Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Komander

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Komander

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:56 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant
My friends know I'm not known for "fast"...
These days, I haven't been too speedy, either.

I've been assembling an ARF Super Cub since late September. I just can't find the interest to "Get 'er done."
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TOM.......ASSEMBLING and not BUILDING????? You been feeling O.K. lately? Taking your meds?....Got you flu shot?????

Some'n wrong!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
These days, I haven't been too speedy, either.

I've been assembling an ARF Super Cub since late September. I just can't find the interest to "Get 'er done."
Sounds like you're right where you need to be. I have a hard time explaining to newer members of our club, why I don't do certain things, or fly certain planes. I've been studying the Wright Brothers for the last several months, and neither one of them flew just because someone pushed them. It's a very important concept really.

I belong to a club called "Fresno Radio Modelers".... and I have to remind some newer members the name isn't "Fresno Radio "GET IT FLYING ASAP" Modelers"... anyone is welcome to fly what they want, or what they build... on their time... I'll quietly watch if I'm around... but I've been pushed before too... and I don't do well with that if I've got skin in the game(time, money, plane, etc...)... newer members are learning.. and those that don't can just wait. It's great to be our own "production manager"... and then we even get to fly it when we're ready.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Big Stikflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're right where you need to be. I have a hard time explaining to newer members of our club, why I don't do certain things, or fly certain planes. I've been studying the Wright Brothers for the last several months, and neither one of them flew just because someone pushed them. It's a very important concept really.

I belong to a club called "Fresno Radio Modelers".... and I have to remind some newer members the name isn't "Fresno Radio "GET IT FLYING ASAP" Modelers"... anyone is welcome to fly what they want, or what they build... on their time... I'll quietly watch if I'm around... but I've been pushed before too... and I don't do well with that if I've got skin in the game(time, money, plane, etc...)... newer members are learning.. and those that don't can just wait. It's great to be our own "production manager"... and then we even get to fly it when we're ready.
I second your comment. I've been in clubs in my younger days and got pushed into flying before. It didn't end well a few times. Now I belong to a flying site, no club and that's fine with me. We're just a group of guys that like to fly. When I go out with my nitro powered plane most of the electric foam guys have already left for the day with the others to follow soon after. Most days I have the field to myself and it's really peaceful. One day I'll get my 2M glider with electric motor built then I can just sit in my chair and relax and enjoy my flight.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid
TOM.......ASSEMBLING and not BUILDING????? You been feeling O.K. lately? Taking your meds?....Got you flu shot?????

Some'n wrong!
Embarrassing. Isn't it ? LOL

The Cub was a "gift". It had a crushed fuselage, in the stab area. I took it on for the challenge. The stab are has been repaired, and now I've lost interest in the rest.

The temps are falling. We've already had snow. I'll return to the shop, soon.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 AM
TomCrump

We have a guy in my club, who have just a couple seasons under his belt. He already has more models than I do. He's a nice guy, but I fear that he isn't learning much.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:10 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
...but I fear that he isn't learning much.
He's definitely learning to collect planes.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:35 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Happy Thanksgivng to all.

I found this thread and now I am in a pickle. I was planning to start a Kaos build but this one looks interesting too. Which one to go with? Just a couple of questions. The manual shows 2 1/4" dihedral under each tip. Anyone change that to less dihedral? What affect will less dihedral do the flying? How about a tail dragger build? I've only built tail draggers for grass runways. Finally, dual servos? I don't favor the single aileron servo. My build would change the looks some but still be reasonably similar. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I've never built a Kaos (would love to though), but maybe a bit of something to think about generally. She was designed back when radios weren't what they are today, hence, the 2.25" dihedral under each tip. I **THINK** with today's radios she'd do just fine with 1.25" (under each tip) or maybe even less, but I think I'd stick with around 1.25". There ARE pics on the web of several Kaos' in tail-dragger configuration - so it HAS been done. Dual Aileron servos - I don't have a plane that doesn't have dual servos, and none of my planes are "high performance". For me, it's just safer that way.

Anyway, maybe something to think about.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:21 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Happy Thanksgiving!!

I've never built a Kaos (would love to though), but maybe a bit of something to think about generally. She was designed back when radios weren't what they are today, hence, the 2.25" dihedral under each tip. I **THINK** with today's radios she'd do just fine with 1.25" (under each tip) or maybe even less, but I think I'd stick with around 1.25". There ARE pics on the web of several Kaos' in tail-dragger configuration - so it HAS been done. Dual Aileron servos - I don't have a plane that doesn't have dual servos, and none of my planes are "high performance". For me, it's just safer that way.

Anyway, maybe something to think about.
Thanks for that info. I sure was not too clear in my post. My questions were related to the Komander. I'm trying to decide whether to continue with my plan for a Kaos build, or change over to the Komander build. The Komander build would be a good challenge. Anyway for a Komander build I was, like you, thinking 1.25" under each wing tip. But how would it look as a tail dragger? Different for sure. I have not found any pictures reflecting a tail dragger set up for a Komander. More thinking needed!!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Big Stikflyer

ET. To keep it simple, build a Kaos. There are no plans for a Komander due to them being printed on the wood. Unless you know someone that still has a kit so you can use it for templates. To answer your questions, the amount of dihedral in a wing dictates the amount of stability. The Komander had 2.25 inches under each wingtip because it was designed to be your second trainer. The aircraft could right itself just by you letting go of the sticks. It will fly just fine with less dihedral but you also lose some stability. As far as a taildragger, I've never seen one but I have seen plenty of Komander's flown from grass fields. Duo servos on the wing in my opinion is a personal choice, I've always built mine with a single servo. I've heard people say to use two servos for aileron incase one goes out, but you can fly with just using rudder and elevator. Again builders choice.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 AM
ETpilot

Thanks Big Stikflyer. The fact that there are no plans is just part of the challenge. There is enough info on this thread and skylark-flier's website to work with. Plus many pictures on the web. I did find a picture with a good side view of the fuselage which helps a lot. The hardest part would be the canopy and cowl. That is why I say my build would look similar but not exact. Just scratch building challenges.

Anyway, I'll put the Komander on a back burner for now and continue with my Kaos build. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Big Stikflyer

ETpilot
Here's the info you wanted.
Canopy get from parkflyerplastic for $8.00 plus shipping
Cowling get from fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com for $21.00 plus shipping
and if you wanted, foam core wings from Eureka Aircraft for $35.00 plus shipping

The cowl price I know I'm close but might not be right on, the others are the right price. I've ordered the canopy and it's a perfect match for the original. I also ordered the cowl and foam wing and waiting for them to arrive. When I get them I can post how good they are.

Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2017, 10:54 AM
robbtennis

I can attest that both the aftermarket canopy and cowl are a perfect matches. Therefore a scratch built Komander would not be entirely difficult even without plans or pre cuts. If any measurements are required I would be happy to help.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Big Stikflyer

Update, the Komander Cowl from fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com was $32.00 plus shipping, not $21.00. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM
northrop n9m
My Feedback: (19)

Default Wings

Hi Jay
when you get the wing cores check them for the L/E sweep. The cores I got from them had to much sweep and I had to recut the angle at the root. I forget what the sweep is supposed to be. If you need I can check the cores in my kit,and get you the dimensions.
Lane.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Big Stikflyer

Default wings

Originally Posted by northrop n9m
Hi Jay
when you get the wing cores check them for the L/E sweep. The cores I got from them had to much sweep and I had to recut the angle at the root. I forget what the sweep is supposed to be. If you need I can check the cores in my kit,and get you the dimensions.
Lane.

Lane thanks for your help and offer. I do have a new set of wing cores in a kit I picked up 3 years ago, I ordered the set from Eureka so I could compare them. Sounds like I need to figure out how to cut my own. Might even be cheaper in the long run. Eureka does not cut the landing gear block cavity either, so I will need to figure that out as well. I want to experiment using my old soldering gun and making a new tip to cut what I need.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:04 PM
ETpilot

Thanks for all the info. I will keep it all in mind. I had planned to do a balsa built up wing. Also do a cowl and canopy myself. Fitting store bought may be harder unless I'm close on the original dimensions. Things to think about. Anyway I'm back to the Kaos. Hope to get started on the K soon.

I read on on this thread that the sweep on the Komander is 1.5".
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought about a balsa built up wing the other night. That would be a nice option for this classic in my mind. Not something on the top of my RC list there, but is interesting for conversation sake. I've always liked the sweep/taper of the wing on these planes. Even that little beater I'm fixing up has that classic line to it. I can picture a conventional D-tube type of wing on this plane though.

I
Old 11-24-2017, 03:40 PM
ETpilot

I thought about a balsa built up wing the other night. That would be a nice option for this classic in my mind. Not something on the top of my RC list there, but is interesting for conversation sake. I've always liked the sweep/taper of the wing on these planes. Even that little beater I'm fixing up has that classic line to it. I can picture a conventional D-tube type of wing on this plane though.

I, too, thought a built up wing would be a good option for this airplane. That is part of the reason why I studied the plane. I was just looking at a picture saved from the web. That model has dual aileron servos, dual flap servos and looks like barn door control surfaces. I'm going to see if I can find that site again and read more about that build.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Big Stikflyer

I received the cowling from Fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com yesterday. Did a quick comparison today and the FS cowl looks to be the same size and shape as my original cowl from Sig. Just waiting for the wing cores to show up and compare them to my original Sig cores.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM
robbtennis

Default Komander v2017

Can someone help me with the balance point. I don't see any reference to it here.

Thanks,

Robb
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Big Stikflyer

Default Balance Point

Originally Posted by robbtennis
Can someone help me with the balance point. I don't see any reference to it here.

Thanks,

Robb
Robb, the manual puts the balance point from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" back from the leading edge. Sig recommends for sport flying to set the balance point at 2" back from the leading edge.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
robbtennis

Default Komander v2017

Originally Posted by Big Stikflyer
Robb, the manual puts the balance point from 1 3/4" to 2 1/4" back from the leading edge. Sig recommends for sport flying to set the balance point at 2" back from the leading edge.
Thank you!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:44 AM
HAL9KPCM

It may be a while before I get to it as I have a long term project on the bench already, but maybe when I get around to building my other Komander kit, I'll make up some full sized templates for the fuselage sides and tail feathers to help with filling in the building gaps for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.