Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox Core radio and set up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 02:50 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi, I know. I was contemplating that if I even should say anything as it might get taken the wrong way. But, thought someone might know more than this.

Behzad
Old 01-02-2024, 11:00 PM
CostasV

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
they have lost 3 jets in the same manner (plane weirs to one direction and does not respond)
Without further flight information and in particular telemetry logs it would be difficult to comment on except for the fact that there are no known issues.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:54 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Behzad,

I had the same thing happen to me on my CARF Ultra Lightning a few years ago.

I use to fly Futaba and then changed over to PB Core. The Core installation was 100% the same as with the Futaba. The only differences were the receivers. The 2 x PBR26B's were installed exactly the same as the previous Futaba receivers - in the same fuselage positions and with exactly the same antenna placements. After converting to Core I had multiple successful flights with the UL.

Then I went for a fly at another club where I had flown the UL previously, but before it was converted. The flight was normal and fine until I was on short finals. Suddenly the UL flicked over onto it's right. No response for a moment, then I got response just in time to level the wings and land the UL.

I reported the incident to Richard at PB and sent him the log files. I will not go into the details of his response, accept to say, it was not helpful and much misunderstanding took place. I checked over the UL and could not find anything wrong. The next time I went to my usual flying field I tried different receivers, one at a time, changed the antenna placements, one at a time, without any incident. I went back to my original receivers and installation without ever having the same problem again - this included flying the UL again at the problem site as well.

The problem remains unexplained and I am happy to accept any roll I might have played in it's occurrence.

JanR
Old 01-03-2024, 02:26 PM
DUCMOZ

Hi Jan, thanks for your comment. as I mentioned, I would not have mentioned anything if I didn't know that these are experienced flyers and have clean installations. I will ask them to comment themselves but unfortunately, a lot of people are worried to say something and their intension get misunderstood. Of course, within hundreds of thousands of flights, there will be issues here and there but it was interesting that it has happened to 4 people at the same site within a couple of months.

Behzad
Old 01-03-2024, 02:51 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

There are things to block frequencies to knock down drones. Maybe a neighbor doesn’t like jets flying at the field?

Just a thought, nothing more.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:59 PM
CostasV

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
The problem remains unexplained
Hi Jan,

Did you note anything in the logs when you reviewed them...?
Old 01-04-2024, 02:03 AM
David Gladwin

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Easy to jump to the wrong conclusions and blame the radio.
When flying at my local field in Australia, my F15 was flying fine until short finals when it suddenly pitched down with considerable damage on impact. Radio worked fine on examination so cause unknown but……
Same place , same time following week flying my BobCat it suddenly pitched UP on short final. Model saved and landed a couple of minutes later( it is still airworthy after 400 flights ) without damage. Radio working fine on checking, an early Spektrum and JR 12x, but not Wea or Core. My Wea has logged many hundreds of flights and I check every flight log. I have never seen an RF issue.
Too much of a coincidence with radios and models working fine before with many flights.
We then discovered that I had flown through a microwave link used by the local authority to control a sewage works. Only switched on for a short time so avoided the time +/- 1 hour !
No telemetry to check links but zero problems afterwards.
So, dont immediately blame the radio, and with Core one can now examine the logs, one of the great attributes of the Weatronic system on which Core is based.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 01-04-2024 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

I was thinking something similar
Old 01-04-2024, 05:26 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
We then discovered that I had flown through a microwave link used by the local authority to control a sewage works. Only switched on for a short time so avoided the time +/- 1 hour !
No telemetry to check links but zero problems afterwards.
So, dont immediately blame the radio, and with Core one can now examine the logs, one of the great attributes of the Weatronic system on which Core is based.
We are within a half of a mile of a water plant and have the same issue. Ironically, the beam crosses our final approach too. But the only brand that it has affected the most is Spektrum. Futaba was next. There are only two or three of us flying Core or Adam, with no issues. ….and hopefully never.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:27 AM
grolleman

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have an isseu.
Transmitter gives model-badstart-model error.
You can still steer, but choosing another model is no longer possible and seems to have disappeared
Old 01-06-2024, 12:14 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Time to get online with PB Support and get the ball rolling for a cure/fix.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:21 AM
Jannica

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been a bit concerned about the reports of people loosing planes due to suspicious radio malfunction. When flying turbine powered models you really need to be able to thrust your gear. Radio malfunction happens of course, but there are also other hazards that come into play when you fly model airplanes. One in particular is the difficulty to monitor your speed in the critical part of the landing pattern.

In the late summer my flying buddy lost his jet in the last moments of the flight. He had made two attempts to land but had to go around due to to high speed on final. On the last attempt he came in lower and with less speed than previus. Just as he came out of the last turn to final the plane wiggled for a second, stalled, and then spun into the ground. It came as an absolute surprise to both of us as we both felt that his airspeed should be sufficient.

When he examined his log files it was evident that his ATOM radio had not lost any frames at all. It had supposedly worked as it was supposed to do all the way up to the impact. However it seems like the turbine might not have been running during the last moments of the flight. It was hard to be absolutely sure on this because it was a matter of just a few data recordings. Anyway, we decided that the cause of this particular crash was loss of power in a critical phase of the flight.

Now, on the face of it, this accident looked just like the accidents described above. Our first impression was also that of a radio failure.However, when we land our jets, often on limited runways, we often try to bleed of a little speed during the landing pattern. It is then very easy to find your self in a situation where we have to pull a little harder to come around the last turn and line up for final. On top of that we often fly aeroplanes with swept wings or delta configurations that makes a lot of induced drag in high alpha. All this without a clue of our true airspeed.

Stall and spin in the last turn is a classic death trap and it is easily confused whit loss of control due to radio malfunction. So if there are no log files that support radio failure I think that one shall be open to other causes.

I hope I don´t offend anyone. I just wanted to share my experiences.

Jannica in Sweden
The following users liked this post:
blackcat (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 01:05 AM
grolleman

Nog een toevoeging aan mijn probleem. Was mijn laatste jet aan het finetunen toen het aangaf dat je moet landen. Uitgeschakeld en hij zei slechte start enz. Ik had dat een paar maanden geleden en zette het aan en het werkte weer. Nu 5 keer geprobeerd en de hele zender is leeg. Alles is uit, dus denk dat hij is neergestort is compleet. Geeft helemaal geen vertrouwen op na 25 jaar futaba en dan krijg je dit.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:56 AM
Jannica

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grolleman
Nog een toevoeging aan mijn probleem. Was mijn laatste jet aan het finetunen toen het aangaf dat je moet landen. Uitgeschakeld en hij zei slechte start enz. Ik had dat een paar maanden geleden en zette het aan en het werkte weer. Nu 5 keer geprobeerd en de hele zender is leeg. Alles is uit, dus denk dat hij is neergestort is compleet. Geeft helemaal geen vertrouwen op na 25 jaar futaba en dan krijg je dit.
Hello Grolleman.You seem to have some major problems with your transmitter and it is probably not easy solved by the help of this forum. I think you should contact Powerbox right away and then take it from there.

Jannica
grolleman (01-07-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 02:14 AM
grolleman

Originally Posted by Jannica
Hello Grolleman.You seem to have some major problems with your transmitter and it is probably not easy solved by the help of this forum. I think you should contact Powerbox right away and then take it from there.

Jannica
I've done it now, thanks. Was also curious if I'm the only one and therefore just unlucky. Have made a considered decision to take the power box for more security and then this is just not fun
Old 01-08-2024, 04:24 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
I wonder if this microwave link also affects 900MHz.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:32 PM
grolleman

I asked Powerbox the question and the response was super fast.
first disable fast start.
And didn't see my models anymore. Apparently I was in the wrong folder.
I'm super happy

The following 4 users liked this post by grolleman:
CostasV (01-08-2024), David Gladwin (01-09-2024), gpman (01-08-2024), Jannica (01-08-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:34 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
I wonder if this microwave link also affects 900MHz.
A quick google shows microwaves starts at 1Ghz to over 100Ghz so 900Mhz is close but could give you a second chance but so many factors come into play so who knows.
CraigG (01-11-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 03:06 AM
David Gladwin

Another Core conversion just completed, Airworld Hawk,
Core plus 2x 26 ch receivers.
Competition sr2.
I sat gyro.
PBS 16 pressure sensor.
Twin ECU batteries with Emcotec Ampere.
V speak ecu telemetry.
JetCat 180 for this 14 year old model previously flown with Weatronic Gizmo on a JR 12 x tx. which all performed to perfection but is now getting old !
Next up for conversion, another AW Hawk and a SkyGate Hawk.
Already converted AW Sea Fury, Competition SR, BVM F 4 14 ch rx, Paritech DG 303, 14 ch rx,
BobCat 9 ch , Reaction 9 + 8 rxs, Rotkoski Sabre, 9 +8 rx all with gyros , all working to perfection !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 01-21-2024 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Niiiiice!!!
Old 01-21-2024, 01:11 PM
David Gladwin

…and its bigger brother, SkyGate plus AMT. Olympus plus same avionics !

blackcat (01-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 12:45 AM
CostasV

Nice pics... Thanks David...!
Old 01-24-2024, 12:09 PM
PowerBox Tech

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi All, a trusted friend that flys at Arizona Model Aviators field, close to Phoenix, mentioned to me that they have lost 3 jets in the same manner (plane weirs to one direction and does not respond) while were guided by Core, have you heard anything about this? I asked that if the issue was reported to Powerbox but the person didn't know.

Behzad
I am not in the forms often, but I wanted to comment that this this specific string on incidents has been reported to us here at PB Americas. The logs provided were checked, and there was no sign of signal failure with low lost frame counts and good LQI numbers the entire flight- no registered holds (loss of signal). I also look at the control inputs, current, and voltages as well to look for potential causes - if there is speed or turbine telemetry these can be helpful too. The first reaction is typically to blame the radio and say "I didn't have it" (no matter what brand radio was used) when mechanical and pilot errors are far more common these days than getting "shot down" by RF issues. In any case, we are always open to checking the equipment when a customer feels it's needed, they only have to reach out to us.

-Adam
The following 2 users liked this post by PowerBox Tech:
AEROSHELDON (01-24-2024), Jannica (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:38 PM
BarracudaHockey

As an FYI, that's not some kid swapping out bad servos for new ones when they come in, he's an engineer.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:50 PM
DUCMOZ

Originally Posted by PowerBox Tech
I am not in the forms often, but I wanted to comment that this this specific string on incidents has been reported to us here at PB Americas. The logs provided were checked, and there was no sign of signal failure with low lost frame counts and good LQI numbers the entire flight- no registered holds (loss of signal). I also look at the control inputs, current, and voltages as well to look for potential causes - if there is speed or turbine telemetry these can be helpful too. The first reaction is typically to blame the radio and say "I didn't have it" (no matter what brand radio was used) when mechanical and pilot errors are far more common these days than getting "shot down" by RF issues. In any case, we are always open to checking the equipment when a customer feels it's needed, they only have to reach out to us.

-Adam
Hi Adam

Thank you for the post and this is great.

Behzad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.