Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP F-7F Tigercat

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
n9331v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

Question. Since you have the evolution 26's how do you think they will fit ? Does it look like you will need to cut much of the cowl. ? I am still up in the air on the engines yet looking to put the largest possible engines in this F7F within reason.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
schwatd

I'm of the understanding that this plane is 83 or 88" wing span? Did Cedar Hobbies ever get their 101" ARF done? I really wanted a larger wingspan plane (more money than brains club again).
Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
sabrejet
My Feedback: (45)

The KMP f7F T-cat has a 82.9" WS which it states on the side of the box. When I bought mine through Chiefaircraft.com, their ad said that it had an 88"WS which is wrong. Cedarhobbies is making and selling their T-cats but at a slow process. I think that the owner and his partner builds them one at a time then sells them out. He makes a nice looking airplane but no retracts. The KMP T-cat comes with retracts.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
D.C.M. MotorWorx
My Feedback: (290)

Cedar Hobbies T-Cat is made in Vietnam just like all the other stuff. I know the owner of cedar as we live in the same city and he says he got some in but most where messed up and needed to be sent back and redone, to many goof ups i guess..

The Evolution 26s will go in the cowl and the only thing you might need is a small hole in the bottom for the sparkplug boot to come out of, if thats all it takes im all for that as it will be a fast as heck bird with over 6hp..
Old 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
sabrejet

I thought cedarhobbies had made his own airplanes. I bought a B-17 from him several months back and I thought that he said that he and his assistant makes them. I guess i misunderstood.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
schwatd

Hey Guys,

Yeah the cedar hobbies plane was the one I was looking at but it's off their website now so I was wondering if there were too many issues with getting it made.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
nchouker
My Feedback: (1)

hi everyone,
neil with cedar hobbies here,we are working hard to get the tigercat done fast,it is not an easy model to make to be honest,they are finally on the ship heading towards us.
we are so sorry about the delay,we are working on many new exciting twins projects ,keep checking our website from time to time.[8D]
thanks so much
neil
cedarhobbies.net

Old 05-09-2007, 11:37 AM
D.C.M. MotorWorx
My Feedback: (290)

I talked to Neil today about the F7F hes having made and they are still having problems with them from the factory, hes getting a few in fairly soon and they should be good to go if anyone one wants one let me know and i can try and get you one on this next run ...
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
nchouker

HI EVERYONE,
THE TIGERCAT IS FINALLY FINISHED AND HEADING OUR WAY,WE SHOULD HAVE SOME IN STOCK,LIMITED NUMBER AROUND JUNE 15th,ANYONE WHO IS INTERSTED ,PLEASE EMAIL ME TO BE ON THE WAITING LIST

[email protected]
COST IS GONNA BE $350+$45 SHIPPING

WE ARE MAKING NEW EXCITING TWINS,KEEP CHECKING OUR WEBSITE FROM TIME TO TIME
THANKS AGAIN
Old 05-11-2007, 04:08 AM
fgpierce
My Feedback: (2)

hey sabrejet

Not quite yet! I've been having to make some minor mods like shorter standoffs for my SPE26cc's . Messing with mufflers for the past two days. I have no problem with holes that need to be there. But it kills me to put holes in the cowl for the muffler to stick out.That kind of stuff just BUGGS me! I ordered the stock mufflers for Zenoah 20ei. They should fit fine
I'm also bolting the wing together so repairs can be made...... Just in case CAUSE it ain't gonna happen anyway! I also filled all the hinge pin slots ! Looks much better
My wing measures 82 3/4"
Yes, the Box was FRIGGIN HUGE![X(]
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
chasrb

If you have been over to the T-cat build thread - come on over and see whats up.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
sabrejet

fgpierce,

Good to hear that you are making progress on your T-cat. Please let me know if you find any major issues that might slow down your building! I won't begin mine until later this year.
Happy building! Yeah, the box is so big, I use mine as a temporary work bench!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 AM
fgpierce

sabrejet

As yet I haven't found any glaring problems to be cautious of with the exception of the struts.
Make sure you remove all grub screws ,inspect and reinstall with locktite. I've found a few that were stripped! Not the actual grub screw but the threaded hole they install into. I'm going to re-tap to the next size. I'm glade I stumbled upon the problem so worse problems, like collapsed struts, don't arise!
I'm not epoxying the wing together.Instead I'm bolting the together. I'll use a good silicone between the Nacelle and center wing with the bolts, 6-32 and blindnuts. 2 per joint. he plane will remain assembled with outer sections removed for transportation/storage. I find it a big hassel with spring-air type struts getting in the way. You can't keep them in the retracted position as it weakens the spring.
I did notice one rather unusual thing about this arf in that the inside of the wing seems to be glassed as well. Like the wing sheeting was glassed on both sides before being applied to the wing. Look inside the wing servo pockets and you should see it.

Oh..... Make sure you don't spill your beverage of choice in your workbench! It could get a bit... well....soggy
Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Keith7

fgpierce,

The wing skins are definitely glassed on both sides, and all composite wings would be, regardless of whether the skins are a balsa or foam layer. Without the inner layer of glass, the skins are very easily deformed by even modest pressure from the outside. Having a glass-balsa-glass laminate is like a spar-web-spar structure; it becomes very much more rigid. The balsa is really only a filler between the glass layers. That's why foam (rohacell etc) can be used as an alternative.

Sometimes the inner layer will be done with 3/4oz or 1.5oz cloth, vacuum bagged with a breather layer that pulls off all excess resin. Done this way, the glass becomes almost invisible, unless you look closely. The Tigercat still has quite a bit of resin left on the inner skins, so its quite glossy and noticeable.

Keith
Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 AM
tahustvedt

That's quite impressive if the plane is constructed with a sandwitch composite construction.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 AM
fgpierce

Keith7

Thanks for the info. This is the first time I've had a plane with composite construction. I really like the strength and stability. I'm building a Dornier 335 Arrow and I'm going to make my skins his way. I have a vacuumn bagger but have never used it. I've alwas been afraid of crushing the wing! This will be great!

That's one of the great thing about this hobby..... Always learning new ideas.
Thanks again,
Fred
Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 AM
sabrejet

fgpierce,

What kit/size is your Dornier 335 Arrow? That's a pretty neat twin engine design. One of the fastest German piston engine fighters of WWII.

Sabrejet
Old 05-14-2007, 02:56 AM
fgpierce

Saberjet

It's not a kit or arf. It's a scratch build from Don Smith plans. Wing span 98" ,fuse lenght 98" and a arget weight of approx 35lbs. It has a G45 Mid mounted w/ 42" shaft back to rear the prop. The 45 has an onboard FEMA starter. The fron engine is a Revolution R-50 (6hp) also with a Fema onboard starter. Afullbod pilot( German) will sit in the cockpit.
He turns his head and salutes.
There's alotto go yet and as you see It can drive you crazy!

I may be wrong but I believe it was the fastest period.

oops! Back to the F7F
Fred

pilot in photo is us. The cockpit is cardstock templates
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68710.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	684084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39518.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	684085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41781.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	684086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76818.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	684087  
Old 05-14-2007, 02:46 PM
sabrejet

Fgpierce,

That's gonna be one cool airplane! Should be fun. The German TA-152 piston fighter was one of the fastest airplanes of WWII also. I just saw on the VQ models website that they are now sellling the F7F Tigercat. From looking at the pictures, it's the exact same one the KMP sells and for the same price.

Sabrejet
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
n9331v

I ordered mine from VQ last winter. VQ is a KMP dealer.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

YES SIRS!! WE are an AUTHORIZED US DEALER FOR KMP... WE only sell GENUINE KMP WARBIRDS!!! and RCV ENGINES!!

ALL YOU WARBIRD DRIVERS here in the USA give me a try!!! We have several coming that are not yet spoken for ...
email me for all the details!!!

We are also sporting our ANNIVERSARY SALE right now!!!!

BTW we will be at the IMAA RALLY OF THE GIANTS being held in WACO TEXAS in JUNE with our VQ WARBIRDS/KMP/RCV ENGINE TENT ... COME BY and see the models FIRST HAND and say HELLO!!!!!!!!!!

www.hotmacrc.org THey have the best r/c facility / runway in the central TEXAS AREA.... HUGE PAVED SMOOTH RUNWAY!!!!!! and lots of open space!!!!

thanks,

TOMAS

[email protected]
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

n9331v ,

Your F7F and the others in our batch are scheduled for sometime this month.... waiting to here what day!!!!!!!!!
I am ready!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS!!

TOMAS
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Stallion_51

A couple questions...

1. How come both F7F threads haven't been merged?

2. Those that are using Evolution 26's...how are you going to deal with a) the spring-loaded choke and b) the positioning of the throttle arm on the carb (in other words...how are you going to maneuver the push rod to that throttle arm which is located around the cylinder)?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I'm not building the TigerCat I'm building the OV10 with the Evo 26. The Evo does have kind of a screwed up throttle arm. Take your dremel and grind off the brass part that is sticking out past the throttle arm. After you do this you can simply remove the throttle arm. Take the dremel and cut off the stop screw arm. Get yourself a Dubro steering arm (1 1/4") and a number 12 drill bit. Bore out the steering arm brass bearing using the number 12 drill bit. Install the steering arm on the throttle shaft and put a ball link on the end of the arm. This solves two problems, takes care of the bad position of the stock arm and allows for more servo travel to better utilize the Twin Sync if you happen to be using one of those.

As far as the choke I removed the spring and simply use a pushrod to manually operate the chock, or of course a servo works also.

This information was provided to me by a fellow RCU member and it may be helpful to you in your use of the Evo in the TigerCat. Thanks, Jerry
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Stallion_51

Thanks jbarnes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.