Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

How does one joint the Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood? I built and flew the CG Ultimate in the late 90' and was out of the hobby for a bit.  I dusted off my .40 Sporster, DynaFlyte Funscale Spitfire, and THE ULTIMATE. Unfortunately the ultimate suffered minor injuries, the wing brace mounts broke of when something fell on the wings. While fixing it, I decided to build a new one and surprise, it's discontinued. Luckily I hunted down two unassembeled kits. One is being built over the winter and the other will be a spare (just in case).

Rescued Ultimate: CG Ultimate 10-300 kit, Super Tigre .91 with pitts muffler and smoker system.

Finally the electronics need updating. Does anyone have the Asan module for the JR radios?  I was going to re-comissing my JR-x347 and get the 2.4ghz module and new receivers for all my models. Any recomendations are welcome.</p>
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 AM
alfredbmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrshea

can i have the next available number. Haven't had one but scored a set of olans and plan on scratch building it. This plane sparked my interest in rc so it will be a pleasure to build. Also saw here someone made cowls and canopies. How do i get ahold of you to get those items. Phil
Phill, welcome to this great Brotherhood, you are # 48, please enjoy and post or make a link to your projects.

Mrshea # 48

Thanks for joining in.

Alfred.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: peternj

How does one joint the Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood? I built and flew the CG Ultimate in the late 90' and was out of the hobby for a bit. I dusted off my .40 Sporster, DynaFlyte Funscale Spitfire, and THE ULTIMATE. Unfortunately the ultimate suffered minor injuries, the wing brace mounts broke of when something fell on the wings. While fixing it, I decided to build a new one and surprise, it's discontinued. Luckily I hunted down two unassembeled kits. One is being built over the winter and the other will be a spare (just in case).

Rescued Ultimate: CG Ultimate 10-300 kit, Super Tigre .91 with pitts muffler and smoker system.

Finally the electronics need updating. Does anyone have the Asan module for the JR radios? I was going to re-comissing my JR-x347 and get the 2.4ghz module and new receivers for all my models. Any recomendations are welcome.</p>
Peternj: you are # 49 and very welcome to our brotherhood.

Alfred.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:11 AM
alfredbmor

Peternj, which smoke system are you using with your super tigre 90?
It happens that I am into a middle of a project which involves a S.T. 90, and I'd like a smoke system in it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
peternj

<font color="#00265e" size="2">alfredbmor</font>, I am usig the Slimline pitts style mufler that had the built in smoker system in it. I payed 72.99 + tax and 15.00 shipping for it back in 1996. The setup has a pump and an on off valve operated by a servo. The pump works through the engine's oscilation, I'll have to lookup the manufacturer, but if I recall it all came with the muffler as a kit.

I wasn't impressed with it, however. The smoke was ok, but it didn't linger long enough. Maybe if I used caster oil or somthing. Don't get me wrong the pitts style muffler works like a charm though! But I hardly flip the switch on the smoker.

In hind side you can make any muffler generate smoke. The muffler has a 1/8 coppoer tube coil inside of it through which the smoke fluid runs through. The coil heats the fluid which generates the smoke and exits right at the tip of the exhaust pipe of the muffler. I would guess if you create a coil and insert into a mufler then unwind it a bit so its snug agains the muffler walls. Then have one end come out the exhaust pipe and the other end can be connected near the exhaust port and attachet using a compression fitting so it's sealed. You would then connect your vavle and pump using silicon fuel tubing.

Hope this gives you an idea if you can't find one or see what Towe Hobbies has for you:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&amp;search=Go
&lt;script&gt;</script&gt;
I've sketched out how I created a smoker with a 2 cycle muffler for my .46 in Dynaflite Funscale Spitfire. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63121.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1518915  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 AM
alfredbmor

PeterNJ, thanks for your detailed answer and drawing. I used a four stroke in a similar aplication, but I was wondering how to do the same job with my OS 120 AX. I will get some 1/8 cooper tubing from my LHS to start messing with the original muffler.

Alfred
Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 AM
peternj

alfredbmor, be sure to get the pliable tubing not the rigid kind. It looks like the stock muffler comes appart. Before drilling, As a quick experiment Iwould try to create the coil so it enters and exists through the 'tail pipe' that way you don't have to drill anything. If you get the desired effect you can make a more perminent solution. Just a thought, quick easy and none invasive.Key is to heat up the smoke fluid, dumping it right into the mufller is not as effective (it just blows out with exhaust). I also found that caster oil smokes really nice.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 AM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Nevermind the PM I sent ya alfredbmor! I found ya thread lol........However I would like to take the next number!

I will starting a thread on my Ultimate that Im getting ready to restore! As shes over 18 years old and old enough to vote! [&o] My plans are to restore it to its old self and put a 28 or 30cc gaser in place of the old gas hog YS 1.20.

Pics.

The following users liked this post:
Superklaus (03-21-2020)
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: peternj

alfredbmor, be sure to get the pliable tubing not the rigid kind. It looks like the stock muffler comes appart. Before drilling, As a quick experiment I would try to create the coil so it enters and exists through the 'tail pipe' that way you don't have to drill anything. If you get the desired effect you can make a more perminent solution. Just a thought, quick easy and none invasive. Key is to heat up the smoke fluid, dumping it right into the mufller is not as effective (it just blows out with exhaust). I also found that caster oil smokes really nice.

I didn't think like that but now I think that the non invasive idea would be the best. I will get that cooper tubing and also I will try to post some pictures of the coiling, just to make sure that I am doing OK.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: WarbirdAirRacer

Nevermind the PM I sent ya alfredbmor! I found ya thread lol........However I would like to take the next number!

I will starting a thread on my Ultimate that Im getting ready to restore! As shes over 18 years old and old enough to vote! [&o] My plans are to restore it to its old self and put a 28 or 30cc gaser in place of the old gas hog YS 1.20.

Great project!!, don't forget to link the thread and pictures, then we all can be aware of your project.

Welcome to the Brotherhood
WarbirdAirRacer # 50

Alfred

Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks everyone, there is so much great information up here that I could spend hours.  Looks like we are in for a rainy weekend here, so will try and get a build thread going.

I've just ordered a ST G90 and was researching prop sizes and % nitro and would love some feedback on what you all use.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 02:44 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: abbott915

Thanks everyone, there is so much great information up here that I could spend hours. Looks like we are in for a rainy weekend here, so will try and get a build thread going.

I've just ordered a ST G90 and was researching prop sizes and % nitro and would love some feedback on what you all use.

Thanks
One of my Ultimates take an ST 90, 5% Omega, and a 13x6 APC. It has plenty of power..not unlimited vertical...but it climbs like hell, and will also scoot along pretty well
Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 AM
alfredbmor

Thanks everyone, there is so much great information up here that I could spend hours. Looks like we are in for a rainy weekend here, so will try and get a build thread going.

Thanks
Abbott915, you are in the list of our Brotherhood.

Abbott915 # 51

Welcome!!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Alfred count me in! Here's the only pic I have on this computer of my Ultimate 10-300, powered by an S90K Super Tigre. Great combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24851.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1519992  
Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

Alfred count me in! Here's the only pic I have on this computer of my Ultimate 10-300, powered by an S90K Super Tigre. Great combo.
Thanks for joining, I wish you can find fun and enjoyment in our Brotherhood.

ArcticCatRider # 52
Old 10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
bipeguy03

Thanks

Not sure of the elevation difference between here in Ohio and where you are but that can make a difference.

Anyway, I'm useing a Zinger Pro 15x5 on 5% Morgan Fuels Cool Power and have stellar resaults. I't will not be 3D with that prop but it sure does make a Kick A** plane to go out and put on a full scale type airshow at the field!!

Hope this helps ya and good luck!!
James
Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
abbott915
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info, I'm basically at sea level, so no elevation issues here, just the rain!

Going to start a build thread, so stay tuned.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
peternj

here's a nice write up for creating a smoke system for your bipe, and i have to say it's better than my chicken scratch sketch.... oh well....

http://www.rcdon.com/html/the_ultimate_project.html
Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM
ml3456

Artic,

What size tank did you use with the ST 90 and how long could you fly it? I have a kit I am going to build and a ST 90 and wondering what size tank to put in if I don't go electric.

Thanks, ML
Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
THEJADEGROUP

I have an Ultimate that I bought from another party and flew this season. Love the plane. I am recovering and making mods to it this winter.
First: How do I become a part of the Brotherhood?
Second: I have a saito 91 on it and would like to enclose the muffler system. Any suggestions and or pics on what to use? I was thinking of using the Saito flex muffler.
Third: Recomendations on where to get a replacement cowl.
Fourth: How about a good landing gear replacement.

Thanks,

Dick
Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
peternj

you can get fiberglass parts for the Ultimate here
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

click on fiberclass parts for kits, then carl goldberg....

I think the wheel pants are $33.00 and the cowl is $39.00

hope this helps
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: THEJADEGROUP

I have an Ultimate that I bought from another party and flew this season. Love the plane. I am recovering and making mods to it this winter.
First: How do I become a part of the Brotherhood?
Second: I have a saito 91 on it and would like to enclose the muffler system. Any suggestions and or pics on what to use? I was thinking of using the Saito flex muffler.
Third: Recomendations on where to get a replacement cowl.
Fourth: How about a good landing gear replacement.

Thanks,
Dick
Dick, welcome to the Brotherhood:

THEJADEGROUP # 53

Peternj, had the best advice relating the fiberglass cowl and pants, I would only have to mention that they also sell the aluminum landing gear. It is the company that most of the CG Ultimate builders have contacted for too long to remember.

As for the flexible muffler, it is a great idea, just keep in mind that the engine will need to get a better cooling source in such enclosed condition. I would buy that flexible muffler as a final part of the building project.

Alfred.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

My flyin buddy runs allot of Saito engines and I run more OS four strokers. He claims his Saito's won't run well without muffler preasure on the fuel tank, so you might keep that in mind when your setting up your exhaust system. Most of my OS's run fine on straight pipes. There is a guy in the classifieds that is selling  90* headers for Saito that might work well with the flex to get it where you want it. Look in engine accesories.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
bipeguy03

ORIGINAL: ml3456

Artic,

What size tank did you use with the ST 90 and how long could you fly it? I have a kit I am going to build and a ST 90 and wondering what size tank to put in if I don't go electric.

Thanks, ML
I used a 12 oz tank and can get about 13 minutes of flight time leaving enough fuel to make a coupe of approches for landing
Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

with a YS 120 I use 20oz tanks. And I get about 13 minutes of flight time depending how how much WOT I use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.