Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
THEJADEGROUP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Alfred:

Thanks for the new number #53. I will go with Peternj's advice re the cowl and I saw that they had an aluminum landing gear and think that is also the way to go. Triple deucer said that the saito's need tank pressure and I agree as that is all I run. The saito flex muffler has a tap for fuel tank pressure.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: ml3456

Artic,

What size tank did you use with the ST 90 and how long could you fly it? I have a kit I am going to build and a ST 90 and wondering what size tank to put in if I don't go electric.

Thanks, ML
I will have to take a look and come back..I am thinking it was a 12 oz...but it's been 8 years since I built it.

With the ST90 I am getting 10 or 11 minute flights..and I usually am on it pretty good..not WOT the whole flight, but a good deal of it. The ST 90 is a great motor with this plane. I guess it depends what you like to do, 3D etc. I prefer to fly on the wing. I have had a 1.08 in a previous Ultimate that was unlimited vertical..but I still have a great time with the 90 and a 13x6

Do you fly out at Waterfall Glen? I have never been there.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:13 PM
ml3456

Yep. I live in the west suburbs. If you need some info send me a PM.

ML
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
alfredbmor

I installed a 16 oz Dubro fuel tank, it fits fine´and I am having about ten minutes of flying with my OS 120 AX, I guess I can have more time but I have not tried, not willing too.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
THEJADEGROUP

I purchased aluminum landing gear from Fiberglass Specialites and it looks like it will work out great. I was thinking of installing it with plastic bolts so that if I get "dumb thumbs" and have a rough landing, I will not tear out the bottom of the aircraft. Has anyone else done this and, if so, what diameter bolt do you recommend.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I did that a few times, oh you ment if anyone fastened the landing gear w/ nylon bolts... thought you meant if any one had dumb thumbs and tore the bottom of the Ultimate out.....   tried to fly her too soon...
Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
fallingleaf
My Feedback: (1)

I did with 5/32 dubro bolts and some blind nuts. three in a row but it tore the LG and block out anyway.....

I would tap/tread the LG block (no blind nuts - overkill IMHO and adds weight) and use two bolts. Should be nice and sturdy.

Now that mine is repaired Im only using two bolts (one either side of the LG plate). plently solid but hopefuuly not tooo solid!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM
THEJADEGROUP

Thanks fallingleaf. I may be showing my lack of RC knowledge, but in your post, what does IMHO stand for?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
peternj

IMHO = in my honest opinion

</p>
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

I would like to be added to the brotherhood. I just now logged on to my pm and found out about this hood. I have been flying mine for 2 years now. It took me one winter to build the wings and a second to complete it. I feel it is one of the smoothest flying plane that i have. I built mine with a ys 120 for power. All I can say is WOW. way more power then what this plane needs but I had the engine and needed a home for it. i will try and post some pics of my plane later.
jeff
Old 11-06-2010, 02:26 AM
alfredbmor

jjoos99: Thanks for joining to our great Brotherhood, you just got # 54 and you are also very welcome.

I hope to hear more about your Ultimate combo. Did you ad weight at the tail to balance it?.

Alfred.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

I beefed up my firewall with a piece of thicker ply and enlarged the front stringers to the firewall. For weight I installed twin elevator servos mounted in the tail. with the ys and the positive tank pressure I was able to mount the fuel tank directly over the wing which should help with balance issues as the tank level changes. I adjusted my battery position behind the rear of the wing into one of the bulkheads. it still needs alittle bit of down stick while inverted but not a lot. My only complaint is the engine is real thirsty.
jeff
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Yooper Man

Hi, Haven't thought about the CG Ultimate in a long time. Could someone tell me where one of these kits could be found? Also if memory serves CG also made a giant scale sukhoi kit as well. Thanks,
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
peternj

these are rare now, and expensive....   I found a few listings on ebay but got outbid at 285 and than again at 295... However I was able to find a couple of kits on the net, one on craigs list and another through a classified listing.  Got lucky...   I'm in the process of restoring my old Ultimate and building up one of the kits, keeping the other one for those OH SH*T, WHAT THE EFF HAPPENED moments as a spare. Check this thread out, I posted an add I found over the summer where I got one of the kits, you may try emailing this gentleman and see if he has another one. I know after I bought mine the sold status wasn't updated so you may get lucky.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...m.htm#10112577
Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
alfredbmor

Great job Jeff and relating the glow fuel, I just can say that it is a fair ticket for tons of fun.

Yooper man: Great Planes company bought Carl Goldbergs, since then several kits went out of production, I believe that the sukoi that you mention went out of production before the company went for sale.
Our hopes are that Great Planes find the facilities to bring it back on production.
Meanwhile is worth to take a look at ebay listings, with some luck you may find either of the kits that you mention.

Good luck and a great day.

Alfred.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
alfredbmor

lol, peternj had it covered just in the nail. I didn't have an idea about the demanding cost of the kit, I just can say that it worth every cent.

Alfred.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
peternj

Duh! Why didn't I think of this before.  I have an idea....  I do have my old plans plus a set of two new ones! (Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 .90 kit plans) I will look into making electronic copies of them and posting them for 'DA HOOD!' Since I'm not profiting I guess I can share them with friends, right? They should have all the pieces on them that can be cut out, if not I'll trace the formers and ribs onto paper as I progress with the build...  you can than either scratch build them or find someone who can laser cut a short kit.... There's a fiberglass place that sells the cowl and wheel pants. The cock pit....  a 2 liter clear plastic soda bottle ought to do the trick.  That was my original path but I coldn't find a reliable laser cutting place.....   Just a thought, let me know if you guys are interested. It's worth every second and penny to build this kit...  Mine flew great, handled like it was on rails, and its roll rate would leave my eyes spinning....
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Yooper Man

Thank You for the info everyone I'll do some looking and hopefully get my hands on one.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
peternj

Also here's a kit from Great Planes....  it's 10 inches shorter all around and meant for a .40 size engine.  And it's not a Carl Goldberg but it may be a good wanna be substitute......

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJ581&amp;P=0

Just a thought
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
peternj

In any event, my new spin off hobby now is collecting kits....  I stocked up on all the Top Flite war birds available....  Kind of sad that ARF and RARFS and BARFS took over...  I felt it was more fun to build it yourself. Rattle your knees when you fly it taking more care not to crash it. Cause if you did it was another month or two before you were up again, unless you had spares.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
peternj

ok, here's a partially assembled one http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tag/2001525962.html
Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Hey, I want a number!

I picked mine up semi-built, but ended up taking some of it apart. The firewall was glued in with the opposite offset and was warped. Two heat guns and some time softened the epoxy and it popped off. Replaced with new wood. The rear turtle deck was all cracked and ooked like the guy tried to simply wrap the light ply over the frame and glue it. Didn't work out well. Again, new wood.

Also picked up an aftermarket 'glass cowl, wheel pants and aluminum landing gear that i polished at work. Also polished the cabanes. Looks so nice all shiny!
I covered it just like the box art.

YS 120 powered.

Bill S.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: peternj

Duh! Why didn't I think of this before. I have an idea.... I do have my old plans plus a set of two new ones! (Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 .90 kit plans) I will look into making electronic copies of them and posting them for 'DA HOOD!' Since I'm not profiting I guess I can share them with friends, right? They should have all the pieces on them that can be cut out, if not I'll trace the formers and ribs onto paper as I progress with the build... you can than either scratch build them or find someone who can laser cut a short kit.... There's a fiberglass place that sells the cowl and wheel pants. The cock pit.... a 2 liter clear plastic soda bottle ought to do the trick. That was my original path but I coldn't find a reliable laser cutting place..... Just a thought, let me know if you guys are interested. It's worth every second and penny to build this kit... Mine flew great, handled like it was on rails, and its roll rate would leave my eyes spinning....

Peter, just let me know how I can help, of course I'd like to make a short kit "just in case"

Alfred.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

Hey, I want a number!

I picked mine up semi-built, but ended up taking some of it apart. The firewall was glued in with the opposite offset and was warped. Two heat guns and some time softened the epoxy and it popped off. Replaced with new wood. The rear turtle deck was all cracked and ooked like the guy tried to simply wrap the light ply over the frame and glue it. Didn't work out well. Again, new wood.

Also picked up an aftermarket 'glass cowl, wheel pants and aluminum landing gear that i polished at work. Also polished the cabanes. Looks so nice all shiny!
I covered it just like the box art.

YS 120 powered.

Bill S.

Bill, very welcome to this great Brotherhood, where yo can find fun, interesting links to build threads and great Ultimate's photographs, enjoy this thread as we all do and post as many photographs as you want.

Your engine is a great one and you will find that many Ultimate builders have chosen the very same engine because of its performance.

Bill you have got # 56

Twin Flyer # 56

Thanks for joining.

Alfred.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 PM
peternj

removed</p>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.