Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Feibao Velox Arrives!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Feibao Velox Arrives!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:09 AM
TREADSTONE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Feibao Velox Arrives!

Roger...Where ...specifically..?

Brg

Dave.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:28 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Roger Suckling

John,

How does the wing section compare to the Phoenix? Could you possibly measure the thickness of the Velox?

Best Regards

Roger
Roger,

No idea how it compares to the Phoenix but the root chord incl flap is 490mm and the max thickness is 46mm at approx 150mm back from the L/E. Thickness at the false T/E (at the Flap L/E) is 20mm. No idea about section type.

Rgds,

Dick

Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Roger Suckling

Thanks Dick,

The Phoenix at the same point ie 150mm from the LE is a bit thicker at 70mm. I was just trying to get a rough idea of the low speed characteristics.

Best Regards

Roger
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

John, could you post a couple of pictures of your engine and radio instalation? Where did you put the ECU and pump?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 PM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

John, could you post a couple of pictures of your engine and radio instalation? Where did you put the ECU and pump?
I think John might be away at the JWM so have attached a couple of pics of my Velox fuel/ECU and engine installations. The engine's an AMT (NL) Mercury HP and I had to modify the engine mountings on both the engine and airframe (I believe the Wren just bolts straight on). The ECU lives below the pump/tap/filter panel (cos I shouldn't need to get to it...famous last words!) and I put the UAT along side the tank, which I shifted off-centre to allow this. The pictures are part of a Velox build thread I'll put on the JMAs website when it's finished - hence the words in the pics.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Dick
England

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36385.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	715803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52332.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	715804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22448.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	715805  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:54 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roger

Off to the WJM tomorrow! The Velox will fly very slowly, just as slow as the Phoenix, on the first flight I undershot the runway through flying too slow! I mounted my pump vetically on the former I made to hold the main tank in place with the hopper tank just in front of the main tank. Dick, I like your installation, very tidy!

John
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Nice clean instalation!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 AM
rcjetmodels

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

Nice clean instalation!

Velox arriving on USA next week, for the USA customer that have ordered the Velox from us they will receive in 5 business days.

regards,
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Can't wait to see it in person. Since I am vaca next week, this should be good timing....

Spar
Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 206 Likes on 126 Posts

CJ, that's a nice installation. I'd caution you on one thing though - the position of the fuel filter. You can unknowingly get air bubbles in it that can cause an engine out, and you will have difficulty shaking them out if you can't orient the filter upward. In flight you certainly will though.
Ask me how I know! [8D]
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Ron S

CJ, that's a nice installation. I'd caution you on one thing though - the position of the fuel filter. You can unknowingly get air bubbles in it that can cause an engine out, and you will have difficulty shaking them out if you can't orient the filter upward. In flight you certainly will though.
Ask me how I know! [8D]
Thanks Ron, that's a good point. Although I've orientated filters the same way in previous jets without any problems, I have noticed air bubbles (that I've been unable to get rid of totally) when using the clear Festo ones. You've got me thinking now, though, so I may change it to minimse any risk!

Has anybody else reading this had problems with horizontally mounted filters? Also, if you use Festo filters, just how have you managed to get them completely free of air??!!.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 07-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a non-issue for the 6mm clear Festo filter. Yes, you can have (and see) an air bubble in it. No, it is not an issue. I have flown for years with these horizontal in the old Isobars with never an issue. I even tried, many times, purging the filter of fuel (so its all air), then running the turbine and specifically trying to get the filter air to dislodge and cause an issue. Could never get it to happen.

Don't know about the JetCat filter though. Since it's not clear, you can not know about an air bubble.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Woketman

This is a non-issue for the 6mm clear Festo filter. Yes, you can have (and see) an air bubble in it. No, it is not an issue. I have flown for years with these horizontal in the old Isobars with never an issue. I even tried, many times, purging the filter of fuel (so its all air), then running the turbine and specifically trying to get the filter air to dislodge and cause an issue. Could never get it to happen.

Don't know about the JetCat filter though. Since it's not clear, you can not know about an air bubble.

Thanks Mark, yes, I tried all sorts to get rid of the 'Festo' bubble with no luck (as have many other jet fliers I know). One to live with, I think...but has anybody had probs with the Jetcat filter and air bubbles (other than Ron, that is)?

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Woketman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also used the JetCat filter for years and have never had an issue. But since it is not see-through, I really don't know if there's a big air bubble in there or not. But since I never had an issue with the Festo, I have not worried about it and also have never had an issue. But it might be prudent to mount it vertically, output up. I doubt it matters though.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
CJ2002

Velox flew OK today (full gen at http://jmajets.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=420#420) and here's a picture that Paul Lewis took for me...

Cheers,

Dick

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12480.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	731455  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

Dick

My fleet of jets have the filter fitted in every possible angle (depends where they fit in a loop of tube) never had a problem. Most people have problems with JetCat filters because they don't re tighten them a couple of days after assembling them. The O ring compresses in the first couple of days. I build my filters and place then in a clean bag when I start any jet build and re tighten before installation.

Dave W
Old 07-29-2007, 06:48 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Dick

My fleet of jets have the filter fitted in every possible angle (depends where they fit in a loop of tube) never had a problem. Most people have problems with JetCat filters because they don't re tighten them a couple of days after assembling them. The O ring compresses in the first couple of days. I build my filters and place then in a clean bag when I start any jet build and re tighten before installation.

Dave W

Dave,

I had a slight leak on one pipe to filter joint that I found on initial start-up but it was 'me-induced' (nerver tightened the union fully)...I've never had a JetCat filter leak. As a precaution against possible trapped air, I tipped the model on its side (filter then orientated vertically) and gave it a good shake...no problems with fuel flow...and it experienced all attitudes when I flew it and, again, no probs (tempting providence here!).

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
GreenAcre
My Feedback: (13)

What # Robart retracts work for the Velox? The #630's? Or any other brand retracts?
Thanks.
Also, if I JUST buy the frame only version, do I have to cut out the wheel wells and also the front wheel well for the retracts? (just like on the phoenix)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
mowery1

I just received my velox and I purchased my gear from Todd at Dreamworks. I'll be flying mainly off grass so I chose the pro-link gear. I'll post some pictures as I progress in the build process...
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone flying one of these with a p-80 in it? How's it working out. Is the stock tank enough for 6-7 minutes?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
justinh

I'm flying one with a P80. It flies great but I dont think you could get 6-7 minutes unless you're real easy on the throttle. I start the timer when I throttle up for takeoff and I'm back on the ground in 5 minutes usually with enough for 1 go around. I'm trying to find a way to get some extra fuel on board.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: justinh
I'm trying to find a way to get some extra fuel on board.
The Sullivan 11 oz ducted fan saddle tanks will fit under the velcro right up next to the main tank on each side to provide 22oz more fuel. I've plumbed mine to feed them first to the main tank. Running a 7:30 minute timer on a P-70 from gear up to landing with a good amount of fuel left over.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

I flew mine with a P-80. Great combo...Unfortunately I tangled with a runway light. I was 12 inches off the ground...it was 16...oh well... I added an additional 24 ounces by moving the main tank over to the left and adding a 24 ounce sullivan tank. It gave me a good 9 minutes at wot with a couple minutes reserve. Stock tank most likely anly good for 5-6 mins tops....BTW I also used Robart 630 with struts from my Kangaroo. It all fit perfectly.....Great plane and combo...I already miis her...
Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I am thinking about making this my first real jet. I flew the spinning whistle planes back in the 90's , and have been flying aerobatics primarily for the past 12 years or so. The price of this plane makes it very attractive, and it looks to be a fairly forgiving plane for the turbine newbies.

Question: I have seen the kit alone for as little as $720 (sincityjets), but every site I have been to also mentions saving "hundreds" with super combo deals, but they don't mention the price. Anyone have any idea what the price is for the plane/retract combo (the one with the retracts, wheels, brakes, air tank, valves, etc.)??? I don't want to email them until I am ready to order, and I know I won't be ready to order for a few months after I finish moving. But I would like to get a ballpark price so I know how much money to hide from the wife
Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: bodywerks
... and it looks to be a fairly forgiving plane for the turbine newbies.
.... except for the landings ....

Think +/- $900 additional to the base price for the add on combo's and you'd still need a real brake valve unless you use or like the on/off valve they give you. If you get the door option, you'll probably also need some sort of gear/door sequencer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.