programs. My stock screener that I wrote last year takes about 12 hrs to download all the stock prices and then process it. If I wanted to do a different calculation and I had to start the process all over again. So, I finally created a new database on my laptop to store all the stock prices for the past 4 years. I found a more efficient and faster way of downloading the stock prices, so I wrote code for that. Now I have a little over 4.8 million stock price records and 5200 different stocks in my database. Now it only takes 2min to process 2600 stocks. Before I hid the results from stocks that didn't meet my criteria, so I decided to see what the rest of them look like. I found some that had 100+% annual returns and some that lost the total value of the stock.

It was 7 degrees when I went to work this morning. I got around 1in of snow a few days ago. My battery struggles to turn over the engine when it is that cold out.

John,

That is cool you maiden the new bixler.

Nick
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

It sounds your going to get all "buffed out" with the new weights. You are absolutely right on skipping every other day when lifting. I learned that a life time ago, you body needs a day after hearing down the muscles to rebuild them. Good luck on that.

Your Stock Market code you've written sounds great. Talk about compressing large numbers of information to make it manageable! Now you just need to throw a few dollars (you can afford to lose) into a fund a buy a few shares of your choice to see how you would make out. Yes, you could do it paper but in my opinion, watching a few dollars grow would be more fun.

Take care and I hope you getting through this blizzard safely.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
evdreamer

John,

My muscles have gotten a little bigger since I started lifting a year ago. My strength has increased a lot. I keep a record of how much I lift every time and it is interesting to see where I started at and how much progress I have made. I used to lift every day when I first began and that caused a lot of pain that took a long time to recover from. I also didn't have a good lifting technique that caused pain. I am hoping that this will help prevent heart disease and diabetes when I get older. I am still learning what workouts work best for me, but it has been a fun challenge.

I started buying individual stocks last August. Right now I own 7 stocks. Half of my picks have been winners and the other half have been moving sideways. With time I think they will do pretty good. They have been more volatile than my index funds, but they have the potential to outperform my index funds. I have plenty of time to make mistakes and learn from them. It has been fun watching my investments grow.

The weather has been pretty mild here compared to out east. I am glad that I don't have to go to school this week.

Nick
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Just checking in from a VERY COLD Mid-Atlantic...

Last night and today were brutal. I can't remember the weather ever being this cold, although they say it was about 20 years ago...I either don't remember it that well, or I'm just more sensitive now that I'm older (probably ....

I know Nick knows how it feels, but we aren't used to this kind of cold here. The thermometer read 3 degrees this morning when I left for work. The car had a hard time starting...struggled to turn over, but it started.

They said with the gusty winds, the wind chill in the DC area was 20 degrees below zero. I can't put it into words how cold that is, so I won't try....I just can't imagine how it is in Michigan, Minnesota, upstate NY, etc...where it was 45 below with the wind chill.

Thank goodness it's only one day...supposed to be in the 50's by the weekend...that'll feel like a heat wave...

Hope you guys are doing well...take care!

Glenn
Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Aframomum

Greetings from the frozen continental US!

Dang is it cold, and I won't even imagine how you guys up north are handling it...probably just trying to stay inside and keep warm.

Glenn,

Sorry to hear about having to brave the cold weather in the morning going to work. At least your work bays are inside and heated. I'm sure this weekend will be much nicer (and welcomed) with the warmer weather.

Nick,

I have to say I am quite impressed with your computer engineering skills and being able to develop a program that can do all the stock tracking that you mentioned. I remember a friend in college that would spend hours each day scouring the paper to track his stocks - your method sounds much less painful and more successful. Terrific job!

I had the feeling you had already been using your new equipment. Glad that it is much easier on your joints and helping your technique.

Enjoy your freedom as much as you can before the dreaded January 13 date.

JPEE,

That is surprising that your Bixler uses a 6X4 prop for that size plane. My stryker uses that prop, except a pusher instead of a 'puller' (?). I also found a hairline crack in my APC 6X4 so when I did get over to the hobbyshop I wound up getting several extras just to have some on-hand. Did you know that if you put a pusher prop on backwards it will still fly, just a bit more interesing? Yeah, found that out the fun way. Funny trying to fly the plane like it has an elephant on her back.

Honey baked ham and sweet potatoes is a good way to ring in the New Year too! The parade sounded fun and I'm sure your daughter and the grandchildren had a great time.

Well, I had the chance to take the Zero out last Sunday, a new site for me - one of the few subdivision construction projects going up around here. Kinda nice as its only a 10 minute drive and they seem to be concentrating on laying sewage pipe at the moment so no houses going up yet. It is a huge development so it may be a while which will be nice. They are listing houses in the 1 million range on their advertisement - wow!

The zero flight was great. I think I finally got my battery placement exactly where I want it, no tip over on landing. The area is totally open so I was able to do full throttle high speed low passes...no light poles or dirt mounds to worry about. Just WOT nearly the entire battery pack. Yeah, not really scale speeds but lots a fun. I do believe I will need to get a few more batterys!

To answer your question Nick, I did get my new heli over the weekend. Lots of nice changes from the Pro I used to have. Glenn and JPEE will appreciate this - the servo layout is much different in this one...no more having to remove the bearing block just to get to the servo's. Now they mount to the sides which is much nicer. And the motor mounting from the top plus the sliding battery tray...yeah, really liking this design that was usually only seen on the larger 600 and 700 sizes. Got a couple pics to share...

Take care and looking forward to warmer weather soon!

Mark

Name:	450L 017.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	1955345   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 020.jpg
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1955346   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 024.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1955347   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 026.jpg
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1955348   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 027.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1955349   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 029.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1955350   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L 031.jpg
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1955351  

Last edited by Aframomum; 01-08-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
JPEE

Hello Boys,

Glenn,

Good to hear from you as always. We all have been fearing for your guys on the east coast. My life time friend lives in Columbus Ohio. They are from here but marriage and jobs forced them to move. Any-who they love it and know like you how to cope. They wrote and food...overstocked, gasoline.... both cars full and, power...they have a monster generator that fires every Friday to stay loose and it was fueled up too! They have their HVAC service twice a year before the two big seasons so they feel they are ready. But when it is time to take the dog out for "business" he he he.... they suffer there man.

Mark,
The newly designed 450 DOMINATOR looks like a home run to me. I really like what they did with the frame for strength and as you pointed out.....it is easy to work on and maintain too. The servos placement is spot on compared to our older 450 Pros. I still have stored in a drawer......really..... and a new one in the box, no electrics stored as well. They are both HKs, but the built one flies to fast and is nimble it scare me to fly it anymore lol. On the box it says 6S, it that thing really going to use a 6S pack? Or is that just a model or version number? I just looked it up and the spec sheet says she flies a 4-6S pack WOW! Mark when you take that thing up you'd better keep your eyes on the ball there mister! ! BTW I found these stats on a page and they contradict each other. Once says 2-6S and the other says 4-6S Hummmm
RCE-BL45X 45A Brushless ESC Specifications:
Continuous Current: 45A
Surge Current: 60A for 15 seconds
Supporting Input Voltage: 2S-6S
BEC Output: 5~6V, current 3A (Peak 6A)

Needed To Complete:

• 6-Channel (min.) Helicopter Radio System (transmitter & receiver)
  • (1) Pitch Gauge or Digital Pitch Gauge
  • (1) 4-6S LiPo Battery Pack (1100~1400mAh)
  • Compatible Battery Charger

I guess they could mean the ESC will go 2-6 cells. Anyway I love it and wish you the best with your new heli in your new fly zone

Nick, as Mark said, your stock program is BOSS! Yes you do have to take win's and loss's when they come in the stock market game. I think I told you some years ago I dabbled too but I found the stock market so fixed with insiders I gave up daily trading. I still have stock in an Electric Public Utilities Co, and major "vehicle" company. I hardly ever look at my sheets. They will both be here when I am waaay gone. Then my kids can cash it in hopefully use it towards their retirements with the way the world is going today.

Take call all
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM
Aframomum

Did some more work on my 450 last night...basically the boom section and TT. My tail servo and battery arrived today so I'm looking forward to getting the FBL setup done this weekend.

To answer your questons JPEE yes this does use a 6s, but with only 1250 mah its just a tad bigger than a 3s pack. Align made 2 versions of this heli - one a 3s and the other a 6s. The 3s version comes with a motor with a larger kV (3200) and the 6s comes with a 1800kv motor. I think that is the only difference.

I decided to go with a CC Edge 50 as I liked the data logging that I messed around with on the 550's Edge 100. It was nice to take a look at all the parameters that were measured throughout the flight.

I hope the weather has been warming up for everyone. It was nice walking out this morning and not having to dress like I was in the artic. I can deal with the clouds and wind but not that bone chilling cold we had this past Monday.

Mark

Name:	450L Build 019.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1955930   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L Build 017.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1955931   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L Build 018.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1955932   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L Build 021.jpg
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	1955933   Click image for larger version

Name:	450L Build 022.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1955934  
Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thanks for clearing up the battery questions. Well.........she looks nearly done in the photos! You picked some good batteries there mister. Hope all is well around the house. We are fine now after 27 days of Judy getting over the "crud" that is going around here. Everyone is sick. now that she is well we try to stay out of the public so to speak and carry hand sanitizer for public places. In your profession I am sure you understand. Three of us were going sloping (me with my Bix) but the wind is howling here and will be for three days at least. So its back to the garage to goof around and some TV to warm up.

Smiles JPEE
Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It is good to hear from you again.

Mark,

I had my first probabilities class today. I have a professor that I like, so that will help. It was 45 degrees, so walking to class was pleasant.

I saw a cool stock fundamentals program a few days ago. The company charges $120 minimum/year for it. So, I decided to re-create their program for free. I created a program that can take the information out of the balance, income, and cash flow sheet and store it in my database. Then I created another GUI to show the calculations on a graph. I got the bulk of the programming done. I am trying to learn how to do the rest of the calculations that the company's program has. The hardest part I am working on is to create a graph with the fair stock price valuation. I never worked with this much data before in school, so it has been fun learning to deal with it efficiently. I probably won't be able to work on the program anymore since school has started.

That is cool you have a new place to fly your zero and have started building your new heli.

John,

Yeah, I am at an unfair advantage to insiders and hedge funds since they can control the price of the stock.

Nick

Name:	fundamentals screener.png
Views:	76
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1957335  
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
JPEE

The TJX Companies, Inc.
NYSE: TJX - Jan 13 4:00 PM ET
62.91-1.14 (-1.78%)
1d
5d
1m
6m
1y
5y
max

Open
High
Low

Volume
Avg Vol
Mkt Cap

44.74B

OH OH! She slipped a bit.

Just kidding around with you Nick. Your sheet is clear and straight forward, congratulations. I hope your future plans for the spread sheet come together, you haven't failed yet so I see no reason why you won't nail this down! I think it is extremely important that a student respects and likes the Professor. It makes everything easier. During my 35 years of working at a Major State University in Residential Life and Housing Services Dept. so many of the students would tell me their Prof's "were just phoning it in" is as they say. How can a fresh mind learn from someone they don't respect.........they can't. To be fair, we had several of the Prof's living in Student Housing with an open door policy and students would visit them in the evenings for help and direction........... that's the ticket!

I took off my old prop a 6x4 from my new Bixler II, again which is 1500mm and was from the old one 1400mm and found a crack in it! The Bix II came with a 7x5 YIKES but when set on the motor it was to long and wanted to dig down through the tail section under the motor thus possibly letting the fuse snap in two! The 6x4 was gutless on the bigger plane and that's what prompted my to look "back" into the prop that came with it. So I got smart and made some tight measurements and trimmed 1/8" off of each blade, 3000 sand papered them smooth and rounded the ends as they were before I snipped them. I have not been to fly since I did this Saturday due to "extremely high winds" here for 4 days, I am hoping Thursday will be my day. But for fun I set the plane on the driveway and popped the throttle once and she slid on the concrete right along. So with the deeper pitch and longer blade I am confident now she will fly better and have the power the smaller Bix did proportionately to its size.

Take care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.