Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you log off I wanted to say CONGRATS! Now I'll go back and read about your day

OMG everything you said is true, she roll at the blink of an eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let start from the beginning. No fault to you fro not having the camera set right might friend, you had enough on your plate making your maiden II. There was more than enough video to see what a FAST handful that plane is. After flying a Zero and then flying this for the first time I think you did extremely well. I was on the edge of my chair "literally"! Hearing your labored breathing also brought me right there with you and I was tense for you. I felt like a co-pilot. When you came in to hot I said allowed, abort full power................ and make it flyby. I don't know what else to say except WOW what a flight. If you wanted speed you got it in spades my good friend. I heard you call out that she has a pretty high stall rate, but you'll lean that better after a few flights, that puppy is not like gliding in the Zero is it? lol

Congratulations again Mark....it was fantastic. A thought, you might consider reducing your ailerons throw to settle her down you've had a few more flights so she won't roll on you "unexpectedly"

My friend Jason just came buy to say Happy Birthday and he brought a beautiful card. Inside the card was a piece of paper with a photo of what he bought me as a surprise!

The new state of the art DJI Gimble for my HEXA! Tomorrow I will buy the GOPRO Black edition to use with it. OMG I was shocked these are very pricey! This Big photo is only a REPRESENTATION, it is not the Zenmuse gimbal from DJI but it will give you the idea. The small pics are the true item.

Take care and good flying there Mr. Mark

PS: Gotcha on the motor pinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1966141   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1966142   Click image for larger version

Name:	download (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1966143   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1966144   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1966145   Click image for larger version

Name:	F550_Emisora.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1966147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1966148  

Last edited by JPEE; 02-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JPEE,

What a wonderful and unexpected surprise for your birthday...I bet you were all smiles!

Just a quick update...had a great flying morning with the Zero and the Stinger. Will post a quick compiled video a little later on but have to run for now.

Mark

Name:	IMG_1343.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1967126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	1967129  

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-10-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 PM
evdreamer

John,

That is good you had an enjoyable birthday.

Mark,

That is good you are enjoying your new airplane.

I had my first exam last week. It was for economics. I think I did ok. I have an art history and probabilities exam this week. I am kind of stressing over those.

I went to a party on Friday with some co-workers. I played poker for the first time. I won a couple of hands, but ended up loosing. I played pool for the rest of the night and really enjoyed that. We all stayed until 3am and were dragging at work in the morning.

Nick
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick,

I wish you luck with your exams next week, I'm sure you'll do just fine with them.

Sounds like you had a good night out with your co-workers. Pool is fun but back in the day most of the pool halls were filled with smokers and not a good place to hang out for too long (if you were a nonsmoker). I don't know how it is today.

I heard that Minature Aircraft closed their doors, there's a thread on HF about it: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=601486 (might want to stock up on your Whiplash parts).

JPEE,

Have you had the chance to hook up your new gimble yet? That is quite a gift!

I got a few more flights in with the Stinger and have to say flying it is like flying a heli...cannot take your eyes off it for a second. The speed it moves and its habit of not wanting to stay stable - has a habit of wanting to roll to one side or the other in level flight - I do have to watch it constantly. But it is a lot of fun and the sound it makes is very cool! I had to mess with the CG a little but have it where I want for both my 3S batts.

I did some editing of my flying from yesterday so you get to see my jet flying and I got some of my Zero's flight. The Zero flight is rather short as I didn't have the camera sitting correctly and had to edit much of it and the jets landing was interrupted as I had a visitor drive up so didn't want to leave the camera recording. You also get to see the flying area that I'm at now and they just installed lamp posts this week so that was fun doing takeoffs and landings with. As you can see my son was having a great time.

https://vimeo.com/86368524

Mark
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That is disappointing to hear about MA. I love my MA helis. I liked that they had good customer service and supported obsolete models. Not too many heli companies do that.

I think smoking is banned from all bars in Lincoln. The two places I play pool at have no smokers.

I had a bad start to my morning. My low tire pressure light came on going to school. I thought my tires were just low from the cold weather. When I parked I noticed one of my tires was flat. Luckily no cars parked next to me, so I had plenty of room to put the spare tire on. It was in the teens, so it got cold replacing the tire. When I got home I saw there was a huge nail in my tire. My brother-in-law can patch the tire for me, so I should be good to go by tomorrow.

Nick
Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Aframomum

Had some problems logging into RCU yesterday so nice they got things fixed now.

Nick,

Sorry to hear about the nail in the tire, but that was cool your car is able to tell you the tire is low on air. My wife's Kia Soul has the same feature, so no more needing a tire pressure gauge. Changing a tire in freezing temps is never a fun thing, but been there and done that so don't feel too bad.

Any word on your economics test? Good luck on the art and prob exams!

Mark
Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I finally have some free time and got to watch your video. That is a huge place to fly and you have plenty of room to take off and land.

I got an A on my economics test. I knew most of the questions on my Art History exam, so I think I did alright. My probabilities test was hard. All the questions are story problems and you have to know what equation to use and how to use it. Everyone was struggling on the wording of one of the problems. I understood the other questions, but I don't know if I did them correctly.

I need to work on a small signal amp for school. I didn't design it and I didn't solder it. My partners and I tested it at school on Thursday and it cuts half of the signal off. I need to find if it was a design problem or if one of the parts is bad.

Nick
Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Aframomum

Hi Nick,

Congrats on the A on the economics exam. I'm sure you did just fine in the other two. What class sizes are your humanities? I got lucky with mine as they were evening classes and so were less than 15 people, but I heard that the main campus had classes in the size of 40 or so students.

I am happy at the moment with the flying site I found although each week I get to see what new stuff they have put up, ie the lamp posts that went up 2 weeks ago and I see they were installing electrical cabling so there are some nice long ditches all along the roads now. I did have a cop show up last weekend to watch me fly so that was kinda cool, now I know that I can be there without worrying about trespassing.

Now that my jet has been maidened I was able to shift my attention to my yet-to-be maidened heli. Although this one went together very fast I've been having some major vibration issues with it. I can't get above 50% throttle before I start getting noticable vibrations in the tail and along the skids. I can get into a hover with it this way but if I try to go to Idle1 (100) she just about shakes herself to pieces.

My first thought was maybe a bent main shaft since it did fall off my workbench while I was building it so I replaced the main shaft - same thing. I then took apart the head thinking the thrust bearings might be cockeyed in the grips - nope, same thing. Checked the spindle and no problems there. I also ran it to full throttle with the main and tail blades removed and no vibrations at all. Ran it up with just the tail blades on and no vibrations. I'm thinking maybe its the main blades but I found the CG on them and balanced them so my next step is to replace them with new blades and see if that solves it. So that's were I'm at with my new heli...waiting for new blades and hoping it solves this vibration issue.

Mark
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

I got an A on my exams in probabilities and art history. My economics and art history class has 100-150 people and my electronic classes have around 30 people.

I fixed the amp I was talking about earlier. One of the parts was put in backwards. I just got done building a simple DC-DC converter to help understand why it wasn't working at school. Some parts of its operations still confuse me, but I haven't done any of the math to figure out exactly what it should be doing. I couldn't get the output to go over 4V at school, but mine at home with spare parts turned 1V into 100V. I could have easily gone higher, but I would start to damage parts.

Good lucking fixing the heli vibes.

Nick
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Aframomum

Hey Nick,

My blades are to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will be the solution to my vibration issues.

The weather has been warming up so I'm planning a dive next month to Ginnie Springs. It has a semi-cave system that non-cave certified divers can explore so that will be cool (a first for me using an underwater light to explore). I'm also hoping to have my old camera and case ready to go so I can get some video of the dive.

Congrats on the A on both your exams. Your classes are much, much larger than I thought.

Sorry I missed the part about the amp you were working on...I guess its some kind of voltage amplifier since it can go from 1V to 100V? Parts put in backwards...guess someone missed that huh? Is this something someone made at home (home project) or is it something that was bought?

JPEE,

Everything okay with you? Been kinda quiet lately...

Take care and have a good weekend!

Mark
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Aframomum

Hey guys,

Got my heli maidened, at least the maiden hover. Seems the new blades helped.

However, for some reason my newly discovered interest in jets is taking over b/c I just bought my second one...a FMS F-18. Man I cannot stop! Its due to arrive from Motion on Friday and I'm super excited to get it put together. Talk about an addiction...

Hope everyone is doing good.

Mark

Name:	11__72057_1383380787_1020_1020.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1972971  

Last edited by Aframomum; 02-26-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Aframomum

My new jet arrived yesterday and I've been working on getting it built. Unlike my last one, this one has all surfaces glued/epoxied in so this build will be a bit slower. I'm also planning to put the receiver in the back section of the fuse so cut an access hatch and plan to use those super strong magnets to secure it, that way if I need to get to it I can just lift it off.

This one is very nice and bigger than my Stinger. The dual exhaust ports really look great. I'll post some pics later on. I still need to get a receiver for it and may actually get a mini gyro for it to try and dial out that unstableness I see with my Stinger that I believe most jets experience. I see Spektrum introduced a 6 channel receiver that includes the AS3X stabilization system already incorporated in it, so that may be an option.

Other than that not much else going on.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 03-01-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

That dive in the cave sounds cool.

The amp I was talking about was built at school for a lab. The other electronic device that stepped 1V to 100V is more like a power supply. I ended up designing a regulated version of that. That was just a home project I was working on.

That is good the new blades fixed the vibe problem.

That is a cool jet. Is the receiver going to be next to the magnets? If so, the magnets could cause interference.

I finally got over a cold that I had for a week and a half. A lot of people have been getting sick here. It is also really cold here. It was 0 degrees when I drove home from work yesterday. A few days ago I barely needed a jacket.

Nick
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Aframomum

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear about your cold - at least your over it now. I'm sure the weather didn't help at all. Hey, when you graduate you could always move either to Cali or FL and not worry about snow ever again. Period!

Gotcha on the electronic amp project and powersupply.

My dive is next Monday - hopefully the location won't be too crowded with other divers. The youtube vids I watched were in Aug and the place was really packed, much different from the ocean diving I'm used to where you only have 6 or so divers in the area at a time.

I decided to pull the rx from my Stinger and use it for the F-18 just to get the maiden in. I can worry about what rx I want to use later. For now I'm eager to get it flying. I plan to put it behind the canopy in access sections I cut out so it won't be near any magnets - but thanks for that tip as I didn't think about it until you mentioned it.

Here's the jet now...I still need to do the wings and will go with the wingtip missiles for now. I may use magnets to attach the drop tank and other set of missiles so I can remove them for flight so they don't slow the plane down.

I guess JPEE's out in the desert again?

Mark

Name:	F-18 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1973996   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18 002.jpg
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	1973997   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18 003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1973998   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18 007.jpg
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1973999   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18 005.jpg
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1974000   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18 006.jpg
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1974001  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
JPEE

Hello Boy's, this is ticked off JPEE!

I have not gotten one email that you guys were posting from RCU that is why I have been dark. I used to get an email every time some one posted, now I don't! I went into the set up and did some tuning today and I a hoping that is the fix.

Boy oh boy a lot has gone on I missed after reading 13 back posts.

Nick,
Sorry to hear about the flat and the freezing temps! I would like to offer a suggestion if I may. On our RZR's we all carry a small 12 volt compressor that plugs into the lighter and it works great and it is from Harbor Freight. We also carry "steel belted plug kits" too. The reason we carry those instead of the rubber which we could use on the RZR is that I can use them on my truck too because the rubber also has steal fiber which move around once in the tire so the steel belt won't cut them off. Here are Harbor Freight "rubber ones. The reason I mention this is, it is faster than changing tire. Then when you get to warm place you can pull the tire and put a boot inside to replace the plug or leave them, I do.

Glad to hear and congratulations.....you did well on the your final! Sorry the other was tuffy for you. The school project where the part got put in backwards substantiates the old saying "poop" happens if you get my drift.

Mark,
Skin diving, Jets, more new Jets, and the old Zero flying............... dude your setting the world on fire! Lets get to it, your plane flights were both and "excellent adventure". When you came in to land on both planes when you swoop in it looks like your going in! I was sitting on the edge of my chair for the entire flight of the Jet, that puppy is real fast and agile. You have to fly in front of the baby because if you don't you won't have time to correct. The new plane looks like a honey too. I think my AZ neighbor has one, but it is big and I "think" it is from Motion to and it is AWESOME as I am sure yours will be too!

Your son George was it? was having a ball in the video.

We are in California. Don't wanna go to deep but after a rough 20 mile RZR night time drive my right arm went numb and got pins and needles several time a day and still I have three finger numb that won't wake up. So a week ago we drove home 4 days after the drive so I could be seen by my Doc's. I have both shoulder overhauled in 2002-2004 one each time. As I said that last ride was brutal so the right one was so sore and was in 24 hour pain I needed a Cortisone shot. So I came back got that and that tamed down the shoulder as it always does. The arm however was tested for Carpal Tunney but is ok. Then he he did nerve and muscle test from my finger to my my shoulder which was brutal. A few times I bounced on the table from the electrical charge he was shooting in me.... This week I am going PT and a MRI to see if a muscle is pinching a nerve. We just jumped in the Diesel and came home. After a week here I had to have my buddy in AZ go grab all of our food in the fridge and use it rather than see it all spoil. Not sure when we are going back, it all depends on the Doc and what turns. I am "hoping" about mid month.

Name:	image_22625.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	1974659   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17145.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1974660   Click image for larger version

Name:	399405_2504668104494_2018557479_n.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1974663   Click image for larger version

Name:	ride start.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1974817   Click image for larger version

Name:	cars in line.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1974818   Click image for larger version

Name:	trail shot.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1974819   Click image for larger version

Name:	night ride.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1974820   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	1974821  

Last edited by JPEE; 03-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Aframomum

Hello JPEE,

I was beginning to wonder if you were having so much fun in AZ that you just forgot about the rest of us! lol

Seriously though, hope you were able to get the RCU settings fixed.

That is quite a procedure that you described concerning the shoulder and arm. I didn't know about the double shoulder works you had in the past. I do hope that the tests show nothing too serious and maybe a few sessions of PT will take care of it. Wishing you well this week. Who ever heard of needing R&R from R&R?!

You guys are really putting some miles on those 4X4's aren't you?

Yes I am finding myself being drawn to the jets now. My experience with the Stinger has been really positive as that is one sturdy airframe. It has taken quite a bit of my 'newbie' abuse and keeps coming back for more. From reversed aerilons, really hot and hard landings, missed runways, to dirt landings that ripped the landing gear off...this plane has seen its share. I am glad that I went this route b/c I'm sure other airframes wouldn't have fared so well.

My son (George) loves to watch my jet fly. I think since it doesn't have any large rotating blades he can really get close as I get ready for take-off and feel the blast of air from the exhaust nozzle, which he thinks is great BTW. Plus being foam I don't have any problems with him handling it.

Your friends F-18 looks just like the Exceed 70mm one with retracts - Red Viper version. You don't know how close I came to getting that brand plane but in the Jolly Roger version. It was the only one I could find that had the retracts and in a 70mm fan size.

But I couldn't swallow both the asking original price ($199) plus the fact that it was only available at one location (Nitroplanes) and they don't have free shipping on any orders. I would have had to add an additional $46 to have it shipped. With all the places that offer free S/H it burns me to think a large company such as Nitroplanes still expects thier customers to pay. Sorry but I can't do that which is why Motion got my business again. I had to compromise as mine is a 64mm fan with fixed landing gear but this is a good next step for me.

My goal for the jets is to get something in the 70mm fan size that has retracts and includes Thrust Vectoring control on the exhaust. Right now I see Motion has a F-16 and F-35 that includes all this. And the price isn't that bad at $200. But for now I want to better my terrible landing habits which is why I'm still keeping with fixed landing gear - they can take my abuse much better than any retract could.

That's all for now. BTW, the sunset picture was absolutely increadible.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 03-05-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 AM
JPEE

Mark,

The PT person was great and very knowledgeable. After a bunch of stuff looking for the right nerve she it and BANG my arm went to sleep! Then she brought it back out. She estimated the problem is in the 4-5th vertebrates. Short story is, she gave me some daily home exercises to do and we'll see how that goes, I feel good about it. Still getting the MRI.

Yes we do cover 4x4 miles there at least once a week. They can go from a 20 mile to 60-70 miles, that we go on. Other have gone 95 miles in day and then are so sore they lay in their recliners for 2-3 days to recover...LOL. Driving down dirt trails is not really to bad but riverbeds are the toughest. Then because of the rocky nature of the are orange size rocks are on the trails everywhere making you get bounced around pretty good. I am considering a nascar, or motocross neck brace for myself to stop my head from being thrust-ed side to side. Right now she has grounded me, I told her I grounded myself, I know when to stop.

Yes young George kneeling down behind the Jet is a non issue for him and as you mentioned it is exciting and yet still safe for him. On the landing gear for the F-18 yes are right even his expert flying has shown the landing gear needed some mods. I am not sure what he did but I remember asking about something I saw under the planes belly where he had to alter the landing gear. 64mm to 70mm you are still gonna have loads of fun with that puppy and be $$ ahead in the long run. I know that landing his plane take a bit of effort, he gauges the wind directions for the day before we leave the house/trailers, he really knows his stuff and everything is important.

You are pretty lucky to have the flying area you do for right now. But once that is gone, you need to consider where will you fly a 65-70mm Jet. He takes a lot of runway when he lands and IF he were to go off the edge the desert scap on each side of the field is flat as the top of my head so he is still safe. You on the other hand have to fight the concrete curbs OUCH. Oh and before I forget, he raises his throttle slow and evenly because if he gets a bit hot with it she starts to wander from side to side down the runway.

That sunset and the sun rises is something we see every day there, one of the many assets of being there.

Looks like my reconnecting to this like worked because I got the email this morning that you had posted YIPPEE..... now I wont miss anymore exciting new posts.

Take care
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

One day at a time right now with that arm. I'm glad to hear the PT is helping and hope that will solve the problem, but as you said they still want to do the MRI to be certain.

I cannot believe you guys go so far on those things, 95 miles must be killer. But I'm sure there is lots to see and well worth it.

Thanks for the tips on the F-18 take-off. For my Stinger I slowly add throttle and when I see her pointing straight down the runway I hit full throttle but keep her on the ground to pick up a good amount of speed before getting on the elevators. I found if I try and get her airborne too early and with little airspeed she claws upward agonizingly. Hopefully the F-18 will be similar in habit.

I know that my current field will probably start having houses built come summer so when that time comes then I'll fall back on my other subdivision that I used to fly the Zero from. That one is about a 20 minute drive and it does have slanted curbs but also tall grass...so double the obstacles. But at least the jets seem to track down in a straight line and not pull to the left like the warbirds do.

BTW, here is my jet all but finished. Now I just need to find some nice weather (and time) to do the maiden, probably next Tuesday will work out for both.

Mark

Name:	F-18_Pics_001.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1975728   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-18_Pics_002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1975729  
Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Yep while it is tons of fun to run the desert, the car can beat you up! What made it worse on this last trip is the RZR Clubs and Jeep Clubs had huge rallies there and with that much travel everything go lumpy, bumpy and rutted, if there is such a word. We are headed back tomorrow morning after my MRI. I'll see the PT gal and the Doc when I get back at the end of the month. But.......I will not be driving the my RZR, I will sticking to flying and messing around to give me neck a rest as it is still stiff after the PT gal about twisted it off LOL.

OMG that Jet looks so so so cool. She looks fast just sitting there. I wish my very best that your maiden and after flights will be primo without incident. That puppy will be fast and as we talked about your going have to be flying with your eyes 50 years in front of her to react fast enough. You know I still never got a change to fly my 51B since I made the repairs in November. My two goals this time back will be to fly the P51 and get comfortable with take offs and landings and..................... fly my new gimbal and get some video this time as well as learn to use that new high fa-loot-in GOPRO 3 with wireless remote lol.

Take care and GOOD LUCK on Tuesday, I'll be waiting for your Post!

Blue Skies and Wheels up to you, JPEE
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,
Just checking in to see how the Maiden's went?

John
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Aframomum

He He, sorry about that JPEE.

http://vimeo.com/89083585

Here's the video I got from Tuesday's maiden. The landing is interesting as it really was supposed to be a touch and go... Not to mention I was trying to get used to not having a rudder on this plane. I never realized how much I depend on a rudder when landing until now. The planes got some power which makes it fast and fun but I noticed the roll rate is a bit slow compared to my Stinger. It glides really nicely with power off, now if I can just line it up on the road my landings would be, umm better.

Also, the foam on both these jets seems better than that found on our warbirds. With the reversed aerilons on the Stinger and the nice dirt smashes that caused to the bouncy and entangled landings with this F-18 I really don't have that much damage to both these birds.

I hope your recovering from that darn PT lady just about taking your head off! Too funny but I'm sure it felt that way.

Let me know how your P-51 flights go and the video you get with your new gimbal rack.

Mark
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys!

Been too long! I was just catching up on the latest posts...I'm way behind, that's for sure!

Not much new here...I'm about to go crazy from this super long winter...it will just not quit! We just got another 8"-10" of new snow yesterday...it's been a rough one, that's for sure. I won't forget this winter for quite some time...

Nick,

Sorry to hear about your recent cold, and the flat tire, glad you could get It patched up quickly. Sounds cool on your weight lifting, and all the new projects too.

JPEE,

Hope you survived the recent earthquake, and those floods OK...and that your shoulder(s) are doing better lately. Hope all is well with Judy and yourself.

Mark,

JETS?? I have to admit, the things look pretty darn cool....just watched your maiden. Looks like they need a lot of room to fly as well...hope you are enjoying them, as it looks like a lot of fun to fly!

Not much to report on from here on the helicopter front....in fact, nothing good. My flying areas are quickly drying up...the Moose Lodge field (along with it's bats) has now been turned into a (nearly completed) school, called "Monarch Academy" ...some sort of a private school.

And of course, my long missed favorite field, with the NO R/C airplanes/vehicles has been long gone...

Now, my fall back place to fly, the horse track....well, I'm not sure what they are doing with it, but it's all cordoned off now with that construction plastic wind breaking stuff...the whole area, including the little park that was there...so I have no idea what's going on there, I've been flying there since I started, with the B400...

I even HAD a backup plan, it was an undeveloped area right up the road from my dealer....it wasn't ideal, by any stretch, (it only has ONE WAY in and out...kinda spooky) but even it, as we speak, is now under construction.

This does not leave me with many options....

So, we'll see, once the weather FINALLY breaks....where I'll be headed...

Hope you guys have a nice week ahead, and I'll try to stay more in touch, just not much to report hobby wise, and this weather really has me down....I need SPRING TIME!!!

Take care, Glenn
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
JPEE

Hello Glenn, so nice to hear from you. I know I say this often to you and the other guys but we think of you, Mark and Nick almost daily when we watch the morning news to see the USA broad weather report. Sorry to hear that your flying areas are drying up. It is just hard for me to think that your area which shows so much open (tree areas) and that they are building like gang busters. Obama must be throwing dollars your way out there because your so close to DC that he wants to show them the fake upward bound economy he his building. Glad overall your doing well as one can in the that cold weather....smiles

Mark, your flight was spectacular! You have to be right on that puppy and you were only cruising, that Jet must "hall the mail" if you let her out hey? For real............ I thought your glide ratio was a good one, I didn't see any type of stall characteristics, she settled in real nice. Don't get down on yourself (I heard you kinda laugh it off) on your landing. I think you did real well for a maiden and that street is no AMA runway in width by any means. Ya done good!

Well we don't have snow but were are in our 5th day of wind, no flying at all. Boy's I am taking WIND with gusts per the News up to 35-45 here. It has me with the same cabin fever your all going through except "we" are in a little RV Box of a 187 sq ft. If I didn't have my Cargo Trailer to sit in to get me out of the Toy Hauler WE'd go Postal on each other...... lol. I am so grateful we bought after we got here. We had a Bon Fire 7 miles out in the dark desert the other night and the wind eased up a bit at sundown so that was nice. I drove the 4x4 Diesel with the food, chairs, wood and such. But no sooner than we go home at 10:00 pm it let go with wraith! The RV shuttered all night from hard winds! Today is much of the same. Oh ...... I almost forgot something positive I did yesterday, I spent a few hours reading.....which I never do.........on how to use my new GOPRO 3 Black with it's wireless remote! I took stills, time lapse, video..... with a narrow frame to take out the fish eye, multi shot at three snaps per one push on the trigger and I got very comfortable with it. Now when I get back (I talked to Jason) we will try to get my Gimbal working and I will be ready. He still has not hooked his up either so he can't walk me through any fixes. What I read on the RCG threads is often the Gimbal is "defective" when it does what mine does, so we shall see when I get back home.

That's it from the South West of these United States of America
Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 PM
evdreamer

Mark,

How did the dive go?

It sounds like you and John have been busy.

Glenn,

It is good to hear from you.

Sorry you are loosing all of your flying areas.

I am not going to renew my club membership. I rarely have time when I am in school and if this summer is as hot as the last one I wouldn't want to go out there anyways. I renewed my AMA membership to continue going to the 1-2 heli funflys/year.

I designed a 4W amp for my first project at school. I need to help my partners write the report, order the parts, and have them design a circuit board. I just finished my 2nd probabilities exam. The math was difficult and my professor doesn't allow calculators. It is weird engineering classes don't allow calculators, but non-engineering class allow calculators. I have spring break next week, so it will be nice to take a break from school. Then I am going to have a difficult art exam the week after.

Nick
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Aframomum

Wow, seems like we got the whole gang back on here!

Nick,

The dive had to be canceled but it kinda gave me time to better prepare my next one. A coworker from my wife's job dives and we are considering getting together to do a dive sometime this summer. Also this gives me some time to get my camera and case all worked out, I really didn't have anything ready in time if I were to do the dive last week. So in all reality it was a relief that it was canceled.

Sorry to hear about the no-calculator rule...some professors have their reasons for thier rules. Maybe just to make a name for themselves with the students! Enjoy your spring break next week.

JPEE,

Thanks for the good words on my maiden. It is a nice looking jet in the air and has nice power.

I actually got a funny story to tell ya about my last flight out with it: last Sunday we must have had the same winds that you had, maybe not that high gusts but blowing nice and hard. Made for all the sand at the subdivision getting blown around like some mad sandstorm. Luckily it was all blowing in one direction...out over the lake behind the subdivision (you do know where this will end up now don't you? ).

I charged up the Zero and F-18 batts earlier that morning (heck the winds weren't that bad at that time). Loaded up both planes but noticed the winds were picking up - going to fly something today I thought. By the time we got there the winds were good. Left the Zero in the car as I knew it wouldn't handle it but decided to do the F-18. Placed her on the ground, lined up with the roadway and off she went straight up and over in a huge oval over my head. I quickly got control and the next 3 minutes I had an absolute blast flying in those high winds. I did a beautiful high alpha approach and dropped her right at my feet landing. Sweet. One more time up...

Yep, those words we quietly speak but should not. Full throttle, straight up and over me, heading out over the lake. Better bring her back. Oh shoot, no more power. She quickly sinks and clips the trees that line the lake shore. I give full elevator and the wind catches her and she clears the trees but with no power all I can do is level her and watch her fall behind those trees - and somewhere into the lake. Drat!

After doing some searching I finally locate her by blipping the throttle. Yep, landed perfectly level and upright in some thick area of duckweed. I have to wade out to get her. In a lake, in Florida, with the knowledge that every lake has gators down here. So I quickly go and get her and after its done I was up to my chest. Totally soaked and no towel. But I got her back and no gators to be seen. Whew!

Is there a moral to this story? 3 minutes for jets really means 3 minutes and no more!! That's all you get...

The bonfire sounded nice and relaxing! I hope your gimbal is an easy fix and that's funny you broke out the instruction manual for your GoPro III since there is nothing else to do in all that wind out there. I do hope it eases down for you.

Glenn,

welcome back!! As JPEE said, it is nice to hear from you.

Looks like you and I share a common problem - loss of flying spaces. Mine always seem to be underdeveloped subdivisions springing back into life with new construction so I get them for half a year before having to move somewhere else. Probably the main reason I gave up on all my large helis. But now that this jet obsession of mine is kicking in my heli's really have been neglected.

I have had luck in the past using Google maps to just look around for possible flying sites, even something small for my mcpx or 450. Sometimes takes a bit of driving to possible locations after work to see if they will work out. Just an idea for you... BTW, do you still have the mcpx and 130?

We are heading to an air show this weekend at MacDill AFB in Tampa to see the Thunderbirds as they were grounded last year, their shows this year are much anticipated. Its going to be such fun! Will post some pictures for you all.

Take care,

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 03-20-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.