Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 11:49 AM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Mark,

Yesterday I had 3/4 of this letter done and something happened I don’t know whether the phone rang or another mail came in but I lost it all so here we go.

It seems that somebody got their wires crossed. They thought they were there at 4:45 and the other guy arrived at 5:15 PM. But I know I didn’t start up the truck till 5:30 after watching 2 ea. 30 minute shows on my YouTube TV. It is what it is and we did meet last night as a matter of fact and flew. I got to fly the 600 once, the 500 once and the Quadcopter night flying after dark. They did arrive until 5:30 so we were losing Sun rapidly. Hi had decreased the pitch positive and negative on the 600 from 12 to 10° to see if it would not bother when I tried to pull a loop or hold inverted. It’s still Boggs and just does not have enough power. So I just blew it around and enjoyed cruising, it’s still a great heli to fly. No when I took out the 500 I had left it at 12 up and 10 negative and she flew like a banshee! That 500 has been so good to me over the years, sound is a new dollar and will do anything you wanted to do and have the skill for. Then I flew the quad copter with the new night lights that before “were“ red in the front and blew like a police car blue in the back. The problem was, once I got some distance the red and the blue blend it to make purple and I could not see my orientation. I removed all of the blue lights and replace them with white. Red coming at me and white behind it, worked great! I changed it up this time and only charged one battery for the 600 and two for the 500 And 3 for the Quad. I only had to pull down one for the 500 because it got too dark for my second flight. So that’s my new MO, take my charger and my generator take like three batteries to start out with and charge the rest there as I need them so I don’t have to bring them home and put them in the storage mode. By the way Jens as well as the glaciers are coming back upon landing balanced really well. I did an upgrade to my charging box so I don’t need a table lantern when charging at night at the field, I added some LEDs.

Have not seen the dirt bags but we still go to together. For instance last night at dark 30 to girls walked in 300 yard on the dirt road to the pits, then walked through the gate and into and then through the pits out into the wash, crazy huh. They never spoke, we said hi and they nodded and walked on. Now they could be gang member scouts checking us out or two foolish girls on their way somewhere? Can you imagine being there alone and they come in and stop in the pits and call the Police and say one of accosted them, one a guy alone would be dead meat. It’s a bad world we live in, we there have to keep our guards up.
I regret I did not show the quad in flight last night, it was kinda crazy there as we were fighting for the daylight. Now it’s supposed to get to 112 and 115° this weekend so we’re putting our stuff away till the middle of next week.

Just got a note from DJI this morning regarding the Mavic Pro, you‘d better sit down for this one and get yourself some cold water and a cloth ready. The main board was damaged as I suspected as none of the belly sensors were working therefore you did not know what your altitude was. Hitting the corner of that wall as it came down and just missed the grass by 8 inches......... $415. Now some would say that’s crazy, just buy a new one and keep that one for parts and I considered that but I’m used to it I know the machine and I don’t use it that often so there’s no need to buy another equal or even upgrading to a bigger more up-to-date unit. I’m grateful the DJI factory can do the work and it comes with a warranty and it’ll be all checked out. And as the guys call me Johnny Boy will be more careful when flying around trees!!!
I can tell you that for night flying with a helicopter you have to get the battery loaded main blades! When flying they leave a green or a red halo for the lack of another term as the blades turn so you can see which way your disk is leaning. Then the guys would put lights on the tales of the helicopter as well, some down the boom to give you a horizontal look at night. I don’t remember which way Is which for the FAA but green lights on one side and red on the other like a real airplane.

That’s nice to take a break from the RC and get back into your trains something you guys can do together after school perhaps in the weekends. It’s looking nice in the photographs as well as the anchor on the corner of the bench LOL. I’ve got one pretty much like it and you’re gonna love it And you’ll find it works well on almost any project.

THE WALL

Take care my friend JPEE

Forgive any spelling errors or grammar this is my third attempt I thought this one was gone after I had just proved it and made a few corrections so so almost to 90° here in the garage I got to get out of here so try and model your way through.

Last edited by JPEE; 09-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:29 PM
JPEE

Mark,

The field and how desolate and removed it is.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 AM
JPEE

Originally Posted by jpee
hello mark,

thank you for your kind words on the solar and drone snap shots. To answer question on the ac condenser'zzzz. Here you can put them on the roof or on the ground and there are two reason why. In the provided snaps shots, you'll see a small on my garage roof. That one is from the separate hvac unit in the attic of my garage and just for the garage! I really had no place on the ground to place it. That side of house is to narrow to accommodate it. Behind is the second garage door and my patio so that wouldn't work either. The big one you see in the backyard is for the house and it is outside the home office/bedroom. If someone had to sleep in that room the start up and fan running noise would drive them nuts. The other two shots are of my neighbor's behind me and the one next door that who just installed new hvac in his attic and took the closet where is was and converted to a linen closet for his wife. Again it took the noise away from under there bedroom window.
1. To get it out of the way on the ground level 2. To get the noise level above the room line so the sound goes up. The units in the attic are suspended!!!!!!!!!! So there is no vibration and you really have to listen to hear it run from inside the house.

I was saddened to read that your a-6 went in again. Dog gone it..... You need to try and find a better place to fly that beautiful ship just to get the feel of it's landing characteristics without the stress of the street lights. It's my opinion once you have that you can come back to where you fly now, just a thought....

I agree with you, it's time to step away from the planes and give yourself a break and enjoy the heli's. The plane repair will be waiting for you and there's no rush. I also agree with you and with your great skills you can rebuild her again, that proves your last repair had no negative impact in it's air worthiness. Remember my trick, wood bbq skewers!

I don't recall if i told you but i just purchased 4 new 2200 3s packs for the planes and as i was talking to a friend those last two crashes of the t-28 and the bixler might been the fault of those dying old year 2014 2200 packs. Remember one flew for a sold 5 min on the dji450 quad copter for night flying. Then the next pack lasted 2 min and the "auto save the quad kicked in it landed itself before it could fall from the sky. Aslo my order arrive with my 3300 6s genace packs arrive for the 500 trex and they are sweet!. I took all of the batteries and set them up on my big charger to charge and discharge to storage three times to break them in before flying them. The old glaciers for the 500 were 3000 mah so getting the 300 should give me some extra flight time and went from 30c to 60 c to take the beating of the 3d work and high head speed.

Yes we see a lot of smoke. The heat is coming up from the high 90's last week to 103-108 this week for 6 days.... Jpee out

jpee
Old 09-10-2020, 11:12 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JPEE,

I like the LED addition to your charging case - looks good and bright! Sorry to hear about the missed opportunity to fly due to a misunderstanding in scheduling (glad it was nothing serious). Hope you were able to find some time since to get out there. I also hope the heat has quelled a bit by now and you have a bit of a breather. Not fun being outside, even at night, when the temps are still up there.

Thanks for the pictures of your flying area to show how far you guys are being out there. Also crazy is how often it seems you get passerby's just walking through your areas.

Your Mavic repairs - Ouch! But as you said you would rather keep the machine your already comfortable flying, so no point in getting a second machine.

Got a few things going on but will wait for another time for that.

Wanted to first remember this day for all those who lost their lives 19 years ago...

Mark
Old 09-11-2020, 07:39 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thank you for you complement on the chargers box lighting.
Yes we have gone flying two more times and fun was had by all!
Yes the heat has come down to the high 90s and a touch over 100° which is doable rather than the 100-17-18-19° daily. Right now Friday 3:00 it’s 92 and climbing. My hour of peak temps is 4:00 p.m. daily.
Guess what? My Mavic came in last night so today I took her for a spin.....except she would not bind to the transmitter. I started looking close and the back of the copter, the camera both had the shipping clear plastic over them like NEW ONE has. It did not take me long to ascertain this was a brand new spanking Mavic Pro! It has a few refinements the other did not re the camera. But that said, I had to watch two YT videos to learn how to bind it. Those guys spoke so fast and are punching in TX inputs I had to pause and rewind, but the video number two was bomb and she bound and flies like a dream. A new Mavic Pro from DJI is $800 so this upgrade for a 4 year old Mavic is sweet.

Sadly today is a day we shall never forget nor will we forget where we were when it happened. It was break time in my shop and my whole crew was there with the TV on. Then when the TV went to show the first tower hit we saw the second two get hit my grew screamed, it was unbelievable, we all sat there for the rest of the day in shock! For me it’s burned deeply in my memory.

John

Last edited by JPEE; 09-11-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

That was a nice picture you posted. We all have stories of that day - where we were, what we were doing when we found out. At the end of that day I I was outside on my break just reflecting on all that happened and remembered looking up and not a single plane was in the sky, not even a contrail. Everything had been grounded.

Mark
Old 09-13-2020, 12:42 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thanks Mark, sadly it’s a day in my lifetime that I shall never forget. To me.....it is the second time in history the United States of Amercia was attacked on her soil by a foreign power sighting Pearl Harbor as the first. The third day sadly etched into my memory is the JFK assignation. I know right where I was standing in school when our Principle announced of the school PA system of the event and then shortly there after he came back in tears reporting the President had died.

Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Cuba Bay of Pigs, Vietnam that we have gone to war with............we now can go there on vacation! Think about the treasure that we lost in those involvements and now you can walk those streets on vacation, that’s just not right!

John

Last edited by JPEE; 09-13-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:45 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Its quite ironic how things unfold with countries and the events that involve them. Take China and Japan, during WWII one an ally the other enemy. Now roles reversed. Sort of. Its so bad that NASA isn't even allowed to participate in information exchange with their space program activities. The European space agency, though does and I'm sure they have benefited from the exchange, esp with the recent missions to the moon.

Well, I wanted to congratulate you on your brand new, never used Mavic! What a terrific surprise for you. And you mentioned upgrades to the camera, sounds like icing on the cake. Glad you found some youtube videos to help you along with the software part.

I hear you on the heat - nice you got a lil'bit oh cooling down. I am personally ready for fall weather and cool temps.

I have been working on the railroad, all the live long day. lol Actually made some good progress. Will have to post a video to show you when I finish editing it.

Mark
Old 09-14-2020, 01:28 PM
JPEE

Yes Mark, we do live in a odd world. Foreign aid to countries so they’ll be our friends. Of course I am not oblivious to note the military advantage that gives us to outlying Countries that we may have to dust off from time to time with our Jets. We share so much space tech with Russia, and we both benefit as the ISS shows. But turn back and it’s a dagger in the back or a possibly an inter feared with election in the USA. While I understand the good Lord gave us free will, he also left the crumb in the mix of power and selfishness which has plagued the earth since the beginning, Cain and Abel is an example.

I can’t wait to see an update to the railroad and what crafty things you’ve got going in your head that she’ll be added to the board. This is what dreams are made of my friend. You have the skills and an idea in your head and you’ll make it happen! We are looking for another week here of three days over 100° Right now it’s 95.9 at 2:30 PM. We still have some smoke but not quite as bad as the last three days where we have had to stay in the house.

OK my friend, you and yours have a great rest of your week.

John

Last edited by JPEE; 09-14-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:31 AM
Aframomum

Well, that took a bit longer than expected! So here's the video - its a little long so bear with me...

Mark

Old 09-17-2020, 03:32 PM
JPEE

Lost it all again!

kept a back up copy in word, thank goodness
Old 09-17-2020, 03:35 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking so much in creating a wonderful video. The names of the cars, their dates of operation, in short your train knowledge was a bit shocking! I do love that your not just a weekend dad throwing track down to play a bit and let George just play, to what end. Your passing on your love for knowledge which is a wonderful for gift for him and honestly, I think help him in his daily life and studies making him eager for more information on topics.

Your video itself was great, thank goodness you didn’t wave the camera around and make me sea sick lol. It was really was nice my friend, well done indeed. I was able to grasp the whole operation and it’s a big one indeed. Again your skills in carpentry and math laying out the turns and grades for the trains is great too. I wished you lived closer, I do.
Here is some things for you I hope you’ll find interesting. The Angels flight trolley/train is 22 miles from me which we have ridden and the second railroad museum is about 60 miles and on my bucket list to do. I have been to the great frame museum in Sacramento California as well and spent the day in aw!

https://socalrailway.org/

Last edited by JPEE; 09-17-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:37 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Glad you liked the video - I did try to keep it as steady as I could while panning around the entire layout. I have to say its nice to have trains running finally. I was able to do more work today on the HO section, basically finished the brace section the extends out from the benchwork and supports the overhanging loop part. I was also able to set the track in its sort of permanent location so tomorrow I can glue it down.

One thing I discovered while searching for ways to clean my track was I forgot an important part after doing my cleaning - conductivity. With the acetone I was cleaning the rails but I wasn't applying anything to the track afterwards to enhance the conductivity between the rail and the wheels. I also found my old Deoxit kit - it was used it to clean those horrible linear servo's on the mcpx back in the day. After going over the tracks with the Deoxit cleaner then the Deoxit gold the trains run much smoother, even at slow speeds. The Deoxit gold leaves this thin residue on the rails that acts as a conductor so the electricity goes right from the rails to the wheels with no interruption. Even worked well on my son's old ebay HO loco's. Did a section of test track - cleaned, conditioned and worked great. Had those loco's running back and forth in no time!

That Angels Flight has quite a history! I saw a video of it from the 1960's and its very different looking from what it is today. A lot less scary too!

I have had the fortunate opportunity to take my son to a train museum while visiting his grandparents in PA. They had a very nice collection, both inside and outside, plus a ride along steamer that would take you on a line through Amish country. Never can go wrong with a train museum.

Have a good weekend,

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 09-19-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:20 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I can’t tell you how nice it is to now see in my minds eye your layout and understand where your working and your progress per the master plan. An example is, where you braced the section of track that sticks outwards towards you from the main layout.

I would have used acetone also for my first try. I will be frank with you......I have never heard of Deoxit, but you can bet I looked up real quick. Next time I am out I will pick up a can just to have around. Hope it works well on my muffler bearings LOL, just wantEd to make grin!

I will admit when we rode the Angeles Flight RR I stayed by the side facing inward so I would have a place to jump off on to tracks rather than over the other side to certain death. Yea Yea.....I know it’s been there a 100 years and now is all brand new but still when your going up and then look 👀 oh boy. Yes the train Museums are great and good wholesome fun for the family too.

My tail anti-rotation gear should arrive for the 700 MD Hughes tomorrow!

Today we have had blue skies as we did yesterday with no smoke that I can see or taste and it’s just a gift. Even at 91° I only came in a few minutes ago and it’s really bearable if you sit outside in the shade so I am enjoying some good weather. If I can get that gear in my 700 might be able to drag Jason over to the airport and give her a try one day this week. Take care and I hope those storms that have been coming up through New Orleans etc. and dragging over Florida spare you.

On the fires we’re having here in California, just the one big one has burned up 103,000 acres. There are 640 acres in a square mile! Do the math and that comes out to 156 mi.², can you believe that......and that’s just from the fire by me.

Take care

Last edited by JPEE; 09-21-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:57 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I'm glad to hear you were having some nice weather and more importantly, clear skies and relief from all the fires near you. I've been reading the reports of people staying (or returning) to protect their houses from being looted. They were even reported to be in rather large groups, and I can see their position. Protecting their houses from looters and also from small and newly developed fires that if not gotten to in time could have destroyed their houses. The fire services are spread quite thin and really can't cover everything. Your right, that is a lot of land being burned. Its sad that one of the larger fires was caused by fireworks from a gender reveal party.

I was wondering if your gear came in and if you had the chance to try her out yet?

I had another go around with getting work done on the layout - got the first section of track laid for the HO side. I also took advantage of some Labor Day specials and got 2 trolleys - one N scale and one HO scale. They both have decoders but the HO will work with normal DC voltage so we can use my sons powerpack for it. Its decoder also has sound so it has bells, whistles, and a spark simulation on its overhead wire attachment. Very cool to see it in action. Don't worry, I've got a video in the works for you.

The N scale trolley is more simple with no sound. Just a simple light in front and back. Probably too small for anything more! Do you remember Mr. Rogers? That's what I feel I have when I see my little trolley running around the layout. Here's some pictures to assist your minds eye...

Mark

P.S. - Looks like I found another use for my lipo's!! lol

Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 PM
JPEE

Mark,

Yes that fire started by the idiots is terrible and now with the loss of life of the young smoke jumper Hot Shot makes it a true sad affair. Those responsible should be held accountable.

The new gears, four of them arrived and they too are wrong, but this time it’s on me. They sent me the asked for gears but my part number was wrong. I just set them aside and will mail back and pay the freight because at least I can recover $20-22.00. Yesterday I drove with sample in hand to the Hobby Shop that supports or fly field. So I drove 22 miles each way to find no part and he cannot even get them, he said the distributors have some warehouses and parts are not available. I came home looked again and FOUND IT in blade rather than white and went to order, but it is on BO at every Heli store. So I said to myself, self? this hasn’t gone well has it? This afternoon I pulled the 700 out of the Fuselage and installed the slant lower and new upper and clutch that I got in the beginning on my wrong order. I kept and thought someday I’ll have to convert over, well that day was today. Mark, when done I checked over and pre-flighted every part on that heli and there’s not one bearing and plastic ball link that loose or worn, that suckers like 6 years old! Not to sound full of myself but I guess when you build one right and tight and keep it from mother Earth they’ll do very well. I did have to mod the motors lower bearing block as the new gear was so close to rubbing and I dread about this problem on HF I was very cautious. I put a piece of blue tape on the mount and assembled everything 50% and spun the gears and then took it apart and there was BLACK in the on the tape, so tells you how tight the fit is. So I ground some of the mount down with a Dremel. I did a hover in the back yard and she was sweet! We are moving back into the hundreds again starting tomorrow and more so on Sunday so will be a while for I get a chance to go out and fly.

Yuor being faced with the different new Trollies and Engines having different voltages is making you work a little harder I see but your conquering them as they arise! The new cars look great!!! Love the electric car with the mast that touches the wire overhead. Don’t laugh, but I’ve ridden on those and remember them as a little boy in the sparks as they would buzz up and down the street. That’s nice that you mentioned yours has a little sparks device that makes sparks come out of the top to what...... a great simulation!

Mr. Rogers, I know who is, but never watched the show.

What a wonderful example of thinking out of the box and utilizing your Lipo’s. No charging required either, he he he.

JP
Old 09-28-2020, 06:48 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I really enjoyed your video of your MD500 shell and how the 700 fits inside. Such simplicity - similar to tongue and groove design for the front and 2 screws to hold in the back. But when you think about it...your not doing high stress maneuvers with it so it holds just fine for what it was made to do. It is amazing that bearings and links hold for so long when you don't crash! But the overall shape of the heli does reflect on the attention to detail during the build, and that shows a lot for you. Sounds like you went to 2 corners of the world to try and get those gears but in the end you were able to do a slight modification to make things work. Did you notice a lower sound level with the slant gears verses the straight ones? I hear they are supposed to be less noisy. When you do a test hover is it in the shell or are you able to do it with the heli alone? I guess you'd have to add landing gear and the boom support equipment so I think its in the shell. Duh on me!

Sorry to hear about your temps going back up again. We had some nice fall-like weather for several days last week then it went right back up. Evil tease! But it was nice while it lasted.

Good thing I have the train set to work on while its yucky hot out. Got some more work done on the HO side and also had to work on getting some of the N side yard done. Had to figure where I wanted to place the elevation supports so it wouldn't get in the way of the N track, so I did a rough run for the yard. And then I discovered I had run out of supplies for both the N and HO - track and roadbed. Ugh, to be on a role and have it come to a screeching halt. So while waiting for my order I got to switch my attention to other things.

I had some electrical wiring to clean up so that was easily done. Then I discovered an area on the layout where some of my loco's had issues - derailments and electrical stops. Its amazing what you discover when you start running trains, both directions and forward/backwards. So my problem area was with a turnout (switch), and it was only intermittent. But since it was on the mainline (and in the back corner and soon to be blocked by the elevated HO track) I didn't want to leave it. It was to be used to connect a siding but I decided to change that so pulled the problem turnout out and replaced it with a straight section. Of course the turnout was a few cm longer than my straight sections so I had to custom cut a section from some extra flex track I had. Still being new to cutting track I pulled out my Dremel tool with some new cutting wheels and went to it. Thank goodness for youtube as I found some tutorials on cutting track with a Dremel. Went perfectly. And now with the new section installed all the trains are able to go around with no stopping and no derailments. Success!

Mark

Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

You are 100% right.... it is close to a tongue and groove a carpenters trademark. And you are certainly right in saying that there are no maneuvers or a lot of torque between the helicopter and the fiberglass body. However, with that said when Phil was at the Heli hullabaloo up in Washington last year a guy had that same helicopter and was doing loops and rolls and flying inverted. Don’t know what type of mount he had but I thought, personally that just seems a waste of time to do with a scale helicopter. To my knowledge, the only real life helicopter that can truly do that or close to it is the Red Bull helicopter.

Thank you for the compliment for my skill at my builds. And just for you this morning while I was in my computer I went back to see when I purchased my 700 so I too would know how old it is, guess what..... July 29, 2011, how do you like those apples? The price tag was $1200 at that time. But as a reminder I did sell off the ESC and the flight controller stabilization unit, some thing from a line as I recall and put in the contract ESC and the V bar for stabilization and Gyro.

Can’t answer whether it’s going to be quieter, honestly I don’t think I’ll be able to tell because it’s inside that fuselage other than one window open on each side it’s all enclosed. Now that we’re back in the hundred plus every day for a week I won’t be able to fly it until possibly next weekend. But if I see something that stands out I’ll let you know I just don’t expect it.

To answer your question if I could fly it after slipping it out yes I could, I always keep the landing gear with me should I have God for bid an accident in the fuselage I could slide the helicopter out put screws through those feet that are existing now and be ready to go of course, I’d have to put back on the tail box. To play it down and dirty I could probably do it in less than 30 minutes safely.

Please see the attached three videos of Phil with his bell 209 and starting out with his bench work and then flying it with the wooden struts instead of landing gear and lastly note the noise even with the fuselage on. That’s where those gears run over the top there’s a name for it but I can’t think of it right now. You’ll notice when he flies it with the scale body he does not have the fuse tail boom on at that point just the bare torque tube and tail.

I am sure your trains are more difficult to have parts on hand far far beyond our helicopters and planes because you have so many different cars and engines and track gauges which requires quite a parts inventory. I hear you coming down to a grinding halt for some small part but I’m sure there’s other things you can do on the layout. My goodness that is just totally news to me that you can cut and rework what you call flexible track. I am going to look that up just to see what it is on YouTube. Your ability and “success” with your Dremel work and bending track is spectacular my friend.

Take care my friend........

Old 10-06-2020, 01:38 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Your friends heli sounds great...I don't know if its the 4 bladed head or the acoustics from the shell but it sounded really, really nice.

I wanted to finally post that video of the progress I made to the train layout so far...

sometimes work and life really get busy. Wish I could be retired! lol

Mark

Old 10-06-2020, 03:06 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

You have made substantial progress on the layout, it looks great. All of your planning and then to make it come to fruition shows. I love the Trolley 🚃 with the sparking contact pole. The crackling sound is very lifelike and with the light at the end of the pole, wow!
Phil and I ran two locomotive trains on his garden RR and your absolutely right, after awhile even starting one train half the track later, some way like magic they catch up and “can” collide! We would get to chatting and the next thing you know....we were much to close and the track crossings! As always you layout is really coming along and I can’t wait see the station come together.

Congrats and thanks for the video

John
Old 10-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Thanks for the compliments on the layout. It really makes a difference when you can get some trains running to help with the inspiration to get things moving along. A garden railroad aye? At least with an outside RR you don't have to worry about setting up any scenery. lol

That's amazing that you've had your 700 for 9 years! When you build them right and they don't smack the ground they can go for quite some time, as your is testament to.

Speaking of heli's, I dusted off mine and took her for a spin this past weekend. I kept it to just simple figure 8's as its been awhile since I've flown so wanted to take it easy. I had two nice flights and more importantly, the weather was cool and it felt good to get outside.

While taking a break from my trains I decided to start doing some repairs to a few of my jets. My F22 needed some work done on its fixed landing gear and I need to place an order with Motion for some parts for both the F16 and A6. I was also able to repair the A6 fuse as my last flight had another bad landing and broke off the nose completely. Some toothpicks, CF strips and gorilla glue and its as good as new. Well, sort of. lol I'm not ready to replace the fuse until I can get more comfortable landing. Or until I can't put the fuse together anymore. Whichever comes first!

I also took your advice about searching for a new flying area. The construction has begun on the street that I usually fly from and so the road has gotten covered in dirt and rocks - not the best combination for fan units but still doable for the heli. As luck would have it, I was driving around last week and just came across a new subdivision getting started - they still need to pave the roads so I have a few weeks to wait...which gives me time to get my jets in flying order again.

Mark
Old 10-11-2020, 02:58 PM
JPEE

Sorry Mark I could not get these link to be open on the page for some reason, but you and Mr. G will surely love them of Phil’s Garden RR.

I am glad you were to make repairs to your A6, thats great to hear. Same with the F16 and F22. If you can repair landing gear, gorilla others, whatever it take to keep them in the WE do it don’t we. Glad you got to take your Heli out to.

The new housing tract sounds like the perfect place for that baby and as soon as they pave the streets then you can go ahead and take your planes up there with you too. Your son can fly out there perhaps now with his plane..... dirt streets won’t hurt that plane.

Thanks for the kinds words on the 700e, that pretty amazing isn’t it. Enjoy the videos my friend.
JPEE

https://youtu.be/u9fVpGF6USQ

https://youtu.be/fhLDkm6mt7o

Old 10-12-2020, 04:14 PM
JPEE

Mark some are repeats but I wanted to try and get one more or two more.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 PM
Aframomum

Hey Mr. JPEE,

Your friend Phil has quite the garden railroad, what a spectacle to see! I didn't get the real scope of the size until the video where you see a good portion of the backyard then you see just how large the layout is. Wow! So he and his wife both worked on building it? Very cool. I'm curious as to how long it took them to get it all together? Some of those video's were dated quite a few years ago. The BBQ video was great - dinner and a train show.

Tonight I'm soldering more track feeders since I had added more track for my yard, and also have made more progress on the HO side.

I don't know if I mentioned this but my dad brought down his old telescope last year - he's had it for years stored in the attic and in the process of cleaning up wanted to pass it down. It still works and to date I've gotten to show my son the moon, Venus, and Jupiter. The moon was the easiest as its so big and easy to track, Venus we got to see this past spring when it was up in the early evening. The most surprising thing about Venus was you saw it in phase form, kinda like the moon when its a quarter moon phase. Didn't expect that. Jupiter looked amazing, just like a picture in a book with all the cloud swirls and colors. But very small. We got to see it this past July. Right now Mars comes up early in the evening so when we get a chance were going to take a look. Saturn is also up but is very tiny in the sky it'll be very hard to find. My dad's telescope is about 30 years old, so no fancy automated tracking that you hook up to a computer and it finds the planet for you kind of thing. This is old school where you try and line up the planet and move the scope in small fractions to get the planet in view. I'll tell you right now, it took my 45 minutes to get Jupiter in view - that's patience! But its fun, gets him off his device and outside in the night air.

Mark
Old 10-18-2020, 01:28 PM
JPEE

Oct 18, 2020
Hi Mark,

Yes, they went out into the forests and lava flows there in Oregon and picked up the rock and small pieces of wood. They laid out there Vision, then set the rock and with 90% of the structures they built them by hand. Those they bought they modded them to make them theirs. They cut down the wood to build by hand all of the trestles. Same with the tunnel with setting the rock on place for the tunnels. The scale cars and figure they purchased but he has modded some his RR cars too. I built and gave him two big power supplies 12-24 volt to have on standby by should one of his crap out. He is all about scale and if you go to his FB Page you see all of this Tanks, Boats, Planes ah many, helicopters galore. He does his building and airbrushing to finish the details. I don’t recall how long it took but he is always adding controllers and new engines, they track ways have not changed. When we were there, it took the four of us for a total of 32 man hours to pick up and buildings and props and trains wrapping each piece in paper and put into boxes and then take into his shop for winter storage before the snowfalls came.

After seeing your work I am sure your feeder soldering Will come primo!

No you have not mentioned anything about telescopes, but I can still see my first one as a kid with the 90° eyepiece rather than a direct look through telescope. It was about 12-14” long and was white. Wow I haven’t thought about the tat thing in 60 years.......yet I can close my eyes and see my brothers and I sitting at the patio table looking at the moon.
I never new Venus got the phase form like the moon, I learned something new thanks to you.
Have a friends for many years who lives back east but he had a big telescope and designed the software for it to follow the planet it was to follow. He was, is a computer engineer. It was something to see as the servo motors were activated and made scope follow. Your 100% on the money giving another facet of a hobby beyond sitting at a computer for many hours a day for Mr. G......

Sending you an email.

John P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.