Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

WHERE TO FLY 3D IN AZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 PM
MOPAR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHERE TO FLY 3D IN AZ

hello all. i live in ohio for about another month. im moving to the pheonix area. im leaving alot of flying friends behind. so i need to make a new home in az. i fly pretty much all 3d. i am looking for some new friends to fly with. i would like to find out about some fields to fly at that dont mind 3d flying. i fly 35% gassers. so i really hope i can make this home. and make some new flying friends. so any 3d people out there in az please help. ill miss my friends here alot. so hopefully i can make some new ones. thanks for any help bill
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WHERE TO FLY 3D IN AZ

Good Lord, you are moving to the 3D Mecca. You should have no problems finding people to fly with. A lot of the big name pilots are around Phoenix and Tucson from what I understand. Also Desert Aircraft engines is Tucson.. [8D]
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
MOPAR

yes. but alot of these fields im finding on line. do not seem to like 3d. this is a growing thing. and im sure will continue to grow. but i am hoping to find somebody there like me. so far im not having any luck. so hopefully this message will find its way to some fellow 3d'ers in arizona..
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a bunch of 3d fields in and around Phoenix. Next door to Phoenix in Mesa there are about 3 fields that I know of where they fly 3d. Don't worry, you will not have any lack of places to fly 3d in Arizona. Just watch out for the tall cactus, and walk carefully if you happen to land out in the bush.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Why are you saying a field doesn't like 3D? All fields should have rules, if you think the rules are a negative expression of 3D, maybe you are reading them wrong. With all fields it's very often a matter of picking the right time to get in the air. My local field has everything from newbies, wannabe racers, Sunday flyers (on all days), etc. I chose a time to go up when it looks like a can have most of the airspace to myself or with just one or two other likeminded flyers.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
MOPAR

look im not getting into a rule bashing thing here. just from some input that i have gotten. my fields here have rules. i just happen to like 3d flying been doing it for 7 years or so now. and as my post said. im looking for some new friends like my self. i would like to make new friends to fly with. and find some fields that i feel welcome at. your in california. im not coming to california. im coming to arizona. so this is why i am here. im moving in a month. and it would be very nice to get to know some people that maybe i could get ahold of once im out there. im not being rude or bashing any ones rules. im just very simply looking for some new friends. i cant put it much simpler then this.. thanks for any help... bill s.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
MOPAR

hay pat roy.. thanks for ur input.. do u know the names of these fields. at least this gives me some insight. im just very spooked with this big move. im going from home to a very new big world. i will have alot of learning to do. this is why im trying these forums while i still have my internet.. again thanks for your input.. very appreciated bill s.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Tired Old Man

I did some flying with some friends in Arizona last spring. They took me to a few fields in the Phoenix/Mesa area and from what I saw all accepted 3D...and other types of flying. Unfortunately I cannot remember the names of the fields.

DK is right though, all of the fields have various activities taking place at any given moment so a field will not be dedicated to 3D. If the racers are in the air doing circles it would be time to kick back and BS until their done. When the newbies are up you have to be careful to watch where they're going 'cuz they prolly won't be. Pretty much like anywhere else you just pick the moment based on what else is going on. 3D is pretty darn popular in Arizona though.

Don't worry. If you approach the people and the sites with a smile and friendship in your eyes all will work out just fine.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
MOPAR

well sounds about like here. i feel a little better now. im just really going to miss all here. well except the weather. the weather here stinks. between rain snow and cold. and gail force winds. it never ends. any how, thanks for the reply. i guess im just getting anxious to start my new life. ive put it off long enough.. should have done this three years ago. but just could not leave home. and maybe after meeting some new people. i will be able to let go back here a bit better. again. thanks so much. take care... bill s.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: MOPAR

well sounds about like here. i feel a little better now. im just really going to miss all here. well except the weather. the weather here stinks. between rain snow and cold. and gail force winds. it never ends. any how, thanks for the reply. i guess im just getting anxious to start my new life. ive put it off long enough.. should have done this three years ago. but just could not leave home. and maybe after meeting some new people. i will be able to let go back here a bit better. again. thanks so much. take care... bill s.
Oh man, if you think the weather stinks in Ohio, just wait until July/August in Arizona!! You'll be begging for mercy. [sm=lol.gif] Good luck. You won't have any problems. Arizona is where the top pros fly. If you're any good at 3D, then you should be able to find some good pilots to hang with.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was at the boat here...
came all the way from israel to phoenix area looking where i can fly??

well....

there is over 8 RC fields in the PHX metropolitan
i was a member with the SVF: http://www.sunvalleyfliers.com/
a geart club with very nice hospitality..ask PAT i took him there and to the other palce in Mesa pat give me some credit here

at SVF they do everything from trainer to jet's!! pepole are nice and welcome others.
if you go there no problem fro me tointreduce you to the key persons of SVF
PM me and i will FWD thier Cell numbers.

or you can contact them through the link.

enjoy AZ is a great place

gadi
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
MOPAR

thanks fellas. this all helps.. the weather[X(]. if its too hot to live there. then its too cold to live here. ive been there during august. and it never phased me. i also am into atv's. ive actually been there five times. the weather does not scare me. im sure i can deal with some heat during summer.. just like dealing with below 0 weather here for 3 months or more. here we have nothing but rain ice and snow. even during summer all it does is rain most the time. so heat.. bring it on... thanks again fellas. i really appreciate all the input.. and gadi i did pm u... take care fellas bill s.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Mopar, not sure where in the PHX area you are moving to, but SVF is on the north end and has, as mentioned, all brands of fliers.
It sounds like you have already found a few clubs in the area but you are worried about acceptability of 3D. All clubs have rules. Most, if not all, clubs have that (STUPID) circular pattern rule. As far as rules are concerned, that rule is about the only rule you MUST break to fly 3D or IMAC. While the circle-flying rule exists, it has been pretty much widely accepted that not all types of flying happen in a circle - call it an unwritten unerstanding.
I live in Tucson and fly at TRCC, a club that has been around LONG before 3D, even IMAC! There are a TON of circle flyers out there, but only a few of them (we have a name for them, but I won't share it here) have a problem with straying from the circle.
Beyond that, standard rules apply - don't hover over the runway, don't walk out to your plane and kick the tail as it TR's, don't fly with full energy toward the pits, basically, don't be stupid....Now, after about noon, when all the Ducks have gone, you have quite a bit more freedom, and usually quite a bit more fun! I don't go out in the mornings anymore because it is a ZOO, and all the 3D guys know this.
Don't worry, so long as you are not dangerous, you will be very welcomed in AZ.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: gadix

i was at the boat here...
came all the way from israel to phoenix area looking where i can fly??

well....

there is over 8 RC fields in the PHX metropolitan
i was a member with the SVF: http://www.sunvalleyfliers.com/
a geart club with very nice hospitality..ask PAT i took him there and to the other palce in Mesa pat give me some credit here

at SVF they do everything from trainer to jet's!! pepole are nice and welcome others.
if you go there no problem fro me tointreduce you to the key persons of SVF
PM me and i will FWD thier Cell numbers.

or you can contact them through the link.

enjoy AZ is a great place

gadi
Gadi, when are you coming back? Have you sent in your 2008 dues yet?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

There are plenty of fields to fly at. It depends on what part of town you are moving to. EVA in South east Mesa/Apache Juction, AMA in mesa, Sun Valley in North Phoenix, Amps in North Phoenix, Arcs in the Far West Valley, Speedworld in extreme North West. They are all paved runway with the exception of EVA, it is dirt but a nice place to fly.

As far as being accepted being a 3d pilot, I think it all depends who is at the field. I try and get along with everyone, so I never get any grief. These are all large clubs (250-350 members) with all different types of flyers and personalities. You have to pick your spots. At Sun Valley we have good mix of Turbine, IMAC, scale, and pattern. Dan J is one of the few that flies 3d. Most of the clubs don't allow any flying over the runway. AMA, AMPS and Sun Valley have noise restrictions. Large gas engines need mufflers. You don't see any wood props. We fly alot during the week in the late afternoon, the field is empty.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
haimiko

The [link=http://www.sunvalleyfliers.com/]SunValley Fliers[/link] site is annually used, as practice ground, by the Tucson shootout contestants prior to the event. I fly there almost every weekend.
Just look for Haim, looking forward to seeing you there even though I'm not a 3D flier myself.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Tired Old Man

Gadi and his family were the ultimate in hospitality and friendship when he invited me to visit him and his family in Phoenix. It was an absolutely wonderful time and the flying sites were great. It would be great to be able to do it again. I wasn't sure if you were ok with me naming people when I posted earlier Gadi. My sincere apologies.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Laird SS

Yes, it's hot in Phoenix in the summer, but the humidity is around 7-9%, not like you have in Lexington or at Mid-Ohio. Been there and done that. Haven't had to shovel it since I moved here 14 years ago. With the good weather here in Phoenix, we fly all year around. I would guess we must have over 300 days of flying weather a year.

Sun Valley Fliers, the club I belong to, has all types of pilots and is a friendly group as others have said. We welcomed Gadi with open arms and we enjoyed his company. Check them out. They meet on the first Tuesday of the month.

Sun Valley hosts a large IMAC contest each year.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
MOPAR

i cant thank you all enough. im not dangerous. fly at many fields here without any problems. im getting closer. starting to shut things down at my shop. had to tell one of my very best friends that has been with me at my shop for over 5 years im leaving. wich he understands. so now hes looking for a new job.. man this just does not get any easier. half of me knows and wants to come. and the other half wants to stay here. but i cannot do that just because of economy. so im looking forward to meeting you all. and making new friends. and one day i hope i can look back. and say i should have done this long ago. im going thru the hardest part right now.. but im not turning back.. again thanks so much for the input.. u all have made this a little easier now. for i see there has to be good people no matter where you go. take care all. and hope to meet some of you soon.. take care and happy flying.. bill s.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
as722

At any flying field.

Albert
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 AM
gadix

tonyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
whats up big guy?????
wow i miss you guys so much
traveling to pHX is not an option yet...

pepole at RCU - SVF RC field is the best one in the PHX area you must try it

shalom from sunny israel

gadi
Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 AM
gadix

pat you and any one else are welcome in tel aviv any time

gadi
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 AM
gadix

one thing i'm missing here
in israel its 10AM on saturday
how come you guys still online and not in bed getting power for the weekend flying
go to sleep
Old 02-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Tired Old Man

It's the way the world turns, Gadi
Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
MOPAR

well fellas. thanks for all the input. im heading out on the 16th. first load. a really good friend is going with me to do some quad riding and see the west. then i come back to get the last load. and after that im there for good i guess. any how looking forward to meeting you all.. take care and thanks for all the input.. when i get there permanent i will look you gys up. and call the couple numbers i got from a couple of you. bill s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.