Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:22 AM
norm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Elojim,

I definitely am impressed by this guy Don. He knows how to put together a machine. Best detailed review I seen so far and the ingeniousity is notable.

This will give me tips on how to set up the next plane. Together with Camdyson, Ftrjok, "Timothy"and and the wingspanmodel kits, this thing should weight about 25lbs and still fly. Mine is at 24lbs with twin saito 82's, brakes, glow, gyro and all gizmos... I'm missing gear door sequencer, i'lll go with air and sequencer valve for the doors. I also like the landing light idea. All is simple clean and well done. The wingspan model kit for functional turret and bomb bay doors and bomb release...I wonder if I will be confronted to make choices. I hate to compromize, but that 2nd one will fly also I have no doubt.

Normand
Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
toreo

hmmm.. i really think about 100T...
may be my sponsor can help me

Don said only 22 pound. Mine is 21,5 pound.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
norm

Toreo,

It is only money! Don did not install the turret and the bomb bay door and bomb + bomb release..this added weight. He certainely did an amazing job. I do not know why mine is so heavy or if my scale is wrong. Thinking of it it should be good because I weigh the same here or at the gym.

We can get the 100T here for 575$ can for each and BTW don used the 90T in his, slightly heavier and less powerful than the 100T

I'm going to Moscow on October 23rd to November 2nd for a Hockey tournament...Maybe History will repeat and Canadians will win this tournament again! Unfortunately I have to pay to play hockey... This is no pro league.

Maybe I see you there!

normand
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 AM
toreo

ORIGINAL: normandouellette

I'm going to Moscow on October 23rd to November 2nd for a Hockey tournament...
Normand, it is really good news.Send me an letter to [email protected]

ORIGINAL: normandouellette
Maybe History will repeat and Canadians will win this tournament again!
no chance !!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normand,

I made it to the field last Sunday to test fly my bird with the gyro, but ran into a problem with my throttles. Since I only haver a 7 channel radio I had to Y the throttles together and used a reversing Y-harness. My problems started when I started my engines and started my RPM checks, idle on my left engine was running at 6500 rpm and the right at approximately 2300. After shutting down and adjusting my linkages and reversing Y-harness (2 hour's going back and forth) I finally came to the conclusion the harness was bad. My decission was after setting all linkages and turning the radio off, then turning the radio and receiver back on my throttle settings changed, caused by the reversing Y-harness not holding its setting. Needless to say I did not fly, but once I got home, I made a new Y-harness from exsisting material (no electronics involved) and installed it. Each throttle worked as advertised after making minor adjustments. By the way, have fun at your hockey tournament and enjoy your trip to Moscow, I'll be rooting for the Canadian team (Sorry Toreo) since I do have family living in Loydminster, on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan (Moms Canadian.)

Cam,

Awesome bird, enjoyed looking at the pictures you have posted. You have taken the next step forward, detailing your aircraft to the max, a job well done.

Brad
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
norm

Good call Brad.

You can use a JR "match box" to connect your throttles and this will enable you to fine tune the idle and top end.

Normand
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 AM
flaviosi

Normand,

You can use a JR "match box" to connect your throttles and this will enable you to fine tune the idle and top end.
Are the adjustments on the Matchbox concerning ATV and sub-trim real tiny or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you!

PS: Good luck on your tournament!

Flavio
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
flaviosi

Brad,

Dont forget about the Gyro settings. On "rate" mode, it's ok if you take off and fly on that setting, but on "heading hold" mode, you MUST turn Gyro off, right after take off.

Good luck!

Flavio
Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
norm

Flavio,

Adjustment are real tiny. You are doing OK

Normand
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
RCGuy41

Normand,

I'll be heading to my hobby shop Friday and I'll check with them about a JR "Match Box", thanks for the info.

Brad
Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
RCGuy41

Flavio,

Thanks for the information; I just went through my gyro manual again"you are right." I need to ensure my sensativity switch (AUX 2) is set to AVCS when turning the TX on setting the gyro to AVCS; after take off I will turn Aux 2 off putting the gyro into normal gyro mode.

Brad
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
flaviosi

Brad,

I made a lot of testing with a Futaba 401 and the best setting is: 1% rate and 70% heading hold. If your gyro is a Futaba 401. To make it work right, there's a routine you have to go through. Please, read all this thread and let me know if you have any doubt:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._1/key_/tm.htm

Good luck,

Flavio

Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 AM
RCGuy41

Flavio,

Great thread about gyro's, I have my high gain set at 75%, but will need to bring the low gain down to 1%. Futaba has a FAQ page which also answers alot of questions concerning their gyro's. Has anybody tried using or know of the Futaba GYA352 gyro for aircraft use, here's the link to the manual it's in PDF format, http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/gya352-manual.pdf I know the gyro is for sale on Ebay search GYA352.

Brad
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM
RCGuy41

All,

I finally made it to my field this morning, but there was a challenge to today's flight. I had a crosswind and wind speeds between 5 to 7 Knots. With the bugs worked out of the throttles and a GY401 gyro installed; I finally got my bird started, engines trimmed, taxied out to the end of the field, turned into a cross wind and powered up slowly, the gyro worked as advertised I stayed on the centerline. After rotation and lift off, I turned the gyro off, but should have left it on because the bird yawed into the wind, but was able to control, got the gear up and flaps pulled in. Normand I can honestly say the gyro worked thanks for suggesting the installation . Flavio thanks for the rates, everything came together so nicely, I appreciate all the help and recommendations. As an oh by the way, upon landing I didn't need AVCS turned on; since I had sufficient airspeed my B-25 tracked true till landing even with the cross wind. For now, I am going to wait until September to fly her again that is when I am heading up to PGRC war bird fly-in. I have other birds that are itching to get airborne again.

Brad
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM
krproton

Hi Brad!

Congratulations on your maiden! Many more happy landings! Do you have any pics?

Tim
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
flaviosi

Glad,

I'm really glad to hear you had a great and safe maiden! I'm happy to have been helpful on the rates.

Congratulations!

Flavio
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
RCGuy41

Krproton,

Hi, thanks for the comment, but today I put flight # 10 & 11 on my B-25, go to http://gallery.paxaero.com/thumbnails.php?album=73 scroll to the bottom there's 11 pic's their. The following link is another post to my clubs site with my mug and my B-25 http://gallery.paxaero.com/thumbnails.php?album=74 I'm the ugly one second to last pic.

Brad
Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 PM
RCGuy41

Tim,

Question concerning 2S engine installation? DO you think the engines could be moved back approximately 1/2 inch and use a pits style muffler instead of the stock muffler. I know CG will be affected so I would have to re-check my CG if I can pull off the mod, I would love to install the dummy radial's. Since the carbs stick out so far to include the thrust washer, it's some what difficult to center the cowls with the radials and get the left and right deflection correct.

Brad
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 AM
camdyson

Here's the retract servo isolator I suggested earlier - plug in cuts the power to the servo, preventing unwanted gear-up when turning on the Tx. Suggest Tx on, check gear switch is in "down", then remove plug.

Switch is just a cheap socket plug from electronics shop, and I made the ribbon from the bits shown.

Cam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23534.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1023637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60597.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1023638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38815.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1023639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69640.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1023640  
Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
nchrome

Good idea but I have a better on that I did on my B-25. All my machineguns are also my on/off switches one for the main battery and one for the backup battery the third one is for just what you did on yours except on all the barrels of the guns are pushed in to turn on the bird. And the third on turns on the retract servo to prevent gear up during turning on or off the plane. The fourth on just looks pretty but I do plan on using it for the landing lights. Which through a micro-switch on the landing gear will turn off the lights when gear is up.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 AM
jdhughen
My Feedback: (1)

How did you hook the machine guns to switches ?? got any pics ??

Thanks

Joel
Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 AM
camdyson

nchrome - very clever, and I thought I had too much spare time...

Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: RCGuy41

Krproton,

Hi, thanks for the comment, but today I put flight # 10 & 11 on my B-25, go to http://gallery.paxaero.com/thumbnails.php?album=73 scroll to the bottom there's 11 pic's their. The following link is another post to my clubs site with my mug and my B-25 http://gallery.paxaero.com/thumbnails.php?album=74 I'm the ugly one second to last pic.

Brad
Hi Brad. You're right - you ARE ugly! [sm=wink_smile.gif]

No just kidding.

My brother's name is Brad too.

Nice pics of your B-25. Hey, looks just like mine!

Keep the rubber side down.

Tim
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: RCGuy41

Tim,

Question concerning 2S engine installation? DO you think the engines could be moved back approximately 1/2 inch and use a pits style muffler instead of the stock muffler. I know CG will be affected so I would have to re-check my CG if I can pull off the mod, I would love to install the dummy radial's. Since the carbs stick out so far to include the thrust washer, it's some what difficult to center the cowls with the radials and get the left and right deflection correct.

Brad
I don't think there would be any problem moving the engines 1/2" back as long as there is room on the mount (which there probably is). I speculate it won't affect your C.G. much, but yes, check it for sure. You will probably also be able to just re drill (and tap) your mounts so you may not have to get new ones.

Give it a try and see.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 AM
krproton

nchrome and Cam,

I love your guys' enthusiasm and creativity. Good ideas!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.