Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 01:41 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Mark, just a quick reply and thank you for the link I did go look up the track cleaning box car. It’s hilarious how something so simple to make will do the job. What’s not simple is the guys that try different things to get to that point to find out that is a pretty good way to meet the needs for track cleaning. Outstanding I can’t wait to see what you build.
I am glad to hear you’re getting your wind back LOL enable to run and exercise and build your body back up. There’s nothing like a critical illness to show you how good you had it before you contracted or got hurt whatever the case may be and you’re back on your feet.

you guys take care and it’s really hot in California 96 today about the same yesterday someplace is up to 99 waiting for to cool off a bit and I got a guy that wants to go to the field and see a drone fly in real time. He’s interested in getting one but he wants to see what it’s all about first.

JPEE was here, Kilroy was busy today LOL
Old 04-30-2021, 07:11 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi JPEE,

I was able to finish up my first DIY cleaner car last night and was amazed at how effective it was! I ran it around the layout for about 45 minutes and it did wonders. I had all my loco's running at the same time - even one of my finickiest one's had no problems after a few laps. It's really crazy how simple it is but does a thorough job. And after, I just hit the bottom of the wood with some sandpaper to clean off the grime and its ready to go again. I'm going to make another one with a spare boxcar tonight so I can have two running on separate trains around the layout whenever its needed.

Sorry to hear about the heat already - we hit 90 today and you could definitely feel it!

Mark

Old 05-01-2021, 01:56 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark, My congratulations on a very nice job creating your track cleaner. It’s just as I saw in the video perhaps a bit wider. Your photos say it all with the black dirt so visible on the wood. By all means if you can have two box cars set up that way your maintenance will be zero to those hard-to-reach areas of track. we are so much alike and are taking the time and detail to our hobby projects. It does not take much longer to do it right rather than rush through it and have no pride. again, that is a very nice job, you are a craftsman! Thank you for taking the time to shoot the photos and post them I do appreciate it!

JPEE
PS: Thanks for your support regarding my testing. Today I took 12 tests and pass them all some with plenty of room to spare for the high score and some just at the score for passing. But I have another 15 days to keep testing here at home to ensure I make it on the first try. I could go probably tomorrow and take the test and pass and move on via zoom. But I want to go to the rec room at the church about 15 miles away and sit down with the guys and live the experience, so I am sticking with taking the test live in person.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I was able to get some work done on the layout my past few days off. Of course it did help that some of my supplies that I was running low on also came in around the same time. So I got some extra track laid for both the HO and N yards. I had to order an extra switch as all the ones I had were right hand and yes, I needed a left hand one. Such a logistical mess. lol I also was running low on roadbed so that was nice to get another roll.

Thanks for the compliments on the cleaner car - my second one went together much faster. Now its nice that I have 2 running on the layout at any given time and absolutely no issues with any of my other loco's. Speaking of loco's - I need to stop looking at model train websites as I'm itching to get something. Was looking at a consist of F7 A/B - they really are iconic in early diesel loco's. But I'm going to try and hold off as I'm not really ready to do decoder purchase and installs for both the A and B units right now. (Be nice to finish the layout first lol)

I'm glad to hear you are able to take an in-person test at your local church. As you said, its about living the experience of it rather than just taking the test online via zoom. I never realized you had so much testing to finish - 12 in one day sounds brutal. lol

I was able to finish up a video today of the layout and the cleaning cars:

Mark
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM
JPEE

Mark,
LOL layout logistics are always fun as well as what parts you have on hand generally speaking....... are not you need at the time.
After watching the video earlier of the track cleaner in motion I knew the two you built would be the ticket and do you well. I speculate that the black grim you get off the track could be.....some plastic off the wheels of the cars, that said I feel the track really picks up the shmoots from the engines steel wheels and track contact with the DC dc power arcing so small you cannot see it with your naked eye. Any who.....the track cleaners will maintain your layout nicely. Would it be fair to say that you’ll have to do the same for smaller track Ng?
Decoder for the engines?

An acquaintance of mine took his online a couple of weeks ago and they have you take your camera phone and walk about the room you were going to test in. They made him start with the floor and under the beds on every horizontal surface, then move up and look across the top of all the beds other furniture tables in the room he was in, next they had him Stream all of his walls and artwork aquariums posters looking for any signs of information to cheat while he’s taking the test. But the one that shocked him was when they had him hold his phone up and cover every square inch of the ceiling! Seems recently for another home zoom test someone had taken their camera at request of the testing committee checked every wall and floor as they did with my friend but never looked at the ceiling. Near the end they found as they watched him take the test he kind a looked up from time to time, so they had him take the camera and face the ceiling and there were all the helpful notes and what have you. Yeah again, zoom testing.... that’s not like being in the room with 19 other men and women taking the test and getting their hurrah right there when they check your test and everybody gets a handshake and a pat on the back. Doing it on zoom is like getting married all alone LOL.

I cannot thank you enough for the time in the effort you put into the video, you are a skilled cameraman to say the least. It really gives the viewer the scope of the detail in the work let alone just the layout itself that’s gone into your railroad yard. With the two trains you had in motion moving about the tracks was a bit like looking at fish in aquarium. It was very relaxing and that they were just barely moving I think is what brought that point home so you, me could enjoy it. Not to sound discriminatory against women but...... little boys got the train sets for Christmas and the girls got dolls but it does take me back to my childhood when I watch the trains on the roll and in motion, it’s just relaxing to ones self and fills at least my head with good memories.

JP
PS: I will be sending to an email about my grandsons big surprise day before yesterday with two 30 sec videos.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:17 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Glad you liked the video - I really tried to make sure I was very steady while holding the camera and not move around too fast. The video was of the N scale track and the cleaners were 2 N scale boxcars I had from my layout back in 2008, recently converted. I still can't get over how much grime gathers on the tracks just from running the trains. I have been experimenting by running just one loco at a time with a cleaner car and see how much is picked up. Just want to see if there is any difference between the different loco's.

Sorry about the model railroad jargon - a decoder is a small circuit board that you put into the loco. So, when you buy a loco you also have to buy a decoder as well. It's part of the DCC system of controlling the trains. My son's HO set uses the old DC powerpacks b/c its a lower voltage setting. DCC uses around 12V - all the time. DC is variable from 0 - 12V. So a short will cause less damage with DC verses DCC.

I had to read your online testing comment twice just to make sure I got what you said - someone was trying to cheat by posting notes on the ceiling. What??? That is just crazy. Some people...

I get the whole in-person thing - you get to enjoy your accomplishment with all the others in the room and then have time afterwards to talk and make acquaintances.

Your grandson's video's were terrific. That looked like an R44 - Wow!

I can imagine you are just so proud of his accomplishments in that field. One that you initially planted the idea and helped to nurture it and see it develop over time. The sky's really the limit for him!

Mark
Old 05-12-2021, 05:26 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Yes, I did love the video, your getting so good at it sometimes I think your Huell Houser and Louie the camera man is backing you up.

Now I think I understand, the Locomotives come without the DDC board so “going out on a limb here” so you can put the board in you want for your particular needs or voltage. The HOs are already set and you just pick up the transfer of the power from the wheels.

Saturday is my big day, I feel good and have been quizzing 10 times per day 35 questions each. I expect when you say R44 is a Robinson. Turns out his boss owns the restaurant at the airfield where he takes his flying lessons so he’s working in the restaurant to make a few bucks then walk across the street to the school and then go flying but his boss is really taking a liking to him lucky kid.
PROUD.......doesn’t even begin to say how happy I am and that I placed the bug in his ear! He is doing me proud in his own way.

Keep your fingers crossed for me I know you will and I’ll let you know if I make it, I mean when I make it got to be positive.
JP

Last edited by JPEE; 05-12-2021 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:46 PM
Aframomum

Hello Mr. JPEE,

Did you already have your big test? I know you said 15 days on your post from May 1, so curious minds are inquiring!

I know I said I wasn't going to purchase that loco set I mentioned earlier this month but, yeah. That idea lasted a whole week or so. lol

Actually, my reasoning for getting it earlier than later was, I am discovering in the model train world, technology is forcing basic loco units (those that you purchase a decoder separately) to be replaced by more expensive units (already have a decoder installed plus sound). These loco units that have a sound decoder w/ speaker installed are much more expensive then their basic (non-decoder) counterparts. And usually they no longer carry the basic units after they are out of stock. So that is what made my decision.

Here's the loco set that I got:

Mark
Old 05-19-2021, 06:12 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thank you for remembering and yes I took the test on May 15 Saturday last. I took the test and was very confident and thought I got this, everything came back I remembered seeing on my sample tests that I’ve been taking at home. But I did get a curveball and out of the 430 questions in the pool and then giving me 35 to answer I still ran into two that I had never seen before and did not know the answer to so I know that was a 50-50 chance on a X on those. I still felt good on how I did and then the test inspectors as they gathered up. Once those were all turned in and gone over by two different judges they walk up to you with a manila folder and lift it to tell you whether you pass or fail very quietly. They are not there to humiliate you or say why didn’t you do better.... they were wonderful wonderful men. They also will not tell you what your score was because, it’s a pass or fail of the 35 questions you only have to answer 26 correctly, that’s a real nice cushion. Glad I did it with the other guys there than to do a zoom that’s for sure. Now I’m just waiting to get my licensed “call sign ex: K6JLXR” to be posted on the FCC site then I am good to broadcast. I don’t need anything in my hand, it just has to be posted to operate but an email will come with a copy of the license.

I love the new engine, I am going to show my age by saying as a little boy across the street was a vacant lot and across the next street after that was a few acres and then the railroad tracks so I could see them go by all day long. That particular engine model with what I called the “sad eyes, the windshields” used to be yellow as I recall and those engines just always stuck in my mind. I love it I love it I love it, Congratulations! Thank you for explaining about the the coders. Now I see there’s phase 1 old school and now phase 2 new school LOL.

Boy the beauty of your trains is that they’re not like the airplanes, these never go down crash and have to be repaired or replaced just good maintenance it’s a real grand hobby for sure. I know you and little Mr. G will never give up planes totally but this is got to be a good side hobby for sure. As you pointed out they don’t carry the old decoders so that’s all school now your end of the new stuff so clearly that would make my decision to to go with the latest and the greatest.
I hope your Mrs. are all back to feeling 100% as well...... blessing to the entire family.

JPEE
Btw, you can apply for a vanity callsign if you choose too. I might look at, as an example K6JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 05-19-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

What great news to hear of your passing the exam - now all you need to do is wait for your license to post! I like the K6JPEE.

More later... (just wanted to post a quick congrats!)

Mark
Old 06-01-2021, 12:19 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Congrats again on your new FCC license - and before the price hike!

Not a lot has been happening here - summer is here with so is the heat. I decided to get a drip irrigation system to water my wife's garden as she is out almost every day watering all the plants. I got the main line run and a few sprayers hooked up just to test the system, now have to run all the side lines to get all the individual plants. She's got pumpkins, bell peppers, okra, tomatoes, lemon trees, and several others I can't remember right now.

I have been making some progress on the train layout. I finished up a few more lines of the HO yard and a siding. I also started wiring up some of the automatic switch machines, so now George can throw the switch with the flip of a...switch. lol

I also got my new 'sad eyes' loco. Installed the decoder in both the A and B units (that was fun), then discovered both had issues when running. Both would run for a bit then stop. After a bit of research I found out I needed to solder the pickup leads to the decoder board. Yay, soldering. Got it finished up and now both engines are working. Have them in a consist and they are pulling a nice 9-car freight load. Did I mention I picked up a few new freight cars?

Hope you had a nice Memorial Day!

Mark
Old 06-08-2021, 08:24 PM
Aframomum

Just wanted to give a space news update...

Jeff Bezos and his brother are going to fly in their New Shepard suborbital flight on July 20.
Bezos to join first crew for New Shepard suborbital spaceflight – Spaceflight Now

A Dragon commercial craft which launched on a Falcon 9 rocket on June 3 rendezvous with the ISS on June 5.
Dragon capsule delivers 7,300 pounds of cargo to International Space Station – Spaceflight Now
Boeing's Starliner second test flight is scheduled to launch July 30.

NASA's Juno spacecraft which is studying Jupiter did a flyby of the moon Ganymede with some closeup pictures.
Jupiter’s moon Ganymede seen up close for first time in 21 years – Spaceflight Now

ULA is set to test fueling procedures for its new Vulcan rocket with Blue Origins BE-4 engines
United Launch Alliance nears first fueling test on Vulcan rocket – Spaceflight Now

A Russian movie will begin filming on the ISS with a flight on Soyuz on October 5.
Russian actress, Japanese entrepreneur cleared for space station visits – Spaceflight Now

SpaceX is preparing its first commercial all civilian crew to fly to space to orbit Earth and return
Final two passengers named for first all-civilian mission to orbit Earth – Spaceflight Now

SpaceX bought 2 oil rigs to convert into floating Starship launch pads
SpaceX Starship offshore platform - Wikipedia

Busy year!

Mark
Old 06-12-2021, 06:24 PM
JPEE

Thanks Mark for all of those exciting links.

We did see and clip on the News with Mr. Bezos and brother in tow speaking their planned trip. Not on your life as young and wealthy as he is would I take that chance on a first flight, to much to live for in my eyes.
As far as the rest as the rest of the links, yes indeed it is a very busy and tenuous year to meet all of those goals……safely. So far SpaceX record speaks for itself, it’s spelled SUCCESS! It is so funny that both Bezos and Musk do this without for the most part “I think” tax dollars. Now I know they work hand in had with the government to be sure, but unlike NASA who digs deep into our pockets.

JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 06-12-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

My budding in Michigan got his trains up today and his new dual transformer to run both trains.

Enjoy, camera is shaky as he was excited.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

Your friend has the exact same F7 loco set (A and B units in CN livery) that I have, except in HO scale - good choice! His layout is looking to be off to a good start. Those are some long freights. lol I like the simplicity of his Tech 7 controller - keeps everything nice and compact. Thanks for sharing!

I have to agree to your earlier post - lots of crazy stuff going on in the world. Sometimes you really have to disconnect from it and just enjoy what you have in your own little part of the world. It did get me thinking if you were planning to do your AZ trip this year? Might be what the 'doctor' ordered you know?

We are planning to visit my wife's family in PA this summer - going to be flying also. There is so much uncertainty with travel plans but I have to look on the bright side and consider all will be fine.

That's about it for now...

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 06-18-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:52 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

That’s pretty interesting you both have some of the same trains or engines I should say. He’s a real guy for perfection and when he checked the transformer the new tech seven he found that one side put out 2 V less than the other but it’s negotiable because he doesn’t run the trains wide-open so he just adjust them so they are equal.

Yes the world is quite topsy-turvy is they used to say meaning upside down if you’re not old enough to remember that term. It’s kind of scary, some guys were talking all the ham radio having a full on meeting about religion and government inoculating everybody handing out money making everybody dependent on the government to live rather than get a job and how this is slowly being slipped in as loosely communismWhere are the government will owe and everything and we will take whatever they give us to eat and houses. I really don’t think that’s pie in the sky I think there is some foundation for that if you’re really evaluate it. Yes you’re right about disconnecting I very seldom ever watch the news after the days highlights of murder rape and Mayham then I change the channel so I don’t have to hear the politics.

Oh that sounds great to be able to go back and see your in-laws this summer. The icing on the cake….. you’re going to be flying again! ! I hear you on the uncertainty of travel, if you go on an airplane your breathing recycled air, if you go in an automobile that’s fine but you have to stay at a hotel and God knows what’s going on in there in the way of cleaning up after the last guest. I am not a fatalist just a realist lol. One of the gifts in our life is having a trailer to pull in sleep where we want and that our surroundings are Covid free.

I have been playing around with my ham radio and learning more listening to people I’m not doing much chiming in yet.
I listen to these guys on a system called WIN systemIn that group has repeaters globally! So I can pick up my microphone and with advance notice talk to my friend in any state of these United States or is one guy was doing and yes it’s still part of the United States talking to a guy in Hawaii the other one was in Arizona and the other one was in Anchorage Alaska they were having a three way conversation and it just sounds so weird that you can talk to people over the year globally. A lot of it is run through the Internet, I broadcast and talk to a repeater tower say 30 miles away it goes in that tower down to the base in the shack as it’s called and then it is tied to a computer and then goes to the next distant tower goes into that computer up the shoot and then re-broadcast off of there.
No AZ this year, I though I wished I could go. I will be still under doctors care through years end.

My friend, that’s all I’ve got. HAPPY FATHERS DAY

Old 06-26-2021, 04:38 AM
JPEE

My Buddy’s train and sound generator.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:10 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Hope you had a nice 4th of July. Luckily I had off this year (2 in a row!) so made the most of it this year. Spent a bit more than expected on fireworks and had a nice time. We also did some grilling - burgers and brats.

Now we are preparing for our first storm of the season. Still uncertain if it'll be a TS or a Cat I, but with all the rain we've been having most of the grounds already drenched. So definitely getting out the large drainage piping to help take the water away from the house that comes off the gutters.

We have also been keeping up with the collapsed building in S. Florida. They had to demolish the remaining portion of it to prevent it from possibly going into a neighboring building during the storm. Terrible situation that has affected so many families.

I had a bit of an issue with my car last week. First let me back up and get you caught up on some earlier work - I finally got my front wheel bearings installed. My biggest fear with that job was the required torque to tighten the spindle nut was 256ft/lbs. Damn that's alot! I did what I could and cranked on that breaker bar to tighten it. Drove around for several weeks and checked it periodically. Good and tight.

So last week was driving around and made a turn off the main road and heard a 'pop', then major grinding sound from the front passenger side. ***! Pulled into a parking lot and the wheel is angled outward. Oh crap! Turns out one of the bolts that held the strut to the spindle had unthread and come out. Found the bolt laying in the middle of the road. Long story short - got the car back home and used thread lock on all 4 bolts (surprisingly, the nuts were not all that tight). Crazy that I did that job nearly 3 years ago. I guess vibration from the road caused them to loosen up over time.

No damage to the wheel or suspension parts so that was a good outcome - not to mention I was going very slow doing a turn and not 60 on the highway!

Since replacing my front wheel bearings I discovered that my rear bearings are also going - they were just masked by the front ones making so much sound. So that's my next project to come.

I liked your video of your friends sound generator. Helps to add to the fun and realism. He sure does have a lot of freight cars!

Mark
Old 07-06-2021, 05:21 PM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

We stayed in and watched the Valley shoot off fire works. I took up the Mavic for 30 min catching big mortar shells exploding. I live one city block from the police department and the heliport is on the roof. Every time I turn on my controller for the Mavic drone I get a red screen that says; I’m in a flight pattern and to fly with caution. My neighbors trees are 40 feet tall so I only went up to 60 feet and felt comfortable with that plus sitting out in the front yard hovering over our house if I heard the helicopter I could drop it down quickly that 20 feet, I got some pretty good shots.
We had done burgers the night before so we just had a simple dinner on the Fourth of July. Now if I would’ve been a little closer to your house….you might have heard me knocking on your door for burgers and Bratz!

Oh my goodness God bless those souls that lost their lives that were trapped, and the one boy that got out. Then there’s those that worked so hard and endangered their own lives to try and save others, god bless them too.
We have some like building here in Marina Del Ray right by the water and our city engineers have gone over those buildings with a fine tooth comb and found they have some deep issues too! They say right now they are not going to ask the residents to leave but they’re looking deeper into the issues they found that are very much identical to the Florida incident.

256 ft/lbs no worries, have little man get on your back piggyback style and then you set a breaker bar on there and stand on it and there you go, you’ve got your 256 pounds. If not put a 50 pound bag of concrete under each arm. Do you have a torque wrench? I just went out and looked at my clicker torque wrench and it’s good for 210 pounds. I used to be a big boy at 220-230. Now with treatments down to 195. And like I said no problem put a knapsack on your back with a couple of barbell weights and you’ve got your 256 pounds and then just stand on that punk until it stops moving. There’s always away he he he.

Oh goodness the rear axle bearings, no easy job there and more than the physical work maybe this time on the rear end it’s something that the budget will allow you to have it done by a pro and save yourself the broken knuckles and worry. After this front end event with the nut coming loose you’re always gonna think in the back of your head……… am I going to have an axle slide out and with my wheels sticking out 3 feet next to the side of my car when I’m going down the road?

We are really having heat like we haven’t seen in many years. The lakes in Arizona and California where we get our water and our power are down as much as 40 feet. I can see you rationing coming very soon. They did this some years ago and made it illegal to water your yards and everybody had to let them die.

Just been messing with my ham radios and now I am done with that entire project. That doesn’t mean I might not buy something else down the line but for right now I have a radio next to my chair and other radio out over the workbench.

Come Thursday, it will be our 36th Anniversary! Where in the name of life did the years go to? We go to beach as a ritual and get sea food plates like we did when courting. Covid is really breaking back out again here, so we will take it go.

I hope all things are going as good for you and your family. I hope the onset of the storm that we watched on the news tonight squeaks by you will heavy rain and that’s it! God Bless.
JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 07-06-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:32 PM
Aframomum

Hello Mr. JPEE,

You are more than welcome to come over and have burgers and brats any time my friend!

I do believe the Florida building collapse will put any older high rises under a microscope, esp those that are located along beaches and have been exposed to storms and shifting landmasses. A terrible tragedy to imagine.

Sounds like you got some nice footage of the fireworks with your Mavic. You would definitely be able to hear a chopper coming and drop down in no time. Some of the areas that I used to fly at had low flying single engine aircraft flying around and I would have to drop to the deck until they passed. I would occasionally fly near the hospital and they have a helipad, so I was constantly looking around to make sure the helicopter wasn't flying by.

I've been watching reports coming out of your area and have seen the temps you are dealing with. Drought seems to be an understatement. I do hope you get some rain soon to help replenish those low lake levels.

Yes, rear wheel bearings. I have been watching some youtube videos and it does seem to be a pretty straight forward job. Biggest pain seems to be hammering that bearing out and then hammering the new bearing in. Only 1 bolt to hold it all together, and that one is in the differential. They do suggest loctite on it.

I'll have to remember the barbell in the bookbag idea to add weight for getting to that 256ft/lbs of torque. I can't imagine you at those weights you mentioned - most of your pics have you looking at 195 or less. Have to say congrats for dropping and keeping the weight off!

Another congrats on your 36 year anniversary coming up!! I'm sure you guys reminisce on all the great memories and look forward to what lies ahead.

We spent most of this morning moving stuff into the garage - plants, benches, any loose items that could be blown away. We'll be watching what happens over the next 24 hours.

The past week I got some more work done on the layout. I also made a track cleaning car for my son - actually had him do most of the cutting, sanding, and gluing. So, he made a track cleaning car with some of dads help.

Here are a few pictures of where I'm at now:

Mark
Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 PM
JPEE

JPEE was here but lost the info

Last edited by JPEE; 07-07-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:45 PM
JPEE

[QUOTE=Aframomum;12685013]Hello Mr. JPEE,

Hello Mark, Wednesday July 7

You are more than welcome to come over and have burgers and brats any time my friend!
I wished it could be!

I do believe the Florida building collapse will put any older high rises under a microscope, esp those that are located along beaches and have been exposed to storms and shifting landmasses. A terrible tragedy to imagine.
Yes water and especially salt water is like acid to the concrete and the metal super structure.

Sounds like you got some nice footage of the fireworks with your Mavic. You would definitely be able to hear a chopper coming and drop down in no time. Some of the areas that I used to fly at had low flying single engine aircraft flying around and I would have to drop to the deck until they passed. I would occasionally fly near the hospital and they have a helipad, so I was constantly looking around to make sure the helicopter wasn't flying by.
Thats funny how at sometime we all stick our necks for some stick time, even of it’s not under the best conditions.

I've been watching reports coming out of your area and have seen the temps you are dealing with. Drought seems to be an understatement. I do hope you get some rain soon to help replenish those low lake levels.
96° as we speak at 3:15 p.m. for the last two night at 11 p.m. it is still 75° or greater and that forces us to run the ac all night. For us the magic number to sleep in is 77 under ac. If it is 71° when I turn in, I will shut off the ac knowing it will go down into the 60s and that great for us.

Yes, rear wheel bearings. I have been watching some youtube videos and it does seem to be a pretty straight forward job. Biggest pain seems to be hammering that bearing out and then hammering the new bearing in. Only 1 bolt to hold it all together, and that one is in the differential. They do suggest loctite on it.
Back in the old days I did it when we were in out teens and our last 20s. That 90 weight gear lube STINKS and is not pleasing on the skin or your clothes or on the garage floor into the concrete, beware!

I'll have to remember the barbell in the bookbag idea to add weight for getting to that 256ft/lbs of torque. I can't imagine you at those weights you mentioned - most of your pics have you looking at 195 or less. Have to say congrats for dropping and keeping the weight off!
I could cast a shadow and was strong as an ox. You must remember, I was riding HOG’s (harleys) in those days customizing them. I still have my chaps, jacket, and club colors are hanging out in the garage. I had hair almost down past the middle of my back. We would ride to the Grand Canyon as an example and when people see 60+ Harleys coming, they give you some respect. We rode to Vegas, Laughlin, Hover Dam, New Mexico, mid Oregon and we trailered for time constraints and did worlds largest gathering in Sturgis South Dakota four times. Mt. Rushmore. My buddy and I were blessed to have been invited to go on a private ride with the Black Hills chapter which are the epitome of all bikers. We did that trip 4 years in a row.

Another congrats on your 36 year anniversary coming up!! I'm sure you guys reminisce on all the great memories and look forward to what lies ahead.
We look at each other and say……….. who are those two old gray-haired people lol.

We spent most of this morning moving stuff into the garage - plants, benches, any loose items that could be blown away. We'll be watching what happens over the next 24 hours.
Be safe, I recall you doing that last time too.

The past week I got some more work done on the layout. I also made a track cleaning car for my son - actually had him do most of the cutting, sanding, and gluing. So, he made a track cleaning car with some of dads help.
now that brings a smile to my face, the second sentence where you said you had your son do most of the cutting and sanding. That gives him much more involvement and pride when it’s done which I’m sure you know that. You’ve got to pass on your legacy of skill whether it’s how to treat a woman, how to work with your hands, manage money that’s our obligation of parenthood is to pass that on, well done.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:41 PM
JPEE

Mark,

RR Track Heaven.

JPEE

Old 07-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Aframomum

Bad JPEE!! Hanging those ideas like a worm on a hook waiting for me to bite. lol

I will admit that I have been tossing around in my mind a few thoughts if I ever do another layout - would like to keep with the on-the-wall idea but make the next one a bi-level with an upper and a lower level. I would also like to incorporate a crossing of some kind (they are available in varying degrees from 90 down to 11.5) and have a helical so the trains can travel from the lower level to the upper level and vice versa. I may also extend a bit into the room so would opt for an "E" shape instead of a "U". I would also keep with N scale only so this would be done close to retirement age, so quite a few years still to go!

Sorry to hear about the continued heat - at least the nights give some relief.

I finished up loctiteing my front end. I don't think I'll have any parts coming undone anymore.

I'll be doing the rear bearings the end of the month. I'm torn right now because I have a limited differential that I bought a few years ago that I want to replace the open diff with, but am wondering if I'll have enough time to do it when I'm doing the wheel bearings. It really would be the perfect time since I'll have the case all opened up and it's just 4 extra bolts holding the retaining clamps on to get the diff out. Ugh, decisions, decisions. I don't plan to replace the gears, just take the original ring gear from the open diff and bolt it to the new diff. The pinion gear will stay put as that is a crazy job I'm not even going to attempt! Right now I'll see how the bearings go before deciding if I want to continue with the diff job.

I was able to connect the last sections of track for my sons HO set, so now his loop is all connected. But, this is just for testing purposes and I still have to cut the wood for the elevated supports. I wanted to see where the track was going to run and if anything was going to get in the way - it goes over most of the yard so lots of track on the bottom level to cross. But its nice to see it all coming together and he'll soon be able to run his trains continuously.

Mark
Old 07-16-2021, 03:34 PM
JPEE

He he he, Bad JPEE, I love it…..my work is done!

I may stand corrected Mark, but if you made in slang what I would call a double decker train layout, i’m being serious, what about to use the term in “New York L Train? You see in the TV shows those steel girders that are holding up the train and they run around the city above the streets and the cars go underneath, just a thought.

My good friend Phil who you’ve seen his garden railroad as he calls it, has a place where the tracks cross each other in what I would call a very very very loose figure8. When we had two trains running sitting side-by-side and chairs with two different transformers we were having a ball but it doesn’t take much for like something Einstein would have a numerical code for but inherently the one train would catch up with the other one at the crossing of the tracks and could wreck if your weren’t watching closely. And as I said it was just crazy we would be looking at each end of the track and where we were and then sooner or later we would wind up coming together and one of us would have to slow way down and try and get that distance between each other so we didn’t wind up at that crossing at the same moment. I think you have the makings conceptually of a absolutely wonderful train layout in the works. As time goes by I would urge you to devote a small notebook to it and make your sketches and as time goes by with the railroad you have, you might see things and want to improvise differently or find things that really don’t work at the moment so you could remove that from your future conceptual plan.
Retirement age, you can’t even spell those two words you young whippersnapper!

I’m telling you this heat wave is getting costly, $400 plus in water and 300 in electricity predominantly air conditioning and that is for a 60 days. Right now at 4:00 pm. it’s 91.
Hope your faring ok with the storm your were expecting?

Exchanged an email with a rotary doc yesterday. I had written Glenn and asked him if he remembered who a kid was by name. Lol he couldn’t even remember anybody being or acting like that kid and cutting out spokes and lightning all of his helicopters. I was having this debat with one of the old timers from that Forum recently. Glenn is doing fine working a lot of hours at the car dealership and overall is OK. Somebody from that original forum was debating me about this one kid that used to cut spokes out of his main gears drill holes in the body had this craziness about making everything lighter. And I said oh I remember the kid, but that not his name (what the other guy said) and then he for some reason had to move to Hawaii I think to follow his girlfriend and then later they broke up and he was devastated. So yesterday being bored stiff I went through maybe 100 pages of the old forum WHEEEEEE and as I went through it and read the different guys names, I saw it I think J-MICHAEL, and as the old cowboy said; that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. It was interesting reading skimming through what we were all doing back in the day before we went to our forum, are these blades for a CP pro. There was Crash crash, ArrowNautical, Glenn , me J Michael, Orcus And others.

I am 90% sure I understand what you wanna do with your rear end, god that sounds terrible doesn’t it, lol……..but let me ask this question, if you start changing your ring and or pinion gears are you not going to have to reset the lash between those two gears and set up the entire rear end again?

Your son is going to be so excited when he can just put on his engineer hat Giver her half throttle and let his train just run unattended around the track and keep coming back to him what a delight that is going to be, you’ll be wide-eyed and bushy tailed on that day for sure.

Take care and keep your powder dry.

Here’s a video I made for a friend that wanted to see my antennas on my roof and how I did it and he too has put up his own solar panels and is running most of his house lighting off 12 V. He’s also ham operator and got a room full of antennas so I was just showing him my place so here’s a video. I flew the drone very slowly so I was not to hit anything but then I had to run it eight times it’s filming speed so the video would not drag on.

PS: glad you got Loctite on your front end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.