Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:35 AM
Francois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airworld Hawk Building thread

Hi Guys

My hawk is coming along quit nicely(fuselage in primer and half way with the wing construction)

Henry i am interested in possibly purchasing a set of those flap vanes from you,How do i go about this as ive
tried to contact you on this site via email but it keeps failing,please let me know.

As soon as i get to some detail not already photographed i to will post some pics

Cheers

Francois
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
F-22-Raptor

Good morning David (German CET 0843),

saw this thread and have to say "WOW" really nice plane and superb detailing!! I love stuff like this!

I have to underscore what you said about www.tailormadedecals.com and the "Master" Ralle.

I just applied a decal set from him on my new Eurofighter. I dunno how many decals it was but I bet more than 200.

You have to take some time for this job but it will give a plane that "extra" touch!!

Keep the good work goin!!

Andreas
Old 04-24-2006, 02:02 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Hi David,

Ah ha! It wasn't just me then! In the guide I wrote for the main gear retracts you'll see I had to pack up the outboard edges too otherwise the wheel and door just wouldn't quite fit! At first I thought it was just me

As for the door hinging - I looked at that for a while, couldn't think of anything so moved on to something else. Unfortunately, that still means it is still out there to sort out

Francois - come on, don't be shy any pics are welcomed even if they are similar

And yep, I'll back Ralle and tailormadedecals too! Great guy and great products.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 AM
hvnmodels

Here some thing i did for Als Hawk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85243.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	450611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55260.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	450612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81276.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	450613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47691.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	450614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb35825.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	450615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz39020.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	450616  
Old 04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
hvnmodels

hello Francoi

, I'll try to see what would it cost but for now I'm in top gun trying to help ALs out on his plane , so when I get back home I'll let you know .

Thank Henry
Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 AM
schroedm

Hi Henry,

Looks great!

Good luck at TG - say hi to Al from me will ya! Also, put me down for a set of those flap vanes too on your return (oh, and the wing pylons and tanks!!)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 PM
hvnmodels

Hello Schroedm

Let me know if you want all the parts I made for the hawk, if so Email me at [email protected].

Thank Henry
ORIGINAL: schroedm

Hi Henry,

Looks great!

Good luck at TG - say hi to Al from me will ya! Also, put me down for a set of those flap vanes too on your return (oh, and the wing pylons and tanks!!)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 AM
David Gladwin

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

We do need to know how you hinged the small main gear door !
Regards,
David Gladwin.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 AM
The boys Back

those tanks made the Hawk fly like on Rails, no need for Gyros with them on!! Stunning
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
David Gladwin

Getting enquiries for the paint scheme for the Red Arrows version, here is the "gospel".

Red : BS381c 537 Glasurit 2k = Red 3x01x05.80
Blue: BS381c 110 Glasurit 2k = Blue 5x07x14.70
White: BS381c 610 Glasurit 2K = M60+MO.

For the red I was sent an actual paint chip; that exactly matched the red in the RAF roundels from Ralle at Tailor Made (and he knows his stuff). I then matched the blue and white to Ralle's roundel blue and white. All looks absolutely spot on.
I have completed red test painting on the flaps, the Glasurit finish is superb but you need it quite well thinned to get into the rivet holes.

In fact the colours of the Skymaster Hawk are pretty damn close too !

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:23 PM
David Gladwin

One of the difficult bits about a Hawk is replicating the MDC in the canopy. Ralle at Tailor Made Decals has solved the problem with a self adhesive vinyl "Transfer" looks perfect and will make the job very easy. Now that I have the official RAF Hawk paint diagrams i compared my roundels received from Ralle with the official dimensions, they are EXACTLY right.

Incidentally the scale of the model is 1: 4.5 not 1/5th as on the web site.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Francois

I can only agree with David,Ralle"s workmanship on the decals is awesome

Has anybody got some tips on the hinging of the small secondary main gear doors?,they seem to
be getting the beter of me.
I am also hearing(from a friend whom spoke to airworld)that some of the guys are experiencing flame outs
with the hawk due to static energy causing electronic problems just after take off.Is anyone experiencing
this problem and if so any ideas on correcting this?

Cheers

Francois
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM
schroedm

Francois,

Ali had this at Top Gun too - twice I believe. He was running an AMT whilst the other flameouts were JetCats. Something odd is happening and it is a little worrying knowing it is not a one off when you line up to take off with a $10,000 model!

Anyone got any ideas?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 05-15-2006, 12:44 PM
volkan

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Francois,

Ali had this at Top Gun too - twice I believe. He was running an AMT whilst the other flameouts were JetCats. Something odd is happening and it is a little worrying knowing it is not a one off when you line up to take off with a $10,000 model!

Anyone got any ideas?

Rgds,
Mark
Mark,
I was taking to Ali about this last week. He said something about static buildup in the large wheels, which in turn
shorted out the ECUs, thus cutting the turbines. First time he said with an AMT.

Volkan

Old 05-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Craig B.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had read somewhere on this forum that this problem only occurs on bitumen runways and that Thomas Gleissner used anti-static spray on the tires to cure the problem at the JWM. Only repeating what I have read elsewhere on a recent thread.

Craig.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Craig B.

Here you go.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3575840/tm.htm

Craig.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Francois

Seen as though this is appearing not to be a once off phenomenon
i will get one of my electronic guys(same guy that redesigned the mig29 hydraulic electronics for me)to look
into it as i am puzzled why the albatross(same wheels)doesnt seem to experience the same problems.

Will revert back shortly

Cheers

Francois
Old 05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Francois

Hi Guys

Managed to get my one small door hinged today.Will take some pics when i do the next one(now that i know what to do)
very "fidgety"job but works something like this
I cut 2 straight hinges from some excess glass board and hinged it with some strong piano wire to the front corner of the door cutout
wire must be glued to the inside surface and be parallel to the line on which the door will open to ie parallel to the leg when extended
it is very important to do the higing on the corner so as to allow a slight inward pivoting.The door is then glued to the 2 straight hinges(2 were made only for strenght)at an angle
of about 45 degrees(tack glue them to the doors with the doors closed)with some trial and error the doors eventually opens correctly with thefront corner being flush to the skin
and the rear part of the door slightly extended and retract to the correct position when closed.A very frustrating job but seems to work well in the end

Regards

Francois
Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Craig B.

Hi Francois,

Any news on the shutdown/static issue?

Craig.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM
schroedm

Well done Francois!!!! I think there are a few people looking forward to those pictures!!

Rgds,
mark
Old 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

? HVN has much better and Way Eaisier way of doing it Stayed tuned.
ORIGINAL: Francois

Hi Guys

Managed to get my one small door hinged today.Will take some pics when i do the next one(now that i know what to do)
very "fidgety"job but works something like this
I cut 2 straight hinges from some excess glass board and hinged it with some strong piano wire to the front corner of the door cutout
wire must be glued to the inside surface and be parallel to the line on which the door will open to ie parallel to the leg when extended
it is very important to do the higing on the corner so as to allow a slight inward pivoting.The door is then glued to the 2 straight hinges(2 were made only for strenght)at an angle
of about 45 degrees(tack glue them to the doors with the doors closed)with some trial and error the doors eventually opens correctly with thefront corner being flush to the skin
and the rear part of the door slightly extended and retract to the correct position when closed.A very frustrating job but seems to work well in the end

Regards

Francois
Old 05-23-2006, 04:48 PM
schroedm

Am tuned in!

Henry?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Mi-25

Hi all - my 2 cents worth!
Real aircraft have static wicks (charge dissipators) on the trailng edge of all surfaces & controls. The main reason that this is effective is because all the aircraft systems are VERY WELL bonded together (internally). There are bonding wires everywhere you look - so this reduces the ESD between components - no 'sparks', and therefore allows the maximum amount of buildup to dissipate from the static wicks.
The problem is that our model jets are NOT bonded at all. This means that if a component or area of the jet builds up static this needs to be discharged!
If the potential difference becomes large enough - SPARK!!! So it makes sense that there is a chance that ECU's can be affected, and real a/c have static discharge straps on the main gear to allow this charge to dissipate. The refuelling rig and a/c are well bonded to ground before refuelling.
Unless the components are bonded correctly - it will not be effective and the strap on the gear will dissipate SOME of the energy on landing and during taxi - but not all of it - and there could just be a small little 'capacitor' waiting to spark. I think the only way is to connect ANY COMPONENTS that may potentially build up static with thin braided wire, and lead that to discharge wicks on the wings - and straps on the main gear.
cheers
Leon
Old 06-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Geoff White

Hi all,

I am continuing the the build of my Airworld Hawk and have reached the point of installing the front part of the canopy. I have cut the canopy ready for gluing in the plane but am not happy with the way it fits. If you look at the photos you can see that the 'glass' fits inside the fuselage and hence there is a significant step between the frame and the glass. It looks strange as the rear part of the canopy has no step. The ideal solution is to remould the canopy so that it stands proud of the support and hence is level with the frame. However, I don't think there is much chance of this. Has anyone else seen his? If so, did you solve the problem? how?

Thanks.

Geoff.

P.S. Photos are a bit dark, took them is a hurry as I was leaving for work but hopefuly you will get the picture(no pun intended).

P.P.S also meant to say that the front and sides of the canopy are a lot better than the rear(the part that has no tape on it in the photos). I have taken a dremel to the frame to try and reduce the step a bit but am loathed to do this too much as it weakens it.

Name:	Hf98087.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	469768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88710.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	469769  
Old 06-01-2006, 03:31 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi geoff

are you going to bickley? i have cancelled the rain, i was looking at a full size hawk at the southend airshow last weekend, prior to building my one, the front canopy is actually flush with the frame. i wonder whether it would be possible to laminate it with some acetate sheet so the original cockpit is inside th frame aperture

m

Name:	Lj22329.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	469774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79596.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	469775  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.