Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 PM
cngaviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Max, I see. How in the world did you mount that thing??? It doesn't look like a bolt-in solution.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I originally had the 305 Spring Airs where the nose gear was a flat mount just like the mains. I bolted it to a Kraft or Hayes motor mount for a .10 size motor (I can't remember which brand but i could go look) and was going to bolt the motor mount to the bulk head. You see the gear mounted on the motor mount in the pictures.

It would have worked except the bulkhead in the fuse was not square and the angle was way off. I had to make a wedge to correct the angle but now there wasn't enough space for the gear and the motor mount because of the wedge. So I ended up getting the 301 nose gear which is the firewall mount and i mounted that on the wedge.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Most moden engines have a one piece crankcase now though. just realized that.

ORIGINAL: jroth

Mark,

If you can rotate the front of the Crankcase, it might work, it is worth a try.

John
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
cngaviation

Max, do you have any pix of how it fits in the plane? I am planning on using elec. Would this take up any of the available space for batteries?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 PM
cngaviation

...So I ended up getting the 301 nose gear which is the firewall mount and i mounted that on the wedge.

What is "the wedge"? Did you have to modify the wheel well? I guess you removed the original rails?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cngaviation

Max, do you have any pix of how it fits in the plane? I am planning on using elec. Would this take up any of the available space for batteries?

...So I ended up getting the 301 nose gear which is the firewall mount and i mounted that on the wedge.

What is "the wedge"? Did you have to modify the wheel well? I guess you removed the original rails?
You have room in the nose for the batteries, or it can go where the fuel tank would be, so I think you will be ok for that.

My plane was not the retract ready version so there are no rails. I had to build the supports for the mains and used a firewall mount for the nose gear which bolted on the bulkhead and I had to make the cutouts in the fuse and wing. I will see if I can get a picture of the wedge in the plane for you. The wedge is an aluminium spacer I had made up by one of the guys at the field. I originally made it out of balsa and ply and we used that as a model to make the aluminium wedge. It is about 1 inch wide at the top and goes down to about 1/8th of an inch at the bottom to correct the angle.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I don't know if anyone has done this yet. I lost track about 30 pages ago. I did a little modifing on the tail, buy cutting it off. I had a few to many inverted landings so I just cut the booms off. Made a couple fins, a little covering and BAM!
I should fly it soon. If all goes well, I'll do it on the retract version. Should pick up a little speed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35439.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	785242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20222.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	785243  
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Yes, modern engines have a 1 piece crankcase; I bought my engine from RCU because it was a 2 piece crankcase.

Most moden engines have a one piece crankcase now though. just realized that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jroth

Mark,

If you can rotate the front of the Crankcase, it might work, it is worth a try.

John
Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Waynesworld

i was wondering what servos should i use on my bobcat 50? size and torque?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
cngaviation

Looks like I'll be doing some strengthening of the mounting area in the wings. This leaves the nose gear installation. The Springair 302 rail mount should work fine but I dread the pull/pull. This leaves the 301 firewall mount or the 305 flat mount for direct steering. Has anyone done either of these installs on a 'retract ready' version? Pix and descripts would be great!!! Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM
cngaviation

Here's a photo of the nose area...

oops. I tried to upload a photo but it comes out too large--more than a screen full! Working on a solution
Old 10-18-2007, 10:04 AM
cngaviation

trying again

I give up. when i upload the photo, it shows up the size of a billboard! Anyway, I do have a nice photo of the nose area, I just can't share it with ya!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM
opjose

Looks like I'll be doing some strengthening of the mounting area in the wings. This leaves the nose gear installation. The Springair 302 rail mount should work fine but I dread the pull/pull. This leaves the 301 firewall mount or the 305 flat mount for direct steering. Has anyone done either of these installs on a 'retract ready' version? Pix and descripts would be great!!! Thanks
I was thinking of using either one of these for a direct linkage or two of these for a pull pull setup... on another plane...

From Hobby Lobby...

Picture on left below...

"HLH210 Pushrod Transfer Linkage, 2 ..... $ 2.50

Puts an end to slop and backlash caused by running a bent wire pushrod linkage through a fuselage. Use one for rudder pushrod, one for elevator. Simple to install: it also prevents those big ugly wallowed-out exit slots that your receiver could fall through."

And using a nose gear like this

Picture on right below

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMJJ7&P=7]LINK![/link]

Notice the "slider" on the control arm.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10088.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	785379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46360.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	785380  
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Randy M.

I don't know if anyone has done this yet. I lost track about 30 pages ago. I did a little modifing on the tail, buy cutting it off. I had a few to many inverted landings so I just cut the booms off. Made a couple fins, a little covering and BAM!
I should fly it soon. If all goes well, I'll do it on the retract version. Should pick up a little speed.
Wow Randy,

Did you have to do much to get it to balance? You did away with quite a bit of weight aft of the GC.

It will be interesting to see how well it will fly like that. If it flies well, I can see this becoming a popular kit bash. One would save almost $100 by cutting out the 4 HS81 and extensions.

Blessings, Terry
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the fuselage is epoxy based or polyester
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

it must be epoxy because epoxy sticks good to it if it was poly it would not although when you cut it , it smells like automotive fiberglass
Old 10-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
That is the reason I asked, would prefer to add some blocks for mounting stuff with epoxy if I could
Old 10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
drbobsmith

This is probably already posted, but I've been waiting patiently for Robart retracts for my Bobcat and so far they are backordered everywhere. So, I ordered the Spring Air 102HD.
I got them yesterday and they are a near perfect fit on the "retract ready" version and only cost about another $10.00 above the Robart 520W1. I plan to put my Rossi 60 on mine with an 11x7. Anybody tried a Rossi yet?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Stick Jammer

Well I finally got to maiden my Bobcat a couple of weeks ago and it flew very well. Fixed gear, OS .55AX with 11x7 APCp on 15% CoolPower, CG at 10.25". It seemed a little under powered as it left the ground but improved as I gained some altitude. The .55 is a little on the rich side yet with only two tanks run through on the ground. That CG setting seemed to be perfect, no major pitch change with throttle. Unfortunately the landing didn't go as well as the flight [&o]. Kept coming in hot so on the fourth attempt I tried to angle it in to catch what little wind we had that day. I had spoilerons programed but too much throw and had to click them off. The wheels were on the grass but I was unable to turn it away from our saftey fence and the right wing did a tango with one of the poles. That ended my day with only one flight. The good news is I have the wing repaired, just need to recover it. Several have asked and commented about the neutral setting of the elevator. I'll pass along my results. I had the elevator set slightly up from being level with the bottom of the stab and it needed 5 clicks of up once it was in the air. My final elevator setting is as follows: Place a straight edge on the bottom of the stab, the elevator trailing edge is 5mm up. Ordered one of the retract ready versions at the new low price, couldn't pass it up. Where's the best place to get a set of Spring Air 102HD?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
cngaviation

Stick--I just received a set of 302's from Springair and they fit perfect. Lower profile than the 100 series leaves a slight gap between the gear ass'y and the top sheeting. I think the 100 series will touch the upper skin and possibly protrude slightly on the underside. Check the measurements on Springairs' website. The nose is plug and play, the mains require 1/8th inch trim of inboard wing sheeting at the gear mount opening.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 PM
drbobsmith

Actually, the flange size is identical between the 100 series and the 300 series. They are made from the same gauge material. There is a 1/8 in difference in depth with the 300s being shallower, but this has no impact on installation. The 102HD has 3/16" struts and is $40.00 cheaper. I have the gear in the plane and they are practically flush with the skin. Nose gear flange is slightly below skin level.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: still4given

ORIGINAL: Randy M.

Wow Randy,

Did you have to do much to get it to balance? You did away with quite a bit of weight aft of the GC.

It will be interesting to see how well it will fly like that. If it flies well, I can see this becoming a popular kit bash. One would save almost $100 by cutting out the 4 HS81 and extensions.

Blessings, Terry
So far, I've done away with the added nose weight and moved the rx battery to just in front of the servo tray. I will balance it in the same spot I had before, right on the forward boom mount holes. Canards may be next.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Stick Jammer

drbobsmith,
The SpringAir 102HD kit has a 100 degree nose gear, is this what is needed for the retract ready version? Also it appears from the info I can find that the Robarts 520W1,s are the same depth as the SpringAir 100 series, 1 1/8". I measuerd the depth of my wings and it looks like 1 1/8" will be very close or maybe even touching the top skin. Anyone else with more info feel free to chime in. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
drbobsmith

Stick Jammer,
The 101HD is a 100 degree unit. The 102HD is a 90 degree unit. The robart 520W1 are the retracts most posters have been using and they fit.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:49 PM
cngaviation

The opening in my wing surface where the units mount measured 46mm x 35mm. I had to enlarge the opening by about 3mm to 46 x 38--very simple trim with hobby knife. Other than that, the units fit great and do not crowd the available space. I got set of 302's for $150 from Spring Air. I am a little perplexed about how to accomplish the pull/pull though???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.