Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:08 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Who's building a R54 with a P60?
I might build one with a P-60 or a P-70, I have not made up my mind yet as I have not decided on what mods I want to do.
Matt,
I believe Bruce has stated that the P-70 is too big.....

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 05:23 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Looks Great Dave,

My Wheels etc are on their way to Australia. What is that white stuff on the ground!!!!. We never see it down here.

Regards
Tommy.
Thanks! We live in the infamous "snow belt" here in Northeast Ohio. Cleveland gets @ 55" of snow a year and 25 miles East we get @ 120"! The kids Ski during the winter and I hunker down in the basement. "Ya really get used to it!" Hey..It's home.

Today was actually a PERFECT day to fly. Got to 35 degrees (F), no wind and a beautiful clear sunny sky. The county airport does allow turbine models to fly from the taxiways. SO......Flying in the winter is not a problem..IF you have a turbine to fly with....Hmmmm. Otherwise we go to our local field with skis on the models to fly and drink hot choclate in the enclosed pavillion we have.

I looked on the PST website and can't find what the total weight of all the turbine components are. They just list the turbine itself. "Love those marketing guys!" The engine is 1.1 Kg or 2.45 pounds. I can't imagne the CU and battery pack weighing more than a pound and a half (.7 Kg).

Well, I'm going to cleanup a bit and make turbine noises in the meantime.

Keep building!

Dave "we don't need no stinkin tailpipe" Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 06:23 PM
rjpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave:
I just weighed my PST J600R and the weights are as follows;
Engine with mount 40.1 oz
Fuel pump 2.2 oz
ECU with wires
and switch 5.4 oz
Propane tank 1.4 oz
Electronic propane
valve 1.0 oz
Festo fittings 1.2 0z

Reaction ready for final sanding and covering
Ron Jahnig
Old 01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rjpilot

Hi Dave:
I just weighed my PST J600R and the weights are as follows;
Engine with mount 40.1 oz
Fuel pump 2.2 oz
ECU with wires
and switch 5.4 oz
Propane tank 1.4 oz
Electronic propane
valve 1.0 oz
Festo fittings 1.2 0z

Reaction ready for final sanding and covering
Ron Jahnig
Ron,
Thanks for the info...My math says 51.3oz. (3.2 pounds) I don't see the battery pack weight listed. 64 minus 51.3 is 12.7ozs left for it.
Keep sanding and covering...be careful about banging it into things! I finally gave up filling every little ding.

BTW....when id you get your PST and what version TEMS is it?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 08:11 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless something has changed, Bruce was selling package deals of the P-70 and the Reaction at the IMS show this month. He took motors with him to make the mounts. From what I can tell, the P-70 fits fine.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Here is what Bruce said about the P80...The P70 would fit fine. Just needed to redesign the turbine mount which I suspect Bruce is already working on...

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Yeah, John, I'm afraid so. I know it can be de-rated, but there are issues beyond max power. It cannot physically fit in the space between the tail boom and the top of the wing. It could be moved aft, but then you are moving an extra-heavy turbine even further behind the CG, which translates into massive nose weight - kind of a vicious circle. It's truly designed for the 54 class of turbines - that's why I specifically put the number 54 in the name.

That said, the P70 is an "in between" turbine that can be made to work in the R54. The P-60, which is due out very soon, is particularly interesting because it's actually a little smaller and lighter than the typical 54-size turbine and still puts out 13.5 lbs of thrust. Sounds like a match made in Heaven!

Bruce Tharpe - BTE
Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 08:33 PM
rcguy!

Unless something has changed, Bruce was selling package deals of the P-70 and the Reaction at the IMS show this month. He took motors with him to make the mounts. From what I can tell, the P-70 fits fine.
My mistake...post #28 explains it all. What was the 'package deal" and how much?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM
rcguy!

Matt,

P70's in stock available for immediate shipment?

Dave "tired of waiting" Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 10:13 PM
tschuy

Matt,

Hey Bruce....

Anything that you can do to help out Dave here?

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Thanks Dave

Much appreciated...

I'm still about three weeks away from getting mine done....

Won't be ready to fly for another 4...

Keep us posted...

Cheers,

Wing is mounted...Tail feathers are aligned and ready to go. Put the big pieces together and couldn't help myself from making jets noises with Joe Satriani's "Flying with an Alien" playing in the background. This thing is cool!!!

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 PM
rcguy!

Matt,

Hey Bruce....

Anything that you can do to help out Dave here?

Cheers,
Tim,
I've cancelled my order for the PST-600R. Too many delays! Looks like the soonest I would have gotten it is Feb 11 or the 14th. 5 weeks after ordering it. I didn't want to go with a P60 as it is too new (sorry jetcatusa). Now that Bruce is evidently endorsing the R54 with a P70, I'll see if I can find one in stock someplace and get it in before next weekend to install. The 78ozs on board fuel should do fine for duration, even with the P70 sucking 8oz per minute at WOT. Hey, look at the bright side...I MAY get my 150MPH yet!
The saga continues!

Dave "still grounded" Rigotti (A tough customer who believes actions speak louder than words. In other words.."do what you say")
Old 01-30-2005, 10:36 PM
tschuy

Considering what is going on in that part of the world, I can understand the delays...

I'm sure you'll be happy with the P70. Hopefully they will get it out to you real soon.

Seeing how quickly Bruce's flies with RAM-500 I'm sure I'll be happy with the FTE T-500 which puts slightly more thrust.

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 10:42 PM
rcguy!

Considering what is going on in that part of the world, I can understand the delays...

I'm sure you'll be happy with the P70. Hopefully they will get it out to you real soon.

Seeing how quickly Bruce's flies with RAM-500 I'm sure I'll be happy with the FTE T-500 which puts slightly more thrust.

Cheers,
Tim,
The delays had nothing to do with "whats going on in that part of the world". I won't go into details...out of stock parts basically. Would have been nice to let me know weeks ago...I may have been more understanding. Lets drop it......
BTW...I ain't got a P70 either!

The R54 surely does not need the extra thrust...In fact it may lead to additional landing problems with the "light" wing loading and extra idle thrust the P70 has.

Dave
Old 01-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I plan on a Ram-500 or P-70 in mine. I just put the retract gear in it tonight after dinner. Covering will begin asap. Dave check your pm's
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 PM
TommyWatson

My Wheel and U/C stuff arrived today ,Thanks Bruce.
Well it looks like work will have to wait now.!!!!

Regards
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

I plan on a Ram-500 or P-70 in mine. I just put the retract gear in it tonight after dinner. Covering will begin asap. Dave check your pm's
Ron,
Keep at it...you'll be finished before you know it. Bruce makes a beautiful product. With a P70 I'd recommend getting Gary's 74oz tank. This gives 78oz on board...enough for some WOT and "crusing" too!

Got some pictures?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

My Wheel and U/C stuff arrived today ,Thanks Bruce.
Well it looks like work will have to wait now.!!!!

Regards
Tom,
Nice stuff huh? I used the paper template Bruce provided and the retracts lined up perfectly when I installed them. Kinda neat to see 'em go up and down!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-30-2005, 11:24 PM
TommyWatson

Hi dave,

Yes I used the template and installed the nose gear blind nuts. I was a little scared they would not line up. I was wrong. I have just screwed the nose gear in place. Still need to cut out he rest of the bottom for the wheel and strut.

I have to go to work now but later tonight wheeeee!!!!.

Regards
Old 01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
tschuy

Sorry to hear about the troubles with PST Dave.

I just go with the mind set that all thing happen for the good. Hopefully something will come out good with all the delays that you've been through.

I just bought a NIB Futaba 9CAP radio on eBay for $255. everything is there minus the servo's and receiver. Plus got a CAM pack and rubber grips plus the transmitter freq modual. Guess I won't have to use my 7CAP after all...

Cheers,
Old 01-30-2005, 11:34 PM
rcguy!

Sorry to hear about the troubles with PST Dave.

I just go with the mind set that all thing happen for the good. Hopefully something will come out good with all the delays that you've been having.

I just bought a NIB Futaba 9CAP radio on eBay for $255. everything is there minus the servo's and receiver. Plus got a CAM pack and rubber grips plus the transmitter freq modual. Guess I won't have to use my 7CAP after all...

Cheers,
Tim,
You'll love the 9C. Just got a 9CHP for Christmas. I fly heli's and I always get a "Heli" radio. You get a upgraded battery pack and better servos too! I'll let you know how I have it programmed. I have the retract valve on ch9 and the steering servo on ch5 slave to the rudder. The flaps are on ch 7 and 8 both using the left slider. NO mix between them. I added a Pmix(#7) to have down elevator added as flaps lower. It has a"curve" and I can vary the amount of down elevator. This will still leave 5 mixes to use for flight trimming. I'll review it and post it to the group soon.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Matt,

Yes, as are P-60s.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:43 PM
tschuy

Go fo it Dave!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
rcguy!

Go fo it Dave!!!!
P60 on the way today via 3 day air. I'll have it for the weekend. Bruce says the P70 needs to be derated to 13# pounds anyway. The @ 350-400 dollar difference didn't seem to make sense with that restriction.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:18 PM
tschuy

Awesome Dude...

May have to shift things around a bit to get the CG right. But it'll be an even better performer with the lighter weight engine.

Just wondering about the engine mount... Isn't the P60 smaller in diameter?

Stuck doing some home computer repair work today. But it means an additional $300 in my pocket if I get it done... Gotta pay for that new 9CAP .

Cheers,
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Dave,

Sorry, this is a little bit OT, but since you're idle waiting for your turbine to show up (), here goes:

I really like your R54 covering job/color scheme! Can you tell me the order that you covered it, and the colors you used? Did you start with an overall covering job, and then trim it out, or how did you get the multi-color effect (particularily the wings)? Can you provide some details?

Thanks!

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.