Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I ran my old high compression .80 on S&W 15% HiRev fuel today, turning an APC 13x6 at 10,761 rpm. It ran very smooth through 10,550, then 10,650 but around 10,700 I could hear a fluttering sound from the area of the cam box. The engine ran ragged at that point, I can only assume that the lifters were not accurately following the cam. One click rich brought the rpm down to 10,550 and the noise stopped. The valves are set at .002 inch. I had never seen more than 9,900 rpm with any 13x6 before. I had the Saito 100 cast muffler on it and an older H9 SuperPlug.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave:

Does sound like you're running into valve float. Time for a set of springs.

Send it to me and I'll fit the larger ones for you.

Bill.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Hobbsy

WR, I'll get back to you on that, Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish to make a proposal here.

We all know how much William (Bill) Robison has helped us with his never ending knowledge, and good humor to boot. But, truth be told, his camera sucks big time! His pictures generally are blurry, too small, and look like they were shot with a cardboard box camera. (No offense Bill!!!)

I propose, that those of us who truly appreciate what Bill has done for us and the hobby in general, buy him a new and decent digital camera. Selfish ulterior motive aside (it will make for much clearer images to see) Bill truly deserves something in return.

I ante up the first $25 bucks. We need $200 bucks for a decent quality digital camera. Give what ya can. I will find out if Bill has a Paypal account or some other way to accumulate the funds.

Thanks for participating!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Kmot

Bill, check your PM's.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:32 PM
William Robison

Tom:

I'm insulted. My digital camera was bought brand new, it's still in excellent condition, and it has a whopping 92,000 pixel (0.09 mega pixel) resolution. The best part is that I spotted it by the cash register at the local drug store, and I paid an outlandish price of $13 (plus tax) for it. Brand new.

It has no built in viewing screen, I'll admit I shoot six or eight pictures to get one I like, sometimes even more. But while the images aren't the best, they still get the idea across. And using the auxiliary lenses for my Nikon I can shoot macro, micro, as well as conventional pictures.

Yes, I've been debating a better one, but what I want is going to hit me around $1K, and even now when I want really good quality I whip out the Nikon and shoot it on film.

As an example of macro check the picture attached. Higher resolution would not carry any more useful information.

But if you could send me an automatic typing machine that never hit thewrong key or missedthespacebar...

Haw.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35557.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	400247  
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Jack211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kmot, the LAST time I had a proposal, I said yes--and look where it got me.

Bill's generous, obviously, and even humorous, but he's ugly. Worse, he's young.

Suggestion: put a couple of valve lifters and a vertical intake on that Nikon and Bill can make it hum. Maybe he just needs glasses.

Jack170
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 AM
William Robison

Jack:

Generous, humorous, and young I'll accept. But ugly? You've never seen a more handsome fellow, 'specially when I'm all cleaned up and polished. No, the woman is my sister, not my squeeze.

Hop up my Nikon? It already has twin Weber 45DCOE carbs, a Racer Brown roller cam, and Brodix heads. And powder coated exhaust pipes. If it were any faster I couldn't handle it.

Haw.

Bill.

PS: Went back and added a picture of the latest GF. wr.

Name:	Rp44992.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	400290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46997.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	400291  
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Kmot

Okay, sorry I insulted your drugstore cameras feelings, lol!

I sent you a link on a decent snapshot digital camera that does all you need for forum pics. For your GF, get the $1000+ digital. I use an Olympus E-300 and that has now been superceded by the E-500. Awesome cameras.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 AM
solafein

My old boss at a shop I used to work at had the cylinder head on his Fat Boy chromed. He couldn't figure out why the thing ran so darned (he used another word here) hot. My cousin and I just laughed and laughed, made fun of his "smoked pork" and what not. We finally convinced him to have the chrome removed and to paint it flat black by painting a lawn mower engine with that cheap chrome paint. The thing would get so hot you could melt solder on it. We then sandblasted it and painted it Ford Blue. What a difference. I don't know of a iron block engine that wasn't painted when it was new. Aluminum engines have a exterior coating that prevents corrosion. Just stay away from chrome or we will dub you "The Bacon Express".

Bill:
You should be ashamed of yourself, dirty old man. She is young enough to be your daughter. Got any pointers.

Haw!!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:07 AM
William Robison

SDol:

Daughter hell! Grand daughter. She's 24, I had my 67th last December. Pointers? Always treat them with respect with an undercurrent of lust. Get's them every time. Picture attached here IS my daughter.
------------------
Tom: What do you think of the Minolta DiMAGE Z5? It's 5 mp, with focus down to about 1/2 inch and a 12 to 1 optical zoom. Price is a bit more than $200 of course, but I'd like your thoughts on it. What I see it should be an excellent camera.

Bill.

Name:	Tr49440.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	400315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36767.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	400316  
Old 02-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Kmot

Minolta make excellent cameras. My 35mm is a Minolta.

I have not read about the Z5. But when I was shopping last year, I did read that the DiMage series had a reputation for extreme battery consumption only allowing for short use before needing a recharge. But those DiMage cameras looked totally different so that is probalby not an issue any more.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaz5/
Old 02-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Jack211

Bill, I'm happy I got your goat. Thanks for the laughs. And that much beauty AROUND you keeps you young, betcha. Well done.

I SHOULD have said, "Worse, he lives in FLORIDA, where he doesn't have to use MITTENS to fly his planes in winter." Ticks me off.

Worse, yet, you're a very long way away, so I can't simply shake your hand and thank you for being you. [Which has to be a full time job.]

Jack<--see him with hand extended southeast

Now, back to the show.... I have this Saito that.....
Old 02-02-2006, 10:18 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, this is enough of the off topic stuff. One more response that is not directly related to Saitos, and I'm going to take out the last few posts.

This is the Saito thread. Its not about camera's, family, or sports cars.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 04:31 PM
William Robison

Jim:

You're a party pooper.

Following is for TheShirt, a partial repost to check his cam timing.
--------------------
Pull the rocker covers and the glow plug. Turn the prop forward and watrch the rockers. You’ll see the exhaust rocker move to open the exhaust valve, as you continue turning the exhaust will start to close and the intake will begin opening. At the point where they are open equally the piston should bee at the top of its stroke. Stick your toothpick in the plug hole and rock the crank to be sure it is.
--------------------
If you find the piston is not at TDC you'll have to pop the cam and reset it.

Bill.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 PM
rexracer

I have a question for you Saito gurus. I need to put a smoke connection (exhaust pressure tap, 8-32) in the stock head pipe on my 1.80. How hot can this thing get? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of drilling and tapping the hole, then silver soldering the nipple to make sure it stays put, but I don't know if the solder can take the heat. Can anyone tell me for sure?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:37 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a problem.
After less than 6 gallons my new 1.00 started to shed the rear bearing retainer.
Horizon generously replaced it and I believe the front bearing as well.
Due to the Iowa winter I haven't been able to put much time on it...maybe a gallon.
I am getting oil out the front "nostrils" on the cowling of my U-Can-Do. These are like little scoops not quite even with the spinner backplate. This oil must be coming from the front of the engine.
I am planning on writing Horizon about it and see what they think. Right now it's enough that it's really going to be a mess when flying season starts up full time. It didn't have this problem before it was serviced.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
JLK
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Hobbsy

Jim did exactly what he's supposed to do, but you already knew that. There is an Off Topic Forum where you can blow the main bus bars right out of your brain talking about that stuff. Many called for it few use it.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 PM
William Robison

Rex:

The temp of the exhaust stack can approach 600F, you're far better off trusting the threads than a silver soldered joint. If you use a steel nipple MIG welding would do fine.
--------------------------
John:

Believe it or don't, I was just about to answer your email about this.

Personal preference for front bearings in any Saito is a true sealed version, just for this reason. You might give the crank case vent a double check, make sure it's neither restricted nor has a hose too long on it. About 4" seems fine. Anything restricting the vent will aggravate oil dumping from the front bearing.
---------------------
Hobbsy:

I know Jim is correct, but a little off topic doesn't hurt.

Bill.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
rexracer

I guess maybe I'll try some high temp locktite and let the threads do the job.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Bill,
As always thanks for the reply!
Is the Saito "OE" a true sealed bearing?
Would Paul be able to help me with this if it's not?
If you were wondering the rebuild on my brand "E" is at a standstill trying to find the accessory shaft bearings so...we won't know until then if I need to pay this semester's installement to the William Robison University of Engine Repair and Overhaul!

JLK
Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 PM
William Robison

John:

I've seen both open and shielded bearings as OEM in Saitos, but I've never seen a true sealed bearing ex-factory. At the same time, I don't think I've ever installed anything other than sealed bearings in front. As a matter of fact, on some engines I've used stainless front bearings instead of ceramic when Paul didn't have the right ceramics to fit.

I don't feel too bad about stainless in front, it's the rear that has the high loadings, and using the -2RS bearings I leave both seals in place, so lubrication is not a problem. Paul assures me the original grease is good for the life of the bearing even in the high rpm use. So far I've had no failures, or even questions, about the completely sealed front bearings.

The rear bearing MUST be an open bearing, otherwise oil to the cam and tappets would be either restricted or eliminated. Cant live with that.

Bill.

PS: "Paul" is Paul Macintosh, RC_Bearings.com . wr.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Kmot

A little "off topic" when it benefits "the forum" should not be taboo. If I put my proposal in the Off Topic Forum how many Saito readers would have seen it? Zip!

We are humans. Not robots. Sheesh..........

Have a little humanity.......
Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Jack211

ORIGINAL: w8ye

This is the Saito thread. Its not about camera's, family, or sports cars.

Jim
Jim, I expect you feel you have a "job" to do as "moderator" of a public forum. The one "problem," [if you see it as one] with a "public" forum is you have to put up with the public.

Did you ever hear the adage: "For every high tech input, you must have a high touch input"? Yes, a Saito "Club" oughta be about engines, but the true engine that drives these forums is found in the humanity of them. The internet, high tech, provides the forum, the personalities of the forum, the humanity of the participants, high touch, is the real "engine." Should you ever forget that, you shall suffer the dire consequences of a forum without humor, without pleasantries, indeed, without the beauty of Bill's daughter and GRANDdaughter cheek to jowl with the beauty of Kmot's painted Saito heads, without, in fact, humanity. And where would we all be without that?

Jack
Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How would you like to be searching for "How to paint Saito cylinder assemblies". The search engine points to "Welcome to Club Saito!". Then all you have to do is read through 1474 replies minus the motor cycle pictures that have been removed to find how to paint a Saito jug. Then you come across several posts of a guy's relatives?

Sure it was interesting to see a picture of Bill's sister and daughter that I've never seen before but that stuff needs to be over in a thread about things other than Saitos.

It would also be nice also if some specific info about a Saito was in a stand alone thread where it would have more value to someone using the search function?

With the old PHP program we could mix and match threads. If someone came along and asked a question? We could make it stand alone as it's own thread. Now, with the ASP program in use, we have a thread with 1450 replies with all kinds of great information, but how are you going to find just what you are looking for?

What do the last three post including this one have to do with Saito's?

Enjoy,

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.