Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

41 Falcon cat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

41 Falcon cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 AM
painman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 41 Falcon cat

HaHa, I know about that hot weather, after having the boat set in the sun for a little while I thought the bag was going to blow. Looked like a basket ball, was surprised that the bag didn't blow. Had to release the preasure, and refill with fuel.
Should have new bags in a couple more days. Was working on boat last night and noticed that I had never cut the header to length might be why I didn't see more of a power increase going to the 105* header.
Moved the strut back up, cuped 2716 and cut header to length, will test and let everyone know how it works out.
Hope to see low 60's

Thanks Randy
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
painman

After moving strut back up about 1/4" above bottom of sponsons, added more cup to the 2716 also cut header to correct length. Had best runs to date HaHaHa, 56.8 gps, also did some work on the skeg on the strut and worked rudder down made a big difference, and that was running w/o the cowl, that I am sure wasn't helping the speed any.
Since, I have cut cowl to fit the 105* header and ready to do more testing. Should be seeing low 60's if i had to guess, that is the number I am aimimg for.

Later;

Randy
Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 PM
eengler

WOW excellent for you!!!!!! I told you I had seen the 56 to low 57 from the falcon!. I took it out today again and it was running GREAT until I started having the problem with the IV bag, it started to collect "goo" or a "gel" in the bag. I just started a thread on that. The falcon started to go "cough" and I thought I had some remote control issues or the engine over heating or to lean. Until i noticed it was the gas bag![:@] With our falcons at 56-57 we are a threat to any other "common" modified cat in our lakes. Usually "common" modified cats run 57mph - 60 mph. I can't get enough of beating modified "common" deep-vees/cats out in the lake with my Falcon! jijijijijij When I say "common" I mean any joe blow that puts together a modded cat/vee with not much experience.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
eengler

how did you add the cup yourself to the 2716? please post pics!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
painman

I saw a site over at RCMB, How to and followed there instructions. Really was nothing to it. I have a hammer that has a nylon head that I use to work with. Also I Have fabricated a pair of pliers, using my grinder that also does a fairly good job. I will see if I can get the wife to take a few pic's and will post in the morning. I also do all my other props BSP, thinking about a couple more to try.
7016 and 6518 these i don't have.

Later;
Randy

Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 PM
eengler

Well.... today i went to the lake. I tried a 2716 with the 20 rake which i ordered from dasboata last week. I rounded the tips and cupped it myself. I don't even know how to believe it, tried it on the stock falcon and it did 60.9mph. Yes, i know it's hard to believe but it is what i saw. To double check I tried it several more times and cotinued getting in the 59's. The lake was flat and the boat was running on the EDGE, really on the EDGE!!! It was about to fly over at any moment, just by the ripples it was making. Apparently this prop make my boat more loose, which is good for speed but I see it TOOOOOO loose. I can't race this way or even play or if the wind goes more than 5mph i'll probably fly over. So, I am keeping the W2716R 15 rake for my all around prop(56's) and if i want to see all out speed then the 2716R 20 rake(59's). I am also thinking of buying another falcon for my SS engine/hotpipe, I think the falcon "flies" better than the sprint cat, it's hard for the sprint cat to lift like the falcon, I think i am loosing speed by the sprint being soooo wet.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 AM
dicko

Have you tried adjusting the strut height with the 2716 to settle it down?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 AM
scooter666

painman,
I get my IV bags from the local vet, for a small donation. $10 gets me 4-5, 500 ml baxter bags.
Have been using bags for 3yrs, and have never had an ounce of trouble
Cheers Scoot
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 AM
scooter666

Why does my falcon want to "power slide" around corners. Cheers Scoot
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably because you dont have a skegged strut ,power slides are fun though so why worry .
Mart
Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 AM
dicko

Cats slide a lot more in corners than a mono or hydro. If you're comparing it to one of them I wouldn't worry. If you don't have a skegged strut it will help, but it can/will still slide with a skegged strut, just not as bad.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 AM
painman

I am running the skeged strut from Accu-Tech and never have any turning problems, Cat turns like my mono with the skeged strut. I have done some milling on the strut so it won't scrub as much speed. And have also done work on the double pick up turn fin to help with speed. I have been making some changes to the strut, ordered another flex shaft and have moved the strut back about 1 1/2 " behind transon, belive this will help settle the boat at higher speeds.
Will post results later today, if I get to the lake. changed to Dominator AMSOIL, and 87 pump gas. Still have the HP2 and AV fuel half with camp fuel. Testing

Having fun with the Falcon;

Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-23-2009, 02:56 PM
eengler

Hey dicko, no i do not want to mess with the strut. It obviously goes 60.9 mph with a stock engine becuase the boat is ridding on the last <3 inches of the boat. If i change from the 2716 20 rake to the 2716 15 rake the boat runs 56's. It is about a 3 mile an hour slower difference becuase with the 2716 15 rake the boat rides in the about 5-8 inches. Believe me.... with the 2716 it is going fast (56's mph), a little loose and can handle about 13-14mph winds. It's PERFECT!!!! Yes, my boat does power slide too, I do not have a skeg. I just slow a bit more on the corners.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
martno1fan

If you change the prop you must change the strut or trim it again, if your hull is too flighty trim the strut a tad negative to keep the bow down or you can play with angling the rudder in or out and see what that does .Also dont be scared to add weight up front to test and see if that helps,you can use a wet towel just to see what it does or ive used bottles of water wrapped in bubble wrap to stop them sliding arround.
Mart
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
painman

Had a long day, went to the lake and had carb problems, just happen to have a 257 rebuild kit. So rebuilt carb, and did some testing and tuneing before heading back to the lake to run.
Set new speed today HaHa hit a 57 flat with the 2716/2 with added cup and had the 105% header set at 13"on pipe, this is with the WHH M5 mod 26Zen. Also running the 257 carb. The boat at a couple of points only had air under the hull, no water touching except the prop. Couple of times the bow was heading straight up, but would settle back down. I have moved the strut back about 1 1/2" from transom, this I belive helped to settle the boat at these speeds, without weight in the boat.
Still looking for the 60gps mark, thought I had hit it today, but JUST KEEPING IT REAL;
I need to come up with a few more tricks, have parts to rebuild motor, that might be my next move. Have some pic's of the boat on the Accu-Tech web site. If anyone would like to take a look. I also opened a couple of vent holes behind the carb for more air.

Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 AM
martno1fan

The m5 mod is only a mildly modded zenoah so i wouldnt expect too much from it,a friend has two and the fastest hes had from his is 57 mph also.He had them in an avenger and a conquest if memory serves.If you want to hit 60+ mph consistantly id buy a full mod from a good engine builder,whhobbies only build good play motors they arent renowned for modded motors.Id try cc racing or SS enterprises,redline etc.I have the ss and its a great motor and a very good price also.
Mart
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM
painman

I have read that Wally runs the S&S mod motor, so must be a strong motor. I have a full mod in my gen 3 hydro, just testing to see what I can squeeze out of the M5, next I will be tweeking on the Gen.3.
What kind of speeds are you getting out of your S&S, and what kind of boat do you have it in? Do you know who the motor builder is for the S&S mod motors, and does he have a web site? I have only seen his motors on another site, I think it's gas rc parts for $495.00
I have been thinking real hard about the EVO RCMK do you know of anyone running this motor and what speed are they running?
Thanks Mart;

Later Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
martno1fan

Hi im currently running mine in a rockett t boat i gps'd her at 61 mph last week,bearing in mind im currently running without ridepads and the carb still needs tweaking as ive just rebuilt it and my needles were all over the place as id messed with them before i worked out the diaphram was shot.I tested her before with pads stuck on temporary and the speed was pretty fast lets just say over 65 mph ,hope to get some video of that once i replace the ridepads permanantly.
Mart
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uvOdbGNkcM[/link]
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Paul M

Glad everything is progressing

Mart, great idea on the wet towl for ballast. That will definitely do in a pinch Just make sure it can't get in the flywheel. I destroyed a Mathe 35 that way but it's alot more exposed in that engine than in the Zens.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
martno1fan

The wet towel can be a quick fix if you turn up at the lake and the winds really blowing.
Mart
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
painman

Mart, after review of the video it looks like the boat is running sweet, not wet nor to loose. She is a screemer, and I can see how she can handle more HP without any problems. She looks glued and handles really nice or you have us fooled with the video. How involved is it to add the ride pads? and does this give the boat more lift to allow more air to lighten the boat? FASTER FASTER==FUN FUN;

Good luck with the ride pads;

Later; Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
painman

Paul, have you been running your Falcon any lately? How is it running and are you running a Zen or RCMK can't remember. Do you run your strut close to the transom or back? Mine seems to be handling much better since I moved the strut back about 1 1/2 " had to get a new flex shaft to make the change. Seems to be able to handle the speed without as much trouble.

Take Care;

Randy
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 AM
martno1fan

Randy the vid was cut short because she flipped 8 ft in the air after she hit a wave caused by the cross wind so that was the end of play for the day .As for ride pads they add lift and speed id say a good 5+ mph of speed but adjustments need doing to the strut to keep her on the water.Just from the one day i tested them out i gained that much speed without losing stability after altering the strut depth a bit.I dont want to hyjack the falcon thread by talking about my hydro sory .If you can hit 58-60 consistanly with a stock zenoah id be happy with that guys,if you want more get that moded motor in there.I know a cpl of builders are now offering mod work on the new rcmk motors.Scott Schneider and mr cc racing been the ones i know of.
Mart
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
painman

I have been giving the new evo a lot of thought, just want to give it some time to get all the kinks out. I heard that C&C was going back to the 2 bearings when doing the RCMK mods.
I am about ready to start working on the insane gen 3 and do more testing with it. It is a little harder to run when you are by yourself trying to launch, if you know what I mean. Also thinking about giving a try to do some of my own modding, have a couple of cylinders in the shop just sitting.
Good luck with the T boat;

Randy
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Paul M

No hadn't run it in a few weeks. I had a QDHT in it but I moved it back to the drag cat and been playing with it lately. My strut is about 1.5 in off the transom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.