Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

stronger / better: e-maxx or e-savage

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
e-maxx is stronger
41.38%
e-savage / e-zilla is stronger
58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

stronger / better: e-maxx or e-savage

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stronger / better: e-maxx or e-savage

I've read the e-maxx is better and stronger than the e-savage / e-zilla(same truck, different brand). Then some guy in a youtube video messed with my head saying the e-savage is much stronger than the e-maxx.

The only reason I care is I'm selling my t-maxx soon and want a used e-maxx for Christmas, and want to make sure it's not a bad decision.

This poll is referring to both of the trucks in stock form, and not referring to the new e-maxx that was just released, vote for the strongest truck / overall better. Feel free to explain your vote too. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: stronger / better: e-maxx or e-savage

Having owned both, I'd go with the E-savage hands down. The chassis is more advanced, everything is less prone to breaking.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Having owned both, I'd go with the E-savage hands down. The chassis is more advanced, everything is less prone to breaking.
I would agree, it is based off the tough as nails savage, so, except for the lack of hop ups, since it is a relatively new truck, I would get it. The thing with the maxx is, it is more IMHO designed as a crawler, not a jumper, but, the savage can do prety good at both, the only other drawback to the savage is the fact you can't use side by side packs, the ones in which the cells go vertical, prob not a big deal at all
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
TheEmaxxKid

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I've had the exact same experience with both trucks. The only people that say the E-Maxx is stronger seem to be the ones who haven't had both.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
scheibler

I believe its personal preference. Both trucks will take a lot of abuse, but both WILL break. If you liked your t-maxx, you will like the e-maxx. Its basically a t-maxx with more torque, less top-end, and not as much maintanence unless you break a part
Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
pede_187

Now a war is starting. I'd go E-Savage. $100 less than E-Maxx. The old E-Maxx broke parts frequent. The new one might be the same.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a war, we're just discussing pros and cons.

I take each vehicle on its own, brand loyalty doesnt play a huge role in my hobby. Granted, certain companies make many good vehicles and can be trusted, between the top brands its really vehicle by vehicle.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 PM
s7jstep1

well, stock probably the e savage but i think that my e maxx with rpm a arms is just as strong as any e savage
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Dokioto

I have had great luck with the E-Maxx. Don't know if it is stronger but I do know it is a beast and is a great buy.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 AM
cheech4

there was a artical about this, someone did a test on both already, hands down the E-savage was stronger faster, and handles better. but the comparison was with the current emaxx.. but the new emaxx is coming out and it is supposed to be stronger and better than the older one, so this new emaxx might be at par or better the the current Esavvy. but there has been no comparison as of yet between the new emaxx and the savvy so no one really knows yet till they test both. and who knows the savvy might still be better.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for all the advice! I'm probably going to order a e-savage tonight from tower.
I discovered it's not the exact same as the e-zilla, it's like an upgraded version.
And I also saw in the RCU ratings it's rated 4.5 stars and the e-maxx is a 4

I want to be able to plug the charger into the wall... What do I need to buy? Hopefully that won't cost a lot[]

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: 500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for all the advice! I'm probably going to order a e-savage tonight from tower.
I discovered it's not the exact same as the e-zilla, it's like an upgraded version.
And I also saw in the RCU ratings it's rated 4.5 stars and the e-maxx is a 4

I want to be able to plug the charger into the wall... What do I need to buy? Hopefully that won't cost a lot[]

Thanks.
simple, take an old car battery charger (or steal one from a neighbor who never gives you back his tools ), and hook it up to one of those "cigarettte lighter plugs", you should be able to find them at like a radioshack.... or even better, hook the leads directly to the plug, VOULA, prob solved, yeah, I would say savage, hey, it has a review as well, and the only drawback was the charger, with the maxx, people said the arms were weak, bumper screws bent easily... but wahtever you do, DON'T get the zilla, I hear it is prety bad[:'(], and it has a dumb name[&:]
Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Yeah that's a good idea, thanks. And the thing you said to buy at radio shack(or just hook it up directly) is included with the truck if I understand what you're talking about, it's in the top left of this picture. Then I guess I could plug the clips to a car battery charger set at 12V. I just hope the power level(exact amps and volts) is safe using this method and wouldn't ruin anything.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 PM
calvino

Yeah that's a good idea, thanks. And the thing you said to buy at radio shack(or just hook it up directly) is included with the truck if I understand what you're talking about, it's in the top left of this picture. Then I guess I could plug the clips to a car battery charger set at 12V. I just hope the power level(exact amps and volts) is safe using this method and wouldn't ruin anything.
it shouldn't, you could hook it up to a car battery though a voltmeter set to amps, and see how many amps it draws, I think it would be quite a bit, since my peak detect charger (for my 18MT's batteries), charges at a fast rate of 1.2 amps, so it should be drawing a bit, plus that is doing 2 at once, so, that should be quite a power hog
Old 12-14-2007, 10:59 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Calvino, thanks again for the help. I'll use my battery tester first then.

OK 2 more questions then I'm done... I think

Are there any rumors of a new e-savage? I'd wait in that case...

What should I set the charger at for longest life of the battery cells and the best performance of the truck itself, 1 amp, 2 amps, or 4 amps(that's what it'll do)? The reason I ask now is I won't have internet when I get the truck nor for a week and a half after I get the truck.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
cheech4

as of right now no, i dont think. but because the new E-maxx is coming to play i would not be surprised if in the near future maybe a year or 2 that there will be a new E-savvy
Old 12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
calvino

Calvino, thanks again for the help. I'll use my battery tester first then.

OK 2 more questions then I'm done... I think

Are there any rumors of a new e-savage? I'd wait in that case...

What should I set the charger at for longest life of the battery cells and the best performance of the truck itself, 1 amp, 2 amps, or 4 amps(that's what it'll do)? The reason I ask now is I won't have internet when I get the truck nor for a week and a half after I get the truck.

Thanks.
ok, this will take longer but 1 amp is best, since it slowly fills up the cell, it can have more "lasting charge", the thing is, a fast charge rate will give tons of 'peak power' but lasting charge will be less
Old 12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Dokioto

When I get new batts, for the first charge I like to keep the amps as low as I can stand (lower takes a lot longer to charge) Then go up for some performance increase (if I feel I need more).

I don't think you can say 1 amp is best though.. You want a little bit of everything
Old 12-15-2007, 01:21 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

When I get new batts, for the first charge I like to keep the amps as low as I can stand (lower takes a lot longer to charge) Then go up for some performance increase (if I feel I need more).

I don't think you can say 1 amp is best though.. You want a little bit of everything
yeah, that is a good point, like 4 amps for a few, then down to 1, and then maybe 3 amps, then at the end, give it a "shot" of 4 for peak power, just a thought
Old 12-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Dokioto

^ I don't know if that will give the same affect lol..

I have read in mags something called, step-charging though (almost the same thing). Top touring car racers use it.. While the pack charges the amps change at picked times (on charger?), and done correctly gives you an increase (in what ever you were trying to accomplish). Sounded interesting to me[:-]
Old 12-16-2007, 06:18 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Woohoo it's purchased (from LHS, time was running short). Just felt like sharing.
I'll start with 1 amp then after a few times 2 amps, then maybe 4 after a while...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM
PedeBeater

The only setback of the e-savage is the drive shafts. From what I have heard they will not hold up to anything over stock.

All the info I am sharing I got from many people that own these trucks. look on www.e-savage.com

I will be getting an e-savage very soon.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Thanks for the info PedeBeater. I plan to keep it stock except for maybe some better brushed motors, another set of 6 cell batteries and deans plugs in the future, maybe 7 cell packs with a fan way in the future, hopefully that wouldn't push the drive shafts to the limit[&:] No brushless and lipo or anything...

I've read a lot about the charger and batteries that come with it. The batteries are 3300's so I'm happy with that and consider it good myself($25 a piece estimate if bought separate, and 10-12min. run time is fine with me). And the included charger, I'm going to use a car battery charger as its power source so I'm fine there, however some people say it doesn't do a good job charging, one person said it only said it charges the packs 75%. Well the RCU e-savage review said it's a good charger, it's best for me to just believe that and not worry about buying another.[8D]

I want to break in the motors before I run the truck for the first time, my plan is to submerge them in a cup of water and let each run for 1 hour under the power of a D(1.5V) battery. Then when I take them out I'm supposed to spray them down with motor oil or WD-40 which is what I'm using, so does that mean flush out the insides of it(touching the brushes for example)? And then I'll use [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDA93&P=7]this oil[/link] on front and back of the motor, front as in where the bearing is. Does all of this sound rite? It's the inside of the motor that needs to be flushed out?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

I want to break in the motors before I run the truck for the first time, my plan is to submerge them in a cup of water and let each run for 1 hour under the power of a D(1.5V) battery. Then when I take them out I'm supposed to spray them down with motor oil or WD-40 which is what I'm using, so does that mean flush out the insides of it(touching the brushes for example)? And then I'll use [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDA93&P=7]this oil[/link] on front and back of the motor, front as in where the bearing is. Does all of this sound rite? It's the inside of the motor that needs to be flushed out?

Thanks.
Umm... Please?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:28 AM
calvino

Thanks.
Umm... Please?
yeah, that sounds good, I also hear you can brake in a motor at 1/2 throt for 5 mins, keep us posted man, was looking at one a while ago, as my first RC, but decided on an 18MT but am DYING to find out how good it is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.