Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM
sgbfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

I think I will be waiting for your outcomes before ordering telebee & turnigy.......

Peter
Hi Peter,

<span style="font-size: small;">Quick update for you. I have read (again) a load of lama v3/4/cx2 build logs and I am more convinced that I have a </span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><span style="font-size: small;">bad mixer</span><span style="font-size: small;">. Apparently it is normal for the esc's to arm one after the other whilst the gyro initializes. But the problem I have of one rotor at full throttle whilst the gyro initializes is not normal. If I take the mixer out the setup everything is closer to as expected but the helicopter is not flyable.

So I have a dilemma. Which mixer to buy?

1) Buy another turnigy / hobbywing - This will surely work and put the first one down to bad luck
2) Buy a GWS v-tail mixer - Most lama v3/4 have used this
3) Buy a Dionysus Design coaxial mixer - Expensive and a long wait from the USA. BUT, advantages.

I am leaning towards the dionysus unit because it says on</span><span style="font-size: small;"> the website</span></span><span style="font-size: small;"> "The Potentiometer (adjustable resistor) on the mixer adjusts the sensitivity of the tail". This could be important because I can tell from various build logs on rcgroups and my own experience with my current malfunctioning vtail that I am going to have a very sensitive rudder. Some will no doubt like the aggressive rudder but I am enjoying doing a bit of aerial photography with mine so I would like a more measured rudder.</span>

Simon

Old 11-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: Raycamaro

What year and model is your Stealth? I have a tree just like that with planes in it. It did grab my MSR one day though.
I bought the Stealth in 1990....just before they were released, the first year being called the 1991 Stealth. Almost 20 years and I keep her looking like she just rolled out of the show room. 164,000 miles with no major problems.
That's my daily driver... I also have a Porsche 993 that lives in the garage most of the time. I don't drive it much because I have a lead foot and the last set of rear tires only lasted 3000 miles! I race the Porsche... the Stealth is twin turbo.... but still not as fast. I use it more in auto cross racing.

As for the BOL's in the tree... I was just joking around. There's not much wrong with any of those heli's. But I still say that tree is evil. I have two shaft extension kits here, so two more of those will get modified shortly.
I'll see if I can get a priest out here to perform an exorcism on the tree. [:-]
Old 11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
RC_Addiction

Peter to Buz:

P.S. I'm not kidding!
P.P.S. I seem to remember Fernando (I think) creating sides and top of head out of Ezi-weld putty at one stage . Don't know how long it lasted - for details try PMing him ...or you could bite the bullet and buy Xtreme 15mm extended shaft w/- head
Yeah Buz, Peter is right, i remember i crashed my BOL broke and and repaired the inner shaft head ("flybar holdig system") with Mighty Putty proudly pitched by Billy Mays (RIP). [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8820728]HERE[/link] is the link to that post.

Very nice for a temporary fix while waiting for parts...

I'd go metal on that part for longer time without having to buy more parts...

Changing subject;

1.-With the brushless setup peter, you can use heavier batteries and it will give you more minutes, downside is that the battery is visible and the battery tray on the BOL not used.

Though i felt way more power and gained 4-5 more minutes of flight with a 1500MAh battery (my F-18 battery) . No heat, no problems.

2.-My BL 450 motor, 2x 9g servos and 32AMP ESC are in the post office to be delivered tomorrow monday to fix my Phoenix 2000. Now i have to look for places to fly my 3 birds LOL!!!

Fernando,
Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: RC_Addiction

Peter to Buz:

P.S. I'm not kidding!
P.P.S. I seem to remember Fernando (I think) creating sides and top of head out of Ezi-weld putty at one stage . Don't know how long it lasted - for details try PMing him ...or you could bite the bullet and buy Xtreme 15mm extended shaft w/- head
Yeah Buz, Peter is right, i remember i crashed my BOL broke and and repaired the inner shaft head (''flybar holdig system'') with Mighty Putty proudly pitched by Billy Mays (RIP). [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8820728]HERE[/link] is the link to that post.

Changing subject;

1.-With the brushless setup peter, you can use heavier batteries and it will give you more minutes, downside is that the battery is visible and the battery tray on the BOL not used.

Though i felt way more power and gained 4-5 more minutes of flight with a 1500MAh battery (my F-18 battery) . No heat, no problems.

2.-My BL 450 motor, 2x 9g servos and 32AMP ESC are in the post office to be delivered tomorrow monday to fix my Phoenix 2000. Now i have to look for places to fly my 3 birds LOL!!!

Fernando,
ORIGINAL: RC_Addiction

Peter to Buz:

P.S. I'm not kidding!
Yeah Buz, Peter is right, i remember i crashed my BOL broke and and repaired the inner shaft head (''flybar holdig system'') with Mighty Putty proudly pitched by Billy Mays (RIP). [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8820728]HERE[/link] is the link to that post.

Changing subject;

Fernando,
HI Fernando,

Thanks so much for the link to that fix. I remember seeing that before .... it does look like a tooth... but what the heck... if it works, use it! I just happen to have some Might Putty too... and Billy pitched it to me too.
But, I've got two shaft extension kits here with the metal heads. I think I may use them and be done with it. It's nice to have an "emergency" fix though. Most of my other Esky heli's have a piece of brass tubing that is just large enough to force over the head of the mast. I use my dremel and cut two slots for the fly bar to move in.... and now I never lose a fly bar. I got the idea from someone else and boy, it works wonders. I think there may be a similar mod coming for the BOL. I just have to find the right diameter tubing.

Regarding battery discharge... one of my 2.4G BOL's arrived with a bright red battery pack in it. It was a standard looking battery, but it has "High Discharge Battery Pack" stamped on it. No idea what C it is.... but I can fly at least 4 minutes longer with that battery pack than any of my other ones of the same size. It sounds backwards, but fast discharge batteries last longer than slow discharge batteries. The only thing I don't like about it is, when I land and take the battery pack out... it's so hot I have to juggle it! My motors are cool... but that fast discharge really unloads some heat into the battery. I can usually only fly it once while I'm out because by the time I fly through my other charged packs.... it's still too warm to recharge. Does anyone else have this battery?

Buzz
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
scalz

I just wish that they would sell a bind and fly version of the Big Lama. For us with the 2.4ghz model we wouldn't need to own another TX every time we buy a new heli.
I know others would also buy another BOL in a heartbeat if it were sold without the TX. Just a wishfull thought. Are you listening E-SKY? Another BOL would make a great stocking stuffer. Tis' the season!

Scalz
Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Ber60

Hi Guy's

Just a interesting site if you want some CF blades for the BOL

http://home.arcor.de/schwobaseggl/Ko...tter/index.htm

I know it is in German but the pics say it all.
Enjoy
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Ber60

Hi Guy's

Just a interesting site if you want some CF blades for the BOL

http://home.arcor.de/schwobaseggl/Ko...tter/index.htm

I know it is in German but the pics say it all.
Enjoy
Very interesting. Thanks for showing us that.

Simon

Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 AM
sgbfly

Hi Everyone,

I have just ordered a Dionysus Design coaxial mixer and guess what?

.............their website says out of stock!

Oh joy another wait. At least I put the 3in1 and convertors back on yesterday so should the wind drop I can go play!

Also, I have ordered one of these key fob cameras. They are getting good reviews here, here and here! The advantage over the gum cameras is where the lens is mounted making it easier to strap close to the centre of gravity on the underside of the helicopter.

Simon

Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM
RC_Addiction

Hi Everyone,

Oh joy another wait. At least I put the 3in1 and convertors back on yesterday so should the wind drop I can go play!

Also, I have ordered one of these key fob cameras. They are getting good reviews here, here and here! The advantage over the gum cameras is where the lens is mounted making it easier to strap close to the centre of gravity on the underside of the helicopter.

Simon
Hey Simon,

I just bought one of those cameras...thank you for sharing the link! what a nice price! bought it for US$13.98 free shipping.

It's going to be a long wait though.

Peter,

I'm still waiting on the blades...

Just repaired my Phoenix 2000 , hopefully i will fly it tomorrow.

Fernando,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77204.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1315513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74864.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1315514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24299.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1315515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60712.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1315516  
Old 11-17-2009, 06:49 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Hi Everyone,

Clinton from Dionysus Design has dropped me an email telling me they hope to tell me of new stock &amp; delivery later this week.

Also, I have updated my brushless &amp; boardless thoughts (see signature). Especially with respect to mixers and programming the esc endpoints.

Simon
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
retired92

Greetings All:

Simon, just read your latest entry, I do not follow (see signature) in reference to your brushless and boardless thoughts. I have converted to brushless and have just received my Dionysus Design mixer. What are your thoghts? Have you decided against the boardless conversion? I also plan to convert to 2.4 GHZ using a Spektrum DX6i TX and a 6200 RX. Any thoughts on this?..

Thanks ............. Don
Old 11-17-2009, 12:07 PM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: retired92
Greetings All:

Simon, just read your latest entry, I do not follow (see signature) in reference to your brushless and boardless thoughts. I have converted to brushless and have just received my Dionysus Design mixer. What are your thoghts? Have you decided against the boardless conversion? I also plan to convert to 2.4 GHZ using a Spektrum DX6i TX and a 6200 RX. Any thoughts on this?..

Thanks ............. Don
Hi Don,

I am still trying to go boardless and I am optimistic that the Dionysus Design coaxial mixer will work well. Mainly because the pot adjustment on the mixer should allow rudder sensitivity to be tempered. My boardless project has stalled at the moment whilst I wait for the DD mixer to arrive but I will carry on when the postman delivers. I was unlucky in trying the budget Turnigy option becasue I was sold a dud. But, I am now of the opinion that the Turnigy V-tail mixer would not have been satisfactory becasue it would have given a rise to a very aggresive rudder responce when using the stock Esky 2.4Ghz Tx and Rx.

Converting to 2.4 GHZ using a Spektrum DX6i TX and a 6200 RX is a great idea (albeit expensive). The Spektrum DX6i will give you flexibilty to make further adjustments on rudder sensitivity and mixing. I cant comment further becasue I dont have one. The DX6i will be a great investment for future models.

Re signature: The forum software does not allow hyperlinks in the signature of posts. You will have to copy and past the www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9177533 part to read the edits I have made to my original posts. All I have done is elaborated on mixer choice with what I have learned and described in more detail how to reprogram the esc endpoints. The post is here if my signature is not displayed.

HTH

Simon

Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
retired92

Hello Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I will be able to fly again some day. The weather here has not been the best for flying, hurricane went north thru the Gulf Of Mexico and still having hi breezes with gusts to hi to fly. I did buy the test stand from "Heli-Safe" in Canada, mailman just delivered, so I can do some testing this way and not crashing................Don
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 AM
pgroom_68

Hey all,

I just noticed these [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3756]Walkera 400 blades BLUE[/link] on my troll through the new products available....

Anyone want to try them?

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Beachcomber

Hey Fernando, do you find flying helis and airplanes to be difficult to transition from one to the other? I'm considering it but don't want to mess up what I have learned on helis.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
RC_Addiction

Hey Fernando, do you find flying helis and airplanes to be difficult to transition from one to the other? I'm considering it but don't want to mess up what I have learned on helis.
Hi Beachcomber,

I should probably say yes but i'll just say it's just different. I have to say this though...IT'S A LOT OF FREAKING FUN!!!

My advice is that if you want to transition to planes, DO NOT BUY any plane just because you like it like i did (BIG MISTAKE).

Get something like [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon4.htm]THIS PLANE[/link] if you want to start practicing Elevator, Rudder and Ailerons right away. And most important,

there should be parts available for it at all times. You'll need them as you have learned with our loved BOL.

That plane on the link is in my opinion the best trainer for beginners like us. You can crash it without mayor damage.

I flew my 3 birds a couple days ago (posting videos soon) and i still lack a lot of experience with planes, specially on windy situations...i guess i just like to learn the hard way...

Most important, before you put your hands on any plane...PRACTICE a lot on a Simulator. That will give you an idea of what you;re supposed to do with your fingers when flying a plane.

Have to go to work, will read you later.

Fernando,
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber
Hey again Beachcomber,

You could always consider downloading [link=http://www.rcflightsim.com/]Clearview[/link] flight simulator - it has both helis and planes - and only costs $40! As Fernando said PRACTICE the skills needed to fly either - without spending any more $ on parts.

The procedure is: Download Clearview to your comp. Fly helis, planes (and the latest version has cars to drive) for a limited time - and if you decide it is what you like - pay $40 (I used paypal) to buy a software key number that unlocks ALL of the models available!!
This would definitely answer your questions about transitioning between helis and planes and increase your skills in both at the same time!

P.S. Here is a site containing pages of other [link=http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=314205&ck=]helicopter models[/link] that you can download (once) to fly for free also.
P.P.S. I have downloaded 20 flying sites ("landscapes" ) too.......
P.P.P.S. (if there is such a thing) I just tried downloading a different plane model from that linked site (Kens), and it popped up "Please note that this file is not free software. After a 40 day trial period you must either buy a licence or remove it from your computer". I have never had this message pop up for any helicopter models or landscapes.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Beachcomber

Thanks Fernando and Peter.

I guess I have to give Clearview another chance. I did the free trial awhile back and apparently my computer didn't have enough horsepower to run it properly.

I think I will give it a try, flying both helis and planes. Hey, what's the worse that could happen? lol. I figure the plane might satisfy my urge to do loops and rolls, until my heli skills improve ... a lot. I'm looking at a Hobbico NexSTAR Mini electric. Anybody heard of it? So, Fernando, you didn't like your Phoenix 2000? Guess I'll stay away from that. The two different wing styles did seem like a nice idea, at the time.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 AM
RC_Addiction

Hi Beachcomber and Peter,

Here are videos i said i was going to share.

I titled these videos: "THE LOVE FOR THE CRASH" Enjoy...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrb7qLtwok]PHOENIX 2000 Failed Attempt[/link] : I learned that it was tail heavy and rudder trimming was awful...all that added to a bad designed Motor mounting system, i took care of it and also ordered a two blade 7" Prop wich i think it will not hit the plain's body like the 8" one (hear it at very last second of crash) [X(] Note: I flew this one stock before but i had no camera man, i even did a couple of loops!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vxEV_y5XHE]Depron F-18 all good until...crash!!![/link] : I learned that if you take your eyes off your plane for just half a second while flying could be a real bad thing...specially for "noobsters" like me []

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzuEHivL4O0]ESKY BIG LAMA FIGHTING WIND[/link] : Can you hear the wind? Yup, quite some of it, my BOL behaved just fine. Notice i actually " wanted" to crash it...and i did!

All three birds have been repaired and are ready for the next adventure! Yeeeeeeeha![sm=bananahead.gif]

Beachcomber: Remember...just make sure that the plane you buy has ALL available parts any time unless you want to go custom fixing, building, patching, crying and laughing like me. [sm=eek.gif]

PD= Oh by the way, I'm using the Phoenix 2000 Tx to fly the Depron F-18, The BOL's Tx to fly the Phoenix 2000 and a Lama V4 ( wich i never owned one of) to fly the BOL. Crazy as it sounds!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

fernando,
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber
Thanks Fernando and Peter.
I guess I have to give Clearview another chance. I did the free trial awhile back and apparently my computer didn't have enough horsepower to run it properly.
Hey again Beachcomber,

Did you upgrade the speed of your comp since trying the download?
I don't know what I would do without clearview to get my flying fix (of any aircraft that I desire) after dark, when it is to windy, when raining (it doesn't snow here in Sydney) or when I am just to lazy to get outdoors........

...And $40 is quite reasonable & achievable for this excellent photo-realistic sim.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Raycamaro

UPS let me down again. They delivered my first BOL while I wasn't home and my wife was. When I tell her this is the last one, I don't think she believes me. She probably quit believing me several months ago during the arrival of one of my ten+ helicopters and twenty+ airplanes. If she knew the actual cost, I would be living somewhere else. First flight tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:14 AM
stalyoni

clearview is great. Pete and I record our flight patterns and send them to one and another. Its alot of fun. I have used every flight sim available and I think clearview is still the best. I feel this sim gives you the best pyschics of the models and best flight characteristics. You can now also race cars in it also. Helps if you have a usb TX (save on batteries).

Just dont expect stefan (owner) to make you the models you want as i have asked several times. So you might be limited in what models you want. I normally pilot the blade 400. Why spend hundreds on a CP heli when you can get drunk at home and crash it as much as you want and all it will cost you is a hangover.

B.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 AM
rikybob

Well, been lurkin' since late October after reading each and every message on this post (retaining, perhaps 10%) and you guys are a WEALTH of info! I said all that to say this. I am taking the plunge and buying the RC711 brushless beast. I want to purchase the best LIPO and BLADES stateside (presumably cheaper due to shipping) and wish to know the general consensus for the best type and vendor for same. Can you help a lazy helo bro out with this info??

Rikybo
Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Well, been lurkin' since late October after reading each and every message on this post (retaining, perhaps 10%) and you guys are a WEALTH of info! I said all that to say this. I am taking the plunge and buying the RC711 brushless beast. I want to purchase the best LIPO and BLADES stateside (presumably cheaper due to shipping) and wish to know the general consensus for the best type and vendor for same. Can you help a lazy helo bro out with this info??

Rikybo

Hey, Rikybo! Welcome aboard. We don't live too far apart and I fly several of the BOL's. I'm just south of Daytona. Have you checked with Graves Hobbies over there? That place has at leas 3 of everything you can imagine.
Before you order and pay shipping give them a call. Otherwise, go with RC711. Don't forget to get a shaft extension kit... that will save you a lot of misery. It keeps the upper and lower blades from clashing. Also, get some extra blades. We all break them... my front yard is full of them. lol

And, if you ever have a question about this helicopter..... you've come to the right place for answers. There are a bunch of really nice guys from all over the world who will be willing to help you.

Buzz
Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Buz

Well, I've done it now. I bought a set of flashing flying lights off of ebay. They arrived yesterday and..... they need a 9 volt battery to work! They work well, but with the battery, they weigh 2.75 OUNCES. I don't think these are going to work. I put them on a BOL and I could hardly get off the ground! I carry cameras around, but they only weigh about 7 grams. With these lights in the heli.... I get about 4 minutes out of a pack of batteries and boy things DO get hot trying to haul all that weight. I took them off... Any ideas where I can find 9volts from something light? I think I'm screwed. lol

Buzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.