Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 AM
sgbfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Also Simon, I remember reading earlier that the headspeed for BOL hover was closer to 1800 rpm than 2000. Does this make a big diff?
Yep!

For Brushless the calculation comes out at 8.6 (So 9T may be optimum)

For brushed 10.9 (So 10T might be worth a go but 11T seems optimum)

Interesting.................

Simon
Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Simon,

Very interesting. What is important also is the meshing between pinion & main. I swear that the 11-tooth that the "ultimate" had on its BL motors had a poorer mesh than the near-perfect one that it has now (from the 10-tooth) Maybe some of it could be attributed to the constant adjustments that I made to the gear meshings after reinstalling the motors - but overall the "cogging" is still there but I can feel that it is the motor magnets now and not the ill-aligned meshings. I have stopped adjusting them now BTW

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-23-2009, 06:45 AM
sgbfly

Hi Peter,

What concerns me about the 11T supplied was that at 1/4 throttle my BL BOL was hovering..................Cant be good and I presume low voltage & high current & low efficiency. The poor meshing can only make things worse still!

My 10T pinions and pinion puller have arrived - waiting on a 3in1 now (bought in UK so should be today / tomorrow).

I think out of curiosity I will order some Esky 9T pinions.

RC711.com have yet to reply.............

Simon
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
Hi Peter,
What concerns me about the 11T supplied was that at 1/4 throttle my BL BOL was hovering..................Cant be good and I presume low voltage & high current & low efficiency. The poor meshing can only make things worse still!
My 10T pinions and pinion puller have arrived - waiting on a 3in1 now (bought in UK so should be today / tomorrow).
I think out of curiosity I will order some Esky 9T pinions.
RC711.com have yet to reply............
Hey again Simon,

Please keep me informed of the outcome if you do try 9T pinions. I was prepared to order some of them if the 10T ones didn't have such a positive affect for me

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. What Q did you ask RC711.com that you haven't got a reply for as yet?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 AM
sgbfly

Hey again Simon,

Please keep me informed of the outcome if you do try 9T pinions. I was prepared to order some of them if the 10T ones didn't have such a positive affect for me

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Will do Peter - I have ordered some 9T now!

I complained to RC711 telling them that I dont think the 11T pinions were well suited and may have caused me a problem with my 3in1. I asked for a discount on a replacement. I also pointed them to this thread! This was a few days ago now and I have learnt alot since then making me even more convinced that less teeth are needed. I would love the feed back from them and to hear their (or manufacturers) reasoning if they think I am wrong. Hope they are reading.................

Simon

Old 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Electrotech

ORIGINAL: rusty63

Hi Jestine , Ouch two 3in1s burn,t out . Im glad thatyou haveunits working reliably now . Rather than throwing units out. have you considered having mosfets replaced with higher rated components . Im still on 370 motors , keeping a four minute max flightime . Then cool before second flight . When 370s carks it ,have xtreme replacements . Will keep up 4minute flightime . If / matter of When i guess , 3in1 burns out . will get it rebuilt , perhaps open coverings up . ber60 did some heatsinks type stuff to his 3in1 . Sounds like xtreme blades really arent worth it .cya

Hi Russell,

Thanks and yes i did repaired the 3 in 1 control board myself. I found 1 diode and 2 N-channel FET burnt. Now with the cooling system i believe the control board is working happily and i could fly the heli non stop (so far have tested on 3 batteries). Here are the photos of the burnt IC in the control board:

Jestine
Hi Jestine,

Please take a moment to let me know what you think to this:-

The failed component on my 3in1 appears to be cjt1117 5.0. In fact it has a hole! It did go with a pop just after connecting a new battery. see pics. Everything else looks OK.

Google says:<table class="res"> <tbody> <tr> <td width="120">Partname</td> <td width="230" colspan="2">CJT1117-5.0</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Description</td> <td colspan="2">1A LOW DROPOUT LINEAR REGULATOR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Manufacturer</td> <td>Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
What do you think would cause this to fail?

And

What is it? wiki - Is this the BEC?

Simon

EDIT: Yes its the BEC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94620.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1280726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97768.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1280727  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Simon,
Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Will do Peter - I have ordered some 9T now!
I complained to RC711 telling them that I dont think the 11T pinions were well suited and may have caused me a problem with my 3in1. I asked for a discount on a replacement. I also pointed them to this thread! This was a few days ago now and I have learnt alot since then making me even more convinced that less teeth are needed. I would love the feed back from them and to hear their (or manufacturers) reasoning if they think I am wrong. Hope they are reading................
Hey again Simon,

Let me know how that goes
You guys were looking at Brushed motors as well as BL a while ago. Well, the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_230&pro ducts_id=3037]Xtreme 380[/link] comes with a 9T pinion (with 2mm shaft) that is great for the Honeybee FP - but I don't think BL motors would benefit (apart from running cooler still).

To throw a spanner in the works consider this: "The Honeybee FP only has one rotor plane so needs to have a higher headspeed (than the BOL - which of course has two) to generate enough lift for takeoff"

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 AM
sgbfly

Hey again Simon,

Let me know how that goes
You guys were looking at Brushed motors as well as BL a while ago. Well, the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=110_230 &amp;products_id=3037]Xtreme 380[/link] comes with a 9T pinion (with 2mm shaft) that is great for the Honeybee FP - but I don't think BL motors would benefit (apart from running cooler still).

To throw a spanner in the works consider this: "The Honeybee FP only has one rotor plane so needs to have a higher headspeed (than the BOL - which of course has two) to generate enough lift for takeoff"

Hello Peter,

The Xtreme motor must have a higher kV rating than stock which is 10T (kV = rpm per volt). Its hard to read too much into the rest of your post without knowing the teeth on the main gear and other variables.

It makes you wonder if xtreme motors would work well with 10T for the BOL

I hope all this technical stuff is not killing the thread?!

Simon

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: rusty63

Hi Jestine , Ouch two 3in1s burn,t out . Im glad that you have units working reliably now . Rather than throwing units out. have you considered having mosfets replaced with higher rated components . Im still on 370 motors , keeping a four minute max flightime . Then cool before second flight . When 370s carks it ,have xtreme replacements . Will keep up 4minute flightime . If / matter of When i guess , 3in1 burns out . will get it rebuilt , perhaps open coverings up . ber60 did some heatsinks type stuff to his 3in1 . Sounds like xtreme blades really arent worth it .cya

Hi Russell,

Thanks and yes i did repaired the 3 in 1 control board myself. I found 1 diode and 2 N-channel FET burnt. Now with the cooling system i believe the control board is working happily and i could fly the heli non stop (so far have tested on 3 batteries). Here are the photos of the burnt IC in the control board:

Jestine
Hi Jestine,

Please take a moment to let me know what you think to this:-

The failed component on my 3in1 appears to be cjt1117 5.0. In fact it has a hole! It did go with a pop just after connecting a new battery. see pics. Everything else looks OK.

Google says: <table class=''res''> <tbody> <tr> <td width=''120''>Partname</td> <td width=''230'' colspan=''2''>CJT1117-5.0</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Description</td> <td colspan=''2''>1A LOW DROPOUT LINEAR REGULATOR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Manufacturer</td> <td>Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
What do you think would cause this to fail?

And

What is it? wiki - Is this the BEC?

Simon

EDIT: Yes its the BEC

Hi Simon
The IC output is 5 volt and is supply to the Main Control IC. If this IC is bad then there will be no power (LED would not light up). Usually regulator IC's are quite robust and this IC could be found in many consumer electronics circuit. One of the common usage of this IC is in the LCD Monitor mainboard. However i do came across few regulator IC problem and it was manufacturer defect. Replacement with another brand of regulator IC solved the problem. Sometimes IC have it own life span and it will fail after a period of time and many other reason too like static and etc.

PS. I just blew up another control board (3 in 1 control) in another BOL because i did not put the cooling fan in it-arrg! For your information this BOL is using the King 2 Motor with lama 400 Blade.[sm=cry_smile.gif] Guess i got to perform the repair again.

Jestine
Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
sgbfly

^ Hi Jestine,

Thanks for the info. I wish I had the skill to repair. My new 3in1 has just arrived but it would be useful to have a spare.

Unlucky with your failure. Why do you think you are getting so many 3in1 failures?

Simon
Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Electrotech

^ Hi Jestine,

Thanks for the info. I wish I had the skill to repair. My new 3in1 has just arrived but it would be useful to have a spare.

Unlucky with your failure. Why do you think you are getting so many 3in1 failures?

Simon
Hi Simon,

The cause of the problem i guess was because:

1) Not using stock motor, for your information I'm using KING 2 motor which provide more power and tends to burden the control board.

2) bigger mah battery. The original battery is 800mah and i believe is about 10 C but i'm using a 1000mah battery with 20C which tends to make the control board get hot faster especially the power FET.

3) Using a heavier and longer blades. I'm using Lama 400 BLADES which put more stress on the motors and thus making the control board even worst.

Actually i could put a cooling fan in it to avoid the problem but sometimes we need to test it out and see the outcome (Just like when you talks about the 9T and 10 T pinion subject which was very interesting)

I can always go back to the basic of the BOL (just like what Buz having fun flying it) but these modification really gave me an Ummh in flying the BOL. The experience of flying this MOD BOL was so different from the basic BOL. I just put up a post about cooling fan in my blog at JestineYong.com and you can check it out.

Jestine
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
erdnuckel2

Just because I got this on email a moment ago ... wanted to share the news:

http://www.afcsystem.com.hk/e/defaul...id=40,+count=1

Hope the link works

regards,
Sven
Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2

Hope the link works

regards,
Sven
Hi Sven,

Thanks for the link! It seems very interesting and the price is much cheaper than Extreme 380!

Jestine
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
pgroom_68

Hope the link works
regards,
Sven
Hey again Sven,

Gotta get me a couple of those!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Designed for BOL that will mean that they have calculated the KV rating and attached a suitable pinion?!? (I hope) - looks like 12-tooth from the pic!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
erdnuckel2

No idea Peter - I just wanted to share the news .... maybe helpful for someone (not everyone brushless - crazy ... YET... )

Sven
Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
pgroom_68

No idea Peter - I just wanted to share the news .... maybe helpful for someone (not everyone brushless - crazy ... YET ... )
Hey again Sven,

I am not challenged by my BL setup BOL now. I am finding it all a bit to easy. I think I will concentrate on the Honeybee FP v2 for a while - it offers some manuvours that coaxials can't! (Eg. I can't perform a decent nose-in funnel with any of my BOLs.....[&o])

Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Beachcomber

Peter,
What are the control motions to do a funnel, on single rotor? I've seen funnel before and can't figure it out. Sorry for hijack.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM
sgbfly

Peter: Will you do me a favour and time the battery life on your 10T brushless BL using the 900mAh GePower lipo (Esky blades if possible but anything will be helpful)
Hey again Simon,

I have just completed an 11 minute flight using the 900mAh GEPower lipo with my 10-Tooth BL motors (and yes, I even put on Esky blades just for this flight)
Wow! - How did you do that? 8.0 minutes here with 9T but otherwise similar.

Installed my new 3in1 last night and decided to fit the 9T pinions. Decided to go for 9T first so I could do a comparison with the 10T you say works well. I expect the 10T will stay in place once fitted so 9T had to go on first. Only really had chance to hover in the living room &amp; I hope to go outside today.

First impressions of 9T are it handles like stock wrt power and performance. However, it seems noisier than the 11T I briefy tried (before 3in1 blew) and I am not convinced the 9T meshing with the main gear is as good as a stock set up. Also the 11T set up gave the percenption of a lot of extra power over stock - This 9T does not but I will confirm this point later.

3in1 runs cool!. Battery, esc's and motors are warm at the end of a flight but not hot like stock motors.

I am disappointed by the efficiency of this setup &amp; everything spun freely before adding motors.

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="1" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;"> <tbody> <tr> <td width="295" valign="top" style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;"> <div>GE Power 900mAh, Stock brushed motors, 11T, Esky Blades.</div> </td> <td width="295" valign="top" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;"> <div>10min30sec &ndash; 11mins</div> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="295" valign="top" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;"> <div>GE Power 900mAh, brushless motor kit, 9T, Esky Blades.</div> </td> <td width="295" valign="top" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;"> <div>8mins00secs (repeated twice)</div> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Simon

PS. Test flight tonight - 10T tomorrow!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Electrotech

Peter: Will you do me a favour and time the battery life on your 10T brushless BL using the 900mAh GePower lipo (Esky blades if possible but anything will be helpful)
Hey again Simon,

I have just completed an 11 minute flight using the 900mAh GEPower lipo with my 10-Tooth BL motors (and yes, I even put on Esky blades just for this flight)
Wow! - How did you do that? 8.0 minutes here with 9T but otherwise similar.

Installed my new 3in1 last night and decided to fit the 9T pinions. Decided to go for 9T first so I could do a comparison with the 10T you say works well. I expect the 10T will stay in place once fitted so 9T had to go on first. Only really had chance to hover in the living room & I hope to go outside today.

First impressions of 9T are it handles like stock wrt power and performance. However, it seems noisier than the 11T I briefy tried (before 3in1 blew) and I am not convinced the 9T meshing with the main gear is as good as a stock set up. Also the 11T set up gave the percenption of a lot of extra power over stock - This 9T does not but I will confirm this point later.

3in1 runs cool!. Battery, esc's and motors are warm at the end of a flight but not hot like stock motors.

I am disappointed by the efficiency of this setup & everything spun freely before adding motors.

<table cellspacing=''0'' cellpadding=''0'' border=''1'' style=''border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;''> <tbody> <tr> <td width=''295'' valign=''top'' style=''border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;''> <div>GE Power 900mAh, Stock brushed motors, 11T, Esky Blades.</div> </td> <td width=''295'' valign=''top'' style=''border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;''> <div>10min30sec – 11mins</div> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width=''295'' valign=''top'' style=''border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;''> <div>GE Power 900mAh, brushless motor kit, 9T, Esky Blades.</div> </td> <td width=''295'' valign=''top'' style=''border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0cm 5.4pt; width: 221.4pt;''> <div>8mins00secs (repeated twice)</div> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Simon

PS. Test flight tonight - 10T tomorrow!
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the result! Can't wait for your tomorrow 10T result. What would happen if a 12T were to be used? Lesser noise and 3 in 1 getting hotter or longer flying time? Ok will till tomorrow.

P.S- To Peter-

Ever come across your mind to try out the AFC big lama brushed motors?

Jestine
Old 09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Buz

Hey guys! Looks like everyone has been busy. I finally got my wife to video some of the stunts I'm doing with the BOL. So, all charged up, I ran the blades up then took off going backwards at full speed, gaining altitude over the roof of the house. I flew backwards into a spiraling circile until it got so tight I put it into a tail rotor spin, then came shooting out of it forward. Suddenly... I started losing power fast! I have this on video but it's really not worth posting since I had to land quickly because I had no power. I kept thinking the battery was shot....so I charged two others and neither one would get it off the ground.

Then, I looked at the top head shaft gear, and it is slipping on the shaft. I have tightened that grub screw down so tight using pliers.... I bent my allen wrench. It still slips and the helicopter will not get up enough top rotor speed to do anything.

Anyone got an idea for a fix here? I haven't pulled the inner shaft out to look, but I'll wager there is a groove worn in it from slipping on the gear. Any suggestions for a fix on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Buzz

Oh, I meant to show you what I bought... it's on the way now. It's not finished but I practically stole it for what I paid. When it's finished... I don't know if I have the nerve to fly it! I got it for $2000! You should see some of the other stuff this fellow John has built. Check it out here.... there's a video also. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=554020
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber
Peter,
What are the control motions to do a funnel, on single rotor? I've seen funnel before and can't figure it out. Sorry for hijack.
Hey again Beachcomber,

Flynfrfun pilots a Honeybee FP to the music of Ace of Base. This guy is an expert - I'm just a tinkerer....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. It is a fine balance between throttle control, aileron and rudder inputs. Just found it again - [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6vtf5ibcJg]here's a link[/link] Post a comment/question to the guy who put it up on youtube (not the pilot). He may be able to help with the steps.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Buz
...so I charged two others and neither one would get it off the ground.
Then, I looked at the top head shaft gear, and it is slipping on the shaft. I have tightened that grub screw down so tight using pliers.... I bent my allen wrench. It still slips and the helicopter will not get up enough top rotor speed to do anything.
Anyone got an idea for a fix here? I haven't pulled the inner shaft out to look, but I'll wager there is a groove worn in it from slipping on the gear. Any suggestions for a fix on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Hey again Buzz,

Only the obvious. Remove and replace the grub screw (and while you have it out remove the head and check/sandpaper grooves! You might have to make another flat spot with your dremmel or handfile......

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Nice AH-6 Little Bird purchase (a bit to "dedicated" to the hobby at that price though....[sm=wink_smile.gif]) well, if I did that my wife wouldn't understand.......
Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
pgroom_68

P.S- To Peter-
Yip. Just waiting for payday......

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Electrotech

P.S- To Peter-
Yip. Just waiting for payday......

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Hi Peter,
Actually is not cheap flying RC helicopters. Lets take BOL for example, if one wants to upgrade the BOL then one will buy:

1) Brushed or brushless motors

2) Nice landing skid

3) Bigger batteries (normally one will get few)

4) Adjustable flybar

5) Try different types of Harden blades (extreme, 3d pro, airy harden II, lama 400D and etc)

6) Metal grip/swash plate

7) Extension shaft (from Extreme, homemade and etc)

8) Heat sink for brushed motors

9) Any future new upgrade for BOL.

10) Lighting system

11) Beeper

This not inclusive of burnt 3 in 1, cracked canopy, broken gears, bent outer shaft and etc.

That's alot of money! [sm=47_47.gif] But do not know why somehow we just like it.

Jestine
Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 AM
pgroom_68

[quote}ORIGINAL Electrotech
Hi Peter,
Actually is not cheap flying RC helicopters. Lets take BOL for example, if one wants to upgrade the BOL then one will buy:
1) Brushed or brushless motors
2) Nice landing skid
3) Bigger batteries (normally one will get few)
4) Adjustable flybar
5) Try different types of Harden blades (extreme, 3d pro, airy harden II, lama 400D and etc)
6) Metal grip/swash plate
7) Extension shaft (from Extreme, homemade and etc)
8) Heat sink for brushed motors
9) Any future new upgrade for BOL.
10) Lighting system
11) Beeper
This not inclusive of burnt 3 in 1, cracked canopy, broken gears, bent outer shaft and etc.
That's alot of money! But do not know why somehow we just like it.
[/quote]
Hey again Jestine,

Agreed! I mod BOLs, Honeybee FPv2, Lama 3s, Lama 4s & Dauphins as well! But it is all worth it to see your bird flying better at the end of the day!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. What is really great is that Esky has released one LIPO that fits the Big Lama and Honeybee FPv2!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.