Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Komander

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Komander

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:44 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a Komander on the bay right now, box is opened to show the parts but I can't tell if all of it's there. If anyone can take a look-see at it and let me know their thoughts - I've got a mind to buy it, cut it out and lay it out on paper to have made into a pdf, partially for my website, partially for everyone's use.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Big Stikflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Komander

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
There's a Komander on the bay right now, box is opened to show the parts but I can't tell if all of it's there. If anyone can take a look-see at it and let me know their thoughts - I've got a mind to buy it, cut it out and lay it out on paper to have made into a pdf, partially for my website, partially for everyone's use.
Hi Dave,
As of right now I have the winning bid on that Komander. It was my intention to do the same thing. I want a set of templates for me but I also thought I could put them on outerzone so we all could have them. As near as I can tell, the kit is complete. You know as well as I do you never really know what you get until you get it.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 PM
HAL9KPCM

Generally what I have seen of Komanders on eBay is that if they are missing pieces, it always seems to be the cowl and/or canopy. The fact that both are visible makes me fairly confident that it's a complete kit. Good luck on your bid!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
robbtennis

Originally Posted by Big Stikflyer
Hi Dave,
As of right now I have the winning bid on that Komander. It was my intention to do the same thing. I want a set of templates for me but I also thought I could put them on outerzone so we all could have them. As near as I can tell, the kit is complete. You know as well as I do you never really know what you get until you get it.
​​​​​​​I think that is a great idea, gentlemen. Thank you for sharing!!
Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Big Stick! Great - I'm not going to interfere then, hope you get it. As you know, the Komander came with the "plans" printed on the balsa - only way to create the plans is with the kit. The plane's far too important, as you well know, to just let them all fade away into the night. I really hope you get it.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:10 PM
HAL9KPCM

One thing to note about the eBay kit, it's a MK1. Not a big deal, it's pretty easy to make adjustments to beef it up like a MKII. The partial fuselage plans clearly show the difference.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Big Stikflyer

Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM
One thing to note about the eBay kit, it's a MK1. Not a big deal, it's pretty easy to make adjustments to beef it up like a MKII. The partial fuselage plans clearly show the difference.
Thanks for pointing that out but yes I am aware of which kit this is. This is the same as my first Komander from many years ago. This plane flies so well its a lot of fun on a beautiful blue sky day. I need to get one back in the air again, it's been far to long since I've flown one. Also I have the build manual from the MkII I built before. I've had 1 MKI and two MKII in the past.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 PM
HAL9KPCM

Ya, I can't get over how nice it flies. 20+ years ago, I flew just helicopters and was out of the hobby when my daughter was born and growing up. I got back into helicopters about 5 years ago and during that time finally found a Komander and built it last fall. This past summer, I kept questioning myself whether to take it up myself or have an instructor do it. I finally said the heck with it and did it myself. I have an OS 52 4 stroke on it and it's airborne at half throttle. Definitely a *****cat to fly when you want it to be.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Big Stikflyer

HAL9KPCM
​​​​​​​I flew all of mine with a OS 50FSR, talk about power to spare. My next one I might put a K&B 61 on it just to have a ringed engine.
After over 20 years of being in the hobby I also quit flying for about 15 years. I just started back again last year. I'm hoping to get my skills back to where they was all those years ago. Time will tell.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:19 PM
HAL9KPCM

Ya, that's the way I feel. I'm not a hot dogger at the moment that's for sure. Pretty casual flying with the plane and helicopters. Then again, I think I need glasses. Haven't been tested in 6 year and I turn 50 next year.. It should be interesting to see what glasses do for my flying skills.

I have another kit that I want to put together with more power and retracts.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
northrop n9m
My Feedback: (19)

Default Komander

my Komander I gave to a friend of mine. KOME was a Bay Area radio station we listened to in high school.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	946.8 KB
ID:	2246956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	850.3 KB
ID:	2246957  
Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Big Stikflyer

Skylark-flier
Sorry but I was beat out in the last few seconds on ebay, I didn't end up with the Komander. Maybe one day I'll find another one.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM
robbtennis

It appears there is another Komander Mk I currently available on Ebay if anyone is interested...
Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Big Stikflyer

Originally Posted by northrop n9m
my Komander I gave to a friend of mine. KOME was a Bay Area radio station we listened to in high school.
KOME, it's been a long time since I've seen that call sign. I was stationed at NAS Moffett Field for a little over two years when I use to listen to that radio station.
Am I seeing the picture right? Did you put flaps on your Komander?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:04 PM
northrop n9m
My Feedback: (19)

Default komander

yes I put flaps on it. I wanted see how slow I could get it to land. I was thinking of building another wing for it with full span flaps, LE slats and spoilers for roll control. Kome was a great rock station.
Lane
Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Stikflyer
I just ordered a set of Komander core wings from Eureka Aircraft. I'm hoping the cavity for the landing gear blocks will be cut as well but if not I'll get the measurements from an original set and cut them in myself. I should get the core right before chirstmas, what a present. I do have a canopy from parkflyerplastic. I'm going to order a cowl from FiberGlass Specialties. All that's left is to come up with a set of templates for the wood and I'll never be without a Komander again.
Jay, just wondering if you got those wings?.. I'm contemplating a set, as I went to revisit and work on my Komander today and found a slight delamination on the sheeting... and further inspection shows it's probably about 75% delaminated across the middle of the span. It's puckering up quite a bit, which I'd not noticed before. I was just going to inject some thinned epoxy across what I thought was a small area/line and weight it down... but it's far to gone to trust anything without pulling all the sheeting and redoing it... At this point I don't think a repair is worth it, as the wing was repaired once upon a time already..(of which the sheeting is fine and adhered at the break..due to glues and such used in the repair I'm sure...)... and I'm not sure what lies beneath the sheeting that's there now as far as a base for adhesive. I might just pull the sheeting anyway...as the wing can't be used as it is in any case.

I kind of wish I wouldn't have grabbed the plane in some way now... as it's more work and time then I initially though.. but I'm invested in it now time and a little bit of money for a cowling and canopy... so I'll try and continue with it... It might be easy enough to get a wing.. I'm just curious how it comes .... is it notched for the landing gear spar? or any other info is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:11 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

If you need wings, try here. wing-k Not sure how finished they are, but they have them.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by vpresley
If you need wings, try here. wing-k Not sure how finished they are, but they have them.
Thanks... Thats the same outfit that BigStikFlyer mentioned... Eureka Aircraft... Hopefully he got a set... even better if they're notched/cut for spars and such.

I might email them and ask a few questions. I do see the Komander wings are only $35... that's not bad at all. I've got plenty of wood on hand to sheet and finish them. I'm betting it's probably about $25 to ship to the west coast... so we'll see. The price of this little Komander is creeping up there... ha.. oh well... It is a Komander... If this is all I have to spend on it, it's well worth it so far.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:49 PM
DGrant

Another nice thing and option is... I've now got sources for the cowling, canopy, and now the wings... so if this one particular Komander doesn't work out... I can dismantle it all and use it for patterns for a future brand new Komander... That's worse case scenario here... and honestly it would be pretty cool I think... but we'll see. I go on tangents too.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Big Stikflyer

Originally Posted by DGrant
Jay, just wondering if you got those wings?.. I'm contemplating a set, as I went to revisit and work on my Komander today and found a slight delamination on the sheeting... and further inspection shows it's probably about 75% delaminated across the middle of the span. It's puckering up quite a bit, which I'd not noticed before. I was just going to inject some thinned epoxy across what I thought was a small area/line and weight it down... but it's far to gone to trust anything without pulling all the sheeting and redoing it... At this point I don't think a repair is worth it, as the wing was repaired once upon a time already..(of which the sheeting is fine and adhered at the break..due to glues and such used in the repair I'm sure...)... and I'm not sure what lies beneath the sheeting that's there now as far as a base for adhesive. I might just pull the sheeting anyway...as the wing can't be used as it is in any case.

I kind of wish I wouldn't have grabbed the plane in some way now... as it's more work and time then I initially though.. but I'm invested in it now time and a little bit of money for a cowling and canopy... so I'll try and continue with it... It might be easy enough to get a wing.. I'm just curious how it comes .... is it notched for the landing gear spar? or any other info is appreciated. Thanks.
Yes I did get the wings. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner but unfortunately a few medical issues has prevented me from going to the basement to get some building done.
A quick comparison of the new wings to my original wing shows the new cores are pretty accurate. I know someone said the cores they ordered had the wing set back a 1/8th inch off. To me the set back looks right on so maybe it was fixed. The landing gear block cavity is not cut into the core. You get the cut core, no slots or cavity of any kind. When I get back to my work room I'll need to make a wire for my solder gun to cut the cavity.
Sorry, forgot to mention. If you order a set of wings be prepared to wait for them. It took 6 weeks for me to get my wing. Maybe it was the timing, I got mine a few days before Christmas.

Last edited by Big Stikflyer; 01-29-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added information
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Since the price of Builder Kits have doubled in the past 10 years, and Kit Choices have lost some 75% of different available models to choose from......$50~60 bucks for a set of cores shipped, is very reasonable.....(especially since, there really isn't much other option, if you want to build something that has not been readily available for over 25 years).
I acquired two NIB kits....finally sold one of them.....probably keep the other new for another decade....or two. lol
Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 PM
DGrant

Thanks Big StikFlyer! I hope you get back to working on your planes soon man.. I know about physical challenges... and have faced a few in the last few years myself.. actually the last month was a challenge... still pluggin along though. I'll probably order up a set of those wings,

Red7fifty is right (thank you) about $60 or so being very reasonable for the wings.... That's about what a whole kit like this cost 25yrs ago too interestingly.... and if we can just source some of the key parts and have a few templates we can keep these old classics alive for a little while longer. I am somewhat determined to get this Komander flyable again. The only parts that will be left from the rescue though are the fuselage and the vert.stab/rudder, and main landing-gear wire. The main landing-gear wire is fine with a little buffing and paint.. the nose gear was missing... The rear hor.stab/elevator will be new.. as the one from the rescue fell apart, but it's still fine to use to draw a plan/pattern to build a new one.. that's small potatoes though.. I like doing those kinds of things

I should get that order in though... I'm in no hurry at all.... but I can get the ball rolling anyway. I have the original wing to go from for the landing-gear spar/block position and such, so that's not a problem. I'll have to break out my solder gun as well.. I haven't channeled a foam wing in over 20yrs.. it should be interesting... glad I have the old wing to possibly practice with. I'm sure a new wing will be a nice addition to this poor Komander. It's really the design of the wing of this plane I'm most attracted too. There's something about the sweep and shape that just looks great to me.

I'll have to refresh myself a bit.. as I can't remember if this plane has a main wing-joiner spar... I'll look back at the book. I'm also thinking I have some carbon-fiber towe that I might could use to reinforce the span... Just a few thoughts there..... I've got time to ponder it all. Thanks so much for the info guys. Have a great evening.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Red7fifty

I remember looking over one of my kits in detail....from memory, there was no spar. Wings were sheeted, and then joined and glassed in the center section like most other kits by SIG with foam wing cores. I could be wrong....it happens about 1% of the time.
This design was ahead of it's time in sport kits. The 1st kit that was available, box art example, was a blue airplane....it didn't do justice to the overall look. The 2nd kit release, the Red one that we are all familiar with, with the sweeping lines from the fake airscoop inlet on the cowl, simulating an F8 or A7 with the bubble canopy, short nose gear, long main gears mounted from the tall shoulder wing.....it was just so different.....unique in it's own character.
I'll probably NEVER build my kit.......but might build a copy of it someday. I already have a fiberglass cowl, and reproduction canopy. I'll either order a foam wing at some point, or, make a build up wing from scratch......heck, since the rest of the plane will be made from scratch, what's a little more building? lol
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Red7fifty

Thanks to Google...I don't have to dig out my old (autographed Hazel Sig) copy of my SIG catalog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KomanderMKII.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2252847  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:34 PM
DGrant

Cool... Good info.. thanks. I can't remember about the spar either.. and very possible it is just a butt-joint....It was over 25yrs ago I built the first one. I think there's info in the manual... some instructs on how they join the wing, and/or if there's any spar or something. ...maybe?... ha... I'm already thinking a bit of carbon towe or strip... I've done that since c/f became mainstream... just a strip or 2 span-wise, then sheet right over it... I'm not sure yet though, as I've got to inventory my wood selection as well.

In any case I've got a few months to wait now, so I'll just bag it back up and stow it for a while.... hmm.. Thanks again guys for all the info and that little trip down memory lane with that Sig pic... I've always thought these were ahead of their time too... Just one cool plane I think.

PS... I like the idea of a built up wing... Maybe we could drop a bug in the ears of a few short-kit/laser-cutter guys.. maybe it's been done. I wouldn't mind seeing a short kit of this either... in as much as it would be anyway. It's nearly there now albeit just from a few different sources is all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.