Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

what is up with these registration fees?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

what is up with these registration fees?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what is up with these registration fees?

Being new to jets i was appalled by the gouging of peoples pockets in the name of jets. 50.00-70.00? reg fee to fly at an event? that's just wrong. oh here's comes the excuses like airport fees ect. well being a veteran of years of giant scale warbird events at airports, i've never seen at 30,50 or 70.00 reg fee ! i've never seen people being taken for a ride in all my life like i am at the jet meets. for what the right to fly a jet? i guess they just don't care that it takes some people hours to get to their event and support it . or the fact that it cost lots in fuel and hotel fee. i'm i guess i'm gonna have to learn to bend over better. that's my 2 cents[&o]
Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: what is up with these registration fees?

Only time I've been to events where the fee's were high like that was when they were 4 or more day events. I never felt it was unfair, still a hell of a lot cheaper than green fee's at a golf course. I've been to lots of fun flies where you paid $20 for a saturday / sunday and that's it. I've put on small jet rallies and the cost by the time you get use of the airstrip (assuming an airport) cost for bathrooms (portable toilets) fronting the money for refreshments, etc etc etc, it's a huge expense. Superman was the most expensive event I was ever at, I didn't fly, just watched, but the pilots fee's were $110 or something. But that was for 5 or 6 day's, a pizza and beer night on saturday (where it was supplied) and a fantastic site to fly from.

I never thought it was a rip off personally, I guess if a guy doesn't want to pay a fee for an event nobody is forcing them to go
Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same feeling, I have flown at giant scale events for 15 years and never paid $50.00 to fly.I believe that A fair price is $5.00 per day of the event. It's not the money but the principle. After all it takes alot of effort to go to a fly inn and alot of doe. The club that holds an event should take that into consideration. I think the profit should come from spectators, vending, raffle tickets, food sales ECT. The pilots have gone to alot of trouble to go to a fly inn. With out all the pilots there would't be much of a show. Mike
Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only SOME events cost that much.

Come to Liberty Bell, it's only $30 for all three days.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
warbird_1

well that would be fine if i only went to one event the whole summer,but i attend a lot of meets through the summer and those kind of fees can slow you down for sure.all the events i got to , you're the host clubs guest and are welcomed in because your supporting their event. here's another one of those "just brecause it's for a jet " things . the BVM uat tank, i found just the tank , no fittings for 7.00. then you add a 10.00 sock and 2.00 worth of fittings and you have a 60.00 plastic tank for 20.00 . it's just frustrating that's all . p.s. i don't golf. ok now i'm up to 4 cents
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
warbird_1

right on lucky , that's the point i was trying to get across
Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

If you do not want to pay the landing fee, just stay at home. If you want to pay only $5 to fly, you might as well stick to your warbid events.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I don't think you can paint all events with the same brush. Like a $5 per day brush.
While I know there are SOME events where the promoter makes some serious money, I really think most events DO NOT. Even if they charge $50 for one day. I think a lot of events are lucky to break even.
Try going to a few jet events, and then decide which ones feel like they were worth the money to you, and which not, then change your schedule next year accordingly.
But I would NOT assume that each and every event that charges $50 or $100 is actually making a bunch of money...it really depends. And don't assume all jet events are charging that much, either.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

While I know there are SOME events where the promoter makes some serious money
The last time I checked, there is nothing wrong when you get a good return on your investment.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Warbird, try putting on an event and see why there is a chatge for some of these events.
I make about 4 - 5 jet events a year, plus other non jet events, and yes I pay landing fees at the jet event, on avaerage about $25-30 bucks. and most of the other events are either free to fly or under a $5 dollar landing fee.

I am hosting a jet event in Sept of this year. If i was to get 50 pilots to register at 25 a head i will probably still loose money, airport fees, port a john, sanction fees, web sites, odds and ends, DJ/announcer.airport wont even let us sell food for extra money they will sell the food.

Warbird, which events have you gone to that they charged you 50 - 70 bucks for registration?

Mark
Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

The last time I checked, there is nothing wrong when you get a good return on your investment.
Hey, I myself don't have a problem with it. Promoters or clubs or CDs can charge whatever they want, does not bother me. Even the worst prices, $100 or so for a 3-7 day event, I, personally, don't find them heinous, and I don't have a problem with someone making money off it.
I don't think the OP is correct in that most events DO make money. Only a few. Whatever they charge.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:06 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's only a problem if it wasn't worth it. Most events I've been to, the fun was worth much more than sny fees.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Do some of these events involve payments to the operators of full size airfields for the use of their facilities? - John.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:10 AM
F-22-Raptor

Question

Why is there a fee at all? The event can only take place when pilots are attending. The pure event costs should be covered by they earnings of selling drinks and food and gadgets.

This is how it works here in germany. Nobody will attend an event you have to pay for. At least it is a honour for the event organizer to have as much representative pilots as possible.

When I go to an event, I get asked some months before and then if I attend I have normaly a voucher for the day I am attending to get drinks and/or food. The rest are my costs like travelling, hotel and so on.

Andreas
Old 07-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andreas Unterbusch

Question

Why is there a fee at all? The event can only take place when pilots are attending. The pure event costs should be covered by they earnings of selling drinks and food and gadgets.

This is how it works here in germany. Nobody will attend an event you have to pay for. At least it is a honour for the event organizer to have as much representative pilots as possible.

When I go to an event, I get asked some months before and then if I attend I have normaly a voucher for the day I am attending to get drinks and/or food. The rest are my costs like travelling, hotel and so on.

Andreas
Andreas---For a few major events over we get Eurpeans in droves and they don't seem unhappy to pay---

Personally, I think that the guys running these events have a thankless job and the small fee we pay is NOTHING in comparison to what we shell out for our equipment........Warbird, complaining about $50????----And we fly some of the most expensive toys in our hobby!!!! C'mon, you get what you pay for!!!!

Kevin
Old 07-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Like Mark & all said it takes alot of money to run an average jet event,ALOT of planning & setup.I know this cause I see what the CD here has to go thru here each & every year for our local jet rally.I help him setup every year & it takes atleast 3-4 hours just to get the pits,tents up,spectator netting up,flight line clear ,etc etc.He goes thru alot of work to get all ready for the event.You got the cost of renting out the facility,port-a-johns,and on & on.And in retrospect like mentioned by someone else most events only run 30-40 bucks for a full 2/3 day event.And mind you OUR local event is a lower key one that doesn't take near as much preperation as the much bigger venues

RC Jets is a very expensive hobby & long story short if you gotta complain about the money it costs,etc to fly jets you REALLY should look for another hobby! monies paid out for a jet event is just the start of what the jet hobby is gonna cost you.You always get guys stating that "I'm looking for a cheaper servo for my jet" or can I do this save some money??The hobby just isn't for you if you gotta ask these questions.I am NOT directing this towards any one person,I am just saying it like it is..lI love this hobby with all my heart & I work extremely hard for my money but it is worth EVERY dollar it cost to me & then some.I never ever complain about spending money on jets cause I got into this great hobby knowing how expensive it was gonna be.In my opinion there is no better thrill than flying a turbine jet !

Steve
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 AM
warbird_1

i'll tell you guys what. i'm looking into hosting an event at an airport. if i get the green light and it doesn't cost me a dime ,i'll still nail ya 50.00 to come seeings how your so qucik to part with your money hahaha. oh i never said i was against reg fees . i was against high reg fees . for example, if superman charges 100.00 a head to fly and 200 pilots show up thats 2,000.00 just in pilot fees and then you have parking, vendors fees ect. i know how it works . i've put on the small but fun curtiss model meet as well as other events .
making money is good , it helps to improve your event. just don't use us pilots to make your money
Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 AM
warbird_1

now if your talking 10 bucks a day. that's not bad . it gives me the option on how long i can fly. many times i go for one day and i can't see giving someone 30-50-100 bucks to fly a few times for one day . i think my point is being missed here
Old 07-05-2006, 06:56 AM
warbird_1

maybe you should consider finding another airport that would be more open to you as far as food vending . p.s are you going to showup at your event "wink"

ORIGINAL: trioval00

Warbird, try putting on an event and see why there is a chatge for some of these events.
I make about 4 - 5 jet events a year, plus other non jet events, and yes I pay landing fees at the jet event, on avaerage about $25-30 bucks. and most of the other events are either free to fly or under a $5 dollar landing fee.

I am hosting a jet event in Sept of this year. If i was to get 50 pilots to register at 25 a head i will probably still loose money, airport fees, port a john, sanction fees, web sites, odds and ends, DJ/announcer.airport wont even let us sell food for extra money they will sell the food.

Warbird, which events have you gone to that they charged you 50 - 70 bucks for registration?

Mark
Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 AM
warbird_1

No one said there was anything wrong with a return on your investment, I REPEAT DO NOT USE PILOTS TO MAKE YOUR MONEY[>:]

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 AM
pilott34

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

. for example, if superman charges 100.00 a head to fly and 200 pilots show up thats 2,000.00 just in pilot fees and then you have parking, vendors fees ect. i know how it works .

If you do the math...its actually $20,000.

When I ran pensacola jets last year...I thought like you. Registration fees were minimal. When I was planning the event I NEVER imagined how much the event was going to cost me. The port a potties were extremely expensive, along with all the small nick nacks you have to have. I ended up $500 in the hole for the event. In addition to the money, it set me back countless hours of time making reservations, buying supplies, coordinating with airport officials, setting up etc. But you know what?? Everyone had a great time and it was worth it to me. Although I am not willing to operate at a loss again this year. Superman may be a little pricey, but I flew for 5 days. Its $20 for an entire day of entertainment. Im with Steve and Jeremy on this, if you complain about $20 a day... take up jogging for a hobby or something. But...those shoes will cost ya $70!

Im still at 2 cents.

Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Last Jet Event I went to cost me $50 entry fee for 4 days, a little over $200 in gas to get there, $89 per night for a hotel room, over $90 worth of kerosene burned during the event, about $120 for my evening meals, etc., etc.... Seems to me that of all the costs, the $50 entry fee was the cheapest part, and at least it included free lunches, T-shirt etc., not to mention the myriad items that cost the event organizer several thousand dollars - from porta potties to fencing, water trucks, tents, etc., etc.

Anyway - what counts to me isn't the absolute cost of the entry fee, it's how much enjoyment I get in return for that fee. I've been to events where I paid a mere $15 entry fee, and got less enjoyment per dollar than events where I've paid $75.

If you find a given fee to be too high, just don't go. If most people agree with you that it's not worth the money, the event will simply stop happening. Conversely, if others consider it money well spent, then they can enjoy that event year after year while you stay home.

To each their own.

Gordon
Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: pilott34

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

. for example, if superman charges 100.00 a head to fly and 200 pilots show up thats 2,000.00 just in pilot fees and then you have parking, vendors fees ect. i know how it works .

If you do the math...its actually $20,000.

When I ran pensacola jets last year...I thought like you. Registration fees were minimal. When I was planning the event I NEVER imagined how much the event was going to cost me. The port a potties were extremely expensive, along with all the small nick nacks you have to have. I ended up $500 in the hole for the event. In addition to the money, it set me back countless hours of time making reservations, buying supplies, coordinating with airport officials, setting up etc. But you know what?? Everyone had a great time and it was worth it to me. Although I am not willing to operate at a loss again this year. Superman may be a little pricey, but I flew for 5 days. Its $20 for an entire day of entertainment. Im with Steve and Jeremy on this, if you complain about $20 a day... take up jogging for a hobby or something. But...those shoes will cost ya $70!

Im still at 2 cents.

Mike
I think the above is a more typical experience for someone running an event. They are lucky to break even.

Why are we arguing with a guy who multiplies $200x100 and gets $2000, anyway?

But, again, I think there are only a scant handful of events here in the US that might actually be PROFITABLE to any significant degree...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

The MAC this year.....Francis donated $800.00 in tenderloin and salmon. The entry fee was $40.00..............the fellowship....................priceless
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Andreas Unterbusch

Question

Andreas
You will have to forgive us, on this Fourth Of July, 2006, if we do not adopt in full your oh-so-enlightened German system of running events.
I'm quite sure that if event coordinators here in the US COULD run their events with no landing fee altogether, they most surely would.
Tell you what, though, I will meet you at least halfway...

INVITE AND FOOD AND DRINK VOUCHER

I hereby INVITE Andreas Unterbusch to the 2007 Big Apple Jet Rally. I will personally fork over the $10 landing fee for Andreas' appearance to CD Vinny Carratazzolo, and will hand Andreas a crisp, clean $20 bill which he may use as he sees fit for food and drink at Big Lou's Lunch Truck, who usually shows up around noon. While Big Lou may not be able to provide beer or weisswurst or other German delicacies, he does have reasonably cold Gatorade for $2 a pop, and hot dogs that have been brewing and stewing since the beginning of the flying season, around May. I make no promises about wind conditions being actually suitable for flying model airplanes, but I will at least execute due dilligence to secure Andreas Adil Nasim's autograph, and get him a private interview with celebrity jet pilot Wojtek Izwanzyc.

Just print this out and bring it along next June, and you will be all set!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.