Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Do you fly your turbine with Spektrum or Fasst

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Spektrum
17.42%
Fasst
49.80%
JR 2.4
32.79%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Do you fly your turbine with Spektrum or Fasst

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: To you fly your turbine with Spektrum or Fasst

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Anyboddy who does not know how much charge in their battery or how many flights they can have on a fully charged batter should not be flying high speed jets IMO.

Mike
Nor people that presume that nothing can go wrong inside the plane.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: afterburner

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

So is JR switching to a hopping format or what????
They already did with 2.4Ghz. I dont think they are still selling 72Mhz. Is that what you are asking?.

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Def...ProdID=JRP1100
I think he's asking if JR is changing their current 2.4 to a frequency hopping 2.4.

Marty
Beats me
Ok new Poll 10 reason to go back to 72Mhz. Look @ the chart below showing how many equipment can using 2.4g.
http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/2point4freq.cfm
P.S My opinion
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the OP, who must be delighted to have put a match to this puddle of gasoline, might be willing to fix the typo in the thread title?

Dave
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Nitro777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I am asking is if JR is changing to the same format that has worked so well for futaba then maybe........just maybe people will realize what they have been denying all this time..............the systems they have been selling are not up to par with the competition when it comes to brownout/ lockouts/ whatever you want to call it that is causing people to loose aircraft for unknown reasons.  It's almost like an admission to guilt "the quiet way". IMO
Old 09-02-2010, 12:48 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WW2birds done
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: nhulsey

The reason I am asking is if JR is changing to the same format that has worked so well for futaba then maybe........just maybe people will realize what they have been denying all this time..............the systems they have been selling are not up to par with the competition when it comes to brownout/ lockouts/ whatever you want to call it that is causing people to loose aircraft for unknown reasons. It's almost like an admission to guilt ''the quiet way''. IMO
I think you just have to fly what works for you now and see what happens in the future...

Bob
Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Spectrum DX 7 , two lockouts, 9303 after that brownouts bootup time to slow for me, went FASST 12 FGA never noticed any thing yet
Have my 12 Parked and checking the Aurora out, easier to program.
See what happens.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nhulsey

NOBODY ANSWERED MY QUESTION.......is JR switching to a frequency hopping format instead of the locked format in the new systems they are boasting about????????????? can anyone answer this?
Although the Continuous Channel Switching is the desired feature, that change is highly unlikely to happen, they do realize that would anger the current tens of thousands of Speck/ JR users.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: raubold

Spectrum DX 7 , two lockouts, 9303 after that brownouts bootup time to slow for me, went FASST 12 FGA never noticed any thing yet
See what happens.
Welcome aboard my friend. You spent a few dollars more, but in time you'll forget about that price you paid every time you go home with an intact aircraft.

"Action Is The Real Measure Of Intelligence"..... Napoleon Hill
Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM
JoanC

I'm not a user of Futaba or JR but really appreciate telemetry. I have an old an fabulous Multiplex Profi 4000 to which I fitted a Jeti 2.4 duplex module and I am really happy with it. With telemetry I can check the voltage I have at my receiver but this feature I think is not the most usefull. Flying jets involves most if the times having a regulator, so the voltage is constant in the receiver, and as somebody said before the first thing a serious modeler has to do is to be sure to fly with fully charged battery. However there are other features that I find very useful. I can check exactly the signal strength I receive in each of my antennas so I am sure I have a really good range check, and when I fly my electric models I use a power sensor so I can see exactly have many mA I have drained from my batteries so I don't have to follow my timer as flight times depend a lot on how aggresive you have been flying. I can also check the maximum amperage of my motors while flying, so I have no need for guessing.

Of course the most important thing is that I haven't had any glitches so far, for me it has proven totally reliable.

JoanC
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
gruntled

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Although the Continuous Channel Switching is the desired feature, that change is highly unlikely to happen, they do realize that would anger the current tens of thousands of Speck/ JR users.

I don't really understand this statement. It would not anger me at all if they came out with a hopping system. My system has served me well and will continue to do so. It won't cease to function just becausethey offer something new.No technology is stagnant and no product has an indefinite lifespan.

As the old saying goes . . . the only constant is change.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
FILE IFR

Good to hear.

...I was thinking along the lines of how a fairly new or recent upgrade Spek/ JR user would feel about the new offering of 'frequency hopping' to their brand.

I know if I just bought a current 11X or 12X and 9 months later 'frequency hopping' was introduced to the line......... I'd be spittin' mad. [:@]
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM
mk1spitfire

We only get the 11x module based system here. I believe in america yours is dedicated. But I think the module is JR.

When the 9x2 or 9303 came out, spectrum provided a module to fit but that came at the expense of latentcy. Dedicated better.

I dont know if the module base system on the 11x within Europe will have latency too, if it also utilises the ppm modulation for 2.4???

Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
rosek007

ORIGINAL: raubold

See what happens.
your experience sounds almost as bad as mine, I wish I was smart enough to have changed earlier, we live and we learn right...enjoy...
Btw all that money you save from not having to buy half of NASA's equipment to make your plane half way controlable you can now use to buy a new plane...
Kevin
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
sleeping

hi all, a healthy thread it seems...

From personal experience Mk1Spit's comments about the Spektrum Rx Lock-outs are due to voltage drop are spot on. I found this out on the cheap side as I was flying My Rave 450 on a 4s 2200Mah Pack and using the BEC within the ESC. Going hard flight times are around 4 mins + 30... for my set-up and about half through the flight I did about 8 tic-tocs absolutely thrashing the thing and the Rx locked out. As we know Lipo's have their 'burst rating' consisting of current draw and rule of thumb 10 - 12 secs max. I went well over that, voltage dropped too low to the Rx because I was running through the speedy and dig. By the time a checked the pack voltage it had 'recovered' and was at a level I would have expected for mid-flight. The solution for that was to run a reg straight off the 4s pack to 6 volts to the Rx and problem solved.

Even without a Powerbox Royal or whatever electronic config you are running, I'm sure you know the Power Bus on the Rx is common to every plug?? With the little Heli being the exception, I always have a separate - quite small 2s li-po regged down to 6V plugged into a Spare Rx Port. So on the IMAC setup using one of the early PowerBox Expander's, I have 2 x 2s 2000Mah Lipos that are regged down by the Box; this will also power the Rx ( and Sat's), but just for a final layer of saftey the 3rd small battery is connected directly to the Rx. You would have already worked out that this is still not 100% safe as if a servo Binds and doesn't pop and drains the two main Li-po's the 3rd battery is really connected in Parallel to the whole system because of the Power Bus. But Hey, that's the best I have come up with and if someone has a better idea please do tell...

Other perfect point made by BAsimpson up there, how often did PCM let you down?. I have a 33% Christen Eagle ( the Great Planes ARF) with a 3w -55 cs. I've got 4 x wires holding each side of the wings together and then the standard diamond-wire strut config for the rear vert and hori stabs. No way in Hell would I ever fly this on 2.4 with all those wires surrounding the airframe, the electronic ignition, forget it... I've got a JR - 10( forget code sorry) but it's the Dual-Conversion PCM 10 Ch Rx. It is positioned well away from all the other wires ( heaps because 4 ail servos, etc). Then have good quality ferrite rings that all the leads wind through just prior to plugging into the Rx and the aireal pops up behind the Canopy to the top of the vert fin. The good old days. It has not locked yet but even if it does the latency for reconnection is quicker than your thumbs. Even with the firmware upgrade the reconnect time for Spek is terrible ( 1/3 of a sec? ) so that's why you run 2 or 3 sats so the probability of losing all the Rx's is as low as Possible.

Although as I clearly stated, I do not - yet - trust 2.4 on a plane like the Eagle, for all the data logging I have run been flying on Heli lines with 30 + others in the air. The max no. of frames that have dropped from 1 Rx ( when there were 3 rx's on board ) was 6 for the whole flight ( 50 F.P.S ), if you're having problems consistently, send the unit into service. Run a data logger forever... Twist all your wires, keep high voltage/ current and low voltage wires away from each other. Make sure they are silicon on the outer, go nuts with chokers, run an isolated - small - Rx Battery (the one in my 40% imac is a 2s 800Mah, with reg, weighs nothing. Buy the most expensive switch harnesses, bla h sorry.

And then there is physical layout. One more... get the special sat for carbon fuses or just go back to PCM? I know I have not referenced a turbine, I'm poor enough with what I have but I love watching the jet lads and live to look at that little Jet cat LCD telling me the turbine gets up over 500 degrees in about 5 seconds. Incredible. But all of the above still applies.

I'm pissed because I bought a 12x and that does not accept the telemetry info. Bad mistake... does the 11x ? Will the 14MZ's running a FAAST Module accept their telemetry offering?

So that's my 2 cents. Please, as I'm not US ( an Aussie) I might have used different terminology in describing all the saftey measures you can implement so if something does not make sense please ask and I will do my best to explain.

Good luck and happy turbine-ing ( probably not a word)
cheers
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
sleeping

Sorry to be thread killer guys...

Something I - obviously - said?

Apologies

S
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The thread was already dead before you posted.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
sleeping

Thanks George!