Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Non Chinese Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Non Chinese Gas Engines

Let us know when you get that bad boy up and running Tom.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Super08

Let us know when you get that bad boy up and running Tom.

It looks like next Spring. Cash is low. Running out of weather.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Tseres

Got some bad news. The MVVS-116 wont fit under the cowl of my Edge. That's not really a problem. I can split the Cowl and give the plugs some clearance. Wouldn't look to good but it would work. I would also have to cut up the Firewall and I'm not willing to do that.
Now I don't know what to do. I guess I'll have to save this engine for a Warbird.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trade ya a DLE 111 for it Only 24 hours on the engine and it very good condition.

I'll toss in a YD-A 112 with spare parts to boot
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Super08

Pat how 'bout one of these to go with it in a 37%?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82053.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1664485  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Trade ya a DLE 111 for it Only 24 hours on the engine and it very good condition.

I am staying right out of that one

Tom (S) Darn - how close is it? how much of the plugs would stick out the sides? Must be a narrow cowl. Very disappointing for sure.

Doug - Is that the airframe for the 170? I am about to transplant my spare 170 into a SuperExtra.

Pat (T.O.M) I have been meaning to get on here and give you a huge "THANK YOU" recently.
I have never had so much spare time (after flying) on my hands as I have nowadays. The reason for it is because I have pretty much religiously followed yours (and Pe's and Ralphs and a couple of others) advice. Not only on the enigne brands I now use but also on a lot of the setup tips I now use. This has resulted in RELIABILITY of my planes that is so good that I no longer need to mess with much other than my own mistakes (and occassional routine maintenance but that is very far between.

A couple of examples of the advice I have followed?
Engine brands? - MVVS, 3W, BME, (and 2 x Zenoah) - the only brands left in my planes now.
Engine mounting systems? Wood plates and hardwood standoffs.

And a few other tips picked up along the way.

For the first time in a long time, I have no work needed to so on my planes fmo week to week so I now get to mess with things I want to do instead of things I need to do!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Super08

Yes the pic is of the 42% version, it arrived today. Very large airframe. I was thinking that Pat would probably love a 37% version. I think he likes Edges as much or more than me.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Tired Old Man

I think that would be very nice indeed!

Steve,

Personally, I just like to do stuff that works, that does so the same way, every time, in every thing. There's no rhyme or reason to be running around in circles re-inventing the wheel for each new plane and engine combo. Sure, you can, but why? Engines are the same way. The makers establish their bona fides early on, good or bad. The good ones keep getting better while the bad ones stew in repetitive failures. The difference between enginnering innovation and trying to play catch up using dachshounds for sled dogs.

A functional set up methodology does not change with the airframe. It is only adapted to it. Nor does it need to be expensive or outfitted with the latest widgets. Like you, I find it difficult to find spare time for my hobbies, so I like to make what time there is to be spent in flying, not adjusting or repairing.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Tseres

Make it a DA-100L and you got a Deal. I'll Let you keep the YDA and save you shipping.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Tseres

Doug, you got more planes then china has rice.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Tom (S) Darn - how close is it? how much of the plugs would stick out the sides? Must be a narrow cowl. Very disappointing for sure.

Yes the designe is about 4 years old. maybe 5.The thinking then was to make it skinny and save weight. I got the plane from my friend Chris. I've flown it before and it's a great flyer.

The engine wont fit on C/L with the plugs in. No boot on the plug.. The real problem is the location of the carb. I'd have to cut the whole top of the firewall out to make the carb fit where the engine belongs. Yes I can do it. It would take redesigning the motor box to do it right. I'm not willing to cut the plane up when I can just bolt a DA up to it and go.
Sorry . I tryed.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Tired Old Man

Better off with the DLE. Way more power. The only DA 100 I have would never be accepted by them for warranty work. I've made too many alterations.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Tseres

Better off with the DLE. Way more power. The only DA 100 I have would never be accepted by them for warranty work. I've made too many alterations.

Youre probably right. about the DLE and the warranty. The 100 that I have does a really good job for me. I can actually concentrate on flying with it and not have to mess with tuneing. I haven't needed anything for it yet but the parts and accesories are all available right now. Don't have to guess at which distributor to look at first. DLEs are good engines and I have friends that own them and I see them fly regularly. I'm just not going with anything in competition planes with anything other then DA. I'm going by my own meager 3 yr. experiance. Thats all I have but it's enough for me. But I'm willing to try other engines on warbirds or scale planes. I like the Hampel Cubs. I alredy have an engine for a 40%. FW-190 (Have to reserch the size) and a overpowered BUSA Foker D-7. also come to mind. D-7 has the edge.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
apalsson

I have one on order under a sponsorship deal which will go into a 107" Pilot Sbach 342
After I have assembled the plane, bolted in the engine and made sure everything is A-OK, the plane will get handed over to the sponsored pilot.
I have to say, MVVS have been extremely helpful with me in regards to sponsorship and marketing assistance

They are also sending me an 80cc that has been "cut open", meaning they will have machined out one side of the crank case and cylinder to allow people to turn over the engine and see the "guts" while they rotate it.
This will get mounted onto a display stand to show retailers and other potential buyers
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Super08

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Yes I know, I just sold three of them to some friends. I have something else very special in the works that is top secret that will be a shocker. I will PM you about it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Yes I know, I just sold three of them to some friends. I have something else very special in the works that is top secret that will be a shocker. I will PM you about it.
Got your PM.

Great Idea![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Tseres

Hey Ari. Show some pictures of how you mount that engine.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
apalsson

Old 09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
apalsson

Mate, I will do.

At this point, all I have is a photo of the boxes to evidence the plane is actually here .... I'm working in another town today and my wife sent me this photo with an e-mail to ask "where do you propose I store these boxes"?
Seriously, I plan to use the MVVS mount kit - it simplifies the installation quite a bit

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35482.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1664882  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Super08

Wait until you see the foam block Tony has the wings packed in now. Impressive.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
apalsson

First, I have some explaining to do ... then I might be able to get to open those boxes
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Super08

LOL been there done that. Oh sorry honey I thought I told you all about that.... must have forgot.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Tired Old Man

My wife likes to buy stuff and keep it out of sight for a few months. When it finally comes out and I notice enough to say something the response is always,"Oh, I've had that for a long time, you just noticed?" I always try to be there when the yellow or brown trucks arrive so I can put the boxes in the shed to sit awhile. So whan they come out and she asks I always say, "Oh, I've had that for a long time".... End of story every time.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
aussiesteve

My wife likes to buy stuff and keep it out of sight for a few months. When it finally comes out and I notice enough to say something the response is always,''Oh, I've had that for a long time, you just noticed?'' I always try to be there when the yellow or brown trucks arrive so I can put the boxes in the shed to sit awhile. So whan they come out and she asks I always say, ''Oh, I've had that for a long time''.... End of story every time.

They know we know
We know they know we know
But they also know we are too afraid of them to try to swing it back in our favor.

Mine has horses, they cost more than the planes and guns aren't allowed
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Tseres

I'm on my 3-rd wife.(Finaly found one to tolerate me.) I coppied her saying. "It's my money" You don't have to say anymore than that.

On the other hand. When I say : "Honey. Can I borrow $20?" She sais. You shouldn't have spent so much on your planes. I just reply "Yes Dear"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.